Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer! - Page 74 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree112Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #2191
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 65
Here’s a picture of the ‘poke’



Jeeperss is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:26 PM   #2192
Jeeper
 
les.warden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperss View Post
Thanks to everyone who helped me out in this thread! I finally got the wheels and tires put on today and I can't stress how happy I am with the set up! It's absolutely what I imagine. On to the pics;









Now that’s one sharp ride! Great looking wheel/tire combo setup.

Well, now that you’ve started dumping $$, time to upgrade your rubber band hood clasps. Here’s mine. Have fun!!

les.warden is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #2193
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 65
Haha that's funny. When I was at the shop waiting for the install I saw some metal clamps there. The thought crossed my mind to pick it up but I refrained myself. I am sure this won't be my last mod. I already have the Bestop soft top delivered and waiting for install and JW Speaker Headlights and LED signals waiting to be delivered. Then I got to stop going too crazy mods wise and wait for a bit. Haha.
Jeeperss is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-04-2019, 11:04 PM   #2194
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Now that’s one sharp ride! Great looking wheel/tire combo setup.

Well, now that you’ve started dumping $$, time to upgrade your rubber band hood clasps. Here’s mine. Have fun!!
Oh and just for reference as you mentioned earlier, I ordered the Procal as well in order to adjust the speedometer and gear ratio. After the tire install I tested the speed with the speedometer app and I didn't notice ANY speed discrepancies at all. So I may have wasted the $ on procal as my speed of the Jeep was pretty much within 1 or 2 km of the app on my phone. I guess I will still use the pro cal for gear ratio thing but at least from the speed perspective it didn't seem like my Jeep's speedometer got affected due to the tire change.
les.warden likes this.
Jeeperss is offline   Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #2195
Jeeper
 
jerryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 36
It was time to replace the tires on my 2016 Sport S. I went with BFG KO2 P275 70R 17.
They fit perfectly on the stock aluminum rims. The first thing I did after leaving Tire Pros was ride to the Freetown Forest and hit my favorite trails there. These tires are awesome and should be an option when you buy a new Wrangler. Much better than the Goodyear P255 75R 17 stock tires. If you have a Sport S you won't have any problems with this tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myjeep.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	4156307  
mikes911, les.warden and j4life like this.
jerryn is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #2196
Jeeper
 
jethro65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 66
OK, so I hate to be the umpteenth person to bump this thread, but I'm new to the whole wrangler game and would like to get a sanity check before I proceed. So right now my 2016 JKU 75th Edition is basically stock. I'm gonna need some tires soon (thinking either KO2s or Wildpeaks I think), and I'd like to get away from the stock 245/75/17s. I intend to keep the anniversary wheels, as I can't justify swapping out perfectly good wheels (as much as I'd like to...plus they match the bumpers and trim), especially since I'll be dropping at least around a grand on the tires.

Anniversary wheels if I'm not mistaken are 17x7.5 with 5.5 BS. I've been trying to figure out a good tire size, but I think I'm keeping my choices limited by keeping the stock wheels. I was THINKING about just putting on some 265/70/17s and calling it a day. That way I'd be at the same diameter but they'd have a little extra width to them.

I don't think I want to go full lift at this time (maybe when it's closer to being paid off...), but I was considering tossing on a leveling kit for the time being (the TF kit(s) seem popular choices). If I do that, I wouldn't mind trying to run a ~33; probably something like the seemingly popular 285/70/17.

So after all that intro, I guess what I'm trying to verify is, if I wanted to run the 285/70s on my anniversary wheels, I'd almost certainly need wheel spacers to avoid inner rubbing, correct? I am trying to avoid having to deal with spacers, which I think is what's making things difficult for me (along with keeping the wheels).

I guess I should also say that as of now the JK is my DD, mostly highway, but I'd like to be at least light trail-ready. Also, if the 285/70 won't really work out for my conditions, do you guys have any other suggestions for a good size I could run (the leveling kit is likely, FYI)?

Sorry for the wall of text; just trying to figure this all out. Thanks in advance!
jethro65 is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #2197
I drive Papa Smurf

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Pressurized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 13,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro65 View Post
OK, so I hate to be the umpteenth person to bump this thread, but I'm new to the whole wrangler game and would like to get a sanity check before I proceed. So right now my 2016 JKU 75th Edition is basically stock. I'm gonna need some tires soon (thinking either KO2s or Wildpeaks I think), and I'd like to get away from the stock 245/75/17s. I intend to keep the anniversary wheels, as I can't justify swapping out perfectly good wheels (as much as I'd like to...plus they match the bumpers and trim), especially since I'll be dropping at least around a grand on the tires.

Anniversary wheels if I'm not mistaken are 17x7.5 with 5.5 BS. I've been trying to figure out a good tire size, but I think I'm keeping my choices limited by keeping the stock wheels. I was THINKING about just putting on some 265/70/17s and calling it a day. That way I'd be at the same diameter but they'd have a little extra width to them.

I don't think I want to go full lift at this time (maybe when it's closer to being paid off...), but I was considering tossing on a leveling kit for the time being (the TF kit(s) seem popular choices). If I do that, I wouldn't mind trying to run a ~33; probably something like the seemingly popular 285/70/17.

So after all that intro, I guess what I'm trying to verify is, if I wanted to run the 285/70s on my anniversary wheels, I'd almost certainly need wheel spacers to avoid inner rubbing, correct? I am trying to avoid having to deal with spacers, which I think is what's making things difficult for me (along with keeping the wheels).

I guess I should also say that as of now the JK is my DD, mostly highway, but I'd like to be at least light trail-ready. Also, if the 285/70 won't really work out for my conditions, do you guys have any other suggestions for a good size I could run (the leveling kit is likely, FYI)?

Sorry for the wall of text; just trying to figure this all out. Thanks in advance!
All of the factory wheels are 6.2 back spacing as far as I know... So to run the 285's, you will likely need to run at least the 1.25" wheel adapters/spacers. They work fine, I ran them for 2 years and my daughter has had them for 3 years now and my son in law for 2 now also.

If you want a 33 but want to stay with stock wheels and no spacers, the best option is the 255/80-17. It's 1/4" taller than the 285/70 but 1" narrower... That keeps from rubbing the suspension. Taller but same width as stock tires...

Some good tires in that size too... More aggressive would be the Mastercraft CXT and the Nitto Ridge Grappler and great all around tires the Cooper S/T Maxx and the Toyo ATII.

Good luck!
__________________
2012 JKU Sahara - Pro Comp LED Headlights - PRS Audio mod- SWS - GraBars - Bestop Cargo Cover

Papa Smurf - Mopar 2" Frankenlift - Teraflex Falcon Shocks - RE TB/Brackets - JKS mount/Bilstein stabilizer - Rugged Ridge XHD bumper- Yukon Gears - G2 Diff Covers - Pro Comp 8186 - Milestar Patagonia 35's - Smittybilt Rear Tire Mount - Hi-Lift

- TORQ Locker - 1310 Driveshaft - Air Bags - Full Core 4x4 Control Arms and Track Bars
Pressurized is offline   Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #2198
Jeeper
 
jethro65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 66
Thanks for the info @Pressurized . I think I've been overthinking it. At this point, I'm not even sure if I really need or want the leveling kit; I think I might just want it because lots of people are running it.

For now I think I have it narrowed down to:
1) Just run 285s with spacers, and go ahead and level for less than 200 bucks.
2) Just stick with stock size for now (but a better tire). Once I decide I'm ready/able to lift, I'll just do it all then and do it right. I may even still do the level with the stock size tires; since it's not much of an overall lift, I wouldn't think the stock 31s will look THAT much different/smaller in the well than they do now.


Another quick thing though, regarding the Bilsteins we were discussing, as I think I still want to swap out my shocks also. So you were saying the smallest "lift" versions of the 5100 (1.5-3" I think?) would work with the TF 1.5 level. Is that true all the way around, front AND rear? I thought I had seen another conversation saying that because the back is only a 1" addition, that the 5100 would not work for the rear?

Is there a specific reason that I would run those vs the stock sized 4600s? Is it just a better ride potential because of the additional travel length?

And again just to clarify, we are talking about these ones in particular, yes?

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/s...as-shock-front

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/s...gas-shock-rear
jethro65 is offline   Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #2199
I drive Papa Smurf

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Pressurized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 13,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro65 View Post
Thanks for the info @Pressurized . I think I've been overthinking it. At this point, I'm not even sure if I really need or want the leveling kit; I think I might just want it because lots of people are running it.

For now I think I have it narrowed down to:
1) Just run 285s with spacers, and go ahead and level for less than 200 bucks.
2) Just stick with stock size for now (but a better tire). Once I decide I'm ready/able to lift, I'll just do it all then and do it right. I may even still do the level with the stock size tires; since it's not much of an overall lift, I wouldn't think the stock 31s will look THAT much different/smaller in the well than they do now.


Another quick thing though, regarding the Bilsteins we were discussing, as I think I still want to swap out my shocks also. So you were saying the smallest "lift" versions of the 5100 (1.5-3" I think?) would work with the TF 1.5 level. Is that true all the way around, front AND rear? I thought I had seen another conversation saying that because the back is only a 1" addition, that the 5100 would not work for the rear?

Is there a specific reason that I would run those vs the stock sized 4600s? Is it just a better ride potential because of the additional travel length?

And again just to clarify, we are talking about these ones in particular, yes?

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/s...as-shock-front

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/s...gas-shock-rear
You can run either... The 4600's and 5100's are basically the same inside other than length. With the 4600's you keep your stock suspension travel, you just gain up travel and lose down travel and you don't need to use the bump stops that come with the leveling kit unless you add shock extensions.

The 5100 is 25" extended, the stock Rubicon shock is 23-1/4" extended... So the delta is 3/4" after the 1" spacer, we can handle that.

Leveling kit is easy and with 285's and some wheel spacers, they look great.
jethro65 likes this.
__________________
2012 JKU Sahara - Pro Comp LED Headlights - PRS Audio mod- SWS - GraBars - Bestop Cargo Cover

Papa Smurf - Mopar 2" Frankenlift - Teraflex Falcon Shocks - RE TB/Brackets - JKS mount/Bilstein stabilizer - Rugged Ridge XHD bumper- Yukon Gears - G2 Diff Covers - Pro Comp 8186 - Milestar Patagonia 35's - Smittybilt Rear Tire Mount - Hi-Lift

- TORQ Locker - 1310 Driveshaft - Air Bags - Full Core 4x4 Control Arms and Track Bars
Pressurized is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #2200
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
picked up a used 2017 75th anniversary two door a couple months back, and was thinking about changing the 245/75/17 stock tires and was wandering if I went to a 255/75/17 would I have to reflash for it or would I be good, have no lift and not planning to get any either. just want a slightly more aggressive A/t tire. I know that other Sahara's came with the 255's stock so I thought it might be fine but figured would ask to make sure.
jshaf is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:04 PM   #2201
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Have a 2018 jku sport 255 75 17 tires 17/58 springs
36 inches to fender lip
Bought some mammoth 88s last year that are in the cellar
Think they are 4.75 bs and 23 pounds
Mavis has the Yoko geo in 285 75 17 for 150 a pop

Before I wanted a KO2 or a Toyo AT2 but this price is hard to pass up
Any problems with wheel /tire combo
chuckpilegis is offline   Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #2202
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckpilegis View Post
Mavis has the Yoko geo in 285 75 17 for 150 a pop
I will look into these . . .
Thanx!
rexx009 is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #2203
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Yoko Geolandar GO15 - limited size availability...

Great thread! I have pored over it for hours, but can’t quite find the answer I’m looking for.

I have a 2015 JK Unlimited. It’s what is called an Overland here in the UK. 18” wheels, no lift or spacers. I’d like to fit Yoko Geolandars (for all sorts of reasons!) but can only find them in 285/60/R18.

Will I need spacers to make these work, or will they be fine without?

Will they fill my arches better than the stock 255/70/R18s..?

Thanks in advance.
SilverWinterSku is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #2204
Jeeper
 
hailchaser2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Festus, MO
Posts: 195
I just added flat fenders and liners yesterday, I have tried to figure out what all I need to do for 35" tires, but my brain is starting to hurt. I figured it would just be easier to ask here.

I am keeping these factory wheels, what size spacers do I need for the bigger tires?

Will the bigger tires have issues wheeling disconnected without a lift?

Sidenote: I might get a 2.5" lift when I get the new tires, just depends on how much I feel like spending when that time comes, but I'm ready to go ahead and add the spacers now.

Thanks

https://www.wranglerforum.com/attach...1&d=1565227898
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9239.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	4168497  
hailchaser2 is online now   Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #2205
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressurized View Post
All of the factory wheels are 6.2 back spacing as far as I know... So to run the 285's, you will likely need to run at least the 1.25" wheel adapters/spacers. They work fine, I ran them for 2 years and my daughter has had them for 3 years now and my son in law for 2 now also.

If you want a 33 but want to stay with stock wheels and no spacers, the best option is the 255/80-17. It's 1/4" taller than the 285/70 but 1" narrower... That keeps from rubbing the suspension. Taller but same width as stock tires...

Some good tires in that size too... More aggressive would be the Mastercraft CXT and the Nitto Ridge Grappler and great all around tires the Cooper S/T Maxx and the Toyo ATII.

Good luck!
I have also read Anniversary wheels if I'm not are 17x7.5 with 5.5 BS. I’m interested as well as keeping these wheels and going larger in tire size but really tint want to add spacers. Looking for larger option and willing to pop in some larger springs. INC currently 14/56 on 2018 freedom edition. Looking for options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro65 View Post
OK, so I hate to be the umpteenth person to bump this thread, but I'm new to the whole wrangler game and would like to get a sanity check before I proceed. So right now my 2016 JKU 75th Edition is basically stock. I'm gonna need some tires soon (thinking either KO2s or Wildpeaks I think), and I'd like to get away from the stock 245/75/17s. I intend to keep the anniversary wheels, as I can't justify swapping out perfectly good wheels (as much as I'd like to...plus they match the bumpers and trim), especially since I'll be dropping at least around a grand on the tires.

Anniversary wheels if I'm not mistaken are 17x7.5 with 5.5 BS. I've been trying to figure out a good tire size, but I think I'm keeping my choices limited by keeping the stock wheels. I was THINKING about just putting on some 265/70/17s and calling it a day. That way I'd be at the same diameter but they'd have a little extra width to them.

I don't think I want to go full lift at this time (maybe when it's closer to being paid off...), but I was considering tossing on a leveling kit for the time being (the TF kit(s) seem popular choices). If I do that, I wouldn't mind trying to run a ~33; probably something like the seemingly popular 285/70/17.

So after all that intro, I guess what I'm trying to verify is, if I wanted to run the 285/70s on my anniversary wheels, I'd almost certainly need wheel spacers to avoid inner rubbing, correct? I am trying to avoid having to deal with spacers, which I think is what's making things difficult for me (along with keeping the wheels).

I guess I should also say that as of now the JK is my DD, mostly highway, but I'd like to be at least light trail-ready. Also, if the 285/70 won't really work out for my conditions, do you guys have any other suggestions for a good size I could run (the leveling kit is likely, FYI)?

Sorry for the wall of text; just trying to figure this all out. Thanks in advance!
Loc123 is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #2206
Jeeper
 
jethro65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc123 View Post
I have also read Anniversary wheels if I'm not are 17x7.5 with 5.5 BS. I’m interested as well as keeping these wheels and going larger in tire size but really tint want to add spacers. Looking for larger option and willing to pop in some larger springs. INC currently 14/56 on 2018 freedom edition. Looking for options.
Consensus seems to be that all factory wheels are 6.2[5] BS, so I'll trust the veteran enthusiasts here.

As far as bigger tires, the common answer for larger with no spacers, on factory wheels, is going to be 255/80-17 (~33x10 pizza cutter). I am going to be putting this size on some time this week if all goes well.

jethro65 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Angled Tire Carrier Mazriel JK General Discussion Forum 7 03-04-2016 03:47 PM
Just a commentary on odd bolt sizes in my CJ.... Renaissance_Redneck General Jeep Discussion 1 02-28-2012 12:33 PM
Stock bumper add ons OBXJEEPER TJ General Discussion Forum 6 02-28-2012 11:12 AM
Just a commentary on odd bolt sizes in my CJ.... Renaissance_Redneck CJ General Discussion Forum 0 02-28-2012 09:39 AM
AZ: Selling Stock 2012 tires/wheels! $550 OBO Garrwing84 Classifieds Archive 0 02-28-2012 09:30 AM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC