Can you put 315/70/17 tires on factory wheels? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
IMRIU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Can you put 315/70/17 tires on factory wheels?

Just wondering if I can use my factory black wheels if I get Mickey Thompson mud terrain tires? I have a 2017 big bear jku. Thanks in advance for your help.

IMRIU is offline   Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Ramona Wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ramona, Ca
Posts: 1,977
I have those size tires on my 2016 Rubicon. You will need wheel spacers to prevent rubbing when you make full turns.

__________________
2016 JKUR Mohave Sand, Auto, 4.56's, Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift, 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38's
Ramona Wrangler is online now   Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
cherokeesteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Channahon, Illinois
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIU View Post
Just wondering if I can use my factory black wheels if I get Mickey Thompson mud terrain tires? I have a 2017 big bear jku. Thanks in advance for your help.
The short answer is yes. But theres a lot to consider.
In my thread I easily installed 35 x 12.5 tires on stock Sahara wheels. You might have issues finding a tire dealer to mount them since the tires you mention exceed the recommended max. width of stock wheels. As Ramona mentioned, without wheel spacers you will rub. Lower control arms most likely, I have 1.75 spacers on my Jeep to accommodate 12.5 wide tires. You will probably need a relocation bracket for the spare, which is the easy, inexpensive solution (will retain stock spare tire carrier but move spare up and away from rear bumper). This will put stress on the rear tail gate which will have to be addressed at some time. The spare will also block the third brake light which youll have to deal with or risk getting a ticket(s). It may not matter much, but you may also have rubbing up front on the factory air dam. Its plastic and is easily removed if you want to just leave it off, and can be easily trimmed/cut if you want to keep it. I have a 2.5 lift on my Wrangler and trimmed all my stock fender flares and have longer bump stops front and rear. Thats all for off roading and flex without rubbing. You probably should at the very least install longer bump stops front and rear. Im not sure about the Black Bear editions but if you have the RubiRail rocker guards youll have to trim the rear portion of those 1-1 1/2 if your rear tires will be doing any flexing. You can avoid most of these issues by going with a 285/70/17 tire. I know the Mickey Thompson tires you like come in that size as well.
Its a lot more than just getting the tires mounted with the 315/70/17 but Id rather have you know what you will/might be up against sooner rather than later.


P.S. The 285/70/17 Wrangler M/Ts my wife put on her JKU look great, Id venture to guess its likely the most popular not stock Wrangler tire size sold.
__________________
"I agree with everything Steve said here. Except the unicorns and rainbows..." -a very wise man-
cherokeesteve is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-13-2018, 01:09 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Newb
 
IMRIU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Thanks for the help. I’m still figuring out what I want to do.
IMRIU is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
softdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: ~base of Mt Blanca, CO
Posts: 726
That is about the same as a 35" tire. Many would recommend regearing at that size. Where are you going to wheel? Most trails are doable with 31" tires. Almost all with 33" tires.
I bought 35" x 12.5" tires and now wish I had gone 34" x 11.5".
softdown is offline   Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
terpsmandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Penn Yan, NY
Posts: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesteve View Post
The short answer is yes. But theres a lot to consider.
In my thread I easily installed 35 x 12.5 tires on stock Sahara wheels. You might have issues finding a tire dealer to mount them since the tires you mention exceed the recommended max. width of stock wheels. As Ramona mentioned, without wheel spacers you will rub. Lower control arms most likely, I have 1.75 spacers on my Jeep to accommodate 12.5 wide tires. You will probably need a relocation bracket for the spare, which is the easy, inexpensive solution (will retain stock spare tire carrier but move spare up and away from rear bumper). This will put stress on the rear tail gate which will have to be addressed at some time. The spare will also block the third brake light which youll have to deal with or risk getting a ticket(s). It may not matter much, but you may also have rubbing up front on the factory air dam. Its plastic and is easily removed if you want to just leave it off, and can be easily trimmed/cut if you want to keep it. I have a 2.5 lift on my Wrangler and trimmed all my stock fender flares and have longer bump stops front and rear. Thats all for off roading and flex without rubbing. You probably should at the very least install longer bump stops front and rear. Im not sure about the Black Bear editions but if you have the RubiRail rocker guards youll have to trim the rear portion of those 1-1 1/2 if your rear tires will be doing any flexing. You can avoid most of these issues by going with a 285/70/17 tire. I know the Mickey Thompson tires you like come in that size as well.
Its a lot more than just getting the tires mounted with the 315/70/17 but Id rather have you know what you will/might be up against sooner rather than later.


P.S. The 285/70/17 Wrangler M/Ts my wife put on her JKU look great, Id venture to guess its likely the most popular not stock Wrangler tire size sold.
Pix on the 35's on stock rims? I went with a 295/70/18 on Sahara rims for my wife's 15 JKUR. Teraflex leveling kit and 1.5" spacers.
terpsmandan is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
cherokeesteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Channahon, Illinois
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
Pix on the 35's on stock rims? I went with a 295/70/18 on Sahara rims for my wife's 15 JKUR. Teraflex leveling kit and 1.5" spacers.
Pics I have (the tires measured out at 34.5 in the Jeep, rims are plasti-dipped)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016E4D1D-8551-4F20-AEB2-32EBB7F5BDBA.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	4033610   Click image for larger version

Name:	98108280-0C97-4C11-A740-D59C0E9AB00E.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	4033618  

__________________
"I agree with everything Steve said here. Except the unicorns and rainbows..." -a very wise man-
cherokeesteve is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
terpsmandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Penn Yan, NY
Posts: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesteve View Post
Pics I have (the tires measured out at 34.5 in the Jeep, rims are plasti-dipped)
Thanks. Looks good.
terpsmandan is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
cherokeesteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Channahon, Illinois
Posts: 3,686
Also, 3.73 gears and my opinion is 35” tires are ok. Thanks, I just drilled some holes in pattern to give a different than stock look.

__________________
"I agree with everything Steve said here. Except the unicorns and rainbows..." -a very wise man-
cherokeesteve is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.