PCV Elbow - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-29-2016, 02:57 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
PCV Elbow

Like and idiot I (for the 2nd time) forgot to unhook what I call my CCV elbow at back of breather when taking it off. The first one I got looked like what was on previously and it was just an elbow, same size at both ends no obstructions. The one I just got in the mail has a closed bottom with a pin hole in it. I was wondering if it made a difference or not. Also ive been having problems with oil getting in air flow tubes and throttle body. Might this pin hole help that by restricting air flow a bit??

thawk4560 is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
DaJeepNotCheap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hilo, HI
Posts: 646
the one with the closed end with pin hole goes on the back of the valve cover, the other one goes to the front. if they're original, probably a good idea to change the grommets while you're at it. careful you don't crack the plastic line going from the rear CCV to the intake manifold.

i too am finding oil in the breather hoses going to the intake manifold. got worse when i installed a t-case drop, causing the engine to tilt back. engine runs fine.

DaJeepNotCheap is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
H8S PVMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 353
where to get the new PCV elbows? I can't find at local auto parts store.
__________________
2002 TJ X
4.0, 4.5" Long Arm lift, FOX 2.0's, Tummy tucked, 35 KM2's, 456's D44 locked out back, Hp30 locked up front, custom bumpers and rock rails..
H8S PVMT is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South of Indy
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8S PVMT View Post
where to get the new PCV elbows? I can't find at local auto parts store.
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-47079-H...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-42...47PASYY82TM2G4

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-47057-H...YNPGMBKQ1PXP34


Advance Auto has them in stock around my area.

Like said. Pin hole elbow is on the rear of engine going to the vacuum line. Front elbow is open and goes to the Air filter breather tube.

You will need two grommets.
alancamby is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:29 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Thanks

Thanks for the help. I had to order mine off of ebay, Chrysler parts house had the open one but not pin hole. And they wanted like 30 bucks. Im not sure whats going on with the oil in everything. Engine only has 30k miles on it runs great so who knows. Seems to be a pretty common thing. Ive heard alot of people saying get a Cool Air intake system to help it but I like staying stock where I can.. May try to swap with a friend for a while see if it helps.
thawk4560 is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:32 AM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
PCV Valve Elbow Grommet Dorman Kit 97 06 Jeep Wrangler TJ Wrangler Cherokee | eBay

I got mine there, 12.95 came with grommet. It is the one with the pin hole even though it pictures the open one i believe.
thawk4560 is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:28 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
DaJeepNotCheap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hilo, HI
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk4560 View Post
Im not sure whats going on with the oil in everything. Engine only has 30k miles on it runs great so who knows. Seems to be a pretty common thing. Ive heard alot of people saying get a Cool Air intake system to help it but I like staying stock where I can.. May try to swap with a friend for a while see if it helps.
definitely not normal. you might have some "blow-by" in the motor. means the valve seats might not be sealing during the compression stroke and letting some of that air through the valve seals, or the compression rings on the piston(s) might be letting air into the crank case and into the head where the push rods run up. check compression in all cylinders to see if they're within spec. i did on my YJ and explained a lot, though it ran "ok". had it pretty bad, 230,xxx miles on it.

not sure what the CAI would do...if anything, be careful of the filter element. some are known to be less restrictive of air flow, which can let more dirt and water through. stock air box setup would be better to stay with.
DaJeepNotCheap is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
H8S PVMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 353
got all 4pcs from Summit yesterday, installed all good, thanks for the info..
__________________
2002 TJ X
4.0, 4.5" Long Arm lift, FOX 2.0's, Tummy tucked, 35 KM2's, 456's D44 locked out back, Hp30 locked up front, custom bumpers and rock rails..
H8S PVMT is offline   Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:53 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJeepNotCheap View Post
definitely not normal. you might have some "blow-by" in the motor. means the valve seats might not be sealing during the compression stroke and letting some of that air through the valve seals, or the compression rings on the piston(s) might be letting air into the crank case and into the head where the push rods run up. check compression in all cylinders to see if they're within spec. i did on my YJ and explained a lot, though it ran "ok". had it pretty bad, 230,xxx miles on it.

not sure what the CAI would do...if anything, be careful of the filter element. some are known to be less restrictive of air flow, which can let more dirt and water through. stock air box setup would be better to stay with.

I have been steered away from the CIA system which I am glad for I prefer to stay as stock as I can in engine bay.

I need to check and see how it is doing with new CCV in there, I did however do a compression test on my engine since I have posted last just to see how that is doing. All 4 cylinders read 120+ which I read is a good thing? I'm not sure on the valve seats, is there a recommended test for that?
thawk4560 is offline   Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:16 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
DaJeepNotCheap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hilo, HI
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk4560 View Post
I did however do a compression test on my engine since I have posted last just to see how that is doing. All 4 cylinders read 120+ which I read is a good thing? I'm not sure on the valve seats, is there a recommended test for that?
as far as compression reads, they should be within a certain range of the recommended specs. i.e. 120 being the base number, +/- 5. not sure what the FSM suggests what the actual numbers are, but hopefully someone can chime in on that for ya.

sorry, i re-read my comment on the valve seats. but the valve seat shouldn't have much to do with your oil in the intake manifold or breather tube, but more so if the valve guides are leaking, because oil would find its way down the intake valve stem/guide, and get blown back into the manifold.

plus, your compression reads would tell you more about the valve seats for each cylinder if anything, as long as the gauge holds a reading and not drop slowly.

the obvious should also point to a loss of power and a bit of smoke, which could spell catastrophic at that point.

there is a way to test the seals on the valve seat, but requires that you take the head off and bring it to a shop to have it done. on a couple occasions i've done this sort of test myself at home.

basically you put the head on the work table and turn the head on its side so the intake/exhaust ports are pointing straight up. then you fill the ports with some sort of fluid and watch for leaking at the valves on the combustion chamber side.

DaJeepNotCheap is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.