2004 Rubicon lift updates? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Steelers Country
Posts: 63
2004 Rubicon lift updates?

I have a 2004 rubicon with a 4 inch fabtech lift and a 1 inch body lift, there are other things including a t case drop and a motor mount lift I believe but it was all done by the PO. So one of my rear shocks busted the upper bar pin. I removed the shock and am awaiting a pair of RC upper bar pin eliminator kits. I got to thinking, I bought the rig with all of the lift and such attached. It's old and has definitely seen some use off and on road (105k miles worth). I might start invest in upgraded (not necessarily the best shocks/springs/ control arms but I will spend money for quality) suspension parts to refresh the system as a whole. I like the way it's setup now height wise so my question would be for general advise of to dos and not to dos. What shocks should I look at? Springs? I don't have the money to invest in a complete terra flex kit but I'd like to upgrade piece by piece. Suggestions comments and concerns welcome! Thanks for looking

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	2901617  
bianco013 is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Mostly old school..!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Now searching for rocks in Sumner, TX
Posts: 12,149
Personally, if it were mine, i would start with some good quality adjustable control arms (currie or metalcloak), then a double cardan rear drive shaft and get rid of the t-case drop. Replace the shocks if needed; Rancho rs5000x are getting great reviews. Don't know what you have as far as track bars go, but that would be something to look at. Springs would be the last thing you would need to worry about.

__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South of Indy
Posts: 60
if you are going piece at a time, make sure you go premium. Like parts Water Dog suggested. Spend hours and hours here and on other forums to really learn what is working for others.

Do it right the first time you spend the money or you will regret it later.

I just started a 03 tj build.
I am going with the RS5000x shocks and a Savvy 4" all aluminum control arm lift.
Will be doing SYE and DC driveshaft at the same time.

Just pulled my front driveshaft and going to go through that too. Buying all new spicer joints for it. Figured it needed some attention after 117k miles. Everything is stock on mine right now.

Check out the rest of the Jeep too. I need to order a new Mopar radiator. Mine is a leaking just a little.
I also am doing the valve cover gasket since it has a slight leak.

Make sure your frame is in good shape and you are taking steps to prevent rust.
alancamby is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-19-2016, 11:47 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Steelers Country
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
Personally, if it were mine, i would start with some good quality adjustable control arms (currie or metalcloak), then a double cardan rear drive shaft and get rid of the t-case drop. Replace the shocks if needed; Rancho rs5000x are getting great reviews. Don't know what you have as far as track bars go, but that would be something to look at. Springs would be the last thing you would need to worry about.
The lift on it currently has non adjustable control arms. Would you suggest upper and lower?
bianco013 is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
Mostly old school..!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Now searching for rocks in Sumner, TX
Posts: 12,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bianco013 View Post
The lift on it currently has non adjustable control arms. Would you suggest upper and lower?
IMO, any 4" suspension would benefit from 8 adjustable control arms. They will not only allow you to adjust your rear pinion angle for the double cardan drive shaft (that will allow you to get rid of the t-case drop), but they will also allow you to position your axle (front & back). The adjustable fronts allow adjustments to front pinion angle and caster. Adjustable track bars will keep your axles centered right to left.

I run 8 currie adjustable arms on my 4" suspension lift, and it drives down the highway better than stock. although a little pricey, after experiencing the difference in the way the Jeep handles, it would be my first upgrade on another one.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:29 AM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Steelers Country
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
IMO, any 4" suspension would benefit from 8 adjustable control arms. They will not only allow you to adjust your rear pinion angle for the double cardan drive shaft (that will allow you to get rid of the t-case drop), but they will also allow you to position your axle (front & back). The adjustable fronts allow adjustments to front pinion angle and caster. Adjustable track bars will keep your axles centered right to left.

I run 8 currie adjustable arms on my 4" suspension lift, and it drives down the highway better than stock. although a little pricey, after experiencing the difference in the way the Jeep handles, it would be my first upgrade on another one.
Im liking the Rancho RS5000x! I am having trouble finding the correct part numbers though. If i have a 4 in lift and 1in Body lift which part numbers should I be looking for?
bianco013 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Steelers Country
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by alancamby View Post
if you are going piece at a time, make sure you go premium. Like parts Water Dog suggested. Spend hours and hours here and on other forums to really learn what is working for others.

Do it right the first time you spend the money or you will regret it later.

I just started a 03 tj build.
I am going with the RS5000x shocks and a Savvy 4" all aluminum control arm lift.
Will be doing SYE and DC driveshaft at the same time.

Just pulled my front driveshaft and going to go through that too. Buying all new spicer joints for it. Figured it needed some attention after 117k miles. Everything is stock on mine right now.

Check out the rest of the Jeep too. I need to order a new Mopar radiator. Mine is a leaking just a little.
I also am doing the valve cover gasket since it has a slight leak.

Make sure your frame is in good shape and you are taking steps to prevent rust.
What part #s did you use for your shocks? i also have a 4in lift and want to get the right size
bianco013 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by bianco013 View Post
Im liking the Rancho RS5000x! I am having trouble finding the correct part numbers though. If i have a 4 in lift and 1in Body lift which part numbers should I be looking for?
the ones that have the proper ext and collapsed lengths to fit you rig
Ironhead Jed is online now   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South of Indy
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bianco013 View Post
What part #s did you use for your shocks? i also have a 4in lift and want to get the right size

RS55255
RS55256
http://www.gorancho.com/downloads/bu...ure_secure.pdf

I confirmed these part numbers with member "Rancho" here.

I bought them from Allen's off road.
Ordered last Friday (18th) and received yesterday (24th).

Still waiting on my lift.

Ordered 15x8" 1069 procomps with 33x12.5x15 GY duratracs on the 23rd.
Starting to get excited for it all to come in.

Good luck on your Jeep.

Alan
alancamby is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Steelers Country
Posts: 63
UPDATE

So far I have upgraded only the shocks to the rs500x's, but i am about to order the 8 currie adjustable control arms from savvy off road (i hear there is a WF discount but have yet to find the mysterious code) I have a ? regarding the rear drive shaft. I plan on dumping a shiny penny into Betsy here with the control arms and I would like to raise my clearance with an under body aluminum skid plate (Not sure which one yet) but will doing this change the length of my rear driveshaft? I don't know if i can do it all at once because poor college kid and I would HATE to buy a fresh TW driveshaft and then a year later an aluminum skid and need a new driveshaft...

OH and I'm doing all this in prep for a cross country drive to moab in the spring. too pumped.
bianco013 is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:30 PM   #11
Commercial Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Shark_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,699
Check out Adams drive shafts, a bit more reasonably priced.
__________________
One-of-a-kind wood shift knobs for sale

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/han...s-1175625.html
Shark_13 is online now   Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Steelers Country
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
Check out Adams drive shafts, a bit more reasonably priced.
Actually, the TW is cheaper for the Rubi.. Im only getting the 1310 series.

bianco013 is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
broken shock pin , rubicon , shocks , suspension , upgrades

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC