LED or HID Headlight Conversion - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
RedRumblinWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 84
LED or HID Headlight Conversion

I was wondering if someone could give me some insight on which way I should go for new headlights. I do a lot of driving on extremely dark back roads in the woods, and my current headlights are making me feel like I'm diving with a blindfold on. Could someone tell me how I would go about getting new HID or LED headlights that are somewhat easy to install and are very bright? I'm a 16 year old kid on a busser's pay, so I don't have a lot of cash to play with. Any answers would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

RedRumblinWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Grainger County, Tennessee
Posts: 44
Look on eBay you can get some hid's for around 40 dollars. Bright and look good

Tek1836 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
RedRumblinWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek1836 View Post
Look on eBay you can get some hid's for around 40 dollars. Bright and look good
I'm kinda nervous about anything from eBay being that I currently have 'halo' headlights from eBay and I love the way they look, but they aren't bright at all, and I bought them for $60
RedRumblinWrangler is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Fullback40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 237
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All of the lights on my TJ are LED except the headlights. Couldn't see paying $500 for the truck lights or any other brand. I went with the Rampage conversion set up from Amazon. Less than $100 and more than twice as bright as stock. Don't bother buying the new harness. Your stock harness will fit just fine.
__________________
“Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!”
Fullback40 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
2004jeeptj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback40 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 All of the lights on my TJ are LED except the headlights. Couldn't see paying $500 for the truck lights or any other brand. I went with the Rampage conversion set up from Amazon. Less than $100 and more than twice as bright as stock. Don't bother buying the new harness. Your stock harness will fit just fine.
I got my truck lites for 366.
2004jeeptj is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 9,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback40 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 All of the lights on my TJ are LED except the headlights. Couldn't see paying $500 for the truck lights or any other brand. I went with the Rampage conversion set up from Amazon. Less than $100 and more than twice as bright as stock. Don't bother buying the new harness. Your stock harness will fit just fine.
I had those, replaced them with TL $358, night and day difference!
__________________
John
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.
MY BUILD: :
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/s...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Fullback40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 237
Silly question but whats the life expectancy on the TL leds? and where did you get your TL's for that price?
__________________
“Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!”
Fullback40 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 9,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback40 View Post
Silly question but whats the life expectancy on the TL leds? and where did you get your TL's for that price?
I got mine from Drivetrain America. They come with a 3 yr warranty but they'll LED's they tend to last forever. (Knock on wood) If you have a JK I think Northridge has the best deal with the anti flicker harness.
__________________
John
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.
MY BUILD: :
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/s...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Littleton
Posts: 2,972
I would definitely go with LEDs if you can swing it. If not LEDs then do a good H4 conversion. I got Cibie E Codes and stock wattage bulbs off Amazon for just over $100 bucks and definitely night and day difference over stock.

I wouldn't run HIDs, certainly not in an H4 housing. Maybe in projectors, but at that price I'd rather have LEDs.
freeskier is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Tank555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 603
I used the Lifetime LED bulbs on mine, the light is very white and bright, plug right in. They are 10x better than stock.
__________________
_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

2014 JK Rubicon Amp'd
Tank555 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 6,886
H.I.D.s on my TJ = WOW! - JeepForum.com

You can do HIDs for under 200 with Hella Ecodes and DDM HIDs but I would just get TruckLites. I had DDM HIDs and Hella ECodes fir a little over 3 years and loved the light output but bulbs kept going each year. Fortunately I had the older Raptor ballasts which had a lifetime warranty on the bulbs but taking them out and shipping and waiting for new bulbs direct from china was a 2-3 week wait each time and I got tired of it. Just got the TruckLites and love them.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:49 AM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
RedRumblinWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
H.I.D.s on my TJ = WOW! - JeepForum.com You can do HIDs for under 200 with Hella Ecodes and DDM HIDs but I would just get TruckLites. I had DDM HIDs and Hella ECodes fir a little over 3 years and loved the light output but bulbs kept going each year. Fortunately I had the older Raptor ballasts which had a lifetime warranty on the bulbs but taking them out and shipping and waiting for new bulbs direct from china was a 2-3 week wait each time and I got tired of it. Just got the TruckLites and love them.
i just can't bring myself to pay $355 for headlights. I love the way the look and how bright they are, I just can't do it...
RedRumblinWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:39 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
tkfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank555 View Post
I used the Lifetime LED bulbs on mine, the light is very white and bright, plug right in. They are 10x better than stock.
TJs headlights are sealed meaning you can't simply buy a bulb and switch it out.
__________________
Yellow 04 LJ 4spd Auto: Building In Progress
-JKD44 Front w/ 5.13, 1" Stretch, OX Locker, OX Diff Cover, RuffStuff 1 Ton GM Steering, RuffStuff Panhard Kit, Retubed 3"x0.25 DOM, Gusseted
-JKD44 Rear w/ 5.13, 4" Stretch
-King 14" Remote Resi Coilovers Front/Rear, 37" MTR/K, Clayton 3-Link Front, 4-Link Rear

My Build Thread
tkfx is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Texas_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfx View Post
TJs headlights are sealed meaning you can't simply buy a bulb and switch it out.
Would a JK housing fit in a TJ grill? They are both 7" At the very least I know KC makes a TJ housing where you can switch bulbs.
__________________
If you can't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.
'98 TJ Zone 4.25" lift, Antirock, 35" MTR/K, HP30 w/ RCVs, detroit locker, D44 swapped rear w/ ten factory chromos, detroit locker, Rokmen Hi-Lines, Vanco BBK
Texas_TJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post
Would a JK housing fit in a TJ grill? They are both 7" At the very least I know KC makes a TJ housing where you can switch bulbs.
Any H4 7" round (and there are many) will fit and accept a H4 bulb.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
RedRumblinWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRumblinWrangler View Post
i just can't bring myself to pay $355 for headlights. I love the way the look and how bright they are, I just can't do it...
Did he have both an IPF and Hella housing in that write up...?
RedRumblinWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
tkfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post
Would a JK housing fit in a TJ grill? They are both 7" At the very least I know KC makes a TJ housing where you can switch bulbs.
JK headlights are H11, TJ headlights are H4. You can purchase adapters that convert H4 to H11.
__________________
Yellow 04 LJ 4spd Auto: Building In Progress
-JKD44 Front w/ 5.13, 1" Stretch, OX Locker, OX Diff Cover, RuffStuff 1 Ton GM Steering, RuffStuff Panhard Kit, Retubed 3"x0.25 DOM, Gusseted
-JKD44 Rear w/ 5.13, 4" Stretch
-King 14" Remote Resi Coilovers Front/Rear, 37" MTR/K, Clayton 3-Link Front, 4-Link Rear

My Build Thread
tkfx is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Majnoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfx View Post
JK headlights are H11, TJ headlights are H4. You can purchase adapters that convert H4 to H11.
It's the connecter not the bulb. Most JK's have the problem. Our stock wires fit H4 bulbs JK's need an adapter. Hope this helps. You can uh right up to an h4 upgrade with a tj. JK's need wires and a connecter.
Majnoon is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Thread Starter
  #19
Jeeper
 
RedRumblinWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
H.I.D.s on my TJ = WOW! - JeepForum.com You can do HIDs for under 200 with Hella Ecodes and DDM HIDs but I would just get TruckLites. I had DDM HIDs and Hella ECodes fir a little over 3 years and loved the light output but bulbs kept going each year. Fortunately I had the older Raptor ballasts which had a lifetime warranty on the bulbs but taking them out and shipping and waiting for new bulbs direct from china was a 2-3 week wait each time and I got tired of it. Just got the TruckLites and love them.
Could I do them with IPF housings rather than Hella Ecodes? Which is better?
RedRumblinWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Thread Starter
  #20
Jeeper
 
RedRumblinWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
H.I.D.s on my TJ = WOW! - JeepForum.com You can do HIDs for under 200 with Hella Ecodes and DDM HIDs but I would just get TruckLites. I had DDM HIDs and Hella ECodes fir a little over 3 years and loved the light output but bulbs kept going each year. Fortunately I had the older Raptor ballasts which had a lifetime warranty on the bulbs but taking them out and shipping and waiting for new bulbs direct from china was a 2-3 week wait each time and I got tired of it. Just got the TruckLites and love them.
And which bulb kit do I get? He says about using IPF housings but references the hella rubber seal, and then it says to get the ddm kit but underneath someone asks about getting them and he tags a VVME kit, in which the title of the post says not to get? I'd like to do that, but that post confused the hell out of me and I don't want to buy the wrong stuff? What do I need from that post?
RedRumblinWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
2004jeeptj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 415
Here is silver star light on the right and truck light led on the left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1164371199.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1220649
2004jeeptj is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRumblinWrangler View Post
And which bulb kit do I get? He says about using IPF housings but references the hella rubber seal, and then it says to get the ddm kit but underneath someone asks about getting them and he tags a VVME kit, in which the title of the post says not to get? I'd like to do that, but that post confused the hell out of me and I don't want to buy the wrong stuff? What do I need from that post?
The original first post recommended VME but he later changed it based on his experiance.

I had DDM 6000k 55w but I would not recommend based on bulbs constantly burning out. I had free replacements which you cannot get any more. It will cost around $50 for pair of replacements with shipping if they go out on you. In a few years you should have just spent the money on the TruckLites

If you must, you want a real E-Code lens and there are several
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #23
Jeeper
 
RedRumblinWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
The original first post recommended VME but he later changed it based on his experiance. I had DDM 6000k 55w but I would not recommend based on bulbs constantly burning out. I had free replacements which you cannot get any more. It will cost around $50 for pair of replacements with shipping if they go out on you. In a few years you should have just spent the money on the TruckLites If you must, you want a real E-Code lens and there are several
Could I use the Hella Vision plus lamps? Or are they not as good as the Ecodes?
RedRumblinWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,017
E codes are the best way to go unless your state has inspection nazi that require a dot in the glass then the Harley surplus new hella e codes can get you by

Also run a good relay controlled power to your new H4s for best results
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
tbensor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRumblinWrangler View Post
Could I do them with IPF housings rather than Hella Ecodes? Which is better?
I have the ipf. No issues so far with the law
tbensor is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
jherrington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 2,372
While driving last night I did get a glimpse of the jw speaker headlight. It was a motorcycle though.. Not a jeep. The light output was pretty good. But after seeing that and driving my moms car with HID projectors, I think I'll go that rout.
__________________
5.3 swap and jeep build page here!
jherrington is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
mattTJaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 176
I got the delta headlights from 4 wheel parts for $115ish, and I love them. Not sure the model type but that should be enough info to find them. They're pretty blue to not be hid or led, and they're bright as hell, definitely satisfied. The led headlights have been slowly coming down in price, so if you don't need them right away, and you want led's, I'd just give it a little while. I feel like they'll come down significantly soon.
mattTJaaron is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRumblinWrangler View Post
Could I use the Hella Vision plus lamps? Or are they not as good as the Ecodes?
Vision Plus are US DOT which allows a lot more glare. ECodes are European spec and have a sharper cutoff line of light which is what you want to hopefully avoid blinding other drivers if you are going ahead with HIDs. (you still HAVE to aim them correctly)

The ECodes don't show up on Quadratec main index. Just type ecode in the search window. Try googling the part number and you may find a better price.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Thread Starter
  #29
Jeeper
 
RedRumblinWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
Vision Plus are US DOT which allows a lot more glare. ECodes are European spec and have a sharper cutoff line of light which is what you want to hopefully avoid blinding other drivers if you are going ahead with HIDs. (you still HAVE to aim them correctly) The ECodes don't show up on Quadratec main index. Just type ecode in the search window. Try googling the part number and you may find a better price.
My Hella Ecodes arrived today and I'm just waiting on my DDM Tuning shipment. Should I be doing any modifications to the Ecode lamp, like the shield and things inside? I know I have to modify the boot, but anything else? And any other tips on aiming them so that I don't blind people? I read the forum on it and it kind of confused me more.
RedRumblinWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brandon FL
Posts: 127
When I got my TJ I thought the lights didn't work. They were Wagner BriteLite. What junk. I could hardly see and I drive suburbs/in town. I bought Hella Vision Plus from 4wd.com for $40 each they are halogen and nice and bright and plugged right in where I took the old junk out. Worth the 80 some dollars with shipping.

bw2004 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.