TPMS Trouble - Help Needed! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 58
Talking TPMS Trouble - Help Needed!

Hi guys,

I just got new 35 tires and wheels, so I swapped over the OEM tpms from my stock wheels to the new setup. 2 days in, no light but on the third day as I'm driving the light comes on. The sticker on my door calls for 43 psi all around, so I filled it up to 45 psi (just to be sure I'm not under 43) and the light still is on. The computer in the Jeep recognizes that it has 44-45 all around but it just won't turn off and it's been about 1.5-2 days already after I aired it to 44-45.

I have the AEV procal module, but I don't want to completely disable the warnings or the tpms.

Should I keep driving a little longer and see if it'll finally turn off?

ADV.1JK is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1JK View Post
Hi guys,

I just got new 35 tires and wheels, so I swapped over the OEM tpms from my stock wheels to the new setup. 2 days in, no light but on the third day as I'm driving the light comes on. The sticker on my door calls for 43 psi all around, so I filled it up to 45 psi (just to be sure I'm not under 43) and the light still is on. The computer in the Jeep recognizes that it has 44-45 all around but it just won't turn off and it's been about 1.5-2 days already after I aired it to 44-45.

I have the AEV procal module, but I don't want to completely disable the warnings or the tpms.

Should I keep driving a little longer and see if it'll finally turn off?
I have AEV rims (Pintlers) and every since I got the new rims I get the same thing from time to time. I have a 2014 rubicon and am using the stock sensors. the warning will come on and the tire symbol will light up and for 3 or 4 days and then will go back to normal and tell me system is OK a week later "bing" it will say check TPM system. Dealer of course blames it on the aev rims. I would give it a few more days. I should add that mine recognizes all 4 tires as well. What jeep do you have that shows 43psi? must be a little rough. I have mine down at 30psi.

jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
tomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 625
I would....it needs about 20-25 miles before the lights cut off...have you gone that far with it? If you have, then I'd say one of them probably died in the swap ( I've heard of that happening). Just need to find out which and swap it out.
__________________
Current Jeeps:
1998 Jeep XJ- SOLD!
2014 Granite JKU Rubicon X 730n/ Dual Top/ 6SP Manual
2004 Ford E350 12 Passenger Van, 6.0 Diesel with Quigley 4x4- Cold Weather Package
tomba is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomba View Post
I would....it needs about 20-25 miles before the lights cut off...have you gone that far with it? If you have, then I'd say one of them probably died in the swap ( I've heard of that happening). Just need to find out which and swap it out.
if a single sensor is dead it will not read psi it will show up as a flat line. Tire shops have a tool that they can hold on the outside of the tire to see if the sensor is sending a signal. mine comes and goes in 2-300 mile intervals. I swear tho everytime I make an appointment it starts working the next day and of course dealer can't/won't do anything other then blame the rims.
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
tomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
if a single sensor is dead it will not read psi it will show up as a flat line. Tire shops have a tool that they can hold on the outside of the tire to see if the sensor is sending a signal. mine comes and goes in 2-300 mile intervals. I swear tho everytime I make an appointment it starts working the next day and of course dealer can't/won't do anything other then blame the rims.
Ahh! I didn't see this at all...I went all aftermarket TPMS sensors just so I could throw my factory wheels back on with a moment's notice. Figured after dumping that much on wheels and tires what's a little more? lol
__________________
Current Jeeps:
1998 Jeep XJ- SOLD!
2014 Granite JKU Rubicon X 730n/ Dual Top/ 6SP Manual
2004 Ford E350 12 Passenger Van, 6.0 Diesel with Quigley 4x4- Cold Weather Package
tomba is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,136
I have a '14 with AEV pintlers, 35" MTR/Ks, and the stock TPMS sensors. I lowered the pressure threshold to 25 psi and keep them at 30 psi. The EVIC shows them at 28/27 most times.

I am sure that you are not over the threshold enough to make the Computer happy. Add a few more psi.

I know on the '13 the missus has if it gets down enough to trigger the warning, I need to run the tire up about 7 psi over the door sticker reading to retire it. Then I drop it a pound or two.
nwbronco is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,968
43? A stock JK is either 35 or 37 for muds which is listed on the door from Chrysler, so if you're running anything above those two pressures you shouldn't get a light as a result of having low air pressure. If it doesn't turn off within a day or so you might have a bad sensor. Once a bad sensor is eliminated you can adjust the TPMS setting (lower) with the Procal if you want. Again, your JK TPMS setting is for either 35 lbs. or 37lbs. if it came from the factory with muds. It will go off anywhere from 2-5 lbs. under with a stock setting.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
CoreyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,254
Just change the tire pressure sensor alarm... I believe the ProCal will allow you to lower it, not just shut it off. If not.. then perhaps buy a module that will like the FlashCal.
CoreyZ is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyZ View Post
Just change the tire pressure sensor alarm... I believe the ProCal will allow you to lower it, not just shut it off. If not.. then perhaps buy a module that will like the FlashCal.
once the TPM system trouble code is triggered lowering the threshold or even shutting it off does not clear the dash tpm system trouble alert. I have mine set at 22psi. I just think it is a glitchy system to say the least. the dealer indicated the same.
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
43? A stock JK is either 35 or 37 for muds which is listed on the door from Chrysler, so if you're running anything above those two pressures you shouldn't get a light as a result of having low air pressure. If it doesn't turn off within a day or so you might have a bad sensor. Once a bad sensor is eliminated you can adjust the TPMS setting (lower) with the Procal if you want. Again, your JK TPMS setting is for either 35 lbs. or 37lbs. if it came from the factory with muds. It will go off anywhere from 2-5 lbs. under with a stock setting.

10A's are 43....





Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
10A's are 43....





Bob K.
Appreciate the update. Didn't realize Chrysler raised the pressure as a result of the 10A package/tires. Always good to learn new info. 43 seems like there would be a rough ride.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 58
Yes, I do have a 10A. I originally thought maybe the sensor is broken/damaged but like some of you suggested, it wouldn't even read a PSI reading at all. I'm not sure what to do at this point, but drive it for a few more days and hope it clears up. When we aired it back up after the new setup, we did set it a little low--around 37-38. So maybe it took a few days to recognize it, so maybe it'll take another few days to recognize the change?
ADV.1JK is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,136
What is your psi now? And how long/how many run starts?

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 58
It's at 44-45 last I checked about 3 hours ago and I filled it up 6 hours ago, so it's holding. I probably drove 15 miles just from coming home.
ADV.1JK is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,136
I'd push it to 47 and then get 3 run starts in. Should retire the warning.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:35 PM   #16
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
I'd push it to 47 and then get 3 run starts in. Should retire the warning.

Bob K.
X2 I would also check the spare even tho the spare is not supposed to be detected. Owners manual says that some tinted windows can cause the fault as can certain electronic devices that are interfering with the radio frequencies

jadmt is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.