Hyraulic or gas shocks? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 173
Hyraulic or gas shocks?

What is the basic difference between these shocks and which is better for a dd and which is better for off road?

dynojoe is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynojoe View Post
What is the basic difference between these shocks and which is better for a dd and which is better for off road?
You want mono-tube gas shocks. This can be debated forever between a monotube and twin tube shock, but generally speaking for how most people use Jeeps, its not even a question. High pressure monotubes are going to be better in just about every way. Frankly, there is way more information that you could learn about this but instead of me reverberating information that is already out there, just do a quick google search for monotube vs twintube and you will see the various arguments.

KTM-16 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
RuDawg7890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sinking Spring, PA
Posts: 1,474
+1 on KTM's suggestion. Google search yields quick results on this topic.
My extraction from doing such, gas best for off-road, hydraulic best for DD.
Some/many prefer gas on & off road.
__________________
My Build Thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/be...d-1621241.html
RuDawg7890 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuDawg7890 View Post
+1 on KTM's suggestion. Google search yields quick results on this topic.
My extraction from doing such, gas best for off-road, hydraulic best for DD.
Some/many prefer gas on & off road.
Yeah, it really boils down to the tuning.... gas monotubes can appear stiff to some people depending on how the vehicle is equipped, but most manufactures use a method called deflective disc valving where they can essentially create a ride quality for however you want...adjusting compression, rebound, bleed circuits, etc. Twin tubes can appear to be better for a DD because they have a lot less pressure, so they are softer - but that doesn't necessarily mean better performance. It also means a bit of sloppiness, plus if you do get into offroading they can cavitate quicker which means bye bye shock. Also can't run them upside down, although thats probably not relevant unless your building a buggy or something
KTM-16 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
RuDawg7890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sinking Spring, PA
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM-16 View Post
Yeah, it really boils down to the tuning.... gas monotubes can appear stiff to some people depending on how the vehicle is equipped, but most manufactures use a method called deflective disc valving where they can essentially create a ride quality for however you want...adjusting compression, rebound, bleed circuits, etc. Twin tubes can appear to be better for a DD because they have a lot less pressure, so they are softer - but that doesn't necessarily mean better performance. It also means a bit of sloppiness, plus if you do get into offroading they can cavitate quicker which means bye bye shock. Also can't run them upside down, although thats probably not relevant unless your building a buggy or something
I prefer the gas mono all the time.
Two vehicles ago I had a 1995 Explorer. Stock shocks were very spongy. Lots of sway. Replaced with Bilstein's and loved it!
I'm too frugal(cheap) to replace my stock shocks on the Jeep yet, but they will certainly be mono's.

I read that the hydraulic ones can overheat during repetitive compressions and 'give out'.
__________________
My Build Thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/be...d-1621241.html
RuDawg7890 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuDawg7890 View Post
I prefer the gas mono all the time.
Two vehicles ago I had a 1995 Explorer. Stock shocks were very spongy. Lots of sway. Replaced with Bilstein's and loved it!
I'm too frugal(cheap) to replace my stock shocks on the Jeep yet, but they will certainly be mono's.

I read that the hydraulic ones can overheat during repetitive compressions and 'give out'.
Bilsteins are the original monotube and a great shock!

Regarding the overheating comment, that is exactly what I was describing and is called 'cavitation'. This can happen with monotubes also to be fair (which is why reservoir shocks are an option too), but twintubes are definitely more of a culprit because they already do not have the oil separate from the gas which is the beginning of how cavitation occurs. Monotube shocks have a wafer separator which separates the gas and oil.

KTM-16 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.