Fellow local jeeper and I worked on installing a BDS 2" lift onto my wife's 06 LJ. My wifes jeep does not have very much rust at all, and I sprayed down all the bolts every 3 days or so for two weeks before starting on it.
it went smoothly...NOT
We started by cracking loose all the lug nuts. Jacking up the rear and placing stands onto the frame. Pull of rear wheels
passenger side rear shock lower bolt came right out. Attempted to remove first upper bolt. Snapped...great...
second bolt...rounds off first try...even better
move onto drivers side lower. No problem.
drivers side bolt outside comes right out.
drivers side bolt inside breaks off...F me 3 out of 4
there is so little room up there to work especially the passenger side with the exhaust in the way. We tried to break off the shock to try and get at the rounded off bolt...shock breaks but leaves the "cup" part and the bar pin still attached. Wonderful.
Decide to go to the fronts instead for a while.
front stuff all zipped right off no problem. It helps to remove the lower sway bar bolts to get more flex when removing and installing the springs. Careful of the brake lines being stretched.
Front shocks look like a PITA but there is a simple trick to getting them off. We tried to put vice grips onto the shaft and notching it to keep it from spinning when removing the top nut...total PITA.
Here is the trick. Unbolt the bottom bolts and yank that sucker straight towards you out of the fenderwell. It snaps right off, suprisingly easy. The top portion just falls out. Did that for both sides. Buddy called us with the ip having done multiple lifts this way. Never failed. Go figure
SO after 5 hours Day 1 we have front done, no rear shocks and new rear springs. Wife did not like the bouncy ride home 1 hr.
Day 2... tried drilling out one bolt. Got about 75% done and it just started eating any kind of bit I tried. Total PITA.
tried to center punch the bolt and hoping to break off the tack welded nut on the top side of the frame....nope. Kinda hard to do this sorta work in my 1 car garage on the floor.
pulled inner fender well to try and get to the nuts on top. Chisel + hammer for an hour did nothing but mess up the nut a little.
Magically all 11 body mounts broke free easily. Lifted the body about 4" off the frame for more room. More Hammer + chisel...nothing.
Tried putting vice grips on the top part of the nut...nothing
Rented a demolition hammer from Home depot...nothing
not much room for a grinder and the gas tank was inches away.
I hear everyone having luck with the chisel method. Her jeep must of had a overzealous welder that day.
Unless you have a full shop with a lift to do this...DONT.
whoever designed this setup should be
probably had a desk next to the
who designed the OPDA
Rant over...dropped it off at the shop down the street. Let them deal with it.