is it mandatory to use an expensive battery? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-24-2019, 11:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 21
is it mandatory to use an expensive battery?

I went to turn on my wrangler and it wouldn't turn on. I thought it's the battery and I jumped it, and it turned on. I waited a few minutes and pushed the gas pedal a few times and then turned it off.


The next day, it would not turn on again. so I decided to change the battery. I don't know much about this stuff, but it turns out that the battery that's currently in there is an optima yellowtop deep cycle. The lowest price I could find is $260. upon reading about this, it appears that this battery is used when a car has a lot of additional electrical components that need power.



The jeep has a light bar and a few other aftermarket lights installed. I am wondering, if I change the battery, can I just switch to a regular $100 battery that's found in all other cars? or it has to be this yellow top deep cycle whatever?


my second question which is not as important, auto zone says they can charge batteries for free (which I am sure is just a way to get you into the door so they can upsell you). based on the symptoms that I described, can I just charge it and it will work for a few months, or that battery is done?

joejohn is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #2
THE GODFATHER

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ. In the Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry..
Posts: 27,381
Most Auto parts stores, will carry a AGM battery, with the required cranking amps. Ballpark, $150.00
gsindela and joejohn like this.

__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Grizzly is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....


Click here and become a WF supporting Member
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
rgreen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S. Georgia
Posts: 6,152
The quoted advantage of an AGM battery is that they will last longer. Any 12v battery that has enough CCA and fits the box will work. The battery that is in my TJ for the last 18 months is a store brand Group 34 battery with 1000 CCA from a local battery store that cost me $128 including a new positive post clamp and tax, and it wasn't the cheapest battery of that size they sell. I could have saved $10 and gone for one with 850CCA or saved $20 on one with 750 CCA. And they installed it, something most auto parts stores won't do.

The battery that failed was an Interstate battery that I thought was new at the time I bought the TJ 3 1/2 years earlier. Came to find out that from the date code that the installer read it was in fact six years old which is pretty good for a basic battery.

Some in forum have been saying that since Optima has moved their manufacturing out of the U.S., they don't stand up as well.
__________________
2003 Light Khaki TJ Rubicon, Manual, Soft Top
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara, Auto, Hard Top - Traded
2017 Chief JKU Chief, Auto, Hard Top
rgreen65 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-25-2019, 02:13 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CharlottesHELL, Va
Posts: 2,494
My Walmart cheapo battery is over 5 years old. The battery starts the vehicle, the alternator runs all those accessories while driving. Charging the battery won't help if the alternator is weak.
__________________
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers/Black Magic brakes
99' XJ under construction/ 5.5" lift/ Rancho rs5000x shocks/HP30-8.25/ 33" DC MTs. (JEEP #18).
TheBoogieman is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
tzukows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 871
I need one before winter, along with some new cables from CustomBatteryCables.com.
I had good luck with Interstate Batteries.

Costco carries this Interstate Group 34, 800 CCA/1000 CA for only $88.99!
They don't sell anything that is not tested in their labs for quality.
For the money, this seems like a very good deal.

I had an Interstate 6V battery in a Model A ford for over 8 years and that was a vehicle that sat in storage half the year. We charged once each winter, but still... The longevity of the battery was great!

For less than $90? I'll give it a go with this one from Costco!
__________________
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
****************
05 TJ Rubicon
tzukows is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
BM3
Jeeper
 
BM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cedar Rapids, Ia.
Posts: 248
If you have a Theisen's around they have the Exide AGM-34 for $129.99

https://www.theisens.com/products/48mo-battery/
BM3 is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Commercial Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Shark_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,946
Buy any thing that is not an optima
__________________
One-of-a-kind wood shift knobs for sale

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/han...s-1175625.html
Shark_13 is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 494
Bought an Advance Auto battery (didn't have a choice at that time) with 1000CCA for less than $150 for the YJ works fine. Interstate is my battery of choice had one in my Lincoln for over 12 years also have one in my TJ for 5 years. No way would by any Optima overpriced junk!
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 5.13, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 3" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Mr. Bills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Area Code 530
Posts: 815
Costco Interstate = perfectly good replacement battery at a reasonable cost with an excellent warranty.
__________________
Mr. Bills
Area Code 530
KG6LMV

'06 Jeep "LJ" Rubicon, '46 Bantam T3-C trailer
Past Jeeps: '49 Willys Wagon, '54 CJ-3B, '65 CJ-5,
'83 CJ-7, '97 ZJ
Mr. Bills is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:45 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 21
Hi guys
thank you so much for guiding me in the right direction, being a noob, I thought I have to buy the optima battery.
will this battery also work or the CA and CCA is not good enough:
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...11868_485477_0
joejohn is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
DWT
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 18
If you going to use it as a normal car, any sufficiently sized batter will work. I would expect to pay $100 to $150.

