Weird Loud Noises??? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Harris4627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benbrook
Posts: 76
Thumbs down Weird Loud Noises???

SO I'M HAVING SOME ISSUES, AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START... ANYTHING OVER ABOUT 25 MPH, WHENEVER I HIT MY BRAKES, IT SOUNDS LIKE MY TIRES MAKE A REALLY WEIRD SOUND AND VIBRATION... IT DOESN'T HAPPEN ON ACCELERATION, OR DECELERATION, JUST WHEN I HIT MY BRAKES AT SPEEDS OVER ABOUT 25. I'M STUMPED. ANY IDEAS?

__________________
TEXAS PROUD!
Harris4627 is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Thread Starter
  #2
Jeeper
 
Harris4627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benbrook
Posts: 76
Its almost sounds as if my tires are out of balance, but they aren't. And lately it has seemed that my tires have gotten louder on the highway. I'm running 35" bfg km2's.

__________________
TEXAS PROUD!
Harris4627 is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,110
Ummmmm regular tire noise!
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
DarrenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 186
Send a message via Skype™ to DarrenT
Warped disc(s) on the front?
Take out your pads and check for even wear. My Land Rover Discovery was a bugger for it, and you wouldn't notice until breaking from over 30mph. That and I wore the pads right down to steel....
I'd definitely check the brakes for issues.
DarrenT is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Harris4627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benbrook
Posts: 76
Awesome i'll do it tonight! Thanks. I'll post an update when i check!
__________________
TEXAS PROUD!
Harris4627 is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
MFsoftball22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenT View Post
Warped disc(s) on the front?
Take out your pads and check for even wear. My Land Rover Discovery was a bugger for it, and you wouldn't notice until breaking from over 30mph. That and I wore the pads right down to steel....
I'd definitely check the brakes for issues.
X2 I would start here also. Def sounds like a warped rotor.
MFsoftball22 is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Harris4627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benbrook
Posts: 76
Well I got home last night and pulled the front tires off and the drivers side rotor was nice and smooth, but the passenger rotor on the back side was grooved... Small grooves, but all across the rotor, from center to outside. So I am assuming that's my issue?? I really don't have an idea. Any suggestions? Needless to say, I'm in the wife's Fiat Abarth today , because I didn't want to F anything up on the jeep any more than it already is until I get this fixed. Any response would be appreciated... Thanks!
__________________
TEXAS PROUD!
Harris4627 is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Founder, ThumbJeeps

WF Supporting Member
 
Chris Larabell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan/Thumb
Posts: 4,062
mud/rocks trapped in the brakes maybe??? Everytime I go out wheeling it takes quite awhile to get it cleaned. I even went as far as removing my dust shields off the back of the brakes because they kept trapping rocks in my brakes. Much easier to clean, just not as much protection for the rotors. In my opinion, I'd rather have a rock hit my rotor then to have a rock get trapped between the shield and my rotor and cause it to groove.
__________________
-Chris
Founder, ThumbJeeps. Mayville, Michigan
"roads are boring"


1994 Wrangler YJ I6 4.0 H/O Auto 3 spd. 3:55 Gears
Chris Larabell is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
DarrenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 186
Send a message via Skype™ to DarrenT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4627 View Post
Well I got home last night and pulled the front tires off and the drivers side rotor was nice and smooth, but the passenger rotor on the back side was grooved... Small grooves, but all across the rotor, from center to outside. So I am assuming that's my issue?? I really don't have an idea. Any suggestions? Needless to say, I'm in the wife's Fiat Abarth today , because I didn't want to F anything up on the jeep any more than it already is until I get this fixed. Any response would be appreciated... Thanks!
For the price of new rotors and pads, I'd just swap them out.
Sounds like some crud got stuck in the caliper and damaged the disc, the vibrations could be the damaged disc/pads reverberating.
Brakes are one part of my vehicles I don't mind being over cautious about, if in doubt swap em out! They're cheap enough!
DarrenT is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Harris4627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benbrook
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenT View Post
For the price of new rotors and pads, I'd just swap them out.
Sounds like some crud got stuck in the caliper and damaged the disc, the vibrations could be the damaged disc/pads reverberating.
Brakes are one part of my vehicles I don't mind being over cautious about, if in doubt swap em out! They're cheap enough!
Right on man, that's kinda what I was thinking. I figure while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and but the slotted rotors and good pads on there. And I never though about removing the dust shield... That's not a bad idea.
__________________
TEXAS PROUD!
Harris4627 is offline   Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Harris4627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benbrook
Posts: 76
Well, problem solved. Thanks for the help guys! Changed my brakes, and went to get new wheels put on last night. When they took the tires off they rotated them for me as well, and between the new brakes and the tire rotation, we're back to normal! Definitely appreciate all the help and input!

__________________
TEXAS PROUD!
Harris4627 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.