Oil consumption questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chevymad
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-07-2019, 01:47 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 136
Oil consumption questions

I have a 2006 tj 2.4. It’s consuming 3 quarts of oil per 1500 miles (sigh). Otherwise car runs great. I don’t have money to put into itRight now. Any idea for additives or other ideas? I’ve heard of liquimoly. But not sure. Any opinions or ideas help. Thanks

Joshpasley13 is offline   Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:09 AM   #2
Commercial Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Shark_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,953
You could do some tests to see why/where it's losing oil. Compression test etc. Can rent tools for free at AutoZone .
How does the coolant look?

__________________
One-of-a-kind wood shift knobs for sale

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/han...s-1175625.html
Shark_13 is offline   Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:26 AM   #3
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,450
I would not add liquid moly to an engine burning that much oil. Try moving up a grade to a 5W40 if you haven't already done so. I would also do as @Shark_13 mentioned and try and find the problem. You could have coked rings, bad valve stem seals, both, or a number of other problems, proper testing is very helpful. Have you tried replacing the PCV valve, or done a piston soak? If not I'd replace the PCV valve first, but only with an OE replacement part. Good luck.
__________________
1988 E-150 4.9L 5 Speed Stick
2008 Jeep Liberty Auto Trans
2016 JK Rubicon Hard Rock Auto Trans

God Bless Our Troops
demarpaint is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 41
I too have an 06 TJ, with the 2.4. I had the engine rebuilt, and it did stop the oil burning. BUT....you may have a problem later on with the catalytic !! It may get so gummed up if the oil is going out the pipe, that it could fail. I had to replace the cat on mine, ( live in Kommifornicate), and it was REALLY expensive. Find out WHERE that oil is going, and fix that I think. Since the cat will burn up the oil if going out that way, you may have a leak, or something into the coolant.
tj slipper is offline   Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lansing,Mi
Posts: 639
I would not use the Liqui Moly. As mentioned, it would be helpful to know why it consumes oil. Try replacing the PCV. If it is something like a stuck ring, an engine flush may help. This is one I have had good results with.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ush/?zo=226468
If the engine is worn out, switching to a higher viscosity oil may slow down the consumption.
wheels082 is offline   Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 136
Let me add a few more comments of things I’ve done. Thanks for all your responses. Compression test has been done. It was good on all 4 cylinder. I have replaced the pcv valve with an aftermarket one. And it has 182000 miles
Joshpasley13 is offline   Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 136
I’m now using 30 weight oil but not really helping
Joshpasley13 is offline   Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
8thtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: White mountains of AZ
Posts: 239
Does it smoke? It can be hard seeing anything from the drivers seat. Carboned up rings could be possible. Lots of guys like a quart of Marvel Mystery in the crank case for stuff like this. Not much of a snake oil supporter myself, but Ive seen it do wonders for lifters and stuck valves from short trippin, no warm up's and lots of miles. MMO supposedly dissolves carbon and not just knocks it loose which is generally why I thin these "motor flush" gimmicks are pure snake oil profiteering trash. Think Carbon, its hard like Diamonds, and can score bearings or cylinder walls to the point of no return. At 3 quarts in 1500 miles I cant see it harming things but you might wanna consider the next move engine wise.
8thtimer is offline   Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,150
Oil consumption questions

Does it have a valve cover leak
The 2.4 cover gasket set includes four ring seals one for each spark plug hole

The 2.4 turbo on wife’s PT cruiser has 140k miles and losses very little oil between oil changes


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thtimer View Post
Does it smoke? It can be hard seeing anything from the drivers seat. Carboned up rings could be possible. Lots of guys like a quart of Marvel Mystery in the crank case for stuff like this. Not much of a snake oil supporter myself, but Ive seen it do wonders for lifters and stuck valves from short trippin, no warm up's and lots of miles. MMO supposedly dissolves carbon and not just knocks it loose which is generally why I thin these "motor flush" gimmicks are pure snake oil profiteering trash. Think Carbon, its hard like Diamonds, and can score bearings or cylinder walls to the point of no return. At 3 quarts in 1500 miles I cant see it harming things but you might wanna consider the next move engine wise.
I don’t really notice any smoke but I will look into the mmo. Got nothing to lose at this point except oil.
Joshpasley13 is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Does it have a valve cover leak
The 2.4 cover gasket set includes four ring seals one for each spark plug hole

The 2.4 turbo on wife’s PT cruiser has 140k miles and losses very little oil between oil changes


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valve cover gasket has been replaced. Has no leaks at all
Joshpasley13 is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #12
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 48,584
That it's apparently not smoking or leaking makes the oil consumption issue a real mystery for me. Maybe it's smoking and you're just not noticing it? I'd at least try a high-mileage 10W-30 like Mobil Super which is a conventional engine oil with additional cleaning and seal conditioner additives. If you're using synthetic I would switch to a conventional like the Mobil Super. I did that to my BMW 330 and it stopped both its RMS leak and I think some minor smoking too. Some synthetic engine oils can promote additional oil consumption/leaking.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
chevymad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Skamokawa, WA
Posts: 639
A catalytic convertor will burn the oil smoke. At least until it plugs up. So the only time it may actually smoke is when the cat is still cold. A leakdown test will tell you more about the rings then just a a compression test. And like someone else said, check your radiator for oil.
Jerry Bransford likes this.
chevymad is offline   Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:11 AM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That it's apparently not smoking or leaking makes the oil consumption issue a real mystery for me. Maybe it's smoking and you're just not noticing it? I'd at least try a high-mileage 10W-30 like Mobil Super which is a conventional engine oil with additional cleaning and seal conditioner additives. If you're using synthetic I would switch to a conventional like the Mobil Super. I did that to my BMW 330 and it stopped both its RMS leak and I think some minor smoking too. Some synthetic engine oils can promote additional oil consumption/leaking.
Yea it boggles my mind too. I’m using 30 weight oil which is thick and supposed to help with consumption. 😩
Joshpasley13 is offline   Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:12 AM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymad View Post
A catalytic convertor will burn the oil smoke. At least until it plugs up. So the only time it may actually smoke is when the cat is still cold. A leakdown test will tell you more about the rings then just a a compression test. And like someone else said, check your radiator for oil.
The cat is completely hollowed out. So I would expect to see a lot of smoke but don’t really see anything. The radiator is brand new and no oil in it
Joshpasley13 is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:10 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
denniswebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Port Elizabeth South Africa
Posts: 30
Wynn's Charge
denniswebb is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 184
I have used STP with good results on a high mileage engine I add a can or bottle every oil change seems to work good for me

MILOJ is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.