Reid Racing or Teraflex knuckles? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-16-2017, 11:23 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Toby Vanderbeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mountain View, California
Posts: 332
Here is the link to my knuckle comparison.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uene2qxq2i...rison.pdf?dl=0
Let me know if anything has changed. I made this a year ago.
I went with the Rancho. High steer knuckles caused me a lot of problems with parts hitting. Probably would have happened with any version. The tie rod hit the diff cover (which is really thick and overkill) on full lock , tie rod rubs the steering stabilizer at full lock, upgraded the tie rod for more clearance and then it rubbed on the inside rim of the wheel, upgraded my wheels which fixed that problem. But I never ground down the steering stops so the turning radius is reduced over stock. Replaced the drag link bracket with the Rancho one (already had a different one installed) but the tie rod still hits the steering stabilizer. Anyway, it was one problem after another. Kept changing the problem part and that made another problem. Still not happy with the setup. Haven't had time to deal with it.

__________________
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Polar Hydro Blue
Toby Vanderbeek is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Thread Starter
  #32
Jeeper
 
IA4whl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Englewood, Co
Posts: 103
I went with the Rancho knuckles and have been happy with them. The only issue that I had was having to relocate the steering stabilizer mounting. I have the MC 4.5 Game Changer lift. MC relocates the steering stabilizer mount to the track bar geo-correction bracket, those tabs had to be removed and a new mount welded on about 1.5 inches up. I do not have any tie rod interference between my MC tie rod and my PS bombshell diff cover. I don't think it would have mattered which knuckles that I went with, I would have had the same problem with the steering stabilizer. I think it is a little unrealistic to think that your not going to run into clearance and fit issues with so many modifications from different manufacturers, but just my 2 cents.
Rancho likes this.

IA4whl is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #33
Supporting Vendor
 
Rancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,725
How much lift do you have? (edit I am assuming you have 3+ since you have that in the dropbox info...)

What diff cover?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Vanderbeek View Post
Here is the link to my knuckle comparison.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uene2qxq2i...rison.pdf?dl=0
Let me know if anything has changed. I made this a year ago.
I went with the Rancho. High steer knuckles caused me a lot of problems with parts hitting. Probably would have happened with any version. The tie rod hit the diff cover (which is really thick and overkill) on full lock , tie rod rubs the steering stabilizer at full lock, upgraded the tie rod for more clearance and then it rubbed on the inside rim of the wheel, upgraded my wheels which fixed that problem. But I never ground down the steering stops so the turning radius is reduced over stock. Replaced the drag link bracket with the Rancho one (already had a different one installed) but the tie rod still hits the steering stabilizer. Anyway, it was one problem after another. Kept changing the problem part and that made another problem. Still not happy with the setup. Haven't had time to deal with it.
Rancho is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #34
Newb
 
Jcbrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripa77 View Post
Love my Rieds!! My 3.5 GC w Rieds rides so nice


Did you have any rubbing issues? I have a yeti tie rod and draglink a Fox steering stabilizer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcbrister is offline   Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #35
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
ATX14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrister View Post
Did you have any rubbing issues? I have a yeti tie rod and draglink a Fox steering stabilizer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had rubbing issues with my Reids. I have a 3.5" lift with Synergy flipped drag link bracket. I had my Fox ATS SS mounted on the drag link bracket and my Yeti tie rod hit the center mounting bolt because it is raised. I had to cut off the bolt so it wouldn't make contact with the Yeti tie rod and mount the SS on a different location on that bracket. The SS mount on the tie rod was hitting my PS diff covers so I canted the SS mount enough to prevent it from making contact.
__________________
08 JKUR-Bright Silver Metallic/Rock Krawler 3.5" X Factor Mid Arm Lift/Poison Spyder Rock Brawler Mid front & rear bumper/Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers/ Warn Zeon 10-S winch/American Racing ATX Series wheels- 37/12.5/17r BF Goodrich KO2/Adams 1310 drive shafts/Yeti tie rod/Synergy flipped drag link & ball joints/Fox ATS 2.0 steering stabilizer/Fox 2.0 dual reservoir CD adjustable shocks/G2 chrome molly front axles/Ten Factory rear axles/Reid Racing Knuckles
ATX14 is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #36
Jeeper
 
Toby Vanderbeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mountain View, California
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho View Post
How much lift do you have? (edit I am assuming you have 3+ since you have that in the dropbox info...)

What diff cover?
I have the Rubicon Express 3.5" superflex arms, etc. Switching springs to triple rate soon. The ride quality sucks. The diff covers are Ballistic Fabrication. Excellent workmanship. I'm confident those won't be the weakest link.
__________________
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Polar Hydro Blue
Toby Vanderbeek is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #37
Jeeper
 
Toby Vanderbeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mountain View, California
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA4whl View Post
I think it is a little unrealistic to think that your not going to run into clearance and fit issues with so many modifications from different manufacturers, but just my 2 cents.
Totally true. After all the trouble I've had, I wouldn't recommend anyone to get high steer knuckles unless they are in a position to spend more money and time to solve problems that will arise. I guess that's true for all Jeep parts but I feel this one was especially difficult.
__________________
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Polar Hydro Blue
Toby Vanderbeek is offline   Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
I currently have a D44 Rubicon front axle in my 2007 jk with synergy track bar, tie rod and drag link and ARB Diff cover. Looking to replace the stock knuckles. Wondering if one set is more compatible with what I have then another. Specifically I am looking at the Rancho or Teraflex Knuckles. The only diff from the dropbox comparison above is that the Rancho raises the tie rod 1.5" where the Teraflex raises it 1.125".

Anyone have a similar setup, comments on whether one set would be more likely to cause interference? Impact of having the tie rod higher vs lower?
@Rancho any thoughts?
j_colter is offline   Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
One thing I forgot to mention was that the dropbox page shows the Teraflex are compatible with 4-6" lift and the Rancho's state 3+. Not sure if that means there are other dimensions different then the tie rod height.... I am running ~5" lift right now.
j_colter is offline   Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
fiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_colter View Post
I currently have a D44 Rubicon front axle in my 2007 jk with synergy track bar, tie rod and drag link and ARB Diff cover. Looking to replace the stock knuckles. Wondering if one set is more compatible with what I have then another. Specifically I am looking at the Rancho or Teraflex Knuckles. The only diff from the dropbox comparison above is that the Rancho raises the tie rod 1.5" where the Teraflex raises it 1.125".

Anyone have a similar setup, comments on whether one set would be more likely to cause interference? Impact of having the tie rod higher vs lower?
@Rancho any thoughts?
The main issue with the raised tie rod knuckles is that the tie rod is raised to the level where the diff cover protrudes the furthest. Depending on your set up, that can be a problem at full driver side lock, because the tie rod may hit the diff cover before the steering stops hit. Factors that play in include the diameter of your tie rod, amount of tie rod forward offset, how far forward your diff cover protrudes, and how much turning angle you want.

I recently installed some Rancho knuckles and had to deal with a number of complications. I have an oversized Currie tie rod (1 5/8” diameter), a Dynatrac PR44 (with diff cover that protrudes a ways beyond stock), and a PSC ram clamp that is 3/16” thick and that was located on the tie rod right where it contacts the diff cover at full left turn lock. In order to retain acceptable turning radius, I had to grind a fair amount off the diff cover. Thankfully it was pretty much just the cast in part where the Dynatrac sticker is placed, and isn’t structural. I also relocated the PSC ram a few inches toward the drivers side so that it doesn’t get pinched between the tie rod and the diff cover any more. With these mods, at full drivers side lock, my tie rod contacts the diff cover at the same time that the steering stops contact. That’s the best I could do. Happily, I ended up with slightly better (tighter) turning radius than I had before. But it was work to get there. Not just a bolt and go affair.

Bottom line is that adding the Rancho, Reid, or similar raised tie rod knuckles may entail a host of complications and required modifications to make them work, particularly if you already have other mods like I do. If you’re still running the stock tie rod and stock steel diff cover, the knuckles likely would require many fewer mods to make them work.
fiend is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:20 AM   #41
Jeeper
 
badAZbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 700
I have rancho knuckles, 1.5"alum tie rod with offset ends, ruffstuff diff covers and RK 3.5" X-factor. It's a tight fit under there, but works great. No interference that I know of. Finding the happy place for the Falcon 2.2 stabilizer was a little interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180803_180255.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	4130747  
Rancho likes this.
badAZbiker is offline   Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:20 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
Thanks for the info everyone!

j_colter is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC