Death Wobble - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
Death Wobble

Alright jeepers,
I have a 2006 Jeep TJ, I just recently put a 2.5 inch lift kit on it about a week and a half ago and now I am experiencing the Death wobble. What are some suggestions I can do to correct it. I get vibrations as soon as I accelerate/push on the gas but, I get the death wobble around 40-60 and cant seem to go over 60 or I know for sure i'm getting the death wobble. I looked underneath at the front suspension checked everything for tightness and everything. There is a rubber dust boot that is popped that goes onto the pitman arm. could that possibly be it? (I am Fairly new to the Jeep world got my jeep about a little over 8 months ago and I am trying to learn everything I can so please take it easy on me). I did notice that my jeep pulls to the right side and is wearing super bad on the right side of my passanger side tire. I have not yet had an alignment because I am waiting to mount on new tires before I go up to a shop to have it aligned so I dont have to make more than 1 trip. My jeep kinda looks like this \...l could that also be an issue? I can't mount the tires until the new wheels come in. I also noticed that when I go over maybe about 40 that I will hear sort of a rattle coming from the driveshaft when I pull it out of gear. I cant quite explain how it sounds but it almost sounds like a rattle. so if you guys could help me out without having to break the bank to badly because I am a student in college that would be great. Thanks!

Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Ryan Angela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Yorkville IL
Posts: 1,815
You've got lots going on there. Share as much as you can about your vehicle. Lift type/brand/parts, wheel/tire size, recent suspension/steering work, etc. Also, a few pictures of your jeep from directly up front might help to see steering/suspension components. Include a pic of the rear drive shaft from the side too.
Then in the mean time, Google "dry steer test" to familiarize yourself with diy diagnostics.

__________________
'01 60th anniversary ed. TJ 4.0 3 speed auto, 3.5" susp lift, 1" MML, 1.25" BL 33X12.5X15 MTR's, weekend toy.
Ryan Angela is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,051
for starters, it needs to be aligned. you can do it yourself with a few basic tools in 10 min

TJ Toe-in Alignment - 1
Ironhead Jed is online now   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Evpjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 1,723
I'm thinking there is more going on here than just a few rattles and an alignment issue.
What is the Carfax of this Jeep? Before you acquired this Jeep did you do a full background check?
How many miles on it and what part of the country was it driven and under what conditions?
Etc.
Evpjr is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:37 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
So before I put on the Lift kit the jeep was running fine. Absolutely no rattles and was running super efficiently the only thing that I noticed is that it pulled maybe just a tad bit to the right but as soon as I put on the lift it pulls to the right significantly worse. I put on the Rough Country 2.5" extended coils and shocks lift kit that leveled the front with the rear. The size tire I have is 31x10.5 all terrains goodyear wrangler duratracs wheels 17" if that even matters. I will shortly try to upload a pic of the front suspension and driveshaft as soon as I can. I purchased the jeep with 160,000 miles on it this jeep has only been in Texas.
Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,051
without completing the alignment, the lift was not completed
Ironhead Jed is online now   Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
Okay so I just did the dry steer test and everything is solid. I looked at the upper and lower control arms and the bushings are toast they are cracked. Do i need to completely replace the control arms or can i just replace the bushings?
Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Ryan Angela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Yorkville IL
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepjeep0623 View Post
Okay so I just did the dry steer test and everything is solid. I looked at the upper and lower control arms and the bushings are toast they are cracked. Do i need to completely replace the control arms or can i just replace the bushings?
Do you still have the factory arms?
Yes, you can press out the bushings, but there are more horror stories about it than success stories. For not much more, you can replace the arms with factory replacements that have bushings already pressed in them. That's what I did and they worked just fine for me, until I realized the benefit of adjustable arms that have quality joints.
As far as the dry steer test, make sure you check both ends of the track bar closely. I'll even put my hand on the joint and close my eyes, helps me to detect even tiny movement. There should be no lateral movement in either end.
__________________
'01 60th anniversary ed. TJ 4.0 3 speed auto, 3.5" susp lift, 1" MML, 1.25" BL 33X12.5X15 MTR's, weekend toy.
Ryan Angela is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Angela View Post
Do you still have the factory arms?
Yes, you can press out the bushings, but there are more horror stories about it than success stories. For not much more, you can replace the arms with factory replacements that have bushings already pressed in them. That's what I did and they worked just fine for me, until I realized the benefit of adjustable arms that have quality joints.
As far as the dry steer test, make sure you check both ends of the track bar closely. I'll even put my hand on the joint and close my eyes, helps me to detect even tiny movement. There should be no lateral movement in either end.
I even did a dry steer test a second time just to make sure that I looked at everything thoroughly. Everything seems very stable. My control arms and track bars are all factory.. I'm deciding whether to get the adjustable control arms or adjustable track bars first. Any suggestions as to which type or even which ones to get first?
Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Ryan Angela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Yorkville IL
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepjeep0623 View Post

I even did a dry steer test a second time just to make sure that I looked at everything thoroughly. Everything seems very stable. My control arms and track bars are all factory.. I'm deciding whether to get the adjustable control arms or adjustable track bars first. Any suggestions as to which type or even which ones to get first?
I have personal experience with two ends of the spectrum. My TJ got rough country when I first got it. Premature failure and a less than pleasant ride prompted a change.
I got my LJ, and went full metalcloak suspension. Incredibly pleased with the ride, handling, and the parts are beefy and durable.
I've since started changing to metalcloak on the TJ.
Trackbar-I'd suggest metalcloak. I've heard there are only 1 or 2 others that offer the appropriate clearance up front. My TJ is at 2.5" and the metalcloak trackbar centers the axle nicely but it's adjusted nearly all the way in. Definitely leaves room to grow if you go higher.
Control arms-love my metalcloak. Beef, extra clearance at the brackets, known durability in the joints. Factory arms have some flex engineered into them. If you go aftermarket arms, make sure you get them with quality, flexible joints, or you put extra strain on the mounting brackets. Currie, Rockrawler are some others to look at.
__________________
'01 60th anniversary ed. TJ 4.0 3 speed auto, 3.5" susp lift, 1" MML, 1.25" BL 33X12.5X15 MTR's, weekend toy.
Ryan Angela is offline   Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Angela View Post
I have personal experience with two ends of the spectrum. My TJ got rough country when I first got it. Premature failure and a less than pleasant ride prompted a change.
I got my LJ, and went full metalcloak suspension. Incredibly pleased with the ride, handling, and the parts are beefy and durable.
I've since started changing to metalcloak on the TJ.
Trackbar-I'd suggest metalcloak. I've heard there are only 1 or 2 others that offer the appropriate clearance up front. My TJ is at 2.5" and the metalcloak trackbar centers the axle nicely but it's adjusted nearly all the way in. Definitely leaves room to grow if you go higher.
Control arms-love my metalcloak. Beef, extra clearance at the brackets, known durability in the joints. Factory arms have some flex engineered into them. If you go aftermarket arms, make sure you get them with quality, flexible joints, or you put extra strain on the mounting brackets. Currie, Rockrawler are some others to look at.
Do you know where I can find the adjustable Metalcloack track bar?
Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
Sorry gotta be more specific. I meant to say do you know where I can find the Adjustable Metalcloak front track bar?
Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,051
from their site.

have you done the alignment yet?
Ironhead Jed is online now   Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Ryan Angela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Yorkville IL
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepjeep0623 View Post
My jeep kinda looks like this \...l
Just caught this part of your original post. Elaborate on this, because it could be a bigger issue. Is this as viewed from the front, as in the top of the passenger tire is leaning out? That would be a camber issue, which is not adjustable on our jeeps. Before putting any $ into your jeep, focus on the alignment. The alignment doesn't change when you get new tires, so no reason to wait.
__________________
'01 60th anniversary ed. TJ 4.0 3 speed auto, 3.5" susp lift, 1" MML, 1.25" BL 33X12.5X15 MTR's, weekend toy.
Ryan Angela is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
I'm planning on doing the alignment today.
What I mean by \...| is that my passenger side tires does have more wear on the outer side of the tire than the drivers side tire. To me you can notice a little bit of the tire facing outwards.
Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #16
Mostly old school..!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Now searching for rocks in Sumner, TX
Posts: 12,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepjeep0623 View Post
I'm planning on doing the alignment today.
What I mean by \...| is that my passenger side tires does have more wear on the outer side of the tire than the drivers side tire. To me you can notice a little bit of the tire facing outwards.
Your toe in is off due to the lift. That is why your tire(s) are wearing on the outside. Get an alignment first....or do it yourself Here's a write up.

Also, check your transmission mount for separation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alignment Write up.pdf (624.2 KB, 14 views)
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Wattapunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 3,079
First and foremost, do the alignment and get your tires rotated/balanced along with replacing with factory MOOG upper/lower control arms. The bushings were probably on the way out and if the control arms were not loosened during the lift install and re-torqued properly, it likely contributed to the bushings failure and enhanced vibes aided with the lack of alignment/known uneven tire wear.
Wattapunk is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:27 PM
Thread Starter
  #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
Okay I did the alignment today. Everything is set perfectly for the alignment. I still do have a little bit of the wobble but everything is significantly better. It's just that the vibrations are a little annoying.
Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Ryan Angela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Yorkville IL
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepjeep0623 View Post
Okay I did the alignment today. Everything is set perfectly for the alignment. I still do have a little bit of the wobble but everything is significantly better. It's just that the vibrations are a little annoying.
Once you confirm the trans mount is in tact, you may consider adding a few washers to lower your skid plate. This will help ease the strain on the rear driveshaft, as result of the lift. After adding 2.5" springs on my TJ, I had to drop my skid about 3/4" to eliminate vibes. Only drop it as much as needed to eliminate vibration, and use washers first, don't waste money on a TC drop kit. Just make sure your bolts still have adequate thread engagement.
__________________
'01 60th anniversary ed. TJ 4.0 3 speed auto, 3.5" susp lift, 1" MML, 1.25" BL 33X12.5X15 MTR's, weekend toy.
Ryan Angela is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:29 PM
Thread Starter
  #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
Okay correction. Even though I had the alignment done I still have the death wobble.
Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,051
what are you experiencing?
Ironhead Jed is online now   Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Thread Starter
  #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
Okay so now that I have the alignment and everything. The acceleration vibes have subsided a lot. I plan on doing the tcase drop here soon. I get up to about 50 now and the steering wheel will start to wobble but I won't get the death wobble until I go over 50. I mostly think it's due to the control arms. Not absolutely positive but they are worn out for sure. I don't want to get stock control arms cause I might as well do it right the first time and save money in the long run. But I'm going to give the tcase drop a try before I move on to purchasing the control arms.
Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,051
new OEM arms with new bushings are ~$25 each and are superior to most aftermarket arms.

IMO, if the arms dont have johnny joints or duroflex joints, you are better off with OEM
Ironhead Jed is online now   Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:06 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Ryan Angela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Yorkville IL
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepjeep0623 View Post
Okay correction. Even though I had the alignment done I still have the death wobble.
If you had a shop do it, post your results.
__________________
'01 60th anniversary ed. TJ 4.0 3 speed auto, 3.5" susp lift, 1" MML, 1.25" BL 33X12.5X15 MTR's, weekend toy.
Ryan Angela is offline   Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:55 AM
Thread Starter
  #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
I gotta find the paper, it's in my house somewhere. Now I'm really interested in going metalcloak. With the control arms. Christmas is coming around the corner and I am asking my parents for the front set of metal control arms. Where could I find the right size metalcloak control arms?
Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #26
Mostly old school..!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Now searching for rocks in Sumner, TX
Posts: 12,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepjeep0623 View Post
I gotta find the paper, it's in my house somewhere. Now I'm really interested in going metalcloak. With the control arms. Christmas is coming around the corner and I am asking my parents for the front set of metal control arms. Where could I find the right size metalcloak control arms?
Metalcloak arms are adjustable, and are only available from Metlcloak. TJ Suspension
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Thread Starter
  #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
Metalcloak arms are adjustable, and are only available from Metlcloak. TJ Suspension
Do you know the specs I need to adjust the arms to for a 2.5" lift? Thanks

Beepjeep0623 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC