Question for alignment guru's - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
jdinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In the woods, on a mountain, in NY
Posts: 2,520
Question for alignment/suspension guru's

Hey all,
My son got run off the road in his '16 JKUWW. Sent it to body shop for repairs, and evidently the axle housing or C's must be damaged ?
The Jeep pulls to the right, and is cupping the inside of the right side tire.
Wife took it for alignment and they said they could not fix it, but did not elaborate on what was wrong, but that some local shop could fix it with 1200 bucks worth of aftermarket stuff, wtf?
The super, "we can fix anything" shop, before asking any questions, told her it needed adjustable control arms and bla bla bla, over the phone, not even seeing the Jeep. good place to stay away from.
The JKU has an AEV 2.5" kit with GCB's. Before the accident, it handled factory stock, no pulling, no tire wear, it drove perfect.
I am attaching the print out from the alignment shop for comments.
Can this be fixed, or do we need a new housing ?
Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated .


__________________
'12 JK Gecko | AEV 2.5/wGCB's | 315 Cooper S/T MAXX | AEV Salta's | Enhanced sport rails | Trektop NX | Soft Doors | JW Speaker tail lights | M/T S1 bumper | Smitty X20-10 Comp | Factor 55 | Tactik HD spare carrier | ACE Halfback bumper | 4.10's | e-lockers | e-disconnect

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
jdinny is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:24 AM   #2
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1
Wow your front camber is way too negative. I have done lots of alignments, including my own jk. The only way to adjust camber will be with either offset ball joints or a tapered shim behind the front hub (specialty products). My jk from day one had negative .7 degrees camber both sides. While this is in jeep specs it can cause inside tire wear. Caster will not wear tires, but can effect handling. Your caster could be improved with adjustable front control arms. I went with metalcloak uppers, set caster to 4 degrees left, 4.5 degrees right. For my camber I installed the specialty products .5 degree shim. Now my front camber is negative .2 degrees both sides. For the amount of camber adjustment you need I think your only options are an offset ball joint (probably a 1.5 degree), or a new housing. Your tires will wear real bad if not fixed. Knowing your jeep drove well before I would not worry about caster. Good luck hope you can get it fixed as tires are crazy expensive.

Aweston is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:57 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
jdinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In the woods, on a mountain, in NY
Posts: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aweston View Post
Wow your front camber is way too negative. I have done lots of alignments, including my own jk. The only way to adjust camber will be with either offset ball joints or a tapered shim behind the front hub (specialty products). My jk from day one had negative .7 degrees camber both sides. While this is in jeep specs it can cause inside tire wear. Caster will not wear tires, but can effect handling. Your caster could be improved with adjustable front control arms. I went with metalcloak uppers, set caster to 4 degrees left, 4.5 degrees right. For my camber I installed the specialty products .5 degree shim. Now my front camber is negative .2 degrees both sides. For the amount of camber adjustment you need I think your only options are an offset ball joint (probably a 1.5 degree), or a new housing. Your tires will wear real bad if not fixed. Knowing your jeep drove well before I would not worry about caster. Good luck hope you can get it fixed as tires are crazy expensive.
Yes, the housing is bent, too much IMO to go with the adjustable ball joints. I could get it closer now, but I'm sure it will keep bending.
The caster was ok with the GCB's before the accident.
We are just going to look for a straight/new housing.
Thanks for your info.
__________________
'12 JK Gecko | AEV 2.5/wGCB's | 315 Cooper S/T MAXX | AEV Salta's | Enhanced sport rails | Trektop NX | Soft Doors | JW Speaker tail lights | M/T S1 bumper | Smitty X20-10 Comp | Factor 55 | Tactik HD spare carrier | ACE Halfback bumper | 4.10's | e-lockers | e-disconnect

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
jdinny is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
zimm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Davie, FL
Posts: 1,102
And your "do it all shop" is correct, you'll want adjustable lower front control arms to get that caster back to 4.2-5 degrees, not 3 which is very "twitchy".

I'd take the insurance money get a a dynatrac pro rock 44 front axle upgrade. Or find someone who already did that and buy their old axle (if it's straight).
__________________
2015 JKU Rubicon. EVO enforcer 3", King 2.5" shocks, 35" duratracs, Method wheels, PSC hydro assist, Rock hard skid/roll cage, EVO sliders, 1/4 pound bumper, corners, tire carrier. warn M8000S, Dynatrac pro-grip brakes, 4.88 gears. The rest is in my build list.

