HELP! TJ Transmission Noise/Knocking w/ Acceleration/Decel & Coasting with Engine Off - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Southern Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Exclamation HELP! TJ Transmission Noise/Knocking w/ Acceleration/Decel & Coasting with Engine Off

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (5-Speed Manual):

Hey guys, hope all is well. I recently replaced the aftermarket Skyjacker 2" Budget Boost/Lift (shocks and bumpers) on the used 2002 TJ that I recently purchased. The shock bushings had completely failed. This suspension was replaced with a 2" BDS Lift (NX2 Shocks and Springs) using bar pin eliminators from JKS. Looks great! However, actually has been a rough ride since the new lift was placed...100 miles in. Though not what I'm worried about today, and MAY NOT be what is causing my current problem (but want you guys to have the full story).

Noticed a new noise yesterday while on the interstate, that appears to be coming from the transmission/transfer case area. During acceleration and deceleration, at various speeds, a "knocking"/"rattle" - bearing type noise (low-pitch), can be heard coming from the transmission/drivetrain area...

This does not appear to be your typical "throw out bearing noise" that we all know about... and is not associated with turns, bumps, etc. The noise can be best heard while the Jeep is coasting, in gear with the engine OFF, clutch depressed. You hear it particularly in 1st and 2nd gear. The noise disappears when the transmission is coasting in NEUTRAL, with engine OFF. Again, it disappears in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear as well.

Your thoughts? U-Joints? Gears? Pinion bearing? Input bearing? Transfer case?

In an effort to give you guys info, and get the best solution/diagnosis...I have included 2 videos that you can watch. Links below. As expected, the phone recording does not capture "ALL" of the sounds that can be heard in a vehicle.

Thank you for any help with this worrisome problem.

Video 1:
https://youtu.be/TgtjQZVFwDU

Video 2:
https://youtu.be/-A-TcmjI8b8

Southern Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:02 AM
Thread Starter
  #2
Jeeper
 
Southern Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Maybe a Transfer Case drop is all that is needed...? Thoughts?

Surely a SYE/CV kit is not needed for a 2" BDS lift?

Southern Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,004
Did not here much but what changes between a engine off coast clutch pedal down coast when you put tranny in gear or in neutral is what happens in the input end of tranny

The tranny output is spinning with wheels as is the input and output of transfer case

What changes is in neutral the tranny input is not driven by wheels rolling but in gear it is

My guess is worn tranny input shaft bearing and pilot

So when clutch pedal down the tranny input shaft is only centered by the pilot bearing/bushing so with it forced to spin with engine off and wheels spinning you hear it

Would be more pronounced in lower gears with same vehicle speed as the lower the tranny gear the faster the input spins for a given wheel speed


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-29-2017, 01:21 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Southern Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Did not here much but what changes between a engine off coast clutch pedal down coast when you put tranny in gear or in neutral is what happens in the input end of tranny

The tranny output is spinning with wheels as is the input and output of transfer case

What changes is in neutral the tranny input is not driven by wheels rolling but in gear it is

My guess is worn tranny input shaft bearing and pilot

So when clutch pedal down the tranny input shaft is only centered by the pilot bearing/bushing so with it forced to spin with engine off and wheels spinning you hear it

Would be more pronounced in lower gears with same vehicle speed as the lower the tranny gear the faster the input spins for a given wheel speed


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Thanks Digger for the reply...

So, do you think this could have been brought on by and increased yolk/driveshaft angle from the new lift?

Or is this just a coincidence?

Again, could the new 2" lift caused this acute problem? If so, do we need to look into a SYE kit?

I want to prevent this from happening again...

Thanks again...
Southern Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,004
Don't see how it could be related unless the bell to engine bolts are not tight

Based on when it is there and what makes it go away it has to be in front half of tranny


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Southern Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Don't see how it could be related unless the bell to engine bolts are not tight

Based on when it is there and what makes it go away it has to be in front half of tranny


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Thanks again.

Thoughts on how to proceed? I'm not going to dig into the tranny in my garage... Don't have the tools, the tranny lift, or the know-how...

In a perfect world, I'd like to to have the transmission inspected... Parts replaced as needed, rear main seal replaced while they are there...along with a look at the throw out bearing and the clutch retainer spring.

