37' tire help - RAZR, STT Pro, or Patagonia - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree23Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
37' tire help - RAZR, STT Pro, or Patagonia

Getting ready to go to 37" tires and am having a major roadblock picking one, so let's do another "What tire should I buy?" thread.

Cooper STT Pro - lots of good reviews but also seems to be a bunch with balance issues. Seems to hold up well to mileage. D load rated

Milestar Patagonia M/T - new-ish and no long term reports available. Price is great but not if you have to buy twice. Lots of good reviews for quietness and off-road traction. D Load rated

Maxxis RAZR MT - Not a lot of reviews to be found. 40k mile tread wear warranty. highest price of the 3. Talked to a guy with them on a 2500 truck and he said they were quiet and holding up to heavy road use very well. Load range E.

What do y'all say?

__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Professional Nap Taker

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 14,148
The only one on your list I have experience with is the Cooper. We did the 37x12.5x17 on our '18 and love it. So much so that I just put them on our '14 too.

As you can see below the 12.5" wide is "D" rated and the 13.5" is "E". The "D" rated is also 7 pounds lighter FWIW

All assuming you're talking about a 17"

ssinga likes this.

__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
The only one on your list I have experience with is the Cooper. We did the 37x12.5x17 on our '18 and love it. So much so that I just put them on our '14 too.

As you can see below the 12.5" wide is "D" rated and the 13.5" is "E". The "D" rated is also 7 pounds lighter FWIW

All assuming you're talking about a 17"

Yea, 12.5x17 inch. I must have jumped across lines when reading the chart
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Local tire shop just threw another stick on the fire. According to him, the Mastercraft Couser MXT is the same tire as the STT Pro with slightly different tread arrangement. runs about $45-50 less than the STT Pro
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Jplansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC, NY
Posts: 89
I’m in the same boat. 37x12.5x17. There are so many options.

I’ve been happy with my 35” Nitto ridge grapplers so far and was considering just upgrading to the same in 37’s. That said, I’m open to other options so will be following along.
ssinga likes this.
Jplansky is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 35
I had the razr mt’s on my jku and they are phenomenal. They are just as quiet as you have heard, and the best part about them is that they are built extremely beefy so you can wheel hard and not chunk these tires.... the down side is that they are a heavy tire. They also look incredible and have aggressive tread with tons of bite. The only down side I found on them is that they became loud if I tried to rotate them to the opposite side of the vehicle when rotating tires.

I currently have the cooper STT PRO’s on beadlocks (because when I ordered another set of RAZR MT from simpletire, they were out of stock and offered me the coopers as a replacement at a good price). So far they also have lots of bite, are a bit lighter of a tire, ride very comfortably and are extremely quiet! You can’t even tell that I’m running on 37’s. I would say that the sidewall lugs are less aggressive on the coopers and not as thick of a sidewall. I also think the maxxis was a more aggressive looking tire. Also the coopers did take a lot to balance them, but they are also on beadlocks so that’s part of it. But they run great...... so there’s my take on the 2. As far as off road aggressiveness, the maxxis are the leader. On road, the coopers are a little ahead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ssinga likes this.
15Hard-Rock is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 35
This is the coopers.


This is with the maxxis



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ssinga and Cobra5.4 like this.
15Hard-Rock is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:13 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Hard-Rock View Post
I had the razr mt’s on my jku and they are phenomenal. They are just as quiet as you have heard, and the best part about them is that they are built extremely beefy so you can wheel hard and not chunk these tires.... the down side is that they are a heavy tire. They also look incredible and have aggressive tread with tons of bite. The only down side I found on them is that they became loud if I tried to rotate them to the opposite side of the vehicle when rotating tires.

I currently have the cooper STT PRO’s on beadlocks (because when I ordered another set of RAZR MT from simpletire, they were out of stock and offered me the coopers as a replacement at a good price). So far they also have lots of bite, are a bit lighter of a tire, ride very comfortably and are extremely quiet! You can’t even tell that I’m running on 37’s. I would say that the sidewall lugs are less aggressive on the coopers and not as thick of a sidewall. I also think the maxxis was a more aggressive looking tire. Also the coopers did take a lot to balance them, but they are also on beadlocks so that’s part of it. But they run great...... so there’s my take on the 2. As far as off road aggressiveness, the maxxis are the leader. On road, the coopers are a little ahead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Great info. Thx!
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
GitMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 207
I have a pallet of BFG KM3 in 37x12.5x17 showing up on Tuesday. I went through the same process over about a month. Almost bit on the STT Pro but was swayed by some guys at Quadratec to try the KM3.
ssinga likes this.
GitMoe is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Made the mistake of walking into Discount Tire yesterday. Their exclusive Cooper Discoverer MTP looks very interesting.

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-mtp.aspx
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
I have a pallet of BFG KM3 in 37x12.5x17 showing up on Tuesday. I went through the same process over about a month. Almost bit on the STT Pro but was swayed by some guys at Quadratec to try the KM3.


If the BFG tires ran closer to the stated size they would be on my list too.
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:49 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
COJK14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssinga View Post
Made the mistake of walking into Discount Tire yesterday. Their exclusive Cooper Discoverer MTP looks very interesting.

Cooper Discoverer MTP | Cooper Tire
Doesn't appear that those are 3-ply sidewalls like the others stated.
__________________
2014 JK Rubicon, Granite, Auto

2.5 RE lift, 35" KM2, 4.56, Teraflex SportFlex, Teraflex HD tierod/drag link, Teraflex Balljoints Superlift trackbars
COJK14 is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:44 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: North Branch MI
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Hard-Rock View Post
This is the coopers.


This is with the maxxis



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you running the Maxxis on stock rims??? did you have them spaced way out?
matt1091 is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:21 AM   #14
IITYWTMWYBMAB

::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 12,266
I run the Milestars but in a 315(35ish). have about 9-10k miles on them. Having run various other tires off road, BFG MT, Newer MTR, Super swampers etc.. the milestars compare well to those other brands, on road for a mud tire, sound level is more along a AT sound. They are a softer compound so thoughts are they will see increased wear vs a harder tread compound, say more miles than the avg super swamper TSL but less than say a BFG AT/MT. Over all have been very happy with them on the rocks or in the mud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_162502_613.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	4104899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180811_150255_511b.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	4104901  

ssinga and Incognito_ like this.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94.15
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ. JK


JKU Build Inside: Party Girl
WranglerForum: Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHO...TLdAuMbTLs_bxw

JKUR 2" Rancho Sport - BlackForest Throwback Top - Milestar 315 Patagona Mt's - Outlaw Sheriff Rims - Bushwacker Flat Fenders -
Spicer Parts F/R Diff Covers, Front Drive Shaft - 4340 Alloy Shafts- Metal Cloak Overland Rock w/Flip Step -JCR Transmission Skid- Quadratec LED Headlights- Q9500i winch
4Jeepn is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:58 AM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJK14 View Post
Doesn't appear that those are 3-ply sidewalls like the others stated.


You are correct. They are a 2 ply sidewall.
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:15 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1091 View Post
How are you running the Maxxis on stock rims??? did you have them spaced way out?


I was using a 2” wheel spacer. Worked great. No rubbing and I went off roading regularly each month. Mostly moderate level rock crawling.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
15Hard-Rock is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
GitMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssinga View Post
If the BFG tires ran closer to the stated size they would be on my list too.
The 37" KM3 comes in at 36.5" so it's the truest to size BFG ever. I was glad to see they made the adjustment. Ordering 37" KO2 that were really only 35" was going to make me really sad.
GitMoe is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Thread Starter
  #18
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
I think I’m going to go with the STT Pro. Thanks for the input y’all.
Blue Baby Sound and Cobra5.4 like this.
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 2,747
Post pictures!!
__________________
Current Jeep: 2020 JT Sport S, Firecracker Red, 8-speed, 3.6L, 0.75" RC level, 35" Patagonia M/T, AO Lonestar wheels, MAX TOW, M.O.R.E. dead pedal, Supernova V.4 bulbs
WXman is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #20
6D9
Jeeper
 
6D9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Stockton,ca
Posts: 316
I would also consider the Mickey Thompsen MTZP3's as well. Love this tire.

2017-08-30_07-03-36 by ronfasano, on Flickr

2017-08-30_07-04-06 by ronfasano, on Flickr

Mine are 35's but they make a 37x12.5x17 as well.
__________________
97 TJ...4.0/AX-15
Atlas 5.0
ARB'S/4.56
35"MT MTZ'S
[email protected]
6D9 is online now   Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Thread Starter
  #21
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D9 View Post
I would also consider the Mickey Thompsen MTZP3's as well. Love this tire.



2017-08-30_07-03-36 by ronfasano, on Flickr



2017-08-30_07-04-06 by ronfasano, on Flickr



Mine are 35's but they make a 37x12.5x17 as well.


Those are also made by Cooper Tire.
Cooper Subsidiaries

The company’s sub-brands and their tire type-oriented specializations are:

Dick Cepek – off-road tires for trucks, SUVs, 4x4s, etc.

Mastercraft Tires – all types of tires from passenger to light truck.

Mentor Tires – winter, summer, all-season tires for passenger vehicles.

Mickey Thompson – racing and high-performance tires for street/off-road use.

Roadmaster Tires – commercial tires.

Starfire Tires – budget-oriented quality tires.

Avon Tyres – all types of tires (for Europe).

Dean – commercial truck tires (Asia).

And just recently announced a new tire brand with Sparks motors (diesel bros)
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Thread Starter
  #22
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Post pictures!!


Tires are in, wheels will be here Friday. Install will likely happen next Tuesday.
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Thread Starter
  #23
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssinga View Post
Tires are in, wheels will be here Friday. Install will likely happen next Tuesday.




Cobra5.4 and 6D9 like this.
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:22 AM
Thread Starter
  #24
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Blue Baby Sound and 6D9 like this.
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
cranbiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Reidsville, NC
Posts: 2,384
Seeing as I won a set of BFG's in a raffle, I went with KM3's in 37x12.5R17. They measures 36.5" at 28 PSI with no weight on them and 36" with the weight of the Jeep on them.

So far, I have driven them about 700 miles and wheeled all weekend with them. Liking them a lot, not really any louder than my 35" KM2's were.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181101_201956.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	4108209  
Blue Baby Sound, ssinga and 6D9 like this.
__________________
KN4BBA

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift, 3/4 spacers ,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17 with beadlocks.
17 WK2 Trailhawk
cranbiz is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
OldMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D9 View Post
I would also consider the Mickey Thompsen MTZP3's as well. Love this tire.

2017-08-30_07-03-36 by ronfasano, on Flickr

2017-08-30_07-04-06 by ronfasano, on Flickr

Mine are 35's but they make a 37x12.5x17 as well.
Mickey thompson baja radial mtz 37 x 12.50 r17 , my all time winner !!!
I had a set on my old 14' jk rubi and now i have a set on a 17' jku rubi
and to be honest, i'm so happy with them that I'm afraid to try another brand :-()
Also, at the time, those were the closest to really being 37" .

Anyway, most tires are more than ok so which ever you ended up with will probably satisfy you and you will soon forget what a big issue you (as all of us) made out picking a tire :-))
Enjoy

Rafi
ssinga and 6D9 like this.
__________________


Any stock jeep is a bankruptcy starter kit ...

If it has tits or wheels it will give you problems :-)
OldMaster is offline   Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #27
6D9
Jeeper
 
6D9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Stockton,ca
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMaster View Post
Mickey thompson baja radial mtz 37 x 12.50 r17 , my all time winner !!!
I had a set on my old 14' jk rubi and now i have a set on a 17' jku rubi
and to be honest, i'm so happy with them that I'm afraid to try another brand :-()
Also, at the time, those were the closest to really being 37" .

Anyway, most tires are more than ok so which ever you ended up with will probably satisfy you and you will soon forget what a big issue you (as all of us) made out picking a tire :-))
Enjoy

Rafi
Nice!! Yep I was torn between the STT Pro and the MTZ's. I got a killer deal on the MTZ and am super happy with this tire.
ssinga likes this.
__________________
97 TJ...4.0/AX-15
Atlas 5.0
ARB'S/4.56
35"MT MTZ'S
[email protected]
6D9 is online now   Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
jeepfan30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 82
What wheels are those? Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D9 View Post
I would also consider the Mickey Thompsen MTZP3's as well. Love this tire.

2017-08-30_07-03-36 by ronfasano, on Flickr

2017-08-30_07-04-06 by ronfasano, on Flickr

Mine are 35's but they make a 37x12.5x17 as well.
jeepfan30 is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
jeepfan30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 82
Icon Rebound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfan30 View Post
What wheels are those? Thanks,
jeepfan30 is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #30
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfan30 View Post
Icon Rebound?


Mine are the Dirty Life DT1 9303. I have the protection ring installed and tires mounted traditionally. You can get an optional beadlock ring so you can mount it as such.

https://www.dirtylifewheels.com/dualtek/

__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC