Starting issues? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
RedWagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 371
Starting issues?

My 99 tj 4.0 5 speed has been acting weird lately, a few weeks ago i went to start it up in the morning ( was not a cold morning ) and i ended up having to crank a couple times to get it started. The problem has started to occur more often lately and is getting worse, this morning i cranked it 4 times then it started but was at very low rpms ( around 300-500 ) until i patted the gas, so i sat there a minute and turned it off, then i tried again and it started perfectly on the first crank. What is causing this? Starter going bad? Low compression? Thanks in advance

RedWagon is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,976
Probably fuel pump / regulator / check valve unit in gas tank

To make sure try cycling key on off four times with 3-5 seconds on each time before start attempt, to get several fuel pump priming runs if that makes it start quick then that is the prob

Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
cjdarryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Any advise on the best fuel pump
cjdarryl is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWagon View Post
My 99 tj 4.0 5 speed has been acting weird lately, a few weeks ago i went to start it up in the morning ( was not a cold morning ) and i ended up having to crank a couple times to get it started. The problem has started to occur more often lately and is getting worse, this morning i cranked it 4 times then it started but was at very low rpms ( around 300-500 ) until i patted the gas, so i sat there a minute and turned it off, then i tried again and it started perfectly on the first crank. What is causing this? Starter going bad? Low compression? Thanks in advance
I have a 98 TJ 4.0 manual and I am having the same problem. I posted about it and everyone has told me its an electrical problem. To check the alternator, ignition switch, and battery terminals for corrosion.
LittleLadyVal is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:30 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
RedWagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Probably fuel pump / regulator / check valve unit in gas tank To make sure try cycling key on off four times with 3-5 seconds on each time before start attempt, to get several fuel pump priming runs if that makes it start quick then that is the prob
This works perfect, i do this or i turn the hey to the accessories position for about 5 seconds then start about every time i start it and i haven't had a problem in a while
RedWagon is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
This is the same vehicle? Different symptoms than your other post.
86skl is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:43 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
RedWagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86skl View Post
This is the same vehicle? Different symptoms than your other post.
Yes
RedWagon is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11
Any help would be much appreciated for the below issue with my 97 TJ 2.5L. 154K miles on it.

It wouldn't start, but when I remove the battery lead and fix it back it starts.
Now when I leave it off for 5 mins and try to start, it wouldn't start. Doesn't even crank
All the lights work as BAU. No check engine light either...
GeoKing is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,976
Possibilities

Battery cable damaged where it goes into lead clamp for battery examine and replace if damaged

Broken actuator pin in ignition switch
Try jumping plus 12 volts to small terminal on starter solenoid attached to starter and see if that makes it crank

Failing starter try taping it gently with a hammer but don't dent or crack it
Remove and have it tested
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Possibilities

Battery cable damaged where it goes into lead clamp for battery examine and replace if damaged

Broken actuator pin in ignition switch
Try jumping plus 12 volts to small terminal on starter solenoid attached to starter and see if that makes it crank

Failing starter try taping it gently with a hammer but don't dent or crack it
Remove and have it tested
Thanks for the reply.
But if I undo the terminal and re-connect it , the engine starts. That means the cable should be good. right?
I'm thinking one of the sensors... maybe crank position sensor or the computer itself.
When I unplug the power it's like resetting the whole system, and it starts immediately... maybe I'm wrong.

I'll try the other two options in the morning.
Thanks
GeoKing is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,976
Nope but if you already know why ask

First the cable connection can be damaged and intermittent

Next you got to take a systematic approach or just waste money throwing parts at it

But if you think my ideas are not worth working thru that is fine and best of luck to you

Just remember temporal relationship is not proof of causation
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Nope but if you already know why ask

First the cable connection can be damaged and intermittent

Next you got to take a systematic approach or just waste money throwing parts at it

But if you think my ideas are not worth working thru that is fine and best of luck to you

Just remember temporal relationship is not proof of causation
I think it's miss-understanding. I just ruled out the 1st option, because the jeep starts when I disconnect and connect the cable.
I'll try the other 2 options in the morning.
Sorry, if I didn't explain myself clearly.
GeoKing is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,976
Ok but if the wires inside the cable are damaged where they go into the lead clamp end moving the cable end around like when you disconnect and reconnect it to the battery can make it temporarily work or temporarily not work as is the nature of an intermittent connection so a visual inspection of the cable end where it enters the lead clamp and is often corroded from exposure to battery acid costs nothing takes seconds and is worth looking at

It sure caused an intermittent start condition on my wife's 2004 turbo PT cruiser and jiggling the cable did get it to start again a time or two before I saw what was happening
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Ok but if the wires inside the cable are damaged where they go into the lead clamp end moving the cable end around like when you disconnect and reconnect it to the battery can make it temporarily work or temporarily not work as is the nature of an intermittent connection so a visual inspection of the cable end where it enters the lead clamp and is often corroded from exposure to battery acid costs nothing takes seconds and is worth looking at

It sure caused an intermittent start condition on my wife's 2004 turbo PT cruiser and jiggling the cable did get it to start again a time or two before I saw what was happening
Ok, I just checked the battery wire and looks intact.. I'm even getting 12 v power from the ignition switch (yellow wire going to starter)... but the starter wouldn't crank. Again, to make sure, I removed the battery cable and fixed it back the jeep starts...but after couple of mins if I try to restart it doesn't crank. could it be a bad ground?

Also, one other test when I removed the ignition switch and tried to give power to the yellow wire going to the starter ..it cranked... hmm.. now I'm confused.. power is going to starter when the ignition switch is hooked and it doesn't start, but when pulled out from the key cylinder and if power is given to the yellow wire it works.....
GeoKing is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,976
Is the actuator pin in the ignition switch broken?

If you are concerned about quality of a ground make sure clean and tight and if still in doubt run a temp ground from battery negative post to ground engine

Just to be sure what happens if you jump 12 volts to starter solenoid small terminal?
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,976
Also in circuit with key start function and starter there is a park neutral switch on auto and clutch switch on standard

However touching plus 12 to small terminal on starter bypasses all of that
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11
The actuator pin is not broken, it looks ok to me. yes, I need to check the ground.
When I jump at the Starter, the jeep starts. no issue there.

I even by-passed the Clutch sensor. still same issue..
But, if there are issues with the sensor won't the computer throw an error code?
Nada error code so far...

GeoKing is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,976
No clutch switch would not make error code

It has a bypass in owners manual that in loves either adding or removing a fuse depending on year of tj

If starter spins wit 12 volts to SMALL terminal (all you said was jump) then starter and batter and main power and ground to starter are fine ( if you jumped other then to small terminal like I said starter is still suspect)

That leaves key switch and its circuit
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
jbotelho15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 263
you know this happened to me the other day and after so many tries i noticed my trailer hitch plug (po put it i never use it) started to smoke and smell i cut it off and never had a problem again. I doubt this is your issue but its just to show it could be an electrical problem with any auxiliary wiring you might have
__________________
04' Jeep Wrangler with Auto & Dana 44
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11
Thanks for the feedback everybody.
I gave up and requested my friend who's pretty much handy with cars. He said the battery connection is the culprit...

He undid all the wires on the battery and the ground and used emery/sand paper and cleared of all the rust... and when fixed back, it worked.

Just keeping my fingers crossed....

Thanks again.



GeoKing is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.