Follow my build (click me)
zimm is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,457
considering you already have the aev geo correction brackets your caster is easily adjusted just drop down to a lower hole in the bracket. Like was said camber not so easy.

Seems odd unless your son was airborne or hit something solid that the camber is that bad. What other damage was suffered on the rig?
__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
I drive Papa Smurf

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Pressurized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,291
In my opinion, that housing is toast. Don't worry about caster until a new housing is installed. Then you can use your AEV brackets to dial your caster in.
__________________
2006 LJ Rubicon - Solar Yellow - Very Stock'ish - The Press Casual LJ-R build
2012 JKU Sahara - Pro Comp LED Headlights - PRS Audio mod- SWS - GraBars - Bestop Cargo Cover
- Mopar 2" Frankenlift - Teraflex Falcon Shocks - RE TB/Brackets - JKS mount/Bilstein stabilizer -
Rugged Ridge XHD
bumper - Yukon Gears - G2 Diff Covers - Pro Comp 8186 - Milestar Patagonia 35's - Teraflex BRK
- TORQ Locker - 1310 Driveshaft - PowerTrax Grip Pro - Full Core 4x4 Control Arms and Track Bars
Pressurized is offline   Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:40 AM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
jdinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In the woods, on a mountain, in NY
Posts: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
considering you already have the aev geo correction brackets your caster is easily adjusted just drop down to a lower hole in the bracket. Like was said camber not so easy.
Seems odd unless your son was airborne or hit something solid that the camber is that bad. What other damage was suffered on the rig?
Yup, he was pretty airborne. Over one of those old fashion cable guardrails, and embankment.
Kid was really lucky, 18 wheeler fell asleep on interstate, alongside of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
And your "do it all shop" is correct, you'll want adjustable lower front control arms to get that caster back to 4.2-5 degrees, not 3 which is very "twitchy".
I'd take the insurance money get a a dynatrac pro rock 44 front axle upgrade. Or find someone who already did that and buy their old axle (if it's straight).
Given the fact that it's already got correction brackets, the "do it all" shop is not correct about adj. arms. We will buy a new housing, unless we find a new/takeout.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressurized View Post
In my opinion, that housing is toast. Don't worry about caster until a new housing is installed. Then you can use your AEV brackets to dial your caster in.
I agree, the housing is "smiling" at us.
We're gonna buy a new one, unless we find a new, almost new takeout.

Thanks for all the opinions guys
__________________
'12 JK Gecko | AEV 2.5/wGCB's | 315 Cooper S/T MAXX | AEV Salta's | Enhanced sport rails | Trektop NX | Soft Doors | JW Speaker tail lights | M/T S1 bumper | Smitty X20-10 Comp | Factor 55 | Tactik HD spare carrier | ACE Halfback bumper | 4.10's | e-lockers | e-disconnect

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
jdinny is offline   Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
I drive Papa Smurf

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Pressurized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinny View Post
Yup, he was pretty airborne. Over one of those old fashion cable guardrails, and embankment.
Kid was really lucky, 18 wheeler fell asleep on interstate, alongside of him.


Given the fact that it's already got correction brackets, the "do it all" shop is not correct about adj. arms. We will buy a new housing, unless we find a new/takeout.



I agree, the housing is "smiling" at us.
We're gonna buy a new one, unless we find a new, almost new takeout.

Thanks for all the opinions guys
Can you actually see the arc? I guess it's possible that the tubes are good and the "C's" are bent...

Good luck, I would think the insurance would be responsible for the repair?
__________________
2006 LJ Rubicon - Solar Yellow - Very Stock'ish - The Press Casual LJ-R build
2012 JKU Sahara - Pro Comp LED Headlights - PRS Audio mod- SWS - GraBars - Bestop Cargo Cover
- Mopar 2" Frankenlift - Teraflex Falcon Shocks - RE TB/Brackets - JKS mount/Bilstein stabilizer -
Rugged Ridge XHD
bumper - Yukon Gears - G2 Diff Covers - Pro Comp 8186 - Milestar Patagonia 35's - Teraflex BRK
- TORQ Locker - 1310 Driveshaft - PowerTrax Grip Pro - Full Core 4x4 Control Arms and Track Bars
Pressurized is offline   Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,457
might be a perfect time for the TF axle upgrade or the hd mopar j8 upgrade.

__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.