Jeep Wrangler JK Aftermarket Knuckle Comparison - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Toby Vanderbeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mountain View, California
Posts: 332
Jeep Wrangler JK Aftermarket Knuckle Comparison

I'm pleased to present my Jeep Wrangler JK Aftermarket Knuckle Comparison. I compiled as much information as I could find on the Reid, Teraflex, and Rancho steering knuckles. Let me know if I made any mistakes or if you can help me fill in any missing info. Attachments are JPG and PDF.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Aftermarket Knuckle Comparison.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	3086306  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JK Aftermarket Knuckle Comparison.pdf (59.9 KB, 165 views)
__________________
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Polar Hydro Blue
Toby Vanderbeek is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
flash1034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Juan Capistrano
Posts: 622
One thing that should be mentioned is the Reid and Tera are made from ductile iron. The rancho from steel. Not sure which is better..?

Flash

flash1034 is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Toby Vanderbeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mountain View, California
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash1034 View Post
One thing that should be mentioned is the Reid and Tera are made from ductile iron. The rancho from steel. Not sure which is better..?

Flash
It's probably just wording/semantics. Steel is iron with carbon; ductile iron has graphite. Both have other ingredients to form their alloys, reduce brittleness, increase strength. For all intents and purposes, these cast parts are likely similar in material performance.
__________________
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Polar Hydro Blue
Toby Vanderbeek is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
TurkTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 1,229
Shoot, and I didn't even know Rancho made one! Thanks for the info!
__________________
2014 JK Rubicon
ANVIL
2 Doors, 2 seats, 3 pedals, 37s

Build thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/tu...-459729-4.html
All views expressed are solely my own unless specifically stated otherwise.
TurkTTR is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Toby Vanderbeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mountain View, California
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkTTR View Post
Shoot, and I didn't even know Rancho made one! Thanks for the info!
Me either. Someone mentioned it so I had to make the chart.
__________________
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Polar Hydro Blue
Toby Vanderbeek is offline   Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Swadehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 478
Looking at high steer knuckles now. Any recommendations on which is the best out of these 3? Teraflex is probably out if I need 4" of lift. I have the Mopar 2" lift which really netted me closer to 3". I can also add a 1"spacer lift if it will help.
Swadehead is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Lab Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadehead View Post
Looking at high steer knuckles now. Any recommendations on which is the best out of these 3? Teraflex is probably out if I need 4" of lift. I have the Mopar 2" lift which really netted me closer to 3". I can also add a 1"spacer lift if it will help.
I don't know if it's the "best" of the 3, but I have a 4.5" lift and have the Reid's. I've had them over a year now and I'm very happy with them. I really wanted to get my tie rod up higher after having to replace it. When I added the PSC steering I really just wanted everything up as high as possible to protect it a little more. So far, so good The fact they match, well that was just a bonus, lol.

Lisa
__________________
This is not my husbands Jeep, he has his own.

Some women buy shoes, I prefer to buy Jeep parts.

I wanted a Hemi Jeep, my husband misunderstood and bought me a Grand Cherokee SRT....that's okay too
Lab Lover is offline   Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Toby Vanderbeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mountain View, California
Posts: 332
I went with the Rancho knuckles and have been driving on them for about a year. No problems with the knuckles. I have actually had lots of other problems with steering components. I had very thick diff covers from Great Lake Offroad. The tie rod hit the diff cover at full left turn since the tie rod was now directly across the middle of the diff cover at it's thickest part. And at full right turn the tie rod hit the steering stabilizer bolt on the aftermarket track bar bracket. I should have just gotten a thinner diff cover and changed my track bar bracket to the Rancho. I ended up getting another diff cover (Ballistic Fabrication, very highly recommended) and the Rock Krawler tie rod with more clearance to the diff cover but it is also 1.75" diameter which created other problems. The wheels then hit the tie rod at full lock both directions. So I put on spacers which I didn't want to do. Then I got new beadlock wheels which had a little more offset so I didn't need the spacers. But I still haven't ground down the steering stops on the knuckles to increase the turning and I'm not sure I should. Anyway, overall, finally happy with the steering components after a year. Went on the Rubicon again this year in July and nothing touched the tie rod which is way above the axle. Trying to figure out a new steering stabilizer mount on the big tie rod. If you are thinking about going with a high steer knuckle, my recommendation is to plan the whole thing out before you buy anything. Think about the problems it might create and what you will have to do to solve them.
__________________
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Polar Hydro Blue
Toby Vanderbeek is offline   Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Lab Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Vanderbeek View Post
I went with the Rancho knuckles and have been driving on them for about a year. No problems with the knuckles. I have actually had lots of other problems with steering components. I had very thick diff covers from Great Lake Offroad. The tie rod hit the diff cover at full left turn since the tie rod was now directly across the middle of the diff cover at it's thickest part. And at full right turn the tie rod hit the steering stabilizer bolt on the aftermarket track bar bracket. I should have just gotten a thinner diff cover and changed my track bar bracket to the Rancho. I ended up getting another diff cover (Ballistic Fabrication, very highly recommended) and the Rock Krawler tie rod with more clearance to the diff cover but it is also 1.75" diameter which created other problems. The wheels then hit the tie rod at full lock both directions. So I put on spacers which I didn't want to do. Then I got new beadlock wheels which had a little more offset so I didn't need the spacers. But I still haven't ground down the steering stops on the knuckles to increase the turning and I'm not sure I should. Anyway, overall, finally happy with the steering components after a year. Went on the Rubicon again this year in July and nothing touched the tie rod which is way above the axle. Trying to figure out a new steering stabilizer mount on the big tie rod. If you are thinking about going with a high steer knuckle, my recommendation is to plan the whole thing out before you buy anything. Think about the problems it might create and what you will have to do to solve them.
Oh wow, I'm glad I didn't have any issues with anything rubbing or hitting at all or my husband would have had a fit! When I put the Reid's on I replaced the front axle with a ProRock 44, installed Black Magic BBK, RCV's and PSC hydro assist. I also put new wheels and tires since I was going to 37's, so backspacing was different than previous 35's.

The one issue I had was my tie rod had to be shortened just a tiny bit. But it was only temporary as I had a Yeti on order. That installed simply after everything else was done. I still want to swap out my track bar and drag link, fingers crossed and a few prayers no issues arise with that.

Lisa
__________________
This is not my husbands Jeep, he has his own.

Some women buy shoes, I prefer to buy Jeep parts.

I wanted a Hemi Jeep, my husband misunderstood and bought me a Grand Cherokee SRT....that's okay too
Lab Lover is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
@Toby Vanderbeek might want to update your "JK Aftermarket Knuckle Comparison.pdf " as the Rancho knuckles do not reuse the factory steering stop bolts. They need to be ground down to adjust them like the Reid ones, or you can cut off the stop and drill and tap it to reuse the stock bolts.

j_colter is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC