HOT OIL Warning -- 2007 JK - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-19-2016, 04:14 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Derelict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 383
HOT OIL Warning -- 2007 JK

I was wheeling in the mountains east of San Diego and all of a sudden a warning I'd never seen before, "HOT OIL," began flashing and ringing loudly on my dash. I wasn't doing anything usual or especially challenging, just climbing a rough jeep road that was hardly beyond beginner. My crankcase showed the oil temp was fine, and I looked under the hood and everything was normal. It was only after consulting WF that I learned the "oil" was the transmission fluid, not the crankcase oil. [Another brilliant move by Jeep/Chrysler.] Also that the situation is very serious.

So my question is -- was the fluid damaged or degraded for even the 30-60 seconds while it was too hot? Should I flush the transmission fluid system and replace it with fresh fluid? Is there anything else I should consider doing? Again, I stopped as quickly as I could when the alarm began ringing but it did take another 30 seconds of driving to get to a flat place out of the way of the other vehicles?

Thanks for any advice.

P.S.: For now at least, don't ask me to call the dealer service shop. I called them before doing my homework on WF and the clown said he'd never heard of the HOT OIL light and, if the warning went away, everything was probably just fine anyway. [He won't be working there after his General Manager receives the letter I'm going to write.]

__________________
Tom aka "Derelict"

"Yeah, I know he's obsessed with his jeep, but it's better than an affair." From one wife to another
Derelict is offline   Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 6,202
I have seen that pop up from time to time, usually it is because people are driving around in 4H when they should be in 4L.

__________________
Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 35 spline Yukon shafts, Reid Knuckles, 40" Comp Trepadors, 3 link front, triangulated 4 link rear, 14" coilovers front and rear, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist, SuperWinch 9500,
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/t...ad-272841.html
Tweak is offline   Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
NotARubicon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 2,708
Your Jeep is/will be fine.. Next time, use 4L when going up those hills/tough spots..
WHY on earth the geniuses decided to make it say HOT OIL instead of HOT TRANS is beyond me..
NotARubicon! is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
SoK66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom h View Post
I was wheeling in the mountains east of San Diego and all of a sudden a warning I'd never seen before, "HOT OIL," began flashing and ringing loudly on my dash. I wasn't doing anything usual or especially challenging, just climbing a rough jeep road that was hardly beyond beginner. My crankcase showed the oil temp was fine, and I looked under the hood and everything was normal. It was only after consulting WF that I learned the "oil" was the transmission fluid, not the crankcase oil. [Another brilliant move by Jeep/Chrysler.] Also that the situation is very serious. So my question is -- was the fluid damaged or degraded for even the 30-60 seconds while it was too hot? Should I flush the transmission fluid system and replace it with fresh fluid? Is there anything else I should consider doing? Again, I stopped as quickly as I could when the alarm began ringing but it did take another 30 seconds of driving to get to a flat place out of the way of the other vehicles? Thanks for any advice. P.S.: For now at least, don't ask me to call the dealer service shop. I called them before doing my homework on WF and the clown said he'd never heard of the HOT OIL light and, if the warning went away, everything was probably just fine anyway. [He won't be working there after his General Manager receives the letter I'm going to write.]
3.8L JK automatics have woefully inadequate transmission cooling capacity. The cooler is at the bottom of the A/C condenser, behind the front bumper. You've experienced the common symptom, but taken to tremendous the fluid can overheat, expand, runout the fill tube and pour onto the passenger side exhaust manifold. At that point it ignites and can set the entire rig on fire. Many cases have been documented.

The simple fix is to install an auxiliary trans cooler. There are several dedicated kits on the market, but even a parts store it will get the job done. Even Mopar has a kit, sold as a "towing" accessory. Whatever, get one installed ASAP.
__________________
Jeeps: Where my 401(k) went to die!
SoK66 is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:02 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Derelict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
3.8L JK automatics have woefully inadequate transmission cooling capacity. The cooler is at the bottom of the A/C condenser, behind the front bumper. You've experienced the common symptom, but taken to tremendous the fluid can overheat, expand, runout the fill tube and pour onto the passenger side exhaust manifold. At that point it ignites and can set the entire rig on fire. Many cases have been documented.

The simple fix is to install an auxiliary trans cooler. There are several dedicated kits on the market, but even a parts store it will get the job done. Even Mopar has a kit, sold as a "towing" accessory. Whatever, get one installed ASAP.
Nice answer. Do you have a recommended cooler? Or should I just get the ones on Amazon?

Also, do I need to flush the tranny fluid or just leave it be?
__________________
Tom aka "Derelict"

"Yeah, I know he's obsessed with his jeep, but it's better than an affair." From one wife to another
Derelict is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 6,202
Check the color of the fluid. Red fluid is good. Dark fluid is bad and will smell burned.
__________________
Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 35 spline Yukon shafts, Reid Knuckles, 40" Comp Trepadors, 3 link front, triangulated 4 link rear, 14" coilovers front and rear, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist, SuperWinch 9500,
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/t...ad-272841.html
Tweak is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 109
YES

Add the B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler

Mount towards the right side of the radiator and run the hoses under the front and splice in as directed in posts about this. The hose length will be just right. This is easy peazy with basic hand tools. I added a temp controller fan to mine, but the cooler should be fine by itself. You won't see that warning again.

If you need help or more info let me know.
Unlimited_Fun is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
SoK66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom h View Post
Nice answer. Do you have a recommended cooler? Or should I just get the ones on Amazon? Also, do I need to flush the tranny fluid or just leave it be?
I have the Mopar cooler, which mounts and is plumbed as if it was OEM. Kind of pricey. Mishimoto and ORW have excellent dedicated kits as well. However the B&M kit noted is just as good for adding cooling capacity.

You'd only have to change the fluid if it looks and smells burned. Chrysler uses ATF+4, which is a pinkish red. It stinks a bit like burned fluid. My hunch is yours is OK, but if the rig is near the recommended 60k mile change point might as well change it and the fluid at the same time.
__________________
Jeeps: Where my 401(k) went to die!
SoK66 is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
BE AWARE OF THE DRAGON..

WF Lifetime Member
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hot as Hell Arizona, the home of the mighty Dragon. Beware of your surrounding, because of DANGER!
Posts: 34,251
If it was my Wrangler, I would have the trans oil and filter changed. Having it serviced is cheap insurance, verses a transmission rebuild!!!

I would also definitely have a external cooler added. The B&M SuperCooler, has a excellent reputation...
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Dragon is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 109
My tranny measured 297 degrees on my thermal imager at the snow line at 39 degree outside temp while driving at around 10mph. This also happened to me in the summer time with long climbs up logging roads. Even after more than once, my oil did not look burned or discolored at all, it still looks new.

When I added the cooler, I did let it warm up then top off with a bit more fluid. I captured the fluid in a box with some newspaper when I cut the lines and I swear it was not even a cup of leakage.

For the price and labor, don't put this off, just get it done and never have to worry again.


.

Unlimited_Fun is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.