NEW CAI question - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-07-2015, 07:16 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
thorschanck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
NEW CAI question

I have recently been doing my research on Cold Air Intakes. I have read countless threads on multiple forums about whether or not they improve performance. At this point I understand both sides of the argument there. I also have heard many varying opinions on how well they filter air. At this point in my research I just want to know if a cold air intake is installed is there any serious damage that can be done to the engine. I understand that if the filter does not filter air well that that can damage your engine what I am asking is will a possible increase in air flow do any damage to the engine.

I have an 08 JKU Rubicon 3.8L

thorschanck is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorschanck View Post
I have recently been doing my research on Cold Air Intakes. I have read countless threads on multiple forums about whether or not they improve performance. At this point I understand both sides of the argument there. I also have heard many varying opinions on how well they filter air. At this point in my research I just want to know if a cold air intake is installed is there any serious damage that can be done to the engine. I understand that if the filter does not filter air well that that can damage your engine what I am asking is will a possible increase in air flow do any damage to the engine.

I have an 08 JKU Rubicon 3.8L
No. Only water ingestion. The increase in air flow will be negligible, if any at all, depending upon the filter that's used.

kik is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
JMT-9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 69
If you are going to install a CAI. Make sure all the sealing joints are tight and secure! Don't rush it. If you leave a small gap anywhere you might as well just throw sand into the intake and go window shopping for a new vehicle. The dust will destroy your compression over time by scuffing the cylinders. Your not going to feel much of anything as far as power. The biggest difference will be the sound it makes when your foot is buried into the gas. Which is nice. I still have to experiment with a Diablo turner, but that's another story. I had a Jet chip installed with the CAI and it did improve power, but the power band was so all over the place and worse gas mileage also makes it highly debatable! It also jump took a dump and had to remove it. So if you want more grumble under heavy driving... go for it. If you really want more power, go trade it in for a 3.6L.
__________________
The project that never ends! "I swear this is the last piece."
____________
II___II__,\____\,____
I/--\`____ /--\`OIIIIIIIO`
`(o)_) ----- (o)_) - o-o )_)
JMT-9000 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
thorschanck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
That manly rumble is the main thing i am looking for. If i get better gas milage or more power that is a plus but not the reason i would buy a CAI. As long as it won't damage the engine if installed properly (good point about the seals being good and tight) i think it may be a purchase in the near future.
thorschanck is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorschanck View Post
That manly rumble is the main thing i am looking for. If i get better gas milage or more power that is a plus but not the reason i would buy a CAI. As long as it won't damage the engine if installed properly (good point about the seals being good and tight) i think it may be a purchase in the near future.
Do you plan on using the Jeep off-road? If so, I would stay away from it. Even if it's sealed up tight, the more free flowing air also allows more dust particles. If it's a mall crawler, not so much.
__________________
2015 Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L w/Auto, 3.5" Mopar Teraflex, 17" Fuel Revolver with 35X12.50 and Ace Rock Rails.
bigjohnstud4200 is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: The Isle of Long
Posts: 2,468
There was another recent thread about CAIs and one post linked to another thread about a forum member fighting Chrysler to get his engine repaired/replaced due to damage caused by a dealer installed Mopar CAI. CAIs generally don't provide gains of any kind in our JKs, and the stock air intake system is ideally designed for our engines.
jkudave is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkudave View Post
There was another recent thread about CAIs and one post linked to another thread about a forum member fighting Chrysler to get his engine repaired/replaced due to damage caused by a dealer installed Mopar CAI. CAIs generally don't provide gains of any kind in our JKs, and the stock air intake system is ideally designed for our engines.
This. I remember that thread.
Get a snorkel if you want a cold air intake. At least it will be useful at some point. And around the same price where I'm from.
LittleGreenYJ is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
thorschanck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
I love all of the input. One thing that confuses me is that everyone is against a CAI because cold air or increased air flow does nothing for the engine. If you are saying that a snorkel increases air flow then what is the point of installing one if it does nothing for the engine? I know most people don't drive through water that is over the hood of their vehicle so my question is isnt the argument for both a snorkel and CAI the same?
thorschanck is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 5,701
The snorkel will not improve your engine performance either but it will greatly reduce the possibility of water ingest where as the CAI increases it. Some install the snorkel for pure looks just like some install the CAI for under the hood appearance and as a noise maker.
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."
B. B.
spinlock is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:01 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorschanck View Post
I love all of the input. One thing that confuses me is that everyone is against a CAI because cold air or increased air flow does nothing for the engine. If you are saying that a snorkel increases air flow then what is the point of installing one if it does nothing for the engine? I know most people don't drive through water that is over the hood of their vehicle so my question is isnt the argument for both a snorkel and CAI the same?
I wasn't saying to get a snorkel to allow for more air flow. It will just be a direct intake to the air that's outside. But still has a decent filter. And has an actual purpose other than the supposed ones of a cold air intake.
If you want a cold air intake for whatever reason, get a snorkel. Then it's multi purpose (your reason and the fact that it's a snorkel)
Make sense.
LittleGreenYJ is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
JMT-9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 69
JEEZ!!! I didn't even look at you avatar pic thorschanck. No no no... you don't want a cold air intake if your blasting through ponds! Although I do miss going blind from doing the same. Get the snorkel.
__________________
The project that never ends! "I swear this is the last piece."
____________
II___II__,\____\,____
I/--\`____ /--\`OIIIIIIIO`
`(o)_) ----- (o)_) - o-o )_)
JMT-9000 is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
thorschanck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
I understand that a snorkel will relocate your intake so you wont pull water into your engine. However as was mentioned I've driven through some pretty deep water and had no issues with the stock intake pulling water into the engine. The cai i am looking at is very similar to the stock intake in that it is enclosed and only has an opening in roughly the same location as the stock intake. If i current have no issues i feel that adding this type of intake will not cause any either.

