Do you care how much a tire weighs? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
DGriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central California
Posts: 62
Do you care how much a tire weighs?

When purchasing new tires, how many of you bother to check the weight and how much does it matter to you?

I've been reading about this "unsprung weight" stuff and now I'm debating between a tire that weights 61 lbs. in the 33" size vs. 78 lbs. in the 35".

Other than the extra diameter, will the increased weight be that much more noticeable?

DGriz is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 3,219
I think I may be the cause of you doing research into unsprung weight. Lol.

Yes, that is a rather significant difference in weight between those 2 tires and would definitely be noticeable, even if the tires were the same diameter. The heavier the wheel/tire, the more it takes to turn it, the larger the MPG hit. Just the nature of the beast.

One of the reasons the Duratracs are so popular is because of their light weight, so maybe you should look into them. Seems like you were looking into the Falkens if I remember right. Check this out...
The 315/75/16 Wild Peak weighs in at 77lbs. The same size Duratracs is only 64lbs!
Plus, you can get $100 mail in rebate from treadlightly.org on the Duratracs and DTD has a $60 mail in rebate for them right now too.
Only downside, for me anyway, is that the Duratrac in that size is load range E. But many people run that tire without issue.

__________________
-Jeff-
'17 JKU Big Bear Build Thread | Rancho 2" Progressive Kit | Teraflex Sport LCAs | 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
4fit is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
DGriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central California
Posts: 62
Yep, Falken Wild Peaks. I think I've settled on the idea of the 33s at 60 lbs each. Duratracs would be my preference but they'd be about $80 a tire more than the deal I'm getting on the Falkens.

Can't beat $200 a tire out the door.
DGriz is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
jazzy jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Troutman, NC
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff
based on 33/12.50/15 here are some tire weights...
Eldorado MTZ sport - 52lbs
Goodyear Duratrac - 49lbs
BFG A/T - 53lbs
BFG MT - 58lbs
Dick Cepek Crusher - 58lbs
Dick Cepek Mud Country - 57lbs
Dunlap Mud Rover - 53lbs
General Grabber Red Letter - 69lbs (wow!)
Goodyear MT/R - 60lbs
Yokohama Geolander - 51lbs

....how significant is this weight when you multiply it by 4 tires and consider it "rotating mass"??
...this is a post I have on another thread.
jazzy jeff is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Irongrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 2,800
Send a message via AIM to Irongrave
To me grip, traction and such mean a lot more then a tire weights. but my jeep dose not see street use. Also for my DD I want something that will handle the riggers of towing the jeep both in load rating and grip. I wheel is some places you need 4low in the tow rig to get into. To me a lighter tire means nothing if you waste a sidewall first time out or have no grip on the road or rocks.

My old Nitto terra grapplers were about 5-10 lbs lighter then my current KM2s on my dodge. However they sucked with the trailer and had almost no grip in the rain let alone unpaved surfaces. Just something else to think about.
__________________
4421
Irongrave is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit
I think I may be the cause of you doing research into unsprung weight. Lol.

Yes, that is a rather significant difference in weight between those 2 tires and would definitely be noticeable, even if the tires were the same diameter. The heavier the wheel/tire, the more it takes to turn it, the larger the MPG hit. Just the nature of the beast.

One of the reasons the Duratracs are so popular is because of their light weight, so maybe you should look into them. Seems like you were looking into the Falkens if I remember right. Check this out...
The 315/75/16 Wild Peak weighs in at 77lbs. The same size Duratracs is only 64lbs!
Plus, you can get $100 mail in rebate from treadlightly.org on the Duratracs and DTD has a $60 mail in rebate for them right now too.
Only downside, for me anyway, is that the Duratrac in that size is load range E. But many people run that tire without issue.
Or ESP
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10

Or ESP
__________________
-Jeff-
'17 JKU Big Bear Build Thread | Rancho 2" Progressive Kit | Teraflex Sport LCAs | 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
4fit is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriz
Yep, Falken Wild Peaks. I think I've settled on the idea of the 33s at 60 lbs each. Duratracs would be my preference but they'd be about $80 a tire more than the deal I'm getting on the Falkens.

Can't beat $200 a tire out the door.
I know what you mean. I went with the 285/75/16 Rocky Mountains over the Duratracs because they were $70 a tire cheaper and cause the DTs in that size were load range E.
__________________
-Jeff-
'17 JKU Big Bear Build Thread | Rancho 2" Progressive Kit | Teraflex Sport LCAs | 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
4fit is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10

He knows a bit about Unsprung weight
Ah. Gotcha. What I was referring to was the fact the the OP had asked me about unsprung weight over at JK Forum yesterday. Lol.
__________________
-Jeff-
'17 JKU Big Bear Build Thread | Rancho 2" Progressive Kit | Teraflex Sport LCAs | 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
4fit is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 16,970
We had another discussion about this the other day, and a lighter tire is always better offroad. A larger diameter tire has better rolling resistance. The closer to center of mass the majority of the weight is, the better. aka smaller wheels=better mpgs. obviously smaller tires give better mpgs. If you wheel hard, as irongrave mentioned, you want a thicker and stronger tire/sidewall.

I am trying to think if there is anything else. I did a few days of reasearch just for fun on this stuff on everything from trucks to 4wd to cars.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - https://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
DGriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central California
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
We had another discussion about this the other day, and a lighter tire is always better offroad. A larger diameter tire has better rolling resistance. The closer to center of mass the majority of the weight is, the better. aka smaller wheels=better mpgs. obviously smaller tires give better mpgs. If you wheel hard, as irongrave mentioned, you want a thicker and stronger tire/sidewall.

I am trying to think if there is anything else. I did a few days of research just for fun on this stuff on everything from trucks to 4wd to cars.
This all makes sense, but what if you are deciding between the same tire in different sizes? The Falkens are what I have decided on, but it's just bugging me that the 35's are sooo heavy. The 33's are already going to be heavier than what I've been running and just slightly bigger. I was excited about going with the 35's but when I found out about the weight of these monsters, I'm now thinking I have to settle for the smaller tire just so I don't destroy my precious horsepower that I so need when pulling the travel trailer.
DGriz is offline   Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
jazzy jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Troutman, NC
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriz

This all makes sense, but what if you are deciding between the same tire in different sizes? The Falkens are what I have decided on, but it's just bugging me that the 35's are sooo heavy. The 33's are already going to be heavier than what I've been running and just slightly bigger. I was excited about going with the 35's but when I found out about the weight of these monsters, I'm now thinking I have to settle for the smaller tire just so I don't destroy my precious horsepower that I so need when pulling the travel trailer.
In a world where money isnt an object... You could through another $1300 at it and re-gear your rig to make up for the added size and weight.
jazzy jeff is offline   Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
drl650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 615
Weight did play a big roll in tire for me.I knew I wanted to run a 35" an upgrade from my 33s. and I knew I want a MT tire. The two top choices for me were BFG & GY. I went with the BFG KM2 @ 61lbs over the Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar in a 16" but equal size to a 35 @ 67lbs as they were in my opinion just as good a tire but much lighter, 6 lbs per corner adds up in rolling mass.Also the BFG were cheaper.. Again personal preference.
drl650 is offline   Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
DGriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central California
Posts: 62
True, but I'd never get that HP back. I can use that same $1,300 for gears with lighter tires and come out ahead, right?
DGriz is offline   Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
jazzy jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Troutman, NC
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriz
True, but I'd never get that HP back. I can use that same $1,300 for gears with lighter tires and come out ahead, right?
Gears really do alot to make up for the added circumference of a bigger tire, it adds some bottom end torque... Which with a jeep, especially a lifted jeep, your not out there running wide open so the small loss of top end speed won't ever be a factor! Its like adding HP!!!!!
jazzy jeff is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
ESP
I AM THERE4 I JEEP

WF Lifetime Member
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Or ESP
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK 17 JKU

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. John 8:12

ESP is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 16,970
Okay you glory hound!

__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - https://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First thing you can think of... Hexxum Off-Topic 62564 07-08-2018 06:38 AM
how do i remove "rubicon" lettering? armygreen General Jeep Discussion 19 07-18-2012 11:37 AM
How much to ask for my hardtop? biscot JK General Discussion Forum 20 03-12-2012 09:28 PM
Do you have a secondary vehicle as a gas saver? JeepinDave Off-Topic 40 03-09-2012 01:29 PM
You know your having fun when Akdirtracer TJ General Discussion Forum 1 03-08-2012 01:53 AM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.