Rim Width - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 107
Rim Width

I'm debating getting 35x12.5 tires and was wondering if the rim width made a difference at all. I see most people suggest an 8", however most web pages carry 9". I believe the tire would fit either, but would the 8" rim just give a fatter tire look as the tire would need to be pulled in a bit where it meets up with the rim (I'm probably not explaining that very well)?

Wood Butcher is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
14Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 851
If you look at the specs on the tire you want it will tell you the recommended rim width. My 35x12.5x17s recommend a minimum of 8.5" so I went with nine inch rims since none of the rims I was looking at come in 8.5.

That said, many guys run 12.5s on 8" or even 7.5 inch as it provides more protection for the rim when wheeling.

14Sport is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9 N, 121.7 W
Posts: 5,701
The 9" rims will work fine with most 12.5" tires. Look at the manufacturer rim width range for the tires your selected and try to stay on the narrow end of the range if you are driving off road for rim protection and to reduce the chance of breaking the bead seal when you air down.
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."
B. B.
spinlock is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
ledzep_06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: S Charleston WV
Posts: 249
Quote:
stay on the narrow end of the range if you are driving off road for rim protection and to reduce the chance of breaking the bead seal when you air down.
agreed. generally a 12.5" wide tire on a 8" wide rim is known as a "poor mans beadlock." it works quite well at keeping the beads seated at low tire pressure due to the tire width forcing the beads outward onto the rim
ledzep_06 is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
TurkTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 1,229
The issue with putting that wide a tire on that narrow a wheel is that you will get excess sidewall heat and wear, plus if you go too narrow on the wheel, it can force itself off the bead. The tire may be forcing the tire into the rim, but not at the correct angle to properly hold pressure and not slip out. Never heard of this "poor man's beadlock" but it sounds like a terrible idea to me...
__________________
2014 JK Rubicon
ANVIL
2 Doors, 2 seats, 3 pedals, 37s

Build thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/tu...-459729-4.html
All views expressed are solely my own unless specifically stated otherwise.
TurkTTR is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
RETIRED MODERATER

WF Lifetime Member
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hot as Hell Arizona, the home of the mighty Dragon. Beware of your surrounding, because of DANGER!
Posts: 34,412
They will even fit on a stock 7.5 wide rim. But to get your best overall tire ride, performance, and the best even wear pattern, while keeping the tire cool for longevity, then you should fit the tire size to the current wheel width correctly! To narrow of a wheel, will squeeze in the tire mounting flange area, and theoretically add some curvature to the tread area. To wide of a Rim, will do just the opposite.
So for a 35, go with either, a 8.5, or a 9" wide rim. This way you will receive the maximum benefit, from your tires.........
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Dragon is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....
Old Dogger is online now   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
14Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
They will even fit on a stock 7.5 wide rim. But to get your best overall tire ride, performance, and the best even wear pattern, while keeping the tire cool for longevity, then you should fit the tire size to the current wheel width correctly! To narrow of a wheel, will squeeze in the tire mounting flange area, and theoretically add some curvature to the tread area. To wide of a Rim, will do just the opposite.
So for a 35, go with either, a 8.5, or a 9" wide rim. This way you will receive the maximum benefit, from your tires.........
Well I have to say I am happy that my advice matched Old Dogger's...as I trust and respect his opinion completely.
14Sport is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
RETIRED MODERATER

WF Lifetime Member
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hot as Hell Arizona, the home of the mighty Dragon. Beware of your surrounding, because of DANGER!
Posts: 34,412
^^^Thank you for the kind words Sir, but I'm a old Coot, and maybe senile..
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Dragon is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....
Old Dogger is online now   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
14Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
^^^Thank you for the kind words Sir, but I'm a old Coot, and maybe senile..
Maybe?! It is those who have been here for a long time that possess the wisdom of the ages.
14Sport is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
ledzep_06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: S Charleston WV
Posts: 249
Quote:
The issue with putting that wide a tire on that narrow a wheel is that you will get excess sidewall heat and wear,*
please explain howbthe sidewalls will wear? If your referring to the outer edge of the tread wearing and not the center, you compensate by running a lower pressure

Quote:
if you go too narrow on the wheel, it can force itself off the bead. The tire may be forcing the tire into the rim, but not at the correct angle to properly hold pressure and not slip out.*
When running a narrower rim your "squeezing" the beads putting more pressure on the seating area resulting in a tighter fit. If you run an overly wide rim the you strech out the sidewall of the tire making it much more likely to break a bead

Quote:
Never heard of this "poor man's beadlock" but it sounds like a terrible idea to me.
Running 8" wide rims on 12.50" wide tires has been around for a long time and is pretty common place in the offroad world.
ledzep_06 is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
dwtgolden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 686
Putting a relatively wide tire on a relatively narrow wheel causes a loss of stability in the tire during cornering. The reduced support offered by the narrower wheel causes additional sidewall flex and roll during turns, especially at higher speeds. As the sidewall of the tire rolls, it's actually the inner bead that is likely break as the sidewall is pushed horizontal and the bead needs to remain vertical to maintain a seal. Probably not a huge deal during normal driving due to the relatively low cornering ability of a Jeep, but could be an issue during an emergency swerve to avoid or brake and swerve maneuver, and that's the worst time to experience a tire failure.

