Front Axle Shaft Retaining Nut Size? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Baby Sound
  • 2 Post By Blue Baby Sound
  • 1 Post By Prages
  • 1 Post By sfominR32
  • 1 Post By Prages
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-23-2018, 07:38 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 2,240
Front Axle Shaft Retaining Nut Size?

I'm going to be replacing the front passenger side wheel bearing/hub assembly, and I probably don't have the correct socket to fit the axle shaft retaining nut. I was just wondering if anybody knows off the top of their head what size socket I'll need. I found the nut on Quadratec's website, but it doesn't say what size it is.


I have a 2011 Wrangler Sport.


I'd like to go ahead and get the socket before I start so I don't have to make a trip to the store mid-project.


Thanks.

Prages is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Wrangler Forum Crew

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 15,339
My '14 and '18 are 36 mm, I would think the '11 is the same.
Prages likes this.

__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
Wrangler Forum Crew

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 15,339
Also make sure you have a 12 point 13mm for the 3 bolts that hold on the unit bearing. My kit only had 6 point in it.
derf and Prages like this.
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-23-2018, 08:20 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 2,240
Thank you!


I'm pretty sure I have 13mm 12 point sockets, but it never hurts to have 2! I'll pick one up when I get my 36mm.
Blue Baby Sound likes this.
Prages is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
sfominR32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prages View Post
I'm going to be replacing the front passenger side wheel bearing/hub assembly, and I probably don't have the correct socket to fit the axle shaft retaining nut. I was just wondering if anybody knows off the top of their head what size socket I'll need. I found the nut on Quadratec's website, but it doesn't say what size it is.


I have a 2011 Wrangler Sport.


I'd like to go ahead and get the socket before I start so I don't have to make a trip to the store mid-project.


Thanks.
When looking for one for myself, i saw either 35 mm or 36 mm. I didnt want to take a chance and bought a 5-piece on amazon for like $30 and ended up using the 36 mm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Prages likes this.
sfominR32 is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
Also make sure you have a 12 point 13mm for the 3 bolts that hold on the unit bearing. My kit only had 6 point in it.
Absolutely this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfominR32 View Post
When looking for one for myself, i saw either 35 mm or 36 mm. I didnt want to take a chance and bought a 5-piece on amazon for like $30 and ended up using the 36 mm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a drawer full of oversize sockets to work on older D30's, JK D30's, old school front Dana 44's, up to 1 ton axles. I just rummage around until I find the socket that fits. But yeah, I do remember it being 36mm.

I toss the old generation D44 spindle nut socket (a special shape socket) as well as the 35 and 36mm sockets in my trail kit. I can work on about 90% of the vehicles out on the trail that way.
__________________
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1991 MJ - 2.5/AX5/D35
1987 MJ - 4.0/BA10-5/D35
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 2,240
Turns out I do have a 36mm socket. Bought it to change the fuel filters on my f250. I went ahead and picked up a 12 point 13mm though.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Blue Baby Sound likes this.

Prages is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.