JK Rubicon Dana 44 where do the shims go? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JTPhoto JK
  • 1 Post By JTPhoto JK
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Parpar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 48
JK Rubicon Dana 44 where do the shims go?

Good afternoon. I am getting ready to put a new OEM locker and my 2008 JK with a Rubicon rear axle (32 spline....). All the diagrams i can find show shims between the bearings and differential (inbd). Then one thread said the diagrams are drawn wrong. And most stuff i read says the shims go between the bearing and the housing (outbd) on the Dana 44 Rubicon OEM. The diff i removed only had outer shims. So now i am super confused.

Can someone please confirm where the shims go on a OEM dana 44 rubicon w/oem electric locker....


Thank you in advance

Parpar1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thunder Bay ON Canada
Posts: 5,053
Carrier shims go outside the carrier bearings. Pinion shims are pressed between pinion head and bearing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

2018 Rhino Rubicon 35s for now.

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited (GONE) My BRUTUS BUILD
JTPhoto JK is online now   Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Parpar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK View Post
Carrier shims go outside the carrier bearings. Pinion shims are pressed between pinion head and bearing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!

Now i can get my bearings pressed on and move along !
Parpar1 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
SoDakSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Okieland
Posts: 2,223
Just to clarify, the new axle housing is a Rubicon? Only reason I ask is that I have read that you can't stuff Rubicon guts in a standard 44 axle housing. Bearing size or something like that. I don't know if that is the case or not, and I have no way to verify, but I believe somewhere i read they are different.

Anyway on my standard 44 they were on the outside against the housing. On the pinion, I had to press them on the pinion shaft, but the master install kit had shims to go behind the inner bearing race, so my guess is it could be done either way.
SoDakSooner is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Parpar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
Just to clarify, the new axle housing is a Rubicon? Only reason I ask is that I have read that you can't stuff Rubicon guts in a standard 44 axle housing. Bearing size or something like that. I don't know if that is the case or not, and I have no way to verify, but I believe somewhere i read they are different.

Anyway on my standard 44 they were on the outside against the housing. On the pinion, I had to press them on the pinion shaft, but the master install kit had shims to go behind the inner bearing race, so my guess is it could be done either way.
I have read the same thing about the Rubicon housing.
But yes i have a Next Gen Rubicon DANA 44 rear axle assembly. But now you are making me think i better slide the bearings into the housing to make sure they sent me the right ones. They already screwed up and sent me 7/16 ring gear bolts instead of 1/2. So ya now you got me thinking. i would be pissed if i pressed them on and they were wrong for my housing.
Parpar1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,136
The alignment shims go behind the carrier bearings. There is a cast shim that goes between the carrier bearing the locker on the actuator side.
nwbronco is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thunder Bay ON Canada
Posts: 5,053
The JK Rubi D44 both front and rear have Metric bearings. The standard D44 (Sport or Sahara rear) use a standard SAE bearing. In both cases and including the D30 the carrier shims are outside the bearings.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parpar1 likes this.
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

2018 Rhino Rubicon 35s for now.

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited (GONE) My BRUTUS BUILD
JTPhoto JK is online now   Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thunder Bay ON Canada
Posts: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parpar1 View Post
I have read the same thing about the Rubicon housing.
But yes i have a Next Gen Rubicon DANA 44 rear axle assembly. But now you are making me think i better slide the bearings into the housing to make sure they sent me the right ones. They already screwed up and sent me 7/16 ring gear bolts instead of 1/2. So ya now you got me thinking. i would be pissed if i pressed them on and they were wrong for my housing.


What bearing numbers did they send you? It's easy enough to find out without having to test fit. You can test fit the bearing race without having to Jam the whole carrier in there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parpar1 likes this.
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

2018 Rhino Rubicon 35s for now.

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited (GONE) My BRUTUS BUILD
JTPhoto JK is online now   Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:07 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Parpar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK View Post
What bearing numbers did they send you? It's easy enough to find out without having to test fit. You can test fit the bearing race without having to Jam the whole carrier in there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007293 ----------They seem to fit the housing correctly.
Thank you
Parpar1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thunder Bay ON Canada
Posts: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parpar1 View Post
2007293 ----------They seem to fit the housing correctly. Thank you
If the race fits nicely in the housing and you can put the bearing caps on you are good to go.
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

2018 Rhino Rubicon 35s for now.

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited (GONE) My BRUTUS BUILD
JTPhoto JK is online now   Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
ShutterBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 793
My Rubicon housing has the shims between the bearing races and the housing.
__________________

Check out my build progress
2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My Lil' Mule
ShutterBug is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:24 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
jeepfan30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBug View Post
My Rubicon housing has the shims between the bearing races and the housing.
X2, between the bearing race and the axle tube housing. Slide it all in together at the same time, put your thinner shims in-between thicker ones so they don't get squished when sliding it all in.
jeepfan30 is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 AM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
Parpar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 48
Trying to slide the differential back in while holding the shims is the hardest damn thing in the world to do. I had to make a tool to hold the differential up while trying to slide it all together. What a pain in the butt while the axle is still under the jeep.

Parpar1 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.