Fox front shocks - mechanic said wrong size - Help! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-19-2016, 02:36 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
bernjku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 101
Fox front shocks - mechanic said wrong size - Help!

Hi, I bought a set of Fox front shocks (FOX980-24-887) and a set of rear shocks (FOX980-24-888). The fronts were listed at 1.5-3" lift. Took it to a local mechanic I use for some things, and he tried to put the fronts on and said they were too big and I just need to reorder stock sized. He mentioned things like tight brake lines and drive shaft issues.

I went home and called Northridge and explained the scenario. They reviewed my order (above) and said that's exactly what they would recommend with my Jeep setup and to try a local 4x4 shop that deals with Jeeps (see next post!).

Currently, I've got a 2015 JKU and I'm running only a 1.5 inch Teraflex leveling kit along with OEM 19/60 takeoff springs (which boosted me up a bit from my softer ones) and Rubicon OEM takeoff shocks with 50,000 combined miles now (so I wanted to replace them with a good Black Friday deal).

Should these Fox shocks work with my setup? And, if so, what should the new installer know before he tries to install?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Bern

bernjku is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,757
Im assuming too long ? Did they disco the brake/abs lines from the coil perch ? Longer shocks are not a issue as long as the coils stay seated at max droop. If the body is longer, enough bump stop to not over compress.
If your DS hits the exhaust pipe you need exhaust spacers.

kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
rsmwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: RSM, CA
Posts: 2,300
According to the specs for the front shocks you bought, (25" extended, 15.5 compressed), they should work with the stock 19 springs, though i'll add coil retainers for the front for piece of mind (assuming you're disconnecting your front sway bar), if disconnecting, and if the shocks are longer than 25", you may run into issues with your driveshaft and factory exhaust rubbing, 25" is about the max you can go without rubbing, but not all Jeeps are created equal, if it rubs at full droop, i think some people fix that with a exhaust spacer, they seem to be a pita to install, and then you can run into vibration issues later on if you put belly skids, it never ends, something always get in the way somehow ... , an aftermarket DS will definitely fix it for good, although more expensive.

As for the brakes lines, you don't need new lines with those shocks, just extended upper brackets, it'll be a good idea to get rid of the factory metal brackets that hold the brake lines from the front lower shock tower for even more slack, but with 25" extended shocks, just extending the lines with brackets from the upper portion does the work.

If you don't want to deal with anything other than a simple shock change, the Fox 0-1" will do that, or even better, for a factory "for sure is going to work kind of deal", new Rubi shocks.

You can make the long ones work, but if you have to ask a mechanic to install your shocks, i'll better go with shocks that i know will work with the factory springs.

Good luck.
__________________
2013 JKUS A5 | Socal Stock: 2.5" OME Frankenlift | 4.56's | Detroit TT Front | Eaton E-locker Rear | Steel Bumpers | Winch | Rockhard Oil/Trans, Evap Skids ,Rock Sliders | MB 352's 17x9 -12 offs | Nitto Trail Grapplers 315/70/17 | Magnaflow 10416/Dynomax 24246 | Hptuners VCM 3.6 | Superchips Flashcal
My Build
rsmwrangler is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-19-2016, 04:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
bernjku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Im assuming too long ? Did they disco the brake/abs lines from the coil perch ? Longer shocks are not a issue as long as the coils stay seated at max droop. If the body is longer, enough bump stop to not over compress.
If your DS hits the exhaust pipe you need exhaust spacers.
Yes, I think you nailed it. He didn't disconnect the brake lines, although afterwards, that's what the Northridge folks said would likely have to happen. Not sure about the coil at max droop - will confirm moving forward. And he was concerned about the DS and it's location to the exhaust pipe. Thanks for the guidance!
bernjku is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
bernjku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmwrangler View Post
According to the specs for the front shocks you bought, (25" extended, 15.5 compressed), they should work with the stock 19 springs, though i'll add coil retainers for the front for piece of mind (assuming you're disconnecting your front sway bar), if disconnecting, and if the shocks are longer than 25", you may run into issues with your driveshaft and factory exhaust rubbing, 25" is about the max you can go without rubbing, but not all Jeeps are created equal, if it rubs at full droop, i think some people fix that with a exhaust spacer, they seem to be a pita to install, and then you can run into vibration issues later on if you put belly skids, it never ends, something always get in the way somehow ... , an aftermarket DS will definitely fix it for good, although more expensive.