Any thoughts on who to take it too? Or places to avoid? I don't have an established mechanic here in Nashville. Thanks.
Southern Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
dlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 280
From what I've read is, every Jeep is different, I just had 2 Inch pro comp springs installed, wicked vibration at 30 & 65 mph. Changed tranny mount and both rear u-joints. Took a TC drop to finally fix the issue, I plan on installing a SYE kit just so I can get rid of my 1 Inch TC drop
dlee is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Kyle SVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
Ok so I have the exact same noise. I just bought a 2001 9k mile tj bone stock and I have the girding noise while in neutral with clutch out. Then when I'm driving and slowing down to make a turn and push the clutch in and then into second gear with the clutch still pressed at low speeds I have the same noise. I think It could be this http://m.chrysler.oemdtc.com/TSB/21-002-01.pdf
Let me know if you figure it out. Not sure what it could be but with my jeep only having 9k miles I don't understand.
Kyle SVT is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Southern Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Update

UPDATE:

Took the TJ to the transmission shop this AM... Just picked her back up. They thought everything was fine, and the noise that I was hearing was a combination of new mud tires + new stiff lift + normal TJ noise...

Changed out the transmission fluid and called it a day.

SO... Part of me is glad, and part of me is hoping they didn't miss something.

But, better than dropping a new NV3550 or some other costly repair...

With that said, got about 150 on my BDS 2" lift and just heard from a knowledgeable mechanic/Jeep pro...that the BDS is great quality, and long lasting, BUT notoriously has a poor ride. Didn't realize that. Going to give it at least 1000 miles, but if it is STILL super stiff like it is now...I'm going to change the springs.

Also, may disconnect the sway bar links and let it flex on a hill this week... AND going to have a look a the lower control arms.

Thanks again for everyone's comments/help.
Southern Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:02 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Kyle SVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jeep View Post
UPDATE:

Took the TJ to the transmission shop this AM... Just picked her back up. They thought everything was fine, and the noise that I was hearing was a combination of new mud tires + new stiff lift + normal TJ noise...

Changed out the transmission fluid and called it a day.

SO... Part of me is glad, and part of me is hoping they didn't miss something.

But, better than dropping a new NV3550 or some other costly repair...

With that said, got about 150 on my BDS 2" lift and just heard from a knowledgeable mechanic/Jeep pro...that the BDS is great quality, and long lasting, BUT notoriously has a poor ride. Didn't realize that. Going to give it at least 1000 miles, but if it is STILL super stiff like it is now...I'm going to change the springs.

Also, may disconnect the sway bar links and let it flex on a hill this week... AND going to have a look a the lower control arms.

Thanks again for everyone's comments/help.
Did changing the fluid help? How many miles are on your jeep?
Kyle SVT is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 8,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jeep View Post
UPDATE:

Took the TJ to the transmission shop this AM... Just picked her back up. They thought everything was fine, and the noise that I was hearing was a combination of new mud tires + new stiff lift + normal TJ noise...

Changed out the transmission fluid and called it a day.

SO... Part of me is glad, and part of me is hoping they didn't miss something.

But, better than dropping a new NV3550 or some other costly repair...

With that said, got about 150 on my BDS 2" lift and just heard from a knowledgeable mechanic/Jeep pro...that the BDS is great quality, and long lasting, BUT notoriously has a poor ride. Didn't realize that. Going to give it at least 1000 miles, but if it is STILL super stiff like it is now...I'm going to change the springs.

Also, may disconnect the sway bar links and let it flex on a hill this week... AND going to have a look a the lower control arms.

Thanks again for everyone's comments/help.
What size tires? And what PSI are you running? I am going to guess that if drop the PSI a few lbs you will see a big improvement in the ride.
__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ - I4 PowerTech motor
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
F8.8/Artec Rear
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Kyle SVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
Ok so I think its the transfer case making the noise. When i shift the case into neutral the noise is gone.
Kyle SVT is offline   Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 8,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle SVT View Post
Ok so I think its the transfer case making the noise. When i shift the case into neutral the noise is gone.
Kyle, I would check the condition of fluids in the trans, xfercase, and both differentials. Even with only 9K, if at any time water got in, water loves to eat bearings...especially the pinion bearing on the rear axle. Just something to check.
__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ - I4 PowerTech motor
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
F8.8/Artec Rear
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Kyle SVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
Kyle, I would check the condition of fluids in the trans, xfercase, and both differentials. Even with only 9K, if at any time water got in, water loves to eat bearings...especially the pinion bearing on the rear axle. Just something to check.
Awesome thanks for the tip!
Kyle SVT is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
Southern Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle SVT View Post
Did changing the fluid help? How many miles are on your jeep?
Helped a little bit...My main source of concern is vibration/roughness at 60+mph.

Got 106,000 on the TJ.
Southern Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
Southern Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
What size tires? And what PSI are you running? I am going to guess that if drop the PSI a few lbs you will see a big improvement in the ride.
Running 31x10.5x15 BFG MT2's...at ~35 PSI all around.

May drop em' down to 32psi... Seen some guys talking about goings as low as 28?

Southern Jeep is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
help 2002 tj , jeep tj , manual transmission , transmission noise

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.