I am having problems with my nuts. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
I am having problems with my nuts.

What a mess chrysler or whoever makes jeep now....

I have done my share of manifold flange bolts that meet cats...

No they are never fun....

Why would any car manufacturer put cats so close to an engine????

Which makes them more difficult to get to flange bolts....and cooks the engine which is probably why this jk also has cracked exahust manifolds...
(I do have my third grade edubication and even I know these things)

Such heat near an engine can lead to blocked oil passages,expanding and contracting metals which can screw up gaskets....leading to leaks...blah blah blah...

I am just pissed..

I am in an epic flange nut battle.

I will not lose.

Which the flange bolts are often cooked and rusted.

Older model cars had the nut welded to the flange...

These modern cars have the flange nuts in a casing that isnt welded,which is supposed to keep the nut from turning while you turn the flange bolts....

These flange nut casing that are supposed to keep the nut from turning arent very heavy duty...

So the nut casings break and then the nut just spins freely and now your in a mess.

I tried welding the nuts to the manifold,I guess welding to the iron didnt stick so good so the nut still kept turning.The nut casing is also in the way and a pain to get out of the way.

I have a long pair of vise grips which wouldnt hold because its hard to get the proper angle since the nut is angled down with the manifold towards the ground.

I am off to the store to get a good set of vice grips which can hopefully give me a better angle and more grip on the nut.

If that doesnt work then I might have to get a dremel in there to try and cut the nut off as my cutting wheel is to big to fit in there to cut it off.

It sucks,I am right there ya know.....As soon as these flange bolts are out the project should excel quickly....

All would have to be done is to make these flange nut casings that hold the nuts heavier duty....

I think sometimes they make shyt half azz so the average person would be too intimidated to do something like this.

jawnee is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
tarpon4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 516
LOL!!!!!! I hate it when I get nut problems...

__________________
2014 JK Sahara

http://www.carolinatrailsoffroad.com
tarpon4me is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
OVRLNDR

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Skywgn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,802
I want to give this thread a set of ......... thumbs up.
__________________
STUPIDITY IS NOT A FORM OF KNOWLEDGE.
Skywgn1 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Burlington NC
Posts: 82
Diggity is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:15 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,660
I have loose nuts
beachrat is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:51 AM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnee View Post
What a mess chrysler or whoever makes jeep now....

I have done my share of manifold flange bolts that meet cats...

No they are never fun....

Why would any car manufacturer put cats so close to an engine????
This is an easy one... to lower emissions.

.
__________________
10A
m998dna is online now   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
RainesMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Waterford ,Michigan
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnee View Post
What a mess chrysler or whoever makes jeep now....

I have done my share of manifold flange bolts that meet cats...

No they are never fun....

Why would any car manufacturer put cats so close to an engine????

Which makes them more difficult to get to flange bolts....and cooks the engine which is probably why this jk also has cracked exahust manifolds...
(I do have my third grade edubication and even I know these things)

Such heat near an engine can lead to blocked oil passages,expanding and contracting metals which can screw up gaskets....leading to leaks...blah blah blah...

I am just pissed..

I am in an epic flange nut battle.

I will not lose.

Which the flange bolts are often cooked and rusted.

Older model cars had the nut welded to the flange...

These modern cars have the flange nuts in a casing that isnt welded,which is supposed to keep the nut from turning while you turn the flange bolts....

These flange nut casing that are supposed to keep the nut from turning arent very heavy duty...

So the nut casings break and then the nut just spins freely and now your in a mess.

I tried welding the nuts to the manifold,I guess welding to the iron didnt stick so good so the nut still kept turning.The nut casing is also in the way and a pain to get out of the way.

I have a long pair of vise grips which wouldnt hold because its hard to get the proper angle since the nut is angled down with the manifold towards the ground.

I am off to the store to get a good set of vice grips which can hopefully give me a better angle and more grip on the nut.

If that doesnt work then I might have to get a dremel in there to try and cut the nut off as my cutting wheel is to big to fit in there to cut it off.

It sucks,I am right there ya know.....As soon as these flange bolts are out the project should excel quickly....

All would have to be done is to make these flange nut casings that hold the nuts heavier duty....

I think sometimes they make shyt half azz so the average person would be too intimidated to do something like this.
YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR NUTS?? I THINK YOUR POSTING AT THE WRONG FORUM.. TRY WEB MD.COM ...
RainesMichael is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
chgofirefighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 279
This is hilarious, really got my attn though~ lol
chgofirefighter is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
2015Unlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
This is an easy one... to lower emissions.

.
correct. They fire off faster closer to the engine
__________________
------------------------
2015 Sport S Unlimited
3.73, Trac-Loc
side steps, automatic, connectivity pkg, Sunrider® Soft Top
2015Unlimited is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnee View Post
What a mess chrysler or whoever makes jeep now....

I have done my share of manifold flange bolts that meet cats...

No they are never fun....

Why would any car manufacturer put cats so close to an engine????

Which makes them more difficult to get to flange bolts....and cooks the engine which is probably why this jk also has cracked exahust manifolds...
(I do have my third grade edubication and even I know these things)

Such heat near an engine can lead to blocked oil passages,expanding and contracting metals which can screw up gaskets....leading to leaks...blah blah blah...

I am just pissed..

I am in an epic flange nut battle.

I will not lose.

Which the flange bolts are often cooked and rusted.

Older model cars had the nut welded to the flange...

These modern cars have the flange nuts in a casing that isnt welded,which is supposed to keep the nut from turning while you turn the flange bolts....

These flange nut casing that are supposed to keep the nut from turning arent very heavy duty...

So the nut casings break and then the nut just spins freely and now your in a mess.

I tried welding the nuts to the manifold,I guess welding to the iron didnt stick so good so the nut still kept turning.The nut casing is also in the way and a pain to get out of the way.

I have a long pair of vise grips which wouldnt hold because its hard to get the proper angle since the nut is angled down with the manifold towards the ground.

I am off to the store to get a good set of vice grips which can hopefully give me a better angle and more grip on the nut.

If that doesnt work then I might have to get a dremel in there to try and cut the nut off as my cutting wheel is to big to fit in there to cut it off.

It sucks,I am right there ya know.....As soon as these flange bolts are out the project should excel quickly....

All would have to be done is to make these flange nut casings that hold the nuts heavier duty....

I think sometimes they make shyt half azz so the average person would be too intimidated to do something like this.
UPDATE TO MY NUT PROBLEMS....THE DOC SAID(UH UHM CLEARING THROAT)
Well I do believe I have my nut problems under control.The flange nut facing the left front passenger side,the best I could do was finally get a pair of vice grips on it.After it was somewhat loosened I was able to move the manifold around a bit to be able to get the vice grips on it....

The nut ended up being stripped but luckily near the top of the bolt.The nut was cracked,I was able to beat the nut with a long pry bar which seperated the nut and the bolt finally fell out.

The flange nut on the passenger side rear, I attempted to cut off the nut but my 3 inch cutting wheel wasnt enough.3 inches wasnt enough for that nut!

So I had to go to the store late night and got some 4 inch cutting wheels.I do believe that will take care of the passenger side rear flange nut.

The drivers side front flange nut I can get to....I could roll around on the floor some more but I didnt see a decent line to the drivers side rear flange nut.

So My plan today is to simply cut off the remaining three nuts....

I should have torched the nuts which I do have a torch but I am outta oxygen for the torch.The square nuts the way they are,I dont know if you can even get a socket on them,(least I dont have one)with that stupid nut cage that holds the nuts.

I had thought about in desperation just cutting the exhaust but there wasnt a good place on the left side to cut that was straight anywhere near the cats and if I cut the exhaust too long I may not have been able to drag it out around things.

So thanks for listening to the tale of the nut.....

I will be heading to the store and getting stainless nuts and bolts for the flange,as well as stainless bolts for the manifold.I have to remove a broken manifold bolt in the head which hasnt been in there for sometime although no exhaust leak noise was heard when it was running.

Also have to remove a broken bolt that broke off in unbolting the water pump.Thought about stainless for them too.

Seems to me it woulda been nice from the factory with stainless bolts for the manifold,the water pump and the exhaust flange but thata been to easy!!!!!
jawnee is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
tarpon4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 516
Thanks for being a good sport.
__________________
2014 JK Sahara

http://www.carolinatrailsoffroad.com
tarpon4me is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,426
I wouldn't recommend SS nuts and bolts unless you lather on the neversieze. How about ss bolts and brass nuts?
Jedi9 is online now   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi9 View Post
I wouldn't recommend SS nuts and bolts unless you lather on the neversieze. How about ss bolts and brass nuts?
I am trying to get this thing done and will probably being going to lowes or home depot....I dont think they sell brass nuts? Never seize with be in the equation.
jawnee is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnee View Post
UPDATE TO MY NUT PROBLEMS....THE DOC SAID(UH UHM CLEARING THROAT)
Well I do believe I have my nut problems under control.The flange nut facing the left front passenger side,the best I could do was finally get a pair of vice grips on it.After it was somewhat loosened I was able to move the manifold around a bit to be able to get the vice grips on it....

The nut ended up being stripped but luckily near the top of the bolt.The nut was cracked,I was able to beat the nut with a long pry bar which seperated the nut and the bolt finally fell out.

The flange nut on the passenger side rear, I attempted to cut off the nut but my 3 inch cutting wheel wasnt enough.3 inches wasnt enough for that nut!

So I had to go to the store late night and got some 4 inch cutting wheels.I do believe that will take care of the passenger side rear flange nut.

The drivers side front flange nut I can get to....I could roll around on the floor some more but I didnt see a decent line to the drivers side rear flange nut.

So My plan today is to simply cut off the remaining three nuts....

I should have torched the nuts which I do have a torch but I am outta oxygen for the torch.The square nuts the way they are,I dont know if you can even get a socket on them,(least I dont have one)with that stupid nut cage that holds the nuts.

I had thought about in desperation just cutting the exhaust but there wasnt a good place on the left side to cut that was straight anywhere near the cats and if I cut the exhaust too long I may not have been able to drag it out around things.

