Rock krawler new pro flex joints - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Rock krawler new pro flex joints

For anybody that hasn't seen these bad boys ... I think RK hit a home run. The new bushing replaces the previous flex joints (lower arms at the frame)

Think of a standard spherical joint -same ball , but enclosed completely with soft 70a durometer rubber. The only difference to a true spherical bushing, the ball pivots inside a hard urethane casing. The rubber halves are soft and should absorb NVH better then the factory clevite.
A "hybrid" joint as RK put it.

Rebuild is the same. Remove bushing halves, replace ball, grease and done.

Nice complement to the RK Pro joint
Can't wait to get these in ... Stay tuned.


https://www.youtube.com/embed/ukGa_G...feature=oembed


K

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-260239754.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	2033681  
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
mastrcruse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,328
Only negative thing I see is that if you have purchased control arms in the last year(or before) you have to buy all new

__________________
Nothing special, just the norm...https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ma...rt-633290.html
mastrcruse is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
QUEEN OF MALLCRAWLERS

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 8,150
Nice! Will be watching closely.
__________________
2014 JKR Granite Crystal, 5.13 Auto: RK X Factor 2.5 Inch Lift, Artec Front and Rear Truss, Artec Rear LCA Mounts/Skids, Poison Spyder HD Crossmember, Rock Hard Gas/TC/Evap/Oil Skids, Rough Country Diff Sliders, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5x17, Pro Comp 97 Series Wheels, Synergy Weld On Rear Trackbar Bracket, PSC Hydroassist, T6 Aluminum Tie Rod, G2 Gold Chromoly Axle Shaft/RCV front axle shaft, Dynatrac Ball Joints, 1310 driveshafts, Artec Rear Upper CA Mounts, Warn VR8000.
mommymallcrawler is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrcruse View Post
Only negative thing I see is that if you have purchased control arms in the last year(or before) you have to buy all new
The pro flex joint is only on the front and rear lower arms x4
I believe the bushings can be swapped. I will check with RK tommorow.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymallcrawler View Post
Nice! Will be watching closely.
Let's see if I can set these things up right lol
The arm lengths are whacky. I see now why all
The issues.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
marslim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post

The pro flex joint is only on the front and rear lower arms x4
I believe the bushings can be swapped. I will check with RK tommorow.
I read on their Facebook page the other day that the new bushings will not work in previous arms. Only in the current ones
__________________
2012 jk 6sp, 35" Hankook MT's, 2.5" Rock Krawler max travel, Rancho 9000's, bushwacker flatties, F&R Rubi Dana 44's w RCV's, chromoly shafts, 5.13 gears, AEV snorkel, Spod, Ace sliders & rear bumper, skid plates, Fab fours diff covers, RR front bumper, Q9000s winch ***SOLD

1997 TJ LQ4/4l80, F&R 14 bolt on WOD tube chassis 112" WB, build in progress
marslim is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 951/714/562
Posts: 10,466
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
I'm so glad N4x4 went out of stock of RK kit late February (when I ordered). If they had the kit in stock, I would probably have received their previous joints.
__________________
Eat, Sleep, Jeep my build thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/dw...d-1343409.html
dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU View Post
I'm so glad N4x4 went out of stock of RK kit late February (when I ordered). If they had the kit in stock, I would probably have received their previous joints.
Made me look... I ordered in late February, in fact I think I got the last set with the "free" rear trackbar... the peripherals all came from Northridge directly, the rest of the kit from RK... new pro joints included.
JKGoob is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 951/714/562
Posts: 10,466
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
Nice. I ordered my kit a day after they offered the free rear trackbar.
__________________
Eat, Sleep, Jeep my build thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/dw...d-1343409.html
dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:21 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 661
After silently surfing the forums and stalking kjeeper for about six months, I finally decided to take the jump and order the 2.5" 4 door... now I guess it's technically considered the 3.5" given that I have a 2 door, thankfully I realized that RK went model specific just before I ordered (otherwise I would have ended up with the 2.5" 2 door). After all that research it would have been dissapointing to come up with an inch less than expected...
JKGoob is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by marslim View Post
I read on their Facebook page the other day that the new bushings will not work in previous arms. Only in the current ones
Bummer .. Ty
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGoob View Post
After silently surfing the forums and stalking kjeeper for about six months, I finally decided to take the jump and order the 2.5" 4 door... now I guess it's technically considered the 3.5" given that I have a 2 door, thankfully I realized that RK went model specific just before I ordered (otherwise I would have ended up with the 2.5" 2 door). After all that research it would have been dissapointing to come up with an inch less than expected...
Is that like ninja stalking ? Lol

