Soft top - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Mihalchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 173
Soft top

I purchased my jeep about 3 weeks ago. It's a 2011 2 door wrangler with 17k miles. It's been through a few little drizzles with me as the owner, but today it's raining quite hard. I just decided to check the soft top to see if there were any leaks, and on the inside by the back, the top itself by the stitching is noticeably wet on the inside, and a few little drip marks in the trunk. It's wet by the seals on the two flaps that fold in when you put the top down. What should I do?

Mihalchick is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihalchick View Post
I purchased my jeep about 3 weeks ago. It's a 2011 2 door wrangler with 17k miles. It's been through a few little drizzles with me as the owner, but today it's raining quite hard. I just decided to check the soft top to see if there were any leaks, and on the inside by the back, the top itself by the stitching is noticeably wet on the inside, and a few little drip marks in the trunk. It's wet by the seals on the two flaps that fold in when you put the top down. What should I do?
about all you can do is make sure the bar is centered and keep the seals clean . A few drops during a storm really isnt that bad .

__________________
On the mighty Rasin in my 11 jk 2 dr with 315/75/16`s 4.88`s and Eaton elocker 3.8 6 speed
79,cj-7 304 4 speed
85,cj-7 258 5 speed
02 tj 4.0 auto
weldporn is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Mihalchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 173
The seams from the top of the soft top all the way down are soaked inside. Is there any kind of coating of something I can put on it?
Mihalchick is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Newb
 
StaceyNDvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 12
I have a 2011 soft top too. We recently had some heavy sideways winds that causes my passenger side seat to get wet. I'm thinking that a soft top is just that, soft. I definitely want to get a hard top as well but I've started parking my Jeep under cover when I know the weather is going to be "iffy". Not really Jeep standards but I hate that wet dog smell the interior gets after a good soaking...
StaceyNDvo is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Maxx143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,181
Do you know if it's an aftermarket soft top or OEM? There are a bunch of different quality/thickness levels on the aftermarkets and the lower end ones could be an issue.

I've never had a factory soft top leak through the seams. The windshield header at the doors is the usual suspect because of how the rain channel was designed.
__________________
Not just an X, a xXx, she's gonna get dirty!
'14 JKRX - Granite, 6-speed manual, soft-top, 430N, side air bags, Auto A/C. Mods: JWS8700Evo, Maximus-3 Stinger, Granite painted interior trim, 13" Antenna X, Rampage Locking Hood Latches, MC Grille Guard, Gibson Exhaust.
Maxx143 is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Mihalchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx143 View Post
Do you know if it's an aftermarket soft top or OEM? There are a bunch of different quality/thickness levels on the aftermarkets and the lower end ones could be an issue. I've never had a factory soft top leak through the seams. The windshield header at the doors is the usual suspect because of how the rain channel was designed.
I would believe it's OEM. Is there any way to tell the make or model of it? Any markings on the soft top anywhere?
Mihalchick is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Maxx143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihalchick View Post
I would believe it's OEM. Is there any way to tell the make or model of it? Any markings on the soft top anywhere?
Not really on the OEM. 2011 factory soft top would have been a Best Top Sunrider. It would most likely have been sailcloth, which would be vinyl outside and inside would be different, like looking at the top vs bottom/underside of a tarp.
Some of the cheaper aftermarket tops are just vinyl and the inside and outside look almost the same.

The factory soft top wouldn't have any tags, but the aftermarket ones tend to have a brand tag on the rear corner panels, small tag like a tshirt tag sewn into a seam (size and location varies depending on the manufacturer).

If it is OEM, after 3 years you shouldn't be seeing any seam failures, so if you're still under factory warranty, a dealer should be able to take a look at it and replace it if it's a bad/faulty part.

If not, your best bet is probably going to be buying a new skin; you don't need an entire top as your frame should be perfectly fine. Best Top Sailcloth is the OEM and you can get them from Quadratec.
__________________
Not just an X, a xXx, she's gonna get dirty!
'14 JKRX - Granite, 6-speed manual, soft-top, 430N, side air bags, Auto A/C. Mods: JWS8700Evo, Maximus-3 Stinger, Granite painted interior trim, 13" Antenna X, Rampage Locking Hood Latches, MC Grille Guard, Gibson Exhaust.
Maxx143 is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Mihalchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx143 View Post
Not really on the OEM. 2011 factory soft top would have been a Best Top Sunrider. It would most likely have been sailcloth, which would be vinyl outside and inside would be different, like looking at the top vs bottom/underside of a tarp. Some of the cheaper aftermarket tops are just vinyl and the inside and outside look almost the same. The factory soft top wouldn't have any tags, but the aftermarket ones tend to have a brand tag on the rear corner panels, small tag like a tshirt tag sewn into a seam (size and location varies depending on the manufacturer). If it is OEM, after 3 years you shouldn't be seeing any seam failures, so if you're still under factory warranty, a dealer should be able to take a look at it and replace it if it's a bad/faulty part. If not, your best bet is probably going to be buying a new skin; you don't need an entire top as your frame should be perfectly fine. Best Top Sailcloth is the OEM and you can get them from Quadratec.
Well the jeep is still under warranty with the dealership, so do you know if that would be covered? And there are no tags or anything, that's why I asked if I was missing something.
Mihalchick is offline   Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Maxx143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihalchick View Post
Well the jeep is still under warranty with the dealership, so do you know if that would be covered? And there are no tags or anything, that's why I asked if I was missing something.
There's no way to know for sure but defects like a bad seam "should" be covered. They won't cover it if it's something that was done to the top, but who knows how they can tell that.
__________________
Not just an X, a xXx, she's gonna get dirty!
'14 JKRX - Granite, 6-speed manual, soft-top, 430N, side air bags, Auto A/C. Mods: JWS8700Evo, Maximus-3 Stinger, Granite painted interior trim, 13" Antenna X, Rampage Locking Hood Latches, MC Grille Guard, Gibson Exhaust.
Maxx143 is offline   Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Mihalchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx143 View Post
There's no way to know for sure but defects like a bad seam "should" be covered. They won't cover it if it's something that was done to the top, but who knows how they can tell that.
Yeah then I'll have to give them a call. I've done nothing to the seam.

Mihalchick is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.