Windshield frame rust prevention ideas - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Ohio_Jeep_Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 480
Windshield frame rust prevention ideas

The windshield frame on my 05 is completely shot despite the Jeep being almost rust free. So while here in Florida on vacation I located a rust free replacement. Lucky me it's even red & has good glass.

Now...What should I do to prevent future rust? I searched the web but didn't see many preventative ideas despite the mass amounts of windshield frame replacement threads.

I'm thinking maybe drilling some small holes along the inside lower edge and spraying Fluid Film inside the frame. Not sure if I should leave the holes open to help dry up any future moisture or plug the holes?

Any advice?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield frame rust.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	3446530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5645.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	3446538  

__________________
'05 Wrangler Sport
4.0, 6-speed, D44-3.73, 32x11.5 KO2's
Zone 4 inch, SYE, Adams driveline
Ohio_Jeep_Jack is offline   Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
You first need to decide where the moisture is coming from. Letting moisture out of the bottom dosent really fix anything as it will let moisture to stay between the rubber and frame. Also keeping the area clean would help tremendously. The problem lies where the rubber meets the metal and holds moisture, and any trapped dirt will Abraid the paint and allows corrosion to take place.

Jbox is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Ohio_Jeep_Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbox View Post
You first need to decide where the moisture is coming from. Letting moisture out of the bottom dosent really fix anything as it will let moisture to stay between the rubber and frame. Also keeping the area clean would help tremendously. The problem lies where the rubber meets the metal and holds moisture, and any trapped dirt will Abraid the paint and allows corrosion to take place.
The holes I was planning on drilling would be on the inside lower edge, not the bottom edge. You would be able to see the holes from inside and the frame would be vented inside the Jeep.
I get what your saying, maybe a light coat of oil/grease between the frame and rubber seal will help.
__________________
'05 Wrangler Sport
4.0, 6-speed, D44-3.73, 32x11.5 KO2's
Zone 4 inch, SYE, Adams driveline
Ohio_Jeep_Jack is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 189
I have the exact same problem with mine. I plan on spraying the inside of the new window frame with Eastwoods internal frame paint and putting a good coating of grease on the seal.

I might also paint the bottom with por15 but only because I'll have a can open already.
JeepingNet is offline   Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Ohio_Jeep_Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingNet View Post
I have the exact same problem with mine. I plan on spraying the inside of the new window frame with Eastwoods internal frame paint and putting a good coating of grease on the seal.

I might also paint the bottom with por15 but only because I'll have a can open already.
I thought about the greasing the lower edge as well.
The new (Used) frame I picked up is perfect. I would hate to see it start rusting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	3449682  
__________________
'05 Wrangler Sport
4.0, 6-speed, D44-3.73, 32x11.5 KO2's
Zone 4 inch, SYE, Adams driveline
Ohio_Jeep_Jack is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Ron505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southeastern, Ohio
Posts: 910
I've got the same issue. Would you mind sharing what you had to give for the new "used" one? You're welcome to PM me.
__________________
_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2003 TJ Sport Inca Gold,
Ron505 is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Ohio_Jeep_Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron505 View Post
I've got the same issue. Would you mind sharing what you had to give for the new "used" one? You're welcome to PM me.
I paid $200 for it with good glass. I found a few others for cheaper but they needed glass & were not red. I ordered new stainless mounting bolts, I'm sure my originals will snap off in the old frame.
__________________
'05 Wrangler Sport
4.0, 6-speed, D44-3.73, 32x11.5 KO2's
Zone 4 inch, SYE, Adams driveline
Ohio_Jeep_Jack is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Ron505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southeastern, Ohio
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Jeep_Jack View Post
I paid $200 for it with good glass. I found a few others for cheaper but they needed glass & were not red. I ordered new stainless mounting bolts, I'm sure my originals will snap off in the old frame.
Could you pick me up an Inca Gold while you're down there Jack?
Good find for you sir!
__________________
_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2003 TJ Sport Inca Gold,
Ron505 is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Ohio_Jeep_Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron505 View Post
Could you pick me up an Inca Gold while you're down there Jack?
Good find for you sir!
I bet that would be a difficult color to find, but there is a guy that I found on CL that parts out wranglers near Daytona (not the guy I got mine from) That probably has a few.
I'd be more than happy to bring one back for you, but I'm not sure how I would fit it in my Jeep. I'll have the four stock wheels & tires, luggage, and my dog to stuff in it.
I was hoping to sell my wheels here but I guess I need a translator....

Here is one of his adds if you want to see what he's got. https://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/5963232263.html

__________________
'05 Wrangler Sport
4.0, 6-speed, D44-3.73, 32x11.5 KO2's
Zone 4 inch, SYE, Adams driveline
Ohio_Jeep_Jack is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.