M/t mtz - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
KidRock171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,166
M/t mtz

Opinions and experience?

KidRock171 is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
kpdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Buckeye State O H I O
Posts: 863
Had em, wasn't impressed for the price. Only got 26k on them and they were shot. Great looking tire just not a good choice for a dd in my opinion. Great in the mud, just so so in the snow and bad on wet roads. If you're mostly off road you will probably like them. Just my opinion though.

__________________



You have never truly lived, until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.
kpdiver is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Irongrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 2,800
Send a message via AIM to Irongrave
if you do a lot of rock crawling their are better options for the money. they don't stick the best to rocks even when heated up a little bit.
__________________
4421
Irongrave is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
KidRock171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,166
As the time draws closer I'm doing more and more research to pull me away from the km2 so I wanted to look into the mtz cuz they're the same construction but come with sipes where as id have to get my center lugs sipes afterwards on the km2. So any advice for or against either tire is welcome. Mileage Is a concern. DD.
KidRock171 is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
kpdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Buckeye State O H I O
Posts: 863
I went with Goodyear DuraTrac's this spring. Nice looking tire and love them so far. Little thinner sidewall so if you're running trails just be aware of that. $100 rebate from Tread Lightly as well. I also got a $40 rebate from Goodyear and another $50 rebate from Discount Tire when I bought mine in March.

Lots of sipes in this tread so wet and snowy roads won't be a problem.
__________________



You have never truly lived, until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.
kpdiver is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
KidRock171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,166
Came close to the duratracs. But decided I wanted no sacrifice in off road ability. So I'm looking for "off road" tires instead of all terrain.
KidRock171 is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Irongrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 2,800
Send a message via AIM to Irongrave
KM2s have good sipes in the center you wont need to get them cut. I've had no issues in rain or snow with both of sets.

this was taken in about 16inchs of fresh snow they dug right threw it no issues (open front locked rear 32 11.5sr on 15x7in wheels at 15psi
__________________
4421
Irongrave is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
KidRock171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,166
I try to stay out of the mud. Cuz all it does is ruin stuff.
But sometimes I can't help myself.
I enjoy exploring the vertical.
KidRock171 is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
KidRock171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,166
Bump just for funzies
KidRock171 is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
Commercial MemberX

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,641
Pop has has several sets of MTZ's and he loves them. I usually run a Cooper STT on my stuff and for the money I feel there is nothing better.
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
KidRock171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,166
Those are an option to. The tread design is very similar to the mtz
KidRock171 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
SquareLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 89
I run a set on mine and couldn't be happier with the offroad performance. Only put about 4,000 miles of street driving on them over the last 6 years though. I run the 35x12.50x15 size. Locked rear, open front. At 10 psi, they stick to the rocks like glue, even when wet. much stickier than the mtrs, bfs, and mud Grapplers that I have run on other vehicles.
SquareLite is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
KidRock171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareLite
I run a set on mine and couldn't be happier with the offroad performance. Only put about 4,000 miles of street driving on them over the last 6 years though. I run the 35x12.50x15 size. Locked rear, open front. At 10 psi, they stick to the rocks like glue, even when wet. much stickier than the mtrs, bfs, and mud Grapplers that I have run on other vehicles.
Which tire are you describing? Many have been mentioned. I'm assuming it's the mtz or the stt
KidRock171 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CRAWLORADO
Posts: 75
First. Idk how anyone could say the MTZs have bad tread wear and if they suck in the rocks I GOTTA try what they got. Because I have 28,000 miles and 2 years on my MTZs and I have about a full inch of knobs left. Intact. I'm thinking ill probably get about 50,000 miles out of these. And yes my jeep is my DD. Secondly. I've done several 3 and 4 trails at SUPERLIFTS ORV, and four trails here in Colorado, including Holy Cross. I have 35x12.50x15 MTZs on 15x10 rims and I run 12 pounds trail pressure and I have beat the snot out of these tires. Puncture resistance is excellent. And it grips like glue compared to my buddies pro comps. On road they have been relatively quiet, ride quality is awesome, and I've had no issues in heavy rain. I'm sorry. My opinion.... the MTZs are an AWESOME tire. The Cooper mentioned above looks like a really good tire as well and was an option when I was looking. I included a pic of my MTZs on the trail last Friday and as I said I have about 28k on them right now. Great tire.
BFYTW is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
KidRock171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFYTW
First. Idk how anyone could say the MTZs have bad tread wear and if they suck in the rocks I GOTTA try what they got. Because I have 28,000 miles and 2 years on my MTZs and I have about a full inch of knobs left. Intact. I'm thinking ill probably get about 50,000 miles out of these. And yes my jeep is my DD. Secondly. I've done several 3 and 4 trails at SUPERLIFTS ORV, and four trails here in Colorado, including Holy Cross. I have 35x12.50x15 MTZs on 15x10 rims and I run 12 pounds trail pressure and I have beat the snot out of these tires. Puncture resistance is excellent. And it grips like glue compared to my buddies pro comps. On road they have been relatively quiet, ride quality is awesome, and I've had no issues in heavy rain. I'm sorry. My opinion.... the MTZs are an AWESOME tire. The Cooper mentioned above looks like a really good tire as well and was an option when I was looking. I included a pic of my MTZs on the trail last Friday and as I said I have about 28k on them right now. Great tire.
Nice bumper. Thanks for the info. How much does an mtz weigh? Unsprung weight is a big deal to me. (improper gearing)
KidRock171 is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CRAWLORADO
Posts: 75
Idk weights but as I recall u can find that info online during your price/tire search. I got mine from national tire and as I recall the price on mtz was competitive to other selections. I know I went 15 inch in a world of more rim people. To me paying more for.heavier rims and tires for something I was gonna off road is just stupid.
I have owned 4 differently 4 wheel drives and used Mickey Thompson original Bajas, BF mud TAs, Yokohama mud diggers, buckshots, and a few others. These are the absolute best all around tires I've owned. I've only had them in mud once by accident and they did their job well. (I hate mud) but I did see a magazine recently with a mud tire shootout where I believe these placed second. Think the new Kevlar goodyears placed first. Anyway. Google the weight thing. If u can't find anything call one of the online tire places they could tell ya. They ship enough of them. Good luck with whatever u choose. I won't lie. I won't buy these again. But that's only because I wanna try the new goodyears. I'm very interested in those.
BFYTW is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Thread Starter
  #17
Jeeper
 
KidRock171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,166
Thanks. The two seem very competitive. It will probably come down to weight and price.
KidRock171 is offline   Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
SquareLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRock171

Which tire are you describing? Many have been mentioned. I'm assuming it's the mtz or the stt
Mtz. I watched a guy at Sierra trek on fordyce two days ago do great on them as well. He said he had 15,000 on them
And they look awesome. Fordyce is super nasty. It was super tore up this year. On the rubicons roughest days, it is still way easier than fordyce in good condition.
SquareLite is offline   Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CRAWLORADO
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareLite

Mtz. I watched a guy at Sierra trek on fordyce two days ago do great on them as well. He said he had 15,000 on them
And they look awesome. Fordyce is super nasty. It was super tore up this year. On the rubicons roughest days, it is still way easier than fordyce in good condition.
Have to agree. Great tire and they do look awesome. Love the way the large side biters look and the side biters really come to play in the rocks.
BFYTW is offline   Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Thread Starter
  #20
Jeeper
 
KidRock171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,166
Price difference is about 15 a tire. So it's down to weight. Buying tomorrow.

KidRock171 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.