Creak in front hub area - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
SpottyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
2013 JKS. No mods. Went offroading, damaged steering damper. Replaced damper with an OEM. No issues with install. But have a creak sound in passenger side front hub area when turning the wheels. Happens in both directions. I can manually turn the hub by grabbing the disc brake and rotating the assembly left and right and sounds occurs. Sound not coming from power steering box. It is at the hub area. I will try to post a video. TIA for any ideas. Cant figure out how to add a video using my phone. Here is a pic of the area I am refferring to.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A61A245A-26C9-4B4C-94F6-8FBDEF0E86A7_1533602788040.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	4084585  
__________________
Own: 2014 JKUS & 2013 JKS
SpottyJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:45 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,312
You said rotating, was that spinning the assembly or basically simulating turning the steering wheel?

__________________
*Often posts while drunk, responses and post after 6pm pst and the following 12 hours should never be taken seriously. You have been warned.
fuzzylogic_y2k is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
i'm back

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 13,706
i'd bet you have a bad u-joint in the axle shaft (if by turning the wheels you mean the tires are spinning)... if you hear the creek sound when the tires aren't moving, then it's probably a tie-rod end.

the common culprits are u-joints and wheel bearings. kind of hard to diagnose without more information.
__________________
-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition - SOLD
2016 JKUR - Family Edition

i will spend way too much money on it... that's all


Do you like bacon? I do too, but only supporting members really like bacon, so.... Support the WranglerForum, you spend enough time here! Click here to find out how to become a Supporting Member...


Do it! DO IT NOW!!!!!
tabber02 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
SpottyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic_y2k View Post
You said rotating, was that spinning the assembly or basically simulating turning the steering wheel?
Yes, I meant simulating turning the steering wheel (using brute force). Thanks.
__________________
Own: 2014 JKUS & 2013 JKS
SpottyJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:42 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
SpottyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber02 View Post
i'd bet you have a bad u-joint in the axle shaft (if by turning the wheels you mean the tires are spinning)... if you hear the creek sound when the tires aren't moving, then it's probably a tie-rod end.

the common culprits are u-joints and wheel bearings. kind of hard to diagnose without more information.
Yes, just turning the steering wheel (either by me pulling/push on rotor to turn, or by steering wheel), no wheel/tire rotation needed to create the creak.

Thanks. I know little about suspension. Although I am handy. So appreciate any guidance.
__________________
Own: 2014 JKUS & 2013 JKS
SpottyJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottyJ View Post
Yes, I meant simulating turning the steering wheel (using brute force). Thanks.
Probably bad u joint. But there is an outside chance of a steering box failure at the sector shaft. Btw did you lube the bushing on the new dampener?
__________________
*Often posts while drunk, responses and post after 6pm pst and the following 12 hours should never be taken seriously. You have been warned.
fuzzylogic_y2k is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
SpottyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic_y2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottyJ View Post
Yes, I meant simulating turning the steering wheel (using brute force). Thanks.
Probably bad u joint. But there is an outside chance of a steering box failure at the sector shaft. Btw did you lube the bushing on the new dampener?
No idea what a “sector shaft” is, I will google that!

Yes, lubed the bushing on the damper. - Thank you for checking.
__________________
Own: 2014 JKUS & 2013 JKS
SpottyJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottyJ View Post
No idea what a “sector shaft” is, I will google that!

Yes, lubed the bushing on the damper. - Thank you for checking.
It is a weak part of the steering box but it is on the drivers side so likely not the issue.
__________________
*Often posts while drunk, responses and post after 6pm pst and the following 12 hours should never be taken seriously. You have been warned.
fuzzylogic_y2k is offline   Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
SpottyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
Uploaded a video of the passenger side front hub area, squeak occurs when turning steering. Sound emanates from somewhere in/around front hub. In other words, sound not the power steering or in engine bay, etc..


Steering wheel is being turned while I videoed around the hub area to see if any visible signs of an issue.



https://youtu.be/Jwhwe7LoT70


Thanks.
__________________
Own: 2014 JKUS & 2013 JKS
SpottyJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
i'm back

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 13,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottyJ View Post
Uploaded a video of the passenger side front hub area, squeak occurs when turning steering. Sound emanates from somewhere in/around front hub. In other words, sound not the power steering or in engine bay, etc..

Steering wheel is being turned while I videoed around the hub area to see if any visible signs of an issue.


https://youtu.be/Jwhwe7LoT70


Thanks.
that sounds like the steering stabilizer. squeaking as the rod goes into the body of the stabilizer. is it louder going in one direction than the other? with as slowly as you're turning it, it's got to be the stabilizer.
__________________
-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition - SOLD
2016 JKUR - Family Edition

i will spend way too much money on it... that's all


Do you like bacon? I do too, but only supporting members really like bacon, so.... Support the WranglerForum, you spend enough time here! Click here to find out how to become a Supporting Member...


Do it! DO IT NOW!!!!!
tabber02 is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
SpottyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber02 View Post
that sounds like the steering stabilizer. squeaking as the rod goes into the body of the stabilizer. is it louder going in one direction than the other? with as slowly as you're turning it, it's got to be the stabilizer.



Is the steering stabilizer the same thing as the steering damper (the shock mounted horizontal)? If so, that was damaged and replaced. That damage/off-roading event is what triggered the squeaking to start. But the creak was occurring before and after replacing the damaged steering damper. And the noise is coming from right around the hub area.
__________________
Own: 2014 JKUS & 2013 JKS
SpottyJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #12
i'm back

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 13,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottyJ View Post
Is the steering stabilizer the same thing as the steering damper (the shock mounted horizontal)? If so, that was damaged and replaced. That damage/off-roading event is what triggered the squeaking to start. But the creak was occurring before and after replacing the damaged steering damper. And the noise is coming from right around the hub area.
yes, they are the same thing. based on what i heard, that's what I would look at. if you unbolt the steering stabilizer, does it still make that noise?

__________________
-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition - SOLD
2016 JKUR - Family Edition

i will spend way too much money on it... that's all


Do you like bacon? I do too, but only supporting members really like bacon, so.... Support the WranglerForum, you spend enough time here! Click here to find out how to become a Supporting Member...


Do it! DO IT NOW!!!!!
tabber02 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.