Yep my coils magically changed from 2.5 to 3.5
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:38 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Steve2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGoob View Post
After silently surfing the forums and stalking kjeeper for about six months, I finally decided to take the jump and order the 2.5" 4 door... now I guess it's technically considered the 3.5" given that I have a 2 door, thankfully I realized that RK went model specific just before I ordered (otherwise I would have ended up with the 2.5" 2 door). After all that research it would have been dissapointing to come up with an inch less than expected...
That's what she said...
Steve2012 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:02 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
JCDriller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,029
I've had these joints for a little over a month. They ride really, really nice. I haven't gotten them off road yet, but I suspect they will perform very well. I'm glad they finally released info on them as I've been having a hard time holding my tongue.
__________________
BRUZER 2014 Hydro Blue JKU >>BUILD THREAD HERE<< 3.5" Rock Krawler X-Factor lift, Rancho 9000XLs, Nitto 35" TG, built front Rubi D44, REIDs, RCVs, 4.88s, Full Rock Hard/PSC evap skid, LOD gen 4 rear bumper w/ carrier and Rigids, FMF Apex Pinnacle front bumper w/ WARN 10s. Custom cargo drawer, tailgate table & pressurized water, Uniden Bearcat 980SS CB, 3' Firestick, 7" CCTV rear view monitor, 10" Sundown SD-3 under driver's seat, RF PBR500x1 amp, JW Speakers. Plus one amazing GSD!
JCDriller is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:22 AM
Thread Starter
  #15
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDriller View Post
I've had these joints for a little over a month. They ride really, really nice. I haven't gotten them off road yet, but I suspect they will perform very well. I'm glad they finally released info on them as I've been having a hard time holding my tongue.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
HunterTheBeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,042
These look like a great design and ill be curious to see what the longevity of them is. Kinda a little disappointing I was about a month early on my front lowers, oh well they do what i need them to.
__________________
2012 Crush JK Rubicon. Teraflex 2.5" coil w/fox shocks and ATS, 1/2" front and 1" rear TF spacers. TF monster front and rear track bar, RK F/R lower arms, Ruff Stuff front upper. 315 75r16 duratracs. LOD armor lite mid w/Warn VR 8000. Lots of other goodies.
HunterTheBeagle is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,423
So how short can the new LCAs go? Can I adjust to 1/4" longer than stock?

Jedi9 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 AM
Thread Starter
  #18
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi9 View Post
So how short can the new LCAs go? Can I adjust to 1/4" longer than stock?
Front or rear ?
Front no
Max travel rear lowers yes
X factor rear lowers no
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,423
front lowers for my 4 door with the 1.5 RK
Jedi9 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Thread Starter
  #20
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi9 View Post
front lowers for my 4 door with the 1.5 RK
I wrote it down at home .. I believe the front lowers go down to 23-23 1/8
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,423
Somewheres I got the measurement fot the TF sport fixed lowers like Jadmt put on. That's the length I'm thinking I will need, even though my steering feels pretty goot.
Jedi9 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Thread Starter
  #22
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi9 View Post
Somewheres I got the measurement fot the TF sport fixed lowers like Jadmt put on. That's the length I'm thinking I will need, even though my steering feels pretty goot.
+ 3/8

Synergy = + 1/4
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
tx2whlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by marslim View Post
I read on their Facebook page the other day that the new bushings will not work in previous arms. Only in the current ones
That's a bummer.... The flex bushings in my not even year old x-factor are no better than the stock flex bushings..... Backward comparability would have been nice
__________________
Ordered 3/22 Billet JKUR, Auto, Connectivity, 4.10 gears, Painted top and Painted fenders.
RK X-Factor 2.5, Bilstein 5100's, Fox ATS dampener,
Spydertrax wheel spacers, Rockhard engine & transfer case skids, F&R lower control arm skids.
tx2whlr is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Riccochet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Somewhere around Charlotte
Posts: 1,134
Yeah, this blows. I still have a brand new set of the older RK control arms that haven't been installed. Would have been nice if they made these for those.

Maybe I'll just sell them and buy the new ones.
__________________
ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Riccochet is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:10 PM
Thread Starter
  #25
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
Yeah, this blows. I still have a brand new set of the older RK control arms that haven't been installed. Would have been nice if they made these for those. Maybe I'll just sell them and buy the new ones.
Call them .. RK has always been good to returning customers.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:32 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2012 View Post
That's what she said...
On our wedding night no less... lmao
JKGoob is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:58 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
CharlesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Carmel Mtn, CA
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTheBeagle View Post
These look like a great design and ill be curious to see what the longevity of them is.
Several years ago there was a suspension manufacturer that was designing a hybrid control arm bushing material that was used on the XJs, TJs and ZJs. On the highway the bushings worked fine, but when you starting flexing the vehicle out on the trail; the bushings would compress and split after several times on the trail. There were several attempts to change the formula of the material, but they never did get it right. Finally they went back to the denser material and there were no more problems.
Hopefully RK has better luck with their bushings.....
__________________
'01 TJ, '14 WK
'98 XJ and '11 JK (SOLD)
CharlesS is online now   Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 AM
Thread Starter
  #28
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Several years ago there was a suspension manufacturer that was designing a hybrid control arm bushing material that was used on the XJs, TJs and ZJs. On the highway the bushings worked fine, but when you starting flexing the vehicle out on the trail; the bushings would compress and split after several times on the trail. There were several attempts to change the formula of the material, but they never did get it right. Finally they went back to the denser material and there were no more problems. Hopefully RK has better luck with their bushings.....
Do you knew who ?
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #29
Jeeper

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
danrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,293
The question for those of us that have the old lower control arms is do we need them? You can only misalign your axle so far before other components start to bind. With my old 3.5 x-factor, my axles will flex until the shocks stop the axles.

So not sure what the advantage would be to replace my current RK LCAs with these.
__________________
2013 JKUR-Fiat. Rock Krawler 3.5 X-Factor, RK Draglink flip, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17, ACE Rock Sliders, Poison Spyder Brawler MID Front Bumper with Brawler Bar, ENGO E10000S Electric Winch, ACE Engineering JK Pro Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, JW Speaker 8700, Dually Fog lights and sPOD
danrb is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:10 AM
Thread Starter
  #30
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrb View Post
The question for those of us that have the old lower control arms is do we need them? You can only misalign your axle so far before other components start to bind. With my old 3.5 x-factor, my axles will flex until the shocks stop the axles. So not sure what the advantage would be to replace my current RK LCAs with these.
I would think the new bushings absorb harshness better.
I agree though. I see no reason in trying to upgrade.

kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.