Adjusting air pressure to compensate for wheel / tire mismatch to maintain full tread contact can be dangerous business. Typically, you would need to run lower air pressure as the narrow wheels would pull the edges of the tread down, bulging the center of the tread. Lower air pressure will increase the tire sidewall flex during straight line driving and increase sidewall roll during cornering. Both reduce tire stability and increase heat production which decrease tire life and increase the possibility of tire failure.

Bottom line for the best ride, handling, wear, and safety, get a wheel that is within the designed rim width specs for whatever tire size you are going to run.
dwtgolden is online now   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtgolden View Post
Putting a relatively wide tire on a relatively narrow wheel causes a loss of stability in the tire during cornering. The reduced support offered by the narrower wheel causes additional sidewall flex and roll during turns, especially at higher speeds. As the sidewall of the tire rolls, it's actually the inner bead that is likely break as the sidewall is pushed horizontal and the bead needs to remain vertical to maintain a seal. Probably not a huge deal during normal driving due to the relatively low cornering ability of a Jeep, but could be an issue during an emergency swerve to avoid or brake and swerve maneuver, and that's the worst time to experience a tire failure. Adjusting air pressure to compensate for wheel / tire mismatch to maintain full tread contact can be dangerous business. Typically, you would need to run lower air pressure as the narrow wheels would pull the edges of the tread down, bulging the center of the tread. Lower air pressure will increase the tire sidewall flex during straight line driving and increase sidewall roll during cornering. Both reduce tire stability and increase heat production which decrease tire life and increase the possibility of tire failure. Bottom line for the best ride, handling, wear, and safety, get a wheel that is within the designed rim width specs for whatever tire size you are going to run.
Where did you find all this?
iwaxmyjimmy is offline   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
dwtgolden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy View Post
Where did you find all this?
Lots of internet reading from trusted sources, a background in engineering, and experience as an emergency vehicle operations instructor.
dwtgolden is online now   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtgolden View Post
Lots of internet reading from trusted sources, a background in engineering, and experience as an emergency vehicle operations instructor.
That's cool. Looked like an internet thing. What kind of engineer? Background as in a degree? And yeah I figured you were an engineer or something of that nature.
iwaxmyjimmy is offline   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
dwtgolden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy View Post
That's cool. Looked like an internet thing. What kind of engineer? Background as in a degree? And yeah I figured you were an engineer or something of that nature.
Mech eng tech degree. Worked for a towing and recovery equipment manufacturer for over 9 years before switching careers.
dwtgolden is online now   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
TurkTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtgolden View Post
Putting a relatively wide tire on a relatively narrow wheel causes a loss of stability in the tire during cornering. The reduced support offered by the narrower wheel causes additional sidewall flex and roll during turns, especially at higher speeds. As the sidewall of the tire rolls, it's actually the inner bead that is likely break as the sidewall is pushed horizontal and the bead needs to remain vertical to maintain a seal. Probably not a huge deal during normal driving due to the relatively low cornering ability of a Jeep, but could be an issue during an emergency swerve to avoid or brake and swerve maneuver, and that's the worst time to experience a tire failure.

Adjusting air pressure to compensate for wheel / tire mismatch to maintain full tread contact can be dangerous business. Typically, you would need to run lower air pressure as the narrow wheels would pull the edges of the tread down, bulging the center of the tread. Lower air pressure will increase the tire sidewall flex during straight line driving and increase sidewall roll during cornering. Both reduce tire stability and increase heat production which decrease tire life and increase the possibility of tire failure.

Bottom line for the best ride, handling, wear, and safety, get a wheel that is within the designed rim width specs for whatever tire size you are going to run.
Very well said, sir.
__________________
2014 JK Rubicon
ANVIL
2 Doors, 2 seats, 3 pedals, 37s

Build thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/tu...-459729-4.html
All views expressed are solely my own unless specifically stated otherwise.
TurkTTR is offline   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Cajun-in-tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Prosper, TX
Posts: 317
I went with a 9" wide rim and 4.5" backspacing for my 35x12.50 tires. I wanted the wider stance (tire sticks out further) and more tire on the ground without excessively lowering air pressure.
__________________
2012 JKU Bright Silver Metallic

There are some who call me ... Cajun

Cajun's build thread
Cajun-in-tx is offline   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 59
Guys, I just bought the Pro Comp 1069 wheels 17x9 with 4.75 back spacing. All I have is a leveling kit on my 2010 Rubicon. Will these fit??
2010 Blue Rubicon is offline   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
dwtgolden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Blue Rubicon View Post
Guys, I just bought the Pro Comp 1069 wheels 17x9 with 4.75 back spacing. All I have is a leveling kit on my 2010 Rubicon. Will these fit??
Depends on the tire size you plan on mounting.

dwtgolden is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.