As for the brakes lines, you don't need new lines with those shocks, just extended upper brackets, it'll be a good idea to get rid of the factory metal brackets that hold the brake lines from the front lower shock tower for even more slack, but with 25" extended shocks, just extending the lines with brackets from the upper portion does the work.

If you don't want to deal with anything other than a simple shock change, the Fox 0-1" will do that, or even better, for a factory "for sure is going to work kind of deal", new Rubi shocks.

You can make the long ones work, but if you have to ask a mechanic to install your shocks, i'll better go with shocks that i know will work with the factory springs.

Good luck.
Lots of good info in here. Thanks! Didn't think that much alterations needed to happen - Wish I would've just done the 0-1 Fox from the start. Now, I'll have to see about shipping and returning these and replacing with the 0-1 and seeing if they'll honor the sale price replacement versus extensions and brackets and such - I'll research the price differences. I definitely don't want to go the driveshaft route with only a 1.5 leveling kit. I'd rather just change the front shocks and not mess with drive shaft unless I go with more lift later.

Dum question - The rears that I have shouldn't be an issue, right? I think it was only the 1.5-3 fronts that require the modifications. He didn't even open and attempt the rears after he ran into concerns with the fronts.
bernjku is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
FFEMT510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Forest, VA
Posts: 581
As long as you limit up travel via bumpstops, and down travel via spring retainers or limit straps (better), then your shocks will be ok. Fox DOES NOT recommend using their shocks as bumpstops and limiters--I know some other companies say it is ok, but Fox recently responded to an email I sent stating, "The shocks will take a few hits on either way but repetitive abuse will cause damage."
__________________
2005 LJ Rubicon | Deep Beryl Green Pearl | JCR | ACE | JKS 2"| FOX | KMC XD Series | Falken 33's | Diablo | MCE | Die-Tech Off Road | Quadratec | RotoPaX | sPOD | Off Road Only | Rigid | Rugged Ridge| WARN | Factor55 | ARB | Hi-Lift | Kahlee 2015 JKUR Supercharged on 37s Sold
IG @Kahlee_JKUR
FFEMT510 is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
bernjku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFEMT510 View Post
As long as you limit up travel via bumpstops, and down travel via spring retainers or limit straps (better), then your shocks will be ok. Fox DOES NOT recommend using their shocks as bumpstops and limiters--I know some other companies say it is ok, but Fox recently responded to an email I sent stating, "The shocks will take a few hits on either way but repetitive abuse will cause damage."
Thanks for the heads-up and info. I am starting to understand better what needs to be considered if I choose to run these. At first, I mistakenly just thought "Keep lift under 3" and you don't have to worry about anything additional except shocks and coils." Oldest and most effective style of learning - from your mistakes!
bernjku is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
FFEMT510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Forest, VA
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernjku View Post
Thanks for the heads-up and info. I am starting to understand better what needs to be considered if I choose to run these. At first, I mistakenly just thought "Keep lift under 3" and you don't have to worry about anything additional except shocks and coils." Oldest and most effective style of learning - from your mistakes!
Not a mistake--You got a good quality shock that will suit you when your build grows. Just make sure you protect them to get longevity out of them.

__________________
2005 LJ Rubicon | Deep Beryl Green Pearl | JCR | ACE | JKS 2"| FOX | KMC XD Series | Falken 33's | Diablo | MCE | Die-Tech Off Road | Quadratec | RotoPaX | sPOD | Off Road Only | Rigid | Rugged Ridge| WARN | Factor55 | ARB | Hi-Lift | Kahlee 2015 JKUR Supercharged on 37s Sold
IG @Kahlee_JKUR
FFEMT510 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.