Goodyear Duratrac 285/70 17R for Stock JKU with stock wheels - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 4fit
  • 3 Post By isaacimage
  • 1 Post By 4fit
  • 1 Post By terpsmandan
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
isaacimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 35
Goodyear Duratrac 285/70 17R for Stock JKU with stock wheels

Hello dear friends.
Is anyone running these size (285/70 R17)
On stock (non lifted) Jeep Sahara JKU with stock wheels.

Do I need spacers?
If so how safe the spacers?

Using Jeep as my DD mostly Highways
Don't want to lift as want to keep my low center gravity for better handling and cornering.

Thank you in advance.

__________________
2017 - JKU - Sahara - Granite crystal - 3.73 - Stock.
isaacimage is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacimage View Post
Hello dear friends.
Is anyone running these size (285/70 R17)
On stock (non lifted) Jeep Sahara JKU with stock wheels.

Do I need spacers?
If so how safe the spacers?

Using Jeep as my DD mostly Highways
Don't want to lift as want to keep my low center gravity for better handling and cornering.

Thank you in advance.
Your Sahara should have come with 18" wheels stock, so a 285/70/17 won't fit as that is designed for a 17" wheel. The equivalent 18" model would be 285/65/18.

With a 285 tire, it is advised to run spacers (1.25" or 1.5"). Good quality hub-centric spacers are safe (I run them myself, along with countless others). Brands such as SpiderTrax, Teraflex, etc.

For more information, see this post:
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/lar...er-142837.html

__________________
-Jeff-
'17 JKU Big Bear Build Thread | Rancho 2" Progressive Kit | Teraflex Sport LCAs | 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
4fit is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
isaacimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
Your Sahara should have come with 18" wheels stock, so a 285/70/17 won't fit as that is designed for a 17" wheel. The equivalent 18" model would be 285/65/18.

With a 285 tire, it is advised to run spacers (1.25" or 1.5"). Good quality hub-centric spacers are safe (I run them myself, along with countless others). Brands such as SpiderTrax, Teraflex, etc.

For more information, see this post:
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/lar...er-142837.html
Thank you so much for great info
I got my Jeep with 18th but bought amazing special edition OEM black 17" rims from someone.
Thts why I was looking for 17th.
__________________
2017 - JKU - Sahara - Granite crystal - 3.73 - Stock.
isaacimage is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacimage View Post
Thank you so much for great info
I got my Jeep with 18th but bought amazing special edition OEM black 17" rims from someone.
Thts why I was looking for 17th.
Gotcha. You had mention stock wheels, so that'w why I assumed you meant the stock 18" Sahara wheels.
__________________
-Jeff-
'17 JKU Big Bear Build Thread | Rancho 2" Progressive Kit | Teraflex Sport LCAs | 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
4fit is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
isaacimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 35
There is bunch of numbers on the back
would love if you can guide me a bit
but looks like it's 4.4.4.5

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1408.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	3740561

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1409.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	3740569

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1411.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	3740577

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1414.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	3740585

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1415.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	3740593
__________________
2017 - JKU - Sahara - Granite crystal - 3.73 - Stock.
isaacimage is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
isaacimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
Gotcha. You had mention stock wheels, so that'w why I assumed you meant the stock 18" Sahara wheels.

Those appear to be MB72 wheels. I can't recall if that wheel was available with multiple offsets in the 17" size (can't seem to locate the 17" version on the Discount Tire website), so I would urge to you check the backspace on the wheel. Measure from the back lip of the wheel to the mounting surface. If its 5.2" or less, you should be good to go with 285s without the need for any spacers. I imagine its probably in the 4.5-4.75" range, but best to check. Of course, it may just be listed on the side of the box. haha.
There is bunch of numbers on the back
would love if you can guide me a bit
but looks like it's 4.4.4.5
__________________
2017 - JKU - Sahara - Granite crystal - 3.73 - Stock.
isaacimage is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacimage View Post
There is bunch of numbers on the back
would love if you can guide me a bit
but looks like it's 4.4.4.5
Ya know what.....I was on mobile so it was showing a pic from the thread I linked a few posts ago, and it was of a MB72 wheel. I mistakenly thought you had posted that image. I'm sure I confused the hell out of you. lol. Sorry about that.

The wheel you posted appears to be off a Winter Edition JK. This means that it is 17x7.5 and has a 6.25" backspace. So wheel spacers will most likely be needed to avoid rubbing when turning lock to lock.

Just for future reference, measuring the backspace is really simple. Just lay something straight across the rear lip of the wheel. Then measure from the mounting surface to the piece you placed across the lip.
isaacimage likes this.
__________________
-Jeff-
'17 JKU Big Bear Build Thread | Rancho 2" Progressive Kit | Teraflex Sport LCAs | 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
4fit is offline   Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:09 AM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
isaacimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
Ya know what.....I was on mobile so it was showing a pic from the thread I linked a few posts ago, and it was of a MB72 wheel. I mistakenly thought you had posted that image. I'm sure I confused the hell out of you. lol. Sorry about that.

