BFG KM 2's or GoodYear MT/R - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 165
BFG KM 2's or GoodYear MT/R

i use my TJ a lot. it is my daily driver and it sees the trails occasionally. i like them both. which would be better for all around use? i like the agressive treads on them both and i do like a little noise from a M/T.

tlarm139 is offline   Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
jdhallissey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gurnee,IL
Posts: 5,104
Send a message via AIM to jdhallissey
mt-r ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST km2s you will run thru them soft tread and also very easy to rip the sidewalls.

__________________
Know nothing SPEAK on everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccain View Post
Isn't the JK just a rebodied PT Cruiser?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_94yj
Just a few more inches Red. You can take it.


If you haven't gotten more out of the insurance company than you deserve, then you haven't screwed them nearly as much as they have been screwing you for the past xx years.
jdhallissey is offline   Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhallissey View Post
mt-r ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST km2s you will run thru them soft tread and also very easy to rip the sidewalls.
thanks. exacly what i was looking for !
tlarm139 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
the April Fourwheeler ranked them 2nd in there mud test and we all know what they do on the rocks.. Sounds like a winner to me.. Although I've heard alot of contradictory reports on the mud and the mtr's
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight
the April Fourwheeler ranked them 2nd in there mud test and we all know what they do on the rocks.. Sounds like a winner to me.. Although I've heard alot of contradictory reports on the mud and the mtr's
I haven't tried them in mud, but they also aren't a MUD terrain. I believe that I read somewhere that wrangler MT does not stand for mud terrain, but rather maximum traction
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Might as well be something.. Cause they only tire that came ahead of them was the hankook dynapro mt in 4whlrs mud testing. I was kinda surprised to see the KM2's ranked 8th.. Up until that article I always thought the KM2 was a better tire for mud then the MTR.. Of course we all know where they really shine and that would be in the rocks
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Ezalycasaid1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
I haven't tried them in mud, but they also aren't a MUD terrain. I believe that I read somewhere that wrangler MT does not stand for mud terrain, but rather maximum traction

Correct it does stand for Maximum Traction, Radial. Ive had the MT/Rs on 4 of my vehicles and theyve all done incredibly well for me. In snow,(I did get all of mine sipped though), mud, rocks, and on the street. I still have my first pair I bought, on my F150 with 65,000 miles on them (street/mountain work roads) and they still have half tread left. I also had the KM2s on my g/fs truck... dont get them, no snow traction, suck in mud, some rock traction. What did the MT/R come in second to, the Boggers?
__________________
Project Shiella the never ending story.
Overkill is an underated achievement.
Ezalycasaid1 is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid1 View Post
Correct it does stand for Maximum Traction, Radial. Ive had the MT/Rs on 4 of my vehicles and theyve all done incredibly well for me. In snow,(I did get all of mine sipped though), mud, rocks, and on the street. I still have my first pair I bought, on my F150 with 65,000 miles on them (street/mountain work roads) and they still have half tread left. I also had the KM2s on my g/fs truck... dont get them, no snow traction, suck in mud, some rock traction. What did the MT/R come in second to, the Boggers?
The ten tires tested were MT's people commonly buy for a street driven wheeler.. The Hankook Dynapro's were the tires to beat out the MTR's
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Ezalycasaid1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight View Post
The ten tires tested were MT's people commonly buy for a street driven wheeler.. The Hankook Dynapro's were the tires to beat out the MTR's
Oh wow. Haha thats the tire I switched my g/fs truck to from the KM2s.
__________________
Project Shiella the never ending story.
Overkill is an underated achievement.
Ezalycasaid1 is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
jdhallissey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gurnee,IL
Posts: 5,104
Send a message via AIM to jdhallissey
As the reviews say I really don't follow them. I go based off what I have seen in real life. The MT-R with Kevlar hooks and grabs just about everything. I have the dick cepek crushers- They grip pretty well since the lugs are monsters but nothing like the MT-Rs. I have seen a lot of tires but never the hanooks.
__________________
Know nothing SPEAK on everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccain View Post
Isn't the JK just a rebodied PT Cruiser?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_94yj
Just a few more inches Red. You can take it.


If you haven't gotten more out of the insurance company than you deserve, then you haven't screwed them nearly as much as they have been screwing you for the past xx years.
jdhallissey is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid1 View Post
Oh wow. Haha thats the tire I switched my g/fs truck to from the KM2s.
Haha.. That is awesome



I've seen alot of tires in the mud.. The MTR's are yet to be one of them.. So all I can take my info is from reviews.. Good on the street. Great on the rocks. and very good in the mud at least according to 4whlr.. With that said I've also read on here that they don't clean out very well in the mud.. But maybe it just depends on what kind of mud you are in.. That is my guess and was a disclaimer in there testing. As to the hankooks, I had a buddy who ran the hankooks.. they were amazing in the slop.. I myself ran the original Hankook MT RTO1's on my XJ up until I traded it in.. Got 2 trophy's with running those tires in mud bog competitions.. Good times..
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 165
So are these classified as mud terrains ?

tlarm139 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goodyear MT/R 245 75 16 - New (TX) JeepersdoitDeeper Classifieds Archive 3 10-29-2010 05:46 AM
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Tire in Northern Kentucky 2006LJRubicon Classifieds Archive 4 10-11-2010 04:44 PM
Goodyear MT/R 32X11.50's adawg38 TJ General Discussion Forum 4 08-27-2010 09:25 AM
32" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (Evansville, IN) $100 jwm1986 Classifieds Archive 6 12-12-2009 06:12 PM
Goodyear unveils Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar wallybloke General Jeep Discussion 29 10-12-2009 10:39 PM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.