Drowned out TJ - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 60
Drowned out TJ

Son drowned out his jeep this weekend, two inches of water in his floor boards. No water in air cleaner or engine oil. Having problems with starter not turning over and then later it will start. Took starter apart and cleaned out with electrical cleaner and cleaned all wiring terminals, seems to not start in cold mornings but later in day it will start. Does the ignition switch actuator some time work and than not? Also noticed the steering wheel lock does not work/ Other problem is throttle body positioner shows low voltage fault. Jeep runs fine than drops rpms and couple seconds later runs normal. Will the throttle body positioner having low voltage cause the start circuit to not allow start circuit to turn over starter. Will the positioner getting wet cause it to fail and throw the fault? Will it dry out? Will have more time to get a meter out and trouble shoot this weekend. Thanks Gordyl

82shortbox is offline   Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
MI Smiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82shortbox View Post
... Having problems with starter not turning over and then later it will start. Took starter apart and cleaned out with electrical cleaner and cleaned all wiring terminals, seems to not start in cold mornings but later in day it will start. Does the ignition switch actuator some time work and than not? Also noticed the steering wheel lock does not work/ Other problem is throttle body positioner shows low voltage fault. Jeep runs fine than drops rpms and couple seconds later runs normal. Will the throttle body positioner having low voltage cause the start circuit to not allow start circuit to turn over starter. Will the positioner getting wet cause it to fail and throw the fault? Will it dry out? Will have more time to get a meter out and trouble shoot this weekend. Thanks Gordyl
Check the FSM schematic, I think you will find that the starter is direct through its solenoid controlled by the starter switch. 2 things I didn't hear: Cleaned the starter solenoid ? Also, the connector to the solenoid control coil is notorious for corrosion. Mopar sells a pigtail. Most just replace the starter. After the core return should be around $130 unless you can find a dealer discount. Well worth the peace of mind of reliable starts.

The Throttle body sensor is causing your other issue with rpm drop issue likely. It thinks its at a different postion and the engine controller is sending a different fuel pulse message.

__________________
2005 Silver TJ Unlimited Rubicon
"Was that you with the Smiley back at the Bridge ?"
MI Smiley is offline   Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:08 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 60
Its weird that the starter works fine one time and the next no sound at all.' going to run a wire to solenoid and next time it does not start power 12 volt right to the solenoid. The solenoid is sealed, got some electrical cleaner for starters and alternators and flushed starter and blew out with air. Cleaned up all connections. There is no adjustment on the positioner,when it got wet will it dry out or should I just buy a new one
82shortbox is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
MI Smiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82shortbox View Post
Its weird that the starter works fine one time and the next no sound at all.' going to run a wire to solenoid and next time it does not start power 12 volt right to the solenoid. The solenoid is sealed, got some electrical cleaner for starters and alternators and flushed starter and blew out with air. Cleaned up all connections. There is no adjustment on the positioner,when it got wet will it dry out or should I just buy a new one
No, some of the old timers told me the solenoid corrodes up. Not sure if they were talking about the control wire connector or inside the solenoid. One indicated he cleaned out the solenoid. The Parts guy at the dealership confirmed what others said that it can be a corroded control wire & connector, hence why they have a service part released pigtail ready to be crimped and soldered on.

I would replace the entire starter, and the pigtail and be done with it.

PS, that control wire could be corroded up inside the insulation you may not see
__________________
2005 Silver TJ Unlimited Rubicon
"Was that you with the Smiley back at the Bridge ?"
MI Smiley is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 60
WIERD, starter would not turn over this morning. Jumped solenoid to power at starter and turned over. Came home to nite and fired off key, must be gremlins. Hasn't turned over every morning this week and started every nite. Going out tomorrow with 12 volt lite and meter and hopefully get it figured out.
82shortbox is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
MI Smiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82shortbox View Post
WIERD, starter would not turn over this morning. Jumped solenoid to power at starter and turned over. Came home to nite and fired off key, must be gremlins. Hasn't turned over every morning this week and started every nite. Going out tomorrow with 12 volt lite and meter and hopefully get it figured out.

What are you expecting for a starter that has submerged in muddy water ????

As previously recommended. replace the starter with a good quality unit like mopar.
__________________
2005 Silver TJ Unlimited Rubicon
"Was that you with the Smiley back at the Bridge ?"
MI Smiley is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,012
Replace it.
BSA70 is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 60
Ended up being key switch problems, when the starter would not turn over I jumped the solenoid to positive at solenoid and it would spin. Installed new tbs sensor and cleared code. Running back to normal, just need to keep him away from water. Went and looked where he got stuck, only thirty feet of water most six inches deep except for the ruts right down the middle someone left. Water was waist deep in the ruts, water over his 35's, sitting on the differentials. He was in 4 low 1st gear when he went in slow. Someone else got stuck there after him, judging from the tire ruts. Asked him what he learned after sticking two jeeps, breaking two straps and one cable. His reply was I need a winch LOL

82shortbox is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.