Cooper AT3 XLT - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By WXman
  • 1 Post By 78S_106E
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 408
Cooper AT3 XLT

Has anyone tried the new Cooper AT3 XLT? If so, how do you like them? How aggressive looking is the sidewall compared to say the Duratrac or Ridge Grappler?


I'm in the market for new tires on my JKUR and had pretty much decided on the Ridge Grappler, but these are cheaper and lighter I thought I would check them out.


The Jeep is my DD and my driving is 98% on road. I drive quite a bit too - about 20K per year.

Mocs123 is offline   Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Koch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,102
The AT3 comes with a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty.
I don't think the Ridge Grappler has any.

Koch is online now   Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 408
Thats true the AT3 XLT has a 60K treadwear warranty, which the Ridge Grappler doesn't have one - my guess is they would last ~50K but there isn't any warranty.



I just want to make sure they give me the look I want.
Mocs123 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 408
The Cooper is 58lbs in 285/75 R17 and the Ridge Grappler is 66lbs.
Mocs123 is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 218
I think the Ridge grappler looks more aggressive than the Cooper. Another thing to note is Cooper is E rated. I am about to pull the trigger on Ridge grapplers because you can get them in a C. I drive a lot too, so I like the C option. Just deciding between 285/70 17 and 285/75 17.
IGotLost is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:55 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 408
The Ridge Grappler is also available in 255/80R17 which may be an alternative to the 285/70R17 (both are 33"s) without any mods (wheels or spacers).



I was trying to decide between 255/80R17 and 285/75R17, but have pretty much decided to go with 285/75R17's with 1.25" spacers on stock wheels.
Mocs123 is offline   Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:22 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,089
The Cooper is a street tire and not really suited for anything more than dirt roads. Have a set of the AT3 tires on my Lexus GX470 that I drive 30k miles per year. Tires wear well but do not look aggressive whatsoever.
Blort is online now   Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:50 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Jeef Spicoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lake Michigan's South Shore, IN
Posts: 340
I always thought Cooper tires were like second rate, aftermarket, budget tires.

I did a ton research when my summer commuter car, Nissan 350Z, needed replacements.

My opinion of Cooper Tires has changed. Best Tire Value out there I've found, with Impressive performance and wear.

When the day comes that I need replace the stock GoodYear Wranglers, I would very much go with the Cooper AT3 XLT.

They look great, and based on the performance from street tires on the Z, I'm now a proponent of the Brand.
Jeef Spicoli is offline   Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 2,748
I saw the XLT version of the AT3 at the local tire shop and they are much more aggressive looking in person than they are in online pics. Obviously the tread design is the same between all three versions of the tire, but the sidewalls on the XLT are quite aggressive. I was impressed.
jadmt and Digger70 like this.
__________________
Current Jeep: 2020 JT Sport S, Firecracker Red, 8-speed, 3.6L, 0.75" RC level, 35" Patagonia M/T, AO Lonestar wheels, MAX TOW, M.O.R.E. dead pedal, Supernova V.4 bulbs
WXman is offline   Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 20,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I saw the XLT version of the AT3 at the local tire shop and they are much more aggressive looking in person than they are in online pics. Obviously the tread design is the same between all three versions of the tire, but the sidewalls on the XLT are quite aggressive. I was impressed.
ditto. I saw these mounted on a truck and they look way more aggressive in person. I had a set of the original at3s and the at3xlt is not even in the same zip code as far as looks go.
__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is online now   Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
ZEN357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 261
I haven't tried those Copper tires, but have run Coopers in the past on some of my cars and have always had great luck with them.
ZEN357 is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 AM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 408
Did the sidewalls look similar in agressiveness to say a Duratrac or Ridge Grappler? Did the street tread look funny with the street tire tread?


I am trying to decide between these and the Ridge Grapplers in 285/75R17's.


The Ridge Grappler


Pros:
Look I want
Popular (proven tire)
C Load Rating



Cons:
Heavy (~65lbs)

More Expensive (about $250 more per 5)


Cooper AT3 XLT


Pros:
Lightweight (57lbs)
Cheaper
60K warranty

Better Mileage???? (due to road tread and lighter weight)????


Cons:
Looks?
Unknown Tire
E Rated
Mocs123 is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #13
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Digger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clearfield County, PA
Posts: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Did the sidewalls look similar in agressiveness to say a Duratrac or Ridge Grappler? Did the street tread look funny with the street tire tread?


I am trying to decide between these and the Ridge Grapplers in 285/75R17's.


The Ridge Grappler


Pros:
Look I want
Popular (proven tire)
C Load Rating



Cons:
Heavy (~65lbs)

More Expensive (about $250 more per 5)


Cooper AT3 XLT


Pros:
Lightweight (57lbs)
Cheaper
60K warranty

Better Mileage???? (due to road tread and lighter weight)????


Cons:
Looks?
Unknown Tire
E Rated
So did you ever decide on what you're getting?
__________________
Sold 3/30/17: 2014 Willys Wheeler JK FR
Sold 6/5/19: 2015 Sahara JK BY
Sold 8/22/19: 2019 Sahara JLU HY
Bought 8/22/19: 2020 JTR FR
Digger70 is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
78S_106E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 282
fyi for the Ridge Grappler consideration, iirc there's a long thread started on here when the Ridge Grapplers first came out. It was discovered that the C and E rated 285/75/17 were within only 1 lb of being the same weight. That was leading most people, me included, that the C's were likely just as stiff as the E's. Personally, I never heard or read any direct feedback on how the C and E compared to each other while going down the road. It did help me change my mind last year when I chose a different tire.
__________________
Build thread 2014 JKU Polar Edition

WWG1WGA
78S_106E is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #15
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Digger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clearfield County, PA
Posts: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78S_106E View Post
fyi for the Ridge Grappler consideration, iirc there's a long thread started on here when the Ridge Grapplers first came out. It was discovered that the C and E rated 285/75/17 were within only 1 lb of being the same weight. That was leading most people, me included, that the C's were likely just as stiff as the E's. Personally, I never heard or read any direct feedback on how the C and E compared to each other while going down the road. It did help me change my mind last year when I chose a different tire.

What tire did you get?
__________________
Sold 3/30/17: 2014 Willys Wheeler JK FR
Sold 6/5/19: 2015 Sahara JK BY
Sold 8/22/19: 2019 Sahara JLU HY
Bought 8/22/19: 2020 JTR FR
Digger70 is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
78S_106E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 282
I ordered Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP in 295/70/17. E rated, 58 lbs, 2 ply sidewall. Never wanted to put E rated tires on my Jeep, but these seem to be a lighter weight E, plus its 2 ply. Hoping for a C or D "ride" on the road. Should be delivered today or tomorrow. Soo happy I'm off for a few days, so I can be here when delivered. Psyched!

Got the EXP's at 10% off, free shipping, no $tax. Plus got in on the last day of DC's $100 mail-in rebate. Plan is to start a thread, and post some pics and compare to my current Falken Wildpeaks 285/70/17.

Almost got Patagonia 295/70/17 from Walmart...crazy low price.
Digger70 likes this.
__________________
Build thread 2014 JKU Polar Edition

WWG1WGA
78S_106E is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Digger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clearfield County, PA
Posts: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78S_106E View Post
I ordered Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP in 295/70/17. E rated, 58 lbs, 2 ply sidewall. Never wanted to put E rated tires on my Jeep, but these seem to be a lighter weight E, plus its 2 ply. Hoping for a C or D "ride" on the road. Should be delivered today or tomorrow. Soo happy I'm off for a few days, so I can be here when delivered. Psyched!

Got the EXP's at 10% off, free shipping, no $tax. Plus got in on the last day of DC's $100 mail-in rebate. Plan is to start a thread, and post some pics and compare to my current Falken Wildpeaks 285/70/17.

Almost got Patagonia 295/70/17 from Walmart...crazy low price.
Cool. I've been thinking of downsizing. I have the KO2 315's and thinking of going to either 285/75 or 255/80 but I like the new Cooper AT3 XLT which only come in the 285/75 and not the 255/80. For the 255/80 it would be either the Falkens, Toyo or Cooper ST Maxx. I've seen rave reviews on here for all three and like the ST Maxx and also like that it accepts studs. I've never used studded tires before. I also like those new Mickey Thompson Deegan AT's but they're pricey. Kinda want to back to white letters although they're a bitch to keep clean. I'll check out those Dick Cepeks. Post pics when you get them installed.

__________________
Sold 3/30/17: 2014 Willys Wheeler JK FR
Sold 6/5/19: 2015 Sahara JK BY
Sold 8/22/19: 2019 Sahara JLU HY
Bought 8/22/19: 2020 JTR FR
Digger70 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC