Rough first gear after Zone combo lift - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Biglen718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 136
Rough first gear after Zone combo lift

First off sorry for all the recent questions about the new lift, it's my first lifted vehicle. Since the lift and 33s have been put on I've been experiencing bucking coming out of first gear. It doesn't do it all the time but sometimes when I'm pulling off from a stoplight it shakes like crazy and sounds like it's about to stall (similar to someone driving stick for the first time). The strange thing is it never did it prior to the lift. Any help would be appreciated

Biglen718 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
Mostly old school..!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Now searching for rocks in Sumner, TX
Posts: 12,149
Chances are good that it has a weak or separated transmission mount. If you want to test that out, find straight section of road or a large empty parking lot where you can go straight and not have to make any turns. Put the jeep in 4wd high and start out straight as you normally do. If it drives without the shudder you are experiencing when taking off in 2wd, replace the transmission mount...about $30 at napa. Don't make any turns while in 4wd on asphalt and only do it as long as it takes to test it.

__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 116
How is your pinion angle after the lift?
oceanjake is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Biglen718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
Chances are good that it has a weak or separated transmission mount. If you want to test that out, find straight section of road or a large empty parking lot where you can go straight and not have to make any turns. Put the jeep in 4wd high and start out straight as you normally do. If it drives without the shudder you are experiencing when taking off in 2wd, replace the transmission mount...about $30 at napa. Don't make any turns while in 4wd on asphalt and only do it as long as it takes to test it.
Thank you! I'll try it tonight and report back.
Biglen718 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Biglen718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
How is your pinion angle after the lift?
I'm assuming it's good cause the reason for doing the Zone lift was to avoid any drivetrain issues. It's fine in every other gear, just acts up sometimes in first.
Biglen718 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
Mostly old school..!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Now searching for rocks in Sumner, TX
Posts: 12,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
How is your pinion angle after the lift?
The pinion angle would be fine after installing a zone combo lift. The motor mount lift and rise in suspension would maintain the correct pinion angle for the stock drive shaft.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:18 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Biglen718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 136
Well I did what you said and put it in 4 high at a complete stop and then accelerated as I would normally do, sure as shit it didn't make a sound and drove complety normal. I'll be replacing the mount soon. Thank you for the help!
Biglen718 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 8,397
Try loosening your tranny mount nuts on your skid plate and let the tranny slide to where it wants to naturally be in the bolt slots. Then re-tighten the nuts.
__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ - I4 PowerTech motor
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
F8.8/Artec Rear
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:30 PM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Biglen718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 136
Not sure if it's related but before the lift I noticed clicking sounds while driving, more noticeable under 40 but increasing the faster you drive (still does it). Other forum members suggested rebuilding the front drive shaft which I will be doing in the next week or so, does anyone think it could be related or just seperate issues?
Biglen718 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:47 PM   #10
Mostly old school..!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Now searching for rocks in Sumner, TX
Posts: 12,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglen718 View Post
Not sure if it's related but before the lift I noticed clicking sounds while driving, more noticeable under 40 but increasing the faster you drive (still does it). Other forum members suggested rebuilding the front drive shaft which I will be doing in the next week or so, does anyone think it could be related or just seperate issues?
Hard to say, but before replacing your transmission mount (if you didn't loosen the mount nuts when you installed the mml), try doing as dextreme suggested and loosen all the tranny mount nuts at once, then retorque them and see if that might take care of it.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:08 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Biglen718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
Hard to say, but before replacing your transmission mount (if you didn't loosen the mount nuts when you installed the mml), try doing as dextreme suggested and loosen all the tranny mount nuts at once, then retorque them and see if that might take care of it.
I will try what you guys mentioned about loosen and tighten the tranny nuts this week but I also just noticed something today that might help you guys pinpoint the issue further, I was making a u turn in the middle of my street and the jeep shook like crazy more so then just coming outta first. Again thanks for all the help so far it is greatly appreciated! If it weren't for this forum and its members I'd be at the mercy of the shady mechanics in my area lol
Biglen718 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Biglen718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 136
Also when replacing the mount is it worth spending the extra money on a polyurethane one?
Biglen718 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
Mostly old school..!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Now searching for rocks in Sumner, TX
Posts: 12,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglen718 View Post
Also when replacing the mount is it worth spending the extra money on a polyurethane one?
No, use the stock rubber mount, it will transmit less vibration than poly.

__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.