"deep cycle" batteries are a little special in that they can be discharged much farther without damage. They are usually found in RV's and boats. This can be important if for instance, you want to have your light bar on for extended periods without running the engine. They usually cost more. Normal, non-deep cycle batteries are designed for maximum CCA to start the car and don't fair well when drained repeatedly.
DWT is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 27
Before you go and get a new battery, try charging it or jumping it again but this time run it/drive it for at least 20 mins. From your original post, it sounds like you only ran it for at most 5 minutes or so after the jump and let it sit till the next day. That may not have been enough time for the alternator to charge the battery depending on how drained it was before.

Also, check the battery for a date or date code just so you have an idea of how old the battery is.
__________________
2004 Jeep Wrangler X Columbia Edition
Cheezycheeto is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
If you going to use it as a normal car, any sufficiently sized batter will work. I would expect to pay $100 to $150.

"deep cycle" batteries are a little special in that they can be discharged much farther without damage. They are usually found in RV's and boats. This can be important if for instance, you want to have your light bar on for extended periods without running the engine. They usually cost more. Normal, non-deep cycle batteries are designed for maximum CCA to start the car and don't fair well when drained repeatedly.

not sure if we have the same definition for "normal" but pretty much, i just want to turn it on and drive it around. when I sell it, the next buyer might want to turn on the light bar, but not me.
joejohn is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezycheeto View Post
Before you go and get a new battery, try charging it or jumping it again but this time run it/drive it for at least 20 mins. From your original post, it sounds like you only ran it for at most 5 minutes or so after the jump and let it sit till the next day. That may not have been enough time for the alternator to charge the battery depending on how drained it was before.

Also, check the battery for a date or date code just so you have an idea of how old the battery is.

I looked for a date but could not find any. The battery is still inside the jeep so maybe the date is somewhere that's not visible.


you're right, I ran it for 5 minutes. But I don't understand why the battery would get drained. I didn't leave the lights on the night before or something like that. I did have my phone charger in the cigarrette thing, but I don't think that drains the battery?

and strangely, when I jumped it with a honda, it turned on, but now when I jumped it with a toyota, it did not turn on.
joejohn is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
logem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
Buy any thing that is not an optima

Why not buy an Optima? My Yellow Top was purchased 70,000 miles ago in 2012 and is still going strong with A/C, lockers, winch, etc. I don't understand the discard for Optima.
__________________
2001 Sahara, 5 Speed Manual, 4.6 stroker motor, 4.5" lift, body lift, motor lift, flat skid plate, high-line fenders, lockers, but still running on 33's.
logem is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:07 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
info4tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by logem View Post
Why not buy an Optima? My Yellow Top was purchased 70,000 miles ago in 2012 and is still going strong with A/C, lockers, winch, etc. I don't understand the discard for Optima.
Because Optimas 7 years ago were made here and had stellar reviews...unlike current garbage! Do some research before buying. Buyer Beware.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
tj slipper likes this.
info4tim is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Bobnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Lebanon NH
Posts: 870
I ran a Duralast Gold from Autozone in my TJ, whatever TJ used, group 34 maybe but not AGM, for years. Many years, at least five before I traded it and it was still going strong. I only had a winch, no other exciting accessories.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Bobnh is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:32 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Gottagofast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8,394
ANY battery that fits properly will be fine BUT I doubt that you need a battery at all.... my bet is that you need an alternator..
.
Don't buy ANYTHING until you get the batt and alternator tested.
gbyenko and Bobnh like this.
__________________
I come in peace.... I mean you no harm
Currently in the stable: ... 97 tj 4.0 5 speed stock....04 tj 4.0 auto 4" and 33's... 98 tj roller for future build... 94 yj sahara 4.5" RE and 33's... 92 yj sbc 3/4 ton axles and 38's... Cj5,7,yj,xj,ex mud dragster project

TJ dash speakers that actually rock! Kicker sub and amp in center console
Gottagofast is online now   Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
cthusker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NW Connecticut
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by logem View Post
Why not buy an Optima? My Yellow Top was purchased 70,000 miles ago in 2012 and is still going strong with A/C, lockers, winch, etc. I don't understand the discard for Optima.
That's funny because I also have a yellow top in my vette for the past 6+ years. Works just fine and zero issues. I do use a battery tender when the car sits for long period like over the winter.

Someone pointed out they are no longer made in the USA so perhaps mine was indeed made better? No idea except to say they are really expensive and will probably buy something else when it dies....
__________________
NW Connecticut
cthusker is online now   Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #20
Commercial Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Shark_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by logem View Post
Why not buy an Optima? My Yellow Top was purchased 70,000 miles ago in 2012 and is still going strong with A/C, lockers, winch, etc. I don't understand the discard for Optima.
Because they are quite a bit more expensive than other AGM batteries, and don't necessarily perform any better.

They have good marketing though.
__________________
One-of-a-kind wood shift knobs for sale

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/han...s-1175625.html
Shark_13 is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NW Washington State
Posts: 27
Many auto parts stores nowadays will let you take a battery tester out to the parking lot to check out your vehicle. The better testers will not only tell you the condition of your battery but also the state of your charging system. Give your local store a call to see what they offer. You should be able get the definitive answers you need without paying a shop to look at it.
Bakes is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #22
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 494
For many years Optima was the battery to have when they moved the manufacturing plant to Mexico the quality seriously dropped. Besides that, an Optima doesn't like to charge at much more than 2 amps and I like to have a faster battery recovery when doing long or multiple winch recoveries. Now if the quality issues have been fixed I can't tell you because I run Interstate batteries when I have a choice. Optimas are still ridiculously overpriced for what you get, no matter what.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 5.13, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 3" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,143
Not a big optima fan but do like AGM as they donít leak corrosive acid so a TJ with only AGM use typically has rust free battery area


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejohn View Post
I looked for a date but could not find any. The battery is still inside the jeep so maybe the date is somewhere that's not visible.


you're right, I ran it for 5 minutes. But I don't understand why the battery would get drained. I didn't leave the lights on the night before or something like that. I did have my phone charger in the cigarrette thing, but I don't think that drains the battery?

and strangely, when I jumped it with a honda, it turned on, but now when I jumped it with a toyota, it did not turn on.
When your car is off, there's still a small current draw from the electrical system. It goes to stuff like keeping the time on the clock, remembering the saved radio stations, an alarm system if you have one, etc.

Doesn't seem to be consistent to others on here but my tj has one cigarette lighter on only when key on and one cigarette lighter that's always on. If you have your adapter and cable plugged into a cigarette outlet that's always on and your phone attached or there's an light on it, it will also slowly drain the battery.

What happened when you jumped it with the toyota? no crank, click, etc? tried to crank but was slow? Sometimes when I jump cars, i have to readjust the jumper cables to get a good connection before it works. Especially if there's crud on the terminals. I'd try again and drive it over to your preferred auto parts store for them to test the battery and charging system.
__________________
2004 Jeep Wrangler X Columbia Edition
Cheezycheeto is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:32 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
B4ZINGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 348
Agreed with a previous post. Before you start buying parts, you must first recharge the battery. Jump-starting and goosing the gas a bit for a "few minutes" puts very little charge into it. It needs to be driven around for about half an hour to put any meaningful charge into it.

I learned this lesson in my Chrysler this past winter. Normally the car sits on a battery tender throughout the winter, but this year we had only one tender, so I put it on my other half's stored car (happy wife happy life) and left mine un-tended. Add to that the fact I had an LED bluetooth accessory that was unknowingly turning itself on whenever my phone was in range (Jeep parked directly in front of where the car sat in the garage, so everytime I went anywhere), left the battery stone-cold dead. I let the car run after a jump at idle for 45 minutes, and still the car would not start after cycling the ignition immediately. I assumed the battery was finally shot after 5 years of this level of abuse (have drained it fully several times per year).

While we were at a winter wheeling event, I got the idea to look at trickle chargers. I found that Napa sold a "smart charger" system with tons of bells and whistles and it was on sale. It has a specific mode for AGM batteries, which this one is, and could be used while the battery was in the car. It has several charging rate modes, including a jump-start mode for when you really need to go and don't have another vehicle (charger plugs into the standard 110V). When running a standard charge cycle, the charger performs a series of tests, applying various loads to the battery to determine dead cells, charge capacity, internal short, etc, and then it fully charges the battery at a variable rate so as to preserve battery life and capacity. It runs one more check, fully charges again, then switches to maintenance mode. It's designed to run overnight. It told me my battery was OK. It's a 5 year old Advance Auto Parts AGM battery that by all rights should be dead now. The car still starts every time without being on the tender, sitting for a week or two at a time, now that I've rewired my accessories to require the ignition to be on (made my own sPod-style switch bank).


So, drive the Jeep around for half an hour, then take it to the auto parts store and have them check the battery and alternator to confirm health. If they're OK, then you have a draw happening somewhere that replacing the battery and alternator probably won't fix.
__________________
2002 Chrysler 300M Special - Deep Sapphire Blue - 124,500 miles, modded show car

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Hydro Blue - Max Tow pkg, painted hard top
TRS Morimoto Sealed7 55w 6000K HID system | GraBars front pair | Morimoto LED Jeep foglights | AEV 2.5" lift w/ Geo brackets | AEV Pintlers w/ 285/75 KO2s | Hard Rock bumpers | JKS swaybar disconnects | Warn 9.5 CTi-S w/ Maximus Classic Hoop
B4ZINGA is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CharlottesHELL, Va
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Charging the battery won't help if the alternator is weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejohn View Post
I ran it for 5 minutes. But I don't understand why the battery would get drained.
Bobnh likes this.
__________________
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers/Black Magic brakes
99' XJ under construction/ 5.5" lift/ Rancho rs5000x shocks/HP30-8.25/ 33" DC MTs. (JEEP #18).
TheBoogieman is offline   Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejohn View Post
I went to turn on my wrangler and it wouldn't turn on. I thought it's the battery and I jumped it, and it turned on. I waited a few minutes and pushed the gas pedal a few times and then turned it off.


The next day, it would not turn on again. so I decided to change the battery. I don't know
much about this stuff, but it turns out that the battery that's currently in there is an optima yellowtop deep cycle. The lowest price I could find is $260. upon reading about this, it appears that this battery is used when a car has a lot of additional electrical components that need power.



The jeep has a light bar and a few other aftermarket lights installed. I am wondering, if I change the battery, can I just switch to a regular $100 battery that's found in all other cars? or it has to be this yellow top deep cycle whatever?


my second question which is not as important, auto zone says they can charge batteries for free (which I am sure is just a way to get you into the door so they can upsell you). based on the symptoms that I described, can I just charge it and it will work for a few months, or that battery is done?
I am running one from Autozone. Their “gold” line.
Spencer500 is offline   Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:29 PM   #28
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Battery experience

I have been buying batteries for over 45 years. Boats, bikes, cars, p/u trucks, semi trucks, refrigerated trailers, mowers etc. The deeper cycle batteries are great if you need long term amp drainage. Such as boat trolling motors, constant stereo use in vehicles without running engine, etc. Larger engines with more electronics at start up and heavier drag due to heavy oil etc need more cranking amps. But for a Jeep unless it is really loaded with electronics shouldn't need much more than a heavy duty car or truck battery. Over the past ten years I have been buying all batteries from Wal-Mart (NO I am not a paid spokesman). I have just found that if I keep my receipt in a sandwich bag taped to the side of the battery, that when it goes dead I can go to Wal-Mart and get a new one prorated. Some batteries seem to last a long time and others drain bad (such as motorcycle, mower and boat batteries). So for my 1 1/2 cents worth...go get a decent battery at Wally's that fits the box, tape the receipt to the battery, go till it drops and get a new one prorated. Now go drive that thing.
TheBoogieman likes this.
Jayboy is offline   Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 92677 & 92004
Posts: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboy View Post
I have been buying batteries for over 45 years. Boats, bikes, cars, p/u trucks, semi trucks, refrigerated trailers, mowers etc. The deeper cycle batteries are great if you need long term amp drainage. Such as boat trolling motors, constant stereo use in vehicles without running engine, etc. Larger engines with more electronics at start up and heavier drag due to heavy oil etc need more cranking amps. But for a Jeep unless it is really loaded with electronics shouldn't need much more than a heavy duty car or truck battery. Over the past ten years I have been buying all batteries from Wal-Mart (NO I am not a paid spokesman). I have just found that if I keep my receipt in a sandwich bag taped to the side of the battery, that when it goes dead I can go to Wal-Mart and get a new one prorated. Some batteries seem to last a long time and others drain bad (such as motorcycle, mower and boat batteries). So for my 1 1/2 cents worth...go get a decent battery at Wally's that fits the box, tape the receipt to the battery, go till it drops and get a new one prorated. Now go drive that thing.

My only problem with this plan is when it goes out on the trail hours from any wally world you'll be pissed. I personally run AGM batteries in all of our vehicles since the CA heat beats the batteries up. In the Jeeps I run Odysseys. In our other cars, Bosch blue top AGMs (which are actually a decent battery and not too expensive). I have had Optima batteries go out in the worst spots and have had to swap batteries with other vehicles that were manual transmissions to get home. Never again. I even have buddies that work for Johnson Controls (parent company of Optima and Interstate) and get discounts and they don't even run them.
Kota7x is offline   Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West Texas
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejohn View Post
I looked for a date but could not find any. The battery is still inside the jeep so maybe the date is somewhere that's not visible.


you're right, I ran it for 5 minutes. But I don't understand why the battery would get drained. I didn't leave the lights on the night before or something like that. I did have my phone charger in the cigarrette thing, but I don't think that drains the battery?

and strangely, when I jumped it with a honda, it turned on, but now when I jumped it with a toyota, it did not turn on.
Tighten down the battery terminal connectors, especially the negative connector. Usually it is the negative that loosens ups. A loose connection would cause the battery not to be properly charged.

Personally, after the 2nd time I usually end up changing out the battery connectors, since by that time the terminal can no longer be tighten enough. When others need a jump and they didn't leave lights on or such, 9 out of 10 times at least one of the terminal connectors were lose enough that with a little pressure I can twist them off.

Sarkaukar2000 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.