Name:  image-454950133.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  13.9 KB
thorschanck is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fernley, NV
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorschanck View Post
I understand that a snorkel will relocate your intake so you wont pull water into your engine. However as was mentioned I've driven through some pretty deep water and had no issues with the stock intake pulling water into the engine. The cai i am looking at is very similar to the stock intake in that it is enclosed and only has an opening in roughly the same location as the stock intake. If i current have no issues i feel that adding this type of intake will not cause any either.

Attachment 2326441
YET. The kind of driving in your avatar pic is begging for a hydrolocked engine. It's all down to chance though, so maybe you'll continue to be fortunate.
Godholio is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorschanck View Post
I understand that a snorkel will relocate your intake so you wont pull water into your engine. However as was mentioned I've driven through some pretty deep water and had no issues with the stock intake pulling water into the engine. The cai i am looking at is very similar to the stock intake in that it is enclosed and only has an opening in roughly the same location as the stock intake. If i current have no issues i feel that adding this type of intake will not cause any either.

Attachment 2326441
That's the one I have for my daily driver. I don't off road.
__________________
2010 Flame Red JK Sport 6 spd/RK 1.5" Springs/Rancho 9000XL's/JKS Adjustable Rear Sway Bar Links/Rancho Control Arm Drop Brackets/Teraflex Rear Track Bar Bracket/Goodyear Duratrac's 33X12.50 -19 Offset/Level 8 Trackers 15X8/SC Flashpaq/aFe Exhaust & CAI/Or-Fab Front and Rear Bumpers/Trucklite Headlights/SEOUL LED Fogs/Synergy Grab Bars/Mopar Sill Guards/Husky Mats/AntennaX 13"/Daystar Hood Latches/E-Autogrille Grill Insert/Rugged Ridge Locking Fuel Door/Hard Top/Supertop NX
Dr. Evil is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
thorschanck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
Do you like it have you had any issues. My jeep is my daily driver and i do some off roading with it. I figure i can just keep the old intake if i want to go off road and just switch them out.
thorschanck is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorschanck View Post
Do you like it have you had any issues. My jeep is my daily driver and i do some off roading with it. I figure i can just keep the old intake if i want to go off road and just switch them out.
None so far.

__________________
2010 Flame Red JK Sport 6 spd/RK 1.5" Springs/Rancho 9000XL's/JKS Adjustable Rear Sway Bar Links/Rancho Control Arm Drop Brackets/Teraflex Rear Track Bar Bracket/Goodyear Duratrac's 33X12.50 -19 Offset/Level 8 Trackers 15X8/SC Flashpaq/aFe Exhaust & CAI/Or-Fab Front and Rear Bumpers/Trucklite Headlights/SEOUL LED Fogs/Synergy Grab Bars/Mopar Sill Guards/Husky Mats/AntennaX 13"/Daystar Hood Latches/E-Autogrille Grill Insert/Rugged Ridge Locking Fuel Door/Hard Top/Supertop NX
Dr. Evil is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.