98 Tj Terrible Start - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Jerry Bransford
  • 1 Post By Jerry Bransford
  • 1 Post By Romero.Joseph
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Romero.Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 17
98 Tj Terrible Start

Hey all,

Just did a exhaust manifold gasket change, put everything back and started her up

When I started, the engine sounded way louder and more aggressive than usual, so I killed it immediately
Didnít get to take a look at the RPMs due to fear of killing my baby
Should I let it run for a bit?
Any help?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Romero.Joseph is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ibikee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South of Nashville Tn
Posts: 868
Did you torque it down in sequence?

__________________
2015 2dr Sport. Rubicon springs and shocks take offs for 1 1/2 inch lift. Auto. Regeared Yukon 4:11, 33" duratracs
2004 Rubicon. OME 2.5Ē lift. 1Ē body lift. 33Ē MTs.
ibikee is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:10 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Romero.Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibikee View Post
Did you torque it down in sequence?


Nope... gotta go back and re do all of it.
I will try that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romero.Joseph is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 48,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romero.Joseph View Post
Hey all,

Just did a exhaust manifold gasket change, put everything back and started her up

When I started, the engine sounded way louder and more aggressive than usual, so I killed it immediately
Didn’t get to take a look at the RPMs due to fear of killing my baby
Should I let it run for a bit?
Any help?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stop don't just tighten the manifold bolts tighter as that's not the problem and there's a good chance you could break something very expensive if you just tried tightening the bolts more. You simply didn't get the intake manifold seated properly which is a very common problem after changing the exhaust manifold or its gasket. I'm afraid you're very likely going to have to start over with this job but this time, make darned sure the intake manifold is properly seated over its small positioning studs. Take your time to get it seated and positioned right.

What is happening is the intake manifold is out of position enough to let air enter uncontrolled into the engine between it and the head instead of all of the air coming in via the throttle body where it can be controlled. With a bad enough leak there the engine will go to or near redline rpms. A smaller leak still causes higher than normal rpms.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:31 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Romero.Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Stop don't just tighten the manifold bolts tighter as that's not the problem and there's a good chance you could break something very expensive if you just tried tightening the bolts more. You simply didn't get the intake manifold seated properly which is a very common problem after changing the exhaust manifold or its gasket. I'm afraid you're very likely going to have to start over with this job but this time, make darned sure the intake manifold is properly seated over its small positioning studs. Take your time to get it seated and positioned right.



What is happening is the intake manifold is out of position enough to let air enter uncontrolled into the engine between it and the block instead of all of the air coming in via the throttle body where it can be controlled. With a bad enough leak there the engine will go to or near redline rpms. A smaller leak still causes higher than normal rpms.


Alrighty
thank you for the info, im gonna try torque sequence first and if that doesnt work then iíll re do everything


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romero.Joseph is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
rgreen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S. Georgia
Posts: 6,242
As many have learned - listen to Jerry. If the manifold is out of position, in the best case it won't work and in the worst case you could break something.
__________________
2003 Light Khaki TJ Rubicon, Manual, Soft Top
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara, Auto, Hard Top - Traded
2017 Chief JKU Chief, Auto, Hard Top
rgreen65 is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Patofnaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 659
Reason Jerry says do not tighten, even retorque, is it is common to not be on the alignment pins. If that is the case, the pin will act as a cantilever and your tightening will snap the intake.
__________________
2005 TJ SE (Slow Edition) Silver Metallic, 2.4L DOHC w/6spd NSG370, 31x10.5x15, 2" TF coil spacers, D30/DM35 diffs. MC Trackbar. Bilstein shocks.
Patofnaud is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:19 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Romero.Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 17
Havenít restarted but just checked rmps on start and it jumps to 3/4k on start
killed it before risking any damage
TPS is in correctly and all electricics are in correctly and I dont think a vacuum leak would cause this
Ideas?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romero.Joseph is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:07 PM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Romero.Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 17
Ok, where are the areas to watch out for?
Thank yíall so much for yíallís help





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romero.Joseph is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Romero.Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 17
Re-mounted everything, rpms are down

But now itís holding onto 2nd, it seems to die for a second and come back while driving

Help please


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romero.Joseph is offline   Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 48,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romero.Joseph View Post
I dont think a vacuum leak would cause this
That's EXACTLY (!!!!!!!!!!) the problem that kind of a vacuum leak causes. As said above, your problem is COMMON after doing what you did, your question gets asked a couple times a month here.

That particular vacuum leak can be bad enough for the engine to hit redline rpms immediately have being started.

Trust us that your issue is very (as close to 100% chance as you can get) likely nothing more than you didn't get the intake manifold seated properly.
BlakeWilliams likes this.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Romero.Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That's EXACTLY (!!!!!!!!!!) the problem that kind of a vacuum leak causes. As said above, your problem is COMMON after doing what you did, your question gets asked a couple times a month here.

That particular vacuum leak can be bad enough for the engine to hit redline rpms immediately have being started.

Trust us that your issue is very (as close to 100% chance as you can get) likely nothing more than you didn't get the intake manifold seated properly.


Thanks Jerry, I appreciate your help
Iíll update on Monday when I re try for a third time


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romero.Joseph is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:09 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
Romero.Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 17
All good now
But while looking at the manifold I learned that itís cracked
Fml
Think Iím gonna go with the Banks Revolver
Thank you again Jerry, your help is much appreciated around here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerry Bransford likes this.
Romero.Joseph is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #14
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 48,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romero.Joseph View Post
All good now
But while looking at the manifold I learned that itís cracked
Fml
Think Iím gonna go with the Banks Revolver
The Banks Revolver is a good product, it's not cheap though.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.