Soft top compatible? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Soft top compatible?

My 99's top is in need of replacement, will an 03's fit? It's become obvious this won't be a snap on job but can I get brackets to make the swap or is this downright out of the question?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
TJ4Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brookings, Oregon
Posts: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizGhai View Post
My 99's top is in need of replacement, will an 03's fit? It's become obvious this won't be a snap on job but can I get brackets to make the swap or is this downright out of the question?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The 97 to 06 soft tops should all be compatable. Go to any of the online sites and you will see the tops are all listed to fit 97 to 06 TJ's.

What brackets are you referring to.

__________________
1999 Wrangler Chili Pepper Red

If you come to a fork in the road take it.
TJ4Jim is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4Jim View Post
The 97 to 06 soft tops should all be compatable. Go to any of the online sites and you will see the tops are all listed to fit 97 to 06 TJ's.

What brackets are you referring to.
The frame on the tops are totally different and the 99 soft top has a flap where it flips into the windshield bar while the 03 is screwed. The 03 also has two separated bars w/ straps holding them together and looks like it gets attached to the body in different locations while the 99's bars are held and slide together.





Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Quick update, turns out I have a Bestop Supertop. Came with the jeep at purchase. I am looking to install a never used, factory issue top and frame from an 03. Still sifting through videos and forums

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Bow Brackets?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizGhai View Post
Bow Brackets?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Check eBay for those.
Bad Cornflakes is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:12 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: N.E. Alabama
Posts: 787
Just for you info and it may help, I have a 97 that had a factory top. I have a 00 that had a best top super top. I swapped them. I had to swap everything, top and hardware, but everything fit great. now my 97 has a best top and my 00 has the factory top. maybe this will help
trickydoc is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 75
I think you will be a lot happier with the 03 factory top than the supertop that's on there now. On my 98 I went from the supertop that came with it to an 04 sailcloth top. You'll need door surrounds, the brackets that bolt to the back side of the roll bar, the tailgate bar and brackets, the frame, and actual top of course. It took me a couple tries to figure out all the hardware I needed, but it was well worth it.
kcmudbug is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmudbug View Post
I think you will be a lot happier with the 03 factory top than the supertop that's on there now. On my 98 I went from the supertop that came with it to an 04 sailcloth top. You'll need door surrounds, the brackets that bolt to the back side of the roll bar, the tailgate bar and brackets, the frame, and actual top of course. It took me a couple tries to figure out all the hardware I needed, but it was well worth it.
Would you mind sending me a list if possible of Hardware you found? Where was the cheapest you found the set, was it like Amazon or Ebay? Perhaps some local automotive shop will have some of the hardware. I think I will only need the roll bar brackets and rear window bar as well as all of the screws necessary. Maybe RockAuto has some good stuff?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 75
I wouldn't know where to begin to try to buy that stuff new unless you went to a bestop supertop nx. It comes with all the factory style hardware from my understanding, but they are big $$$. I bought all of my parts on craigslist and ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmudbug View Post
You'll need door surrounds, the brackets that bolt to the back side of the roll bar, the tailgate bar and brackets, the frame, and actual top of course.
kcmudbug is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: N.E. Alabama
Posts: 787
I do not like the best top, the fabric is fine, I just don't like the way the top fits around full hard doors. I like the door surrounds that comes with the factory top. that is the reason I swapped tops on my jeeps. I use full doors on the 00 and half doors on the 97. you can pick up the factory hardware on craigs list. I have seen surrounds for 75 to 100 bucks. you may try salvage yards around you for some.
trickydoc is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydoc View Post
I do not like the best top, the fabric is fine, I just don't like the way the top fits around full hard doors. I like the door surrounds that comes with the factory top. that is the reason I swapped tops on my jeeps. I use full doors on the 00 and half doors on the 97. you can pick up the factory hardware on craigs list. I have seen surrounds for 75 to 100 bucks. you may try salvage yards around you for some.
I'm with you if you're talking about the old supertop. I hated the old one like the one pictured in this thread. The new supertop NX is redesigned. I've never had one so I don't know for sure, but I think it's basically a factory sailcloth sunrider top.

I hope it's ok to link to one of our vendors... Here's most of the hardware in a kit. It's missing the roll bar brackets.
Bestop Wrangler Door Surround Kit 55012-01 (97-06 Wrangler TJ) - Free Shipping
kcmudbug is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
All great info, thank y'all so much. The photos I posted are from my Jeep with the Bestop. I went ahead and got the sailcloth top, which comes with door/top frames and fabric but no bolts or rollbar(bow) brackets

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Ok, new questions. Do I need the new hardware to fit the new top? Or the old hardware to fit the year jeep?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: N.E. Alabama
Posts: 787
Your top should be for the hardware that is on your jeep. best top hardware=best top
oem hardware=oem style top. is this what you are asking? When I bought my replacement, I got a Smittybuilt oem style replacement top that fit my oem style hardware.
trickydoc is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
I got an '03 factory Sailcloth but it didn't come with the brackets or bolts, so Im not sure if I need newer brackets or ones that were factory on a '99

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizGhai View Post
I got an '03 factory Sailcloth but it didn't come with the brackets or bolts, so Im not sure if I need newer brackets or ones that were factory on a '99

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I used the roll bar brackets that were for my 98. The 03 roll bar is larger in diameter and the brackets didn't seem right. I also used the 98 style tailgate bar. I'm not sure that there is a difference in the door surrounds.
kcmudbug is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Thread Starter
  #18
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmudbug View Post
I used the roll bar brackets that were for my 98. The 03 roll bar is larger in diameter and the brackets didn't seem right. I also used the 98 style tailgate bar. I'm not sure that there is a difference in the door surrounds.
I don't understand, did you have to change parts? You said the newer top was larger in diameter, did you mean the bolts or something else being larger?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmudbug View Post
The 03 roll bar is larger in diameter and the brackets didn't seem right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizGhai View Post
I don't understand, did you have to change parts? You said the newer top was larger in diameter, did you mean the bolts or something else being larger?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The roll bar - specifically the main hoop is larger, not the top.
kcmudbug is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Thread Starter
  #20
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmudbug View Post
The roll bar - specifically the main hoop is larger, not the top.
Hm, tbh I'm not any less confused than before?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:43 AM
Thread Starter
  #21
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Oh! So should I get the '99 brackets to fit my smaller diameter roll bar? Sounds like what needs to be done

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizGhai View Post
Oh! So should I get the '99 brackets to fit my smaller diameter roll bar? Sounds like what needs to be done

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Yes. Buy the brackets to fit your jeep and mount the frame / top from the 03 to those brackets.
kcmudbug is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:02 PM
Thread Starter
  #23
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmudbug View Post
Yes. Buy the brackets to fit your jeep and mount the frame / top from the 03 to those brackets.
Wunderbah

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: N.E. Alabama
Posts: 787
larger roll bar? is one padded and the other not? me seem confused!!!!!
trickydoc is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Thread Starter
  #25
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydoc View Post
larger roll bar? is one padded and the other not? me seem confused!!!!!
The older style TJ seems to have a smaller diameter roll bar


Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizGhai View Post
The older style TJ seems to have a smaller diameter roll bar
^^^^Nailed it!
kcmudbug is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydoc View Post
larger roll bar? is one padded and the other not? me seem confused!!!!!
The metal tubing is a larger diameter on the 03 and newer jeeps.
kcmudbug is offline   Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 6,886
No the roll bars are the same diameter. The padding on 03+ is thicker.

Any frame 97-06 will fit any year. I have a 03 with 01 frame and 04 fabric.

The 01 frame is a tiny bit larger than a 03. That difference has to do with the roll bar brackets. 03+ brackets extend a little further towards the rear so the frame mount holes clear the thicker fabric. 03 frame mount is a little further towards the rear so the frame is a little smaller. The 01 frame on my 03 does not tuck down into the tub in the rear. It sits on top of the tub.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Thread Starter
  #29
Jeeper
 
DizGhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rockville
Posts: 44
Still need to know, should I be getting the '99 Jeep frame brackets, or the '03 soft top brackets? Or does it not even matter. .???

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DizGhai is offline   Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 6,886
Does not matter. If you can get 03 get them. Like I said there is a small difference in the size

__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.