So thanks for listening to the tale of the nut.....

I will be heading to the store and getting stainless nuts and bolts for the flange,as well as stainless bolts for the manifold.I have to remove a broken manifold bolt in the head which hasnt been in there for sometime although no exhaust leak noise was heard when it was running.

Also have to remove a broken bolt that broke off in unbolting the water pump.Thought about stainless for them too.

Seems to me it woulda been nice from the factory with stainless bolts for the manifold,the water pump and the exhaust flange but thata been to easy!!!!!
Last update on my nut problem.....

Within about 10 minutes I was able to just cut off the remaining three nuts with ease....

With that 3.8 tucked into the engine tunnel,you gotta stand inside the engine bay to get to things on top of the axle which doesnt make things too bad.

The main problem was that passenger side front flange nut.I couldnt even get a dremel into cut it,or a cutting wheel,the weld wouldnt take and then I thought even if I cook it with a torch the nut will still spin because the cage around the nut that keeps it from spinning was destroyed and even if it wasnt heating the cage that held the nut would comprimise it and make it weak and make it fail anyway...

As they said in the movie anchorman.......What an epic cock fight that got out of hand quickly.

Welcome to the world of jeep!

What I am reminded of,is that we are not only shade tree mechanics now because of jeeps,but we can take out knowledge of tackling nut problems and apply that to other vehicles...

I was laughing to myself yesterday thinking of all the cars and trucks on the road driving by with rusty old flange nuts...lol!! Ya just cant help everyone,pull them to the side of the road and cover the bolts of their cars with never seize...you just cant help every stray cat on the road!

Now I know why mechanics charge so much!

Although I would have a rule if I was president, that a doctor or mechanic could charge no more legally than a prostitute.....
jawnee is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnee View Post
Last update on my nut problem.....

Within about 10 minutes I was able to just cut off the remaining three nuts with ease....

With that 3.8 tucked into the engine tunnel,you gotta stand inside the engine bay to get to things on top of the axle which doesnt make things too bad.

The main problem was that passenger side front flange nut.I couldnt even get a dremel into cut it,or a cutting wheel,the weld wouldnt take and then I thought even if I cook it with a torch the nut will still spin because the cage around the nut that keeps it from spinning was destroyed and even if it wasnt heating the cage that held the nut would comprimise it and make it weak and make it fail anyway...

As they said in the movie anchorman.......What an epic cock fight that got out of hand quickly.

Welcome to the world of jeep!

What I am reminded of,is that we are not only shade tree mechanics now because of jeeps,but we can take out knowledge of tackling nut problems and apply that to other vehicles...

I was laughing to myself yesterday thinking of all the cars and trucks on the road driving by with rusty old flange nuts...lol!! Ya just cant help everyone,pull them to the side of the road and cover the bolts of their cars with never seize...you just cant help every stray cat on the road!

Now I know why mechanics charge so much!

Although I would have a rule if I was president, that a doctor or mechanic could charge no more legally than a prostitute.....
update to the update update:

Got both manifolds off,both were severly cracked.Tried to save them but they didnt weld up so good the small welder I have.....decided to trash them and get new ones....Hope the new ones hold up for a while,dont have money for better headers right now.

Also the water pump bolt which had broken off in timing cover,welded a nut twice to what was sticking out and both nuts broke off...LOL...

Atleast whats left in there is nice and flat and the bolt broke flat instead of having a ridge in it so now I will just drill it out.

So at 144,000...
A severely loose timing chain,both headers cracked,broken bolt in one head that looks like broke off years ago,broken bolt in timing cover from water pump,2 missing fuel injector clips,possible leaky fuel rail,pretty worn spark plugs need new ones,loose bolts on the lower manifold cover which manifold gasket will be replaced(upper and lower),replacing power steering resevior for power steering whine...thats pretty much it if I havent missed something,and thats IF I DONT ENCOUNTER MORE PROBLEMS WITH NUTS...LOL

I guess that aint too bad for its mileage and considering I didnt know this jeeps history...

Its all in fun,we like to turn wrenches...sometimes,and Jeeps show can keep a man busy.

Thanks for reading!!Jeep on!
jawnee is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015Unlimited View Post
correct. They fire off faster closer to the engine
I see what your saying,my yj stinks for a while before the heat gets to the cat...

Maybe they should put kevlar or carbon fiber bags over the cats themselves.I had the notorious 2.7 sebring I fixed up for a friend and they had bags over the cats...

Got the manifolds off today and they are both trash.One cylinder had almost cracked 360 degress around on the manifold....lol
jawnee is offline   Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
TurkTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 1,229
I'm glad your nuts ended up being OK!

That was an entertaining stream of consciousness to read through. I went through some rusty nut troubles when lifting my cousin's 08 JKU, so I can sort of relate, however I'm too ignorant to start taking apart engine components yet...

__________________
2014 JK Rubicon
ANVIL
2 Doors, 2 seats, 3 pedals, 37s

Build thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/tu...-459729-4.html
All views expressed are solely my own unless specifically stated otherwise.
TurkTTR is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.