The wheel you posted appears to be off a Winter Edition JK. This means that it is 17x7.5 and has a 6.25" backspace. So wheel spacers will most likely be needed to avoid rubbing when turning lock to lock.

Just for future reference, measuring the backspace is really simple. Just lay something straight across the rear lip of the wheel. Then measure from the mounting surface to the piece you placed across the lip.
Ohh wow you know everything Jeff ))
how do I know what size of the spacers to get 1.25" or 1.5" ?
__________________
2017 - JKU - Sahara - Granite crystal - 3.73 - Stock.
isaacimage is offline   Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:35 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
isaacimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
Ya know what.....I was on mobile so it was showing a pic from the thread I linked a few posts ago, and it was of a MB72 wheel. I mistakenly thought you had posted that image. I'm sure I confused the hell out of you. lol. Sorry about that.

The wheel you posted appears to be off a Winter Edition JK. This means that it is 17x7.5 and has a 6.25" backspace. So wheel spacers will most likely be needed to avoid rubbing when turning lock to lock.

Just for future reference, measuring the backspace is really simple. Just lay something straight across the rear lip of the wheel. Then measure from the mounting surface to the piece you placed across the lip.
Ohh wow you know everything Jeff ))
how do I know what size of the spacers to get 1.25" or 1.5" ?
__________________
2017 - JKU - Sahara - Granite crystal - 3.73 - Stock.
isaacimage is offline   Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacimage View Post
Ohh wow you know everything Jeff ))
how do I know what size of the spacers to get 1.25" or 1.5" ?
Well, I wouldn't go that far. hahaha.

With 285s, either of those spacers will work. I personally prefer the look of 1.5" better and went with SpiderTrax on my new JKU. Will be running 285/75/17 Ridge Grapplers most likely.
__________________
-Jeff-
'17 JKU Big Bear Build Thread | Rancho 2" Progressive Kit | Teraflex Sport LCAs | 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
4fit is offline   Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
isaacimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 35
Thank you so much "4fit"
Just did it

old 255/75 R18
New 285/70 R17 (No Lift, stock wheels + 1.5" spider trax spacers


Click image for larger version

Name:	Niagara on the lake The Hare Wine co Wedding Rita and Mike_2657.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	3741793

Click image for larger version

Name:	Niagara on the lake The Hare Wine co Wedding Rita and Mike_2658.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	3741801
terpsmandan, 4fit and Wrang0tang like this.
__________________
2017 - JKU - Sahara - Granite crystal - 3.73 - Stock.
isaacimage is offline   Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacimage View Post
Thank you so much "4fit"
Just did it

old 255/75 R18
New 285/70 R17 (No Lift, stock wheels + 1.5" spider trax spacers


Attachment 3741793

Attachment 3741801
Well that was quick. Hahaha. Looks great.

On an unrelated note, I have to shoot a wedding this weekend. I have much respect for your folks that shoot weddings for a living. This will be my third (all for friends) and hopefully my last. Haha. I'm primarily a landscape guy.

Very good looking portfolio btw.
isaacimage likes this.
__________________
-Jeff-
'17 JKU Big Bear Build Thread | Rancho 2" Progressive Kit | Teraflex Sport LCAs | 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
4fit is offline   Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
isaacimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
Well that was quick. Hahaha. Looks great.

On an unrelated note, I have to shoot a wedding this weekend. I have much respect for your folks that shoot weddings for a living. This will be my third (all for friends) and hopefully my last. Haha. I'm primarily a landscape guy.

Very good looking portfolio btw.
Thank you glad you like it
You more than Welcome to find me on FB as well
George Kash
Thank you once again for your help
__________________
2017 - JKU - Sahara - Granite crystal - 3.73 - Stock.
isaacimage is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
isaacimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 35
Ok so after few thousands of drive here is a few my thoughts.
1 - The drive feels a bit softer, I personally prefer more firm ride
2 - The MPG 14.5 instead of 13.5
3 - The original size BTW feels quicker

Is it normal in terms of MPG?
Speedometer looks like still accurate with no any correction
I have axle - 3.73
__________________
2017 - JKU - Sahara - Granite crystal - 3.73 - Stock.
isaacimage is offline   Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
terpsmandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Penn Yan, NY
Posts: 1,915
They are close in height so the speedo SB the same. Looks great with those rims.
isaacimage likes this.
terpsmandan is offline   Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
isaacimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
They are close in height so the speedo SB the same. Looks great with those rims.
Thank you so much ))
__________________
2017 - JKU - Sahara - Granite crystal - 3.73 - Stock.
isaacimage is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Tyrantresister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 123
Are you claiming you gained 1 MPG going up to 285s? Do gas receipt math, the CPU estimated MPG will be off due to different size than stock.

Tyrantresister is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.