Last weekend I bought a 98 TJ with 177k miles on it as a project for my kids. It’s the 4.0 with a 5 speed manual transmission. They want to learn how to work on cars and being a Jeep enthusiast I picked this platform for cheap price point and easy to work on. This is my first TJ.
1. Teach kids to wrench
2. Reliability for kids to drive to school
3. Lift with 35” tires for SoCal trails
1. Power steering pump needs a rebuild
2. Transmission is really hard to shift
3. Top end clattering loudly
4. Needs new front seats and seat belts
5. Air conditioning doesn’t work
6. Parking brake doesn’t work
7. Transfer case doesn’t engage 4hi or low
I’d like advice on the order I should tackle the build. I was going to do the lift last thinking it was least important but if I start playing with the steering, should I have a strategy before I rebuild the power steering pump ?
All advice and other comments welcome, including pointers or links to other threads. I do try search first but I find Tapatalk very hard to use the search.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk