TJ Stretch Question - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
TJ Stretch Question

For those of you that have stretched the rear end of your TJ, has anyone used regular coil springs, or did everyone go coil over/ORI struts? going to be running a 14 bolt, stretched about 4-5 in. on 40s

__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Thread Starter
  #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Bump

__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
tworley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 4,660
Try jeepforum. A few members there have done the stretch.

Or pirate..
__________________
97' 4.0L - AX-15 - 4.56 D30/Rubi44 - Currie 4" SL -1.25" BL - 1" MML - 35s - XRC Rear Bumper/Carrier - JB SSYE - MC F/R CAs - MC F/R TBs - Currie Currectlync - Currie AR - Savvy GTS - Savvy UA - Savvy Shift Cable - ARB RD100/116 - RG&A 4340 Axle Shafts - Currie Mini Skids - Superwinch LP8500 - Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers - Poison Spyder Defender XCs - BMB Brakes - Fox 12" Resi 2.0 Shocks -
Colorado Jeep
tworley is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 8,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworley View Post
Try jeepforum. A few members there have done the stretch.

Or pirate..
Yeah, I haven't seen many members on here do that modification, so they probably won't have first hand "personal experience" advice. The Pirate4x4 forum would be your best bet for info.
__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ - I4 PowerTech motor
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
F8.8/Artec Rear
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Yeah, kinda what I figured, but worth the shot. I know there's a few people that build their Jeeps up.
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 78
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170118_175313.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	3416730

Fenders need cutting, working on links, and not even sitting on all its weight but stretched on coils
offroadman83 is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:14 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
i knew there was at least 1 out there, we actually spoke a bit last night of "Jeeps on Tons"
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadman83 View Post
Attachment 3416730

Fenders need cutting, working on links, and not even sitting on all its weight but stretched on coils
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
I would be interested in seeing other pictures of your setup tho
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 78
I figured that was you. I'll be getting more pics soon though.
offroadman83 is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Thanks man
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1
My TJ is stretched 5" in the rear on standard coil springs. There are several vendors that have upper perches available to replace the stock ones.
the1mavin is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:05 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1mavin View Post
My TJ is stretched 5" in the rear on standard coil springs. There are several vendors that have upper perches available to replace the stock ones.
Id love to see some pictures of your read end, what size springs are you running back and front, tire size, axles?
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 78
Well it came out longer than I wanted and higher than I wanted. Gonna stick some stock rear tjs on it and see if I can level it out. Oh and fenders were cut after these pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170120_112549.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	3419522



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170120_112532.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	3419514
offroadman83 is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
nyglt567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 118
Why not go coilovers. It's almost more of a hassle to get coil spring perches to work well when everything is stretched vs just notching a frame and throwing some shock towers in there.

Not to mention you can alter ride height/travel by placing the perches on different places like you would on a stretched application.

If it's a money thing... Stretching isn't really cheap to begin with I feel.

And coilovers are great.
__________________
SAS CRD WK (Daily)
Low Rider TJ on 40s
nyglt567 is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyglt567 View Post
Why not go coilovers. It's almost more of a hassle to get coil spring perches to work well when everything is stretched vs just notching a frame and throwing some shock towers in there.

Not to mention you can alter ride height/travel by placing the perches on different places like you would on a stretched application.

If it's a money thing... Stretching isn't really cheap to begin with I feel.

And coilovers are great.
It is a money thing...........coilovers are extremely expensive and lots of tuning to work right. My coils are free and I am picking up some stock tj rears to try soon. I will probably try to save up here later for some but right now its just not possible. It has taken me way more than I care to admit to get to this point.
offroadman83 is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyglt567 View Post
Why not go coilovers. It's almost more of a hassle to get coil spring perches to work well when everything is stretched vs just notching a frame and throwing some shock towers in there.

Not to mention you can alter ride height/travel by placing the perches on different places like you would on a stretched application.

If it's a money thing... Stretching isn't really cheap to begin with I feel.

And coilovers are great.
Yeah, when your dropping $8-10,000 into the stretch, being able to achieve a fairly similar result and save $2500 is huge. I can buy an Atlas with that money saved, and down the road if i choose to go coil overs i still have the option.
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 78
Yeah I'm at a point where I gotta try cheap til I can replenish money. From there I gotta figure out hydro assist or maybe just full hydro, lockers, gears, driveshafts...and it goes on. I am a firefighter so not a big money earning guy.
offroadman83 is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
nyglt567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoechase View Post

Yeah, when your dropping $8-10,000 into the stretch, being able to achieve a fairly similar result and save $2500 is huge. I can buy an Atlas with that money saved, and down the road if i choose to go coil overs i still have the option.
Im not sure how you ended up with a 8-10k stretch but I really hope it works amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadman83 View Post
Yeah I'm at a point where I gotta try cheap til I can replenish money. From there I gotta figure out hydro assist or maybe just full hydro, lockers, gears, driveshafts...and it goes on. I am a firefighter so not a big money earning guy.
I'm an infantry man, I know your pain. I'm not sure how skilled you are with fabrication etc. But you'll end up saving alot if you can cut and weld.

Coilovers arent as expensive as they may seem either. I think I paid 1500 for my set of kings with coils. You'd be surprised at what you can find if you shop around.

And I saved myself a headache of finding the sweet spot in mounting the coil buckets on to the new locations...Adjusting height, altering spring rates, and finding the correct travel. It can be done though. Just difficult to get it spot on I feel.

Just food for thought. Either way, good luck and thanks for your civil service. :thumbsup:
__________________
SAS CRD WK (Daily)
Low Rider TJ on 40s
nyglt567 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyglt567 View Post
Im not sure how you ended up with a 8-10k stretch but I really hope it works amazing.



I'm an infantry man, I know your pain. I'm not sure how skilled you are with fabrication etc. But you'll end up saving alot if you can cut and weld.

Coilovers arent as expensive as they may seem either. I think I paid 1500 for my set of kings with coils. You'd be surprised at what you can find if you shop around.

And I saved myself a headache of finding the sweet spot in mounting the coil buckets on to the new locations...Adjusting height, altering spring rates, and finding the correct travel. It can be done though. Just difficult to get it spot on I feel.

Just food for thought. Either way, good luck and thanks for your civil service. :thumbsup:
Adds up real quick.3 link front 4 link rear, 1 ton axle swap, gears lockers, truss swap kits, shave kit, disc brake conversion, new drive lines, new transfer case, stretch corners, new tires and wheels, hydro assist, fuel cell alone is $1000. Do the math
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Thread Starter
  #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Certainly not building a skyjacker long arm kit
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
nyglt567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoechase View Post

Adds up real quick.3 link front 4 link rear, 1 ton axle swap, gears lockers, truss swap kits, shave kit, disc brake conversion, new drive lines, new transfer case, stretch corners, new tires and wheels, hydro assist, fuel cell alone is $1000. Do the math
If we're talking stretch alone, which is what I thought we were talking. Suspension alone. It will not be that much. Sure everything else outside of stretching adds up. But stretching can be cost effective if you know how to do it/know what you're doing.

Only things that really matter based on stretching would be driveline/tank/steering. Tire size, axles, lockers, tcases, that's all irrelevant at that point as that would be total cost of build and will be different for everyone, not a side effect of moving your axles further apart from each other. You can argue that tire size is cause for stretching but you still wouldn't reach 8-10k. Maybe if I'm having a shop do it for me.

And I'll do a cost out. For my 100" WB stretch. Just for fun.

-Coilovers -1500
-YJ corners (cut out with MC flares stretched/pulled stitch welded) -200
-Parts Mike stretched arms/and ends (custom length with MC bushings - $800
-Extended drive line -150
-Extra metal used to build trusses and new control arm mounts -200.

Just under 3k. And it works well with 40s. I was able to go around a FC because I didn't want fumes in my Jeep (because it is a daily) so I cut the rokmen skid and molded the tank. Saving a grand.

Without COs it would be half the cost.
__________________
SAS CRD WK (Daily)
Low Rider TJ on 40s
nyglt567 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:10 PM
Thread Starter
  #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyglt567 View Post
If we're talking stretch alone, which is what I thought we were talking. Suspension alone. It will not be that much. Sure everything else outside of stretching adds up. But stretching can be cost effective if you know how to do it/know what you're doing.

Only things that really matter based on stretching would be driveline/tank/steering. Tire size, axles, lockers, tcases, that's all irrelevant at that point as that would be total cost of build and will be different for everyone, not a side effect of moving your axles further apart from each other. You can argue that tire size is cause for stretching but you still wouldn't reach 8-10k. Maybe if I'm having a shop do it for me.

And I'll do a cost out. For my 100" WB stretch. Just for fun.

-Coilovers -1500
-YJ corners (cut out with MC flares stretched/pulled stitch welded) -200
-Parts Mike stretched arms/and ends (custom length with MC bushings - $800
-Extended drive line -150
-Extra metal used to build trusses and new control arm mounts -200.

Just under 3k. And it works well with 40s. I was able to go around a FC because I didn't want fumes in my Jeep (because it is a daily) so I cut the rokmen skid and molded the tank. Saving a grand.

Without COs it would be half the cost.
and thats fine if thats all you want done to your jeep, guess i should have specified that im building the entire Jeep not just stretching the rear end. and it would be silly to stretch a Jeep sitting on a stock D30/35. especially to run 40s
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
nyglt567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoechase View Post

and thats fine if thats all you want done to your jeep, guess i should have specified that im building the entire Jeep not just stretching the rear end. and it would be silly to stretch a Jeep sitting on a stock D30/35. especially to run 40s
Yeah of course it would be. But like I said, we're just talking about the suspension/stretch components. Which is what I believe the OP is on right now. I didn't end up stretching untill I had 12k in my Jeep already.

I also forgot to mention air bumps and shock tower brackets. Both total around 600.
__________________
SAS CRD WK (Daily)
Low Rider TJ on 40s
nyglt567 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
nyglt567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyglt567 View Post

Yeah of course it would be. But like I said, we're just talking about the suspension/stretch components. Which is what I believe the OP is on right now. I didn't end up stretching untill I had 12k in my Jeep already.

I also forgot to mention air bumps and shock tower brackets. Both total around 600.
The stage that the OP is building at this point is what I mean. Apparently you cannot edit posts afterwards on mobile.
__________________
SAS CRD WK (Daily)
Low Rider TJ on 40s
nyglt567 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Thread Starter
  #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyglt567 View Post
The stage that the OP is building at this point is what I mean. Apparently you cannot edit posts afterwards on mobile.
I am the OP, and yes you can stretch just the rear end for a couple grand
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:39 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,524
I stuck with separate coils and shocks. The goal, as it looks like you've found out the hard way, is keeping the upper coil mount/seat as high as possible so that you're not forced higher by the same length coil.

I built my entire rear frame around the goal of raising the coil mount as high as possible so that I can sit lower while running longer springs. My coil mounts are about 1/2" below the tub floor and doing it was not easy, fun or quick. But I did it myself, it works and works well, and gave me exactly what I desired.

If you can't achieve that, go with coilovers. Having an otherwise capable vehicle that's handicapped by little coils and the associated lack of travel that goes with them doesn't make much sense. I'm running Currie/Savvy 3" coils and they gave me approx. 2" over stock due to the higher upper coil mount. Additionally, my lower coil mounts hug the axle tube. I applied the same methodology up front. Being able to run 12" travel shocks on a low rig, split 50/50 travel and not unseating the coils is very nice.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Thread Starter
  #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Got any pictures?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I stuck with separate coils and shocks. The goal, as it looks like you've found out the hard way, is keeping the upper coil mount/seat as high as possible so that you're not forced higher by the same length coil.

I built my entire rear frame around the goal of raising the coil mount as high as possible so that I can sit lower while running longer springs. My coil mounts are about 1/2" below the tub floor and doing it was not easy, fun or quick. But I did it myself, it works and works well, and gave me exactly what I desired.

If you can't achieve that, go with coilovers. Having an otherwise capable vehicle that's handicapped by little coils and the associated lack of travel that goes with them doesn't make much sense. I'm running Currie/Savvy 3" coils and they gave me approx. 2" over stock due to the higher upper coil mount. Additionally, my lower coil mounts hug the axle tube. I applied the same methodology up front. Being able to run 12" travel shocks on a low rig, split 50/50 travel and not unseating the coils is very nice.
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
nyglt567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoechase View Post
Got any pictures?
His build is on JF. Very detailed stuff in there. Imped will have to let you know the page number and build name though.
__________________
SAS CRD WK (Daily)
Low Rider TJ on 40s
nyglt567 is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Thread Starter
  #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyglt567 View Post
His build is on JF. Very detailed stuff in there. Imped will have to let you know the page number and build name though.
sweet, thanks
__________________
My 98 TJ Build

Lockers before Light Bars
tahoechase is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:59 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 78
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170125_215808.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	3427762

This guy's running rear stock tj coils. ..looks pretty good to me for my rig anyhow. That's what I'll be switching too in a few days.

offroadman83 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.