pulling the trigger - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
pulling the trigger

So after months of saving, I've finally decided on Goodyear duratracs (thanks xj for the added info) but before I pull the trigger I gotta admit I'm a bit hesitant... I want 33s I bought procomp wheels (ill add the exact ones later when I remember) 15x8s. I've triple checked they'll fit. I have 3.21 gears on my 2007 jk x.
The more I read the more nervous I'm getting at first ive heard there isn't much power difference, and there isn't much loss of mpg. My biggest problem will be getting the speedometer fixed. I can deal with that. However the more I read im finding out about a huge loss of power and mpg, anyone running this set up, or know someone who is that will be able to tell me their input? Thanks folks!





__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeepgurl87 View Post
So after months of saving, I've finally decided on Goodyear duratracs (thanks xj for the added info) but before I pull the trigger I gotta admit I'm a bit hesitant... I want 33s I bought procomp wheels (ill add the exact ones later when I remember) 15x8s. I've triple checked they'll fit. I have 3.21 gears on my 2007 jk x.
The more I read the more nervous I'm getting at first ive heard there isn't much power difference, and there isn't much loss of mpg. My biggest problem will be getting the speedometer fixed. I can deal with that. However the more I read im finding out about a huge loss of power and mpg, anyone running this set up, or know someone who is that will be able to tell me their input? Thanks folks!
Are you running the stock 32" tires currently? If so, going with 33" Duratracs (which, like most tires, aren't REALLY the listed 33" size), you should be okay.

You WILL take an mpg hit, but it shouldn't be too bad. If your 15" rims are alloy, your tire/wheel combo might even be lighter than your stockers. Somebody's who is running a similar setup should be able to confirm this.

As for your gearing, going from the stock 32's to 33" DT's shouldn't cost you too much power, either. You might have to downshift to climb a hill or pass cars on the freeway, but otherwise you won't notice much difference.

Use the tire calculator in the link below to determine how "off" your speedometer will be after the change. It ain't gonna be much.

And your rig will look badass with DuraTracs, IMHO.

Tire Size Calculator - Discount Tire Direct

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
Awesome thank you!



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
TJNewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Robertsdale,AL (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 1,827
I have the Duratracs 33x12.50x15s, they really measure 32x11.50x15 on 15x8" wheels. I' ve got a TJ sport with 3.07 gears and a 3spd auto, I really don't see a power loss, but I did lose some mpg's I was getting 19mpg on my stock 30x9.50x15s, and now I'm getting about 16mpg. I really don't think you're gonna see much difference in either fuel or power loss, and you're gonna love the Duratracs.

They're awesome on the jeep! they feel like I'm driving on a street tire when I'm on the the road, but when I'm off road they just power through everything! 2 days ago (I was by myself) I found some 4 wheelin places and tried them out, with the recent rains the trails were pretty washed out and some of them turned out to be kinda deep, I got into an area where I didn't really want to try to cross, but I couldn't get turned around so I put it 4 wheel hi and went for it at a slow but constant speed, it was like driving down into a bowl and back up and out the other side. the water was almost to the top of the tires at the deepest point. The tires didn't slip, the jeep went right through like it was nothing. I was Totally impressed!!
TJNewbie is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
That's what I wanna hear! Thanks!



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Terryhinsb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 105
I'm in the same boat! Just about to pull the trigger on the 33" duratracs... just waiting for my wheels to arrive.

I have to say, the 33s really being 32s is dissapointing...I still have in the back of my mind that I should go with the Cooper 295's instead of the duratrac 285's. It will be such a relief to get them on so I can stop obsessing over the decision!!
Terryhinsb is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
My thoughts exactly. Cept, I've had my wheels for 3 months now... Lol I have either 29s or 30s on now. I can't remember



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Terryhinsb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 105
I'm going to spend the $150 for the Procal to compensate for the tire size change... seems like money well spent.
Terryhinsb is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
TJNewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Robertsdale,AL (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 1,827
Here's a set of Duratracs 33x12.50x15s on a JK with some wheels with backspacing to push them out. Granted it's not a pretty green like your is, but it'll give you a good idea how it will look.
TJNewbie is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
TJNewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Robertsdale,AL (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 1,827
If you're going with a taller rim like 16" or 17" the tire size 285/75R16 will be bigger. Goodyear shows it to be 33.1x11.3x16 on a 16x8" rim
TJNewbie is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
I'll admit they look sick, which is what sold me. I just wanna make sure it'll all work out ok, I don't like buyers remorse.



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
Oilfield Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
The Toolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,294
When you get them installed, we demand PICS!!!

__________________
94 Jeep YJ Wrangler SE / 4.0L I-6 Engine ---- SOLD in February of 2014 ---- Now I am running a Frankenstiened tube chassis Rock Buggy

LONEWOLF 4X4

The American Outdoor Enthusiast
The Toolman is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeepgurl87 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Cept, I've had my wheels for 3 months now... Lol I have either 29s or 30s on now. I can't remember
I was assuming 32's. Hmm. So you're power loss will be a little more noticeable than what I said in my first post, and your mpg difference, as well. Like I said, it'll be most noticeable going up hills and passing on the freeway.

Still, I'd do it.

The day you drive in your first epic snowfall other drivers will shy away from your green thing, cuz you'll be behind the wheel just laughing your ass off at the awesome traction of your shiny new DT's.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Terryhinsb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNewbie View Post
If you're going with a taller rim like 16" or 17" the tire size 285/75R16 will be bigger. Goodyear shows it to be 33.1x11.3x16 on a 16x8" rim
Yeah, I'm doing 17" wheels... 32.8"...close enough, I guess.
Terryhinsb is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toolman
When you get them installed, we demand PICS!!!

Deal.



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Thread Starter
  #17
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf

I was assuming 32's. Hmm. So you're power loss will be a little more noticeable than what I said in my first post, and your mpg difference, as well. Like I said, it'll be most noticeable going up hills and passing on the freeway.

Still, I'd do it.

The day you drive in your first epic snowfall other drivers will shy away from your green thing, cuz you'll be behind the wheel just laughing your ass off at the awesome traction of your shiny new DT's.
Hahaha awesome. As long as i get like 15 mpg I can survive. 12 I'll cry. Lol ill get over it. But ill cry.



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeepgurl87 View Post
Hahaha awesome. As long as i get like 15 mpg I can survive. 12 I'll cry. Lol ill get over it. But ill cry.


12?

I'm averaging just under 16mpg with a 3" lift, heavy additions inside and out, and 315/16 DT's. And 4 doors. PLUS, I drive like a carjacker. You should be in good shape.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf



12?

I'm averaging just under 16mpg with a 3" lift, heavy additions inside and out, and 315/16 DT's. And 4 doors. PLUS, I drive like a carjacker. You should be in good shape.
I was just shy of 17 average off the lot Went to about 15 after the tires lift and winch weight. Got the 2 back when I started driving smarter.

Needless to say I'm usually closer to 15 than 17. LOL
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #20
Oilfield Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
The Toolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeepgurl87 View Post
Hahaha awesome. As long as i get like 15 mpg I can survive. 12 I'll cry. Lol ill get over it. But ill cry.
Next mod ... gears. I'm going to be running 4.10:1 gears with my 33's I'm getting next month
__________________
94 Jeep YJ Wrangler SE / 4.0L I-6 Engine ---- SOLD in February of 2014 ---- Now I am running a Frankenstiened tube chassis Rock Buggy

LONEWOLF 4X4

The American Outdoor Enthusiast
The Toolman is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Thread Starter
  #21
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf



12?

I'm averaging just under 16mpg with a 3" lift, heavy additions inside and out, and 315/16 DT's. And 4 doors. PLUS, I drive like a carjacker. You should be in good shape.
Phew. Lol.



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Thread Starter
  #22
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toolman

Next mod ... gears. I'm going to be running 4.10:1 gears with my 33's I'm getting next month
That's on my 'eventually ' list.



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post
I was just shy of 17 average off the lot Went to about 15 after the tires lift and winch weight. Got the 2 back when I started driving smarter.

Needless to say I'm usually closer to 15 than 17. LOL
I drive smart. Nail the skinny pedal to the floor, and use my horn on any shrivs with walkers who even THINK about stepping off the curb.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #24
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf

I drive smart. Nail the skinny pedal to the floor, and use my horn on any shrivs with walkers who even THINK about stepping off the curb.
I'm thinking the weight of those stupid brake calipers is hosing my mpg. May just toss em.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Thread Starter
  #25
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
Are there tricks or tips that can help w the mpg or is it a lost Cause?
Also my dads forcing me to ask, with the additional height the tires will give me will I need to adjust my head lights?



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #26
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeepgurl87 View Post
Are there tricks or tips that can help w the mpg or is it a lost Cause?
Also my dads forcing me to ask, with the additional height the tires will give me will I need to adjust my head lights?
You can always modify your driving habits (I simply choose not to ). Easier on acceleration, longer slow downs coming to stop signs and such. If you've got a manual, coasting in neutral to red lights, etc, a little longer than you might now. The rest is just diligent maintenance...changing the air filter when it needs it, spark plugs, etc.

I really don't think you'll take TOO big a hit on the mpg front, though.

You'll need to adjust your headlights, but that's so simple an amoeba could probably do it. Okay, maybe something a tad higher up on the evolutionary ladder, but still...

Here's how to do it (I'm assuming the adj screws are the same on the '07's as on my '12...no idea why they'd be different):

Park 25' from a wall, garage, etc (25' headlights to wall).

Put a piece of electrician's or painter's tape 3' up on the wall.

Turn headlights on and adjust headlights w/a T-15 torx (not one that takes different bits; a skinny, one-piece one...that way you can adjust through the gap between headlight & grill). Adj screws are at 10 o'clock on the passenger side, 2 o'clock on driver's side.

adjust until headlights are aimed just under the tape.

Done deal.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Thread Starter
  #27
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf

You can always modify your driving habits (I simply choose not to ). Easier on acceleration, longer slow downs coming to stop signs and such. If you've got a manual, coasting in neutral to red lights, etc, a little longer than you might now. The rest is just diligent maintenance...changing the air filter when it needs it, spark plugs, etc.

I really don't think you'll take TOO big a hit on the mpg front, though.

You'll need to adjust your headlights, but that's so simple an amoeba could probably do it. Okay, maybe something a tad higher up on the evolutionary ladder, but still...

Here's how to do it (I'm assuming the adj screws are the same on the '07's as on my '12...no idea why they'd be different):

Park 25' from a wall, garage, etc (25' headlights to wall).

Put a piece of electrician's or painter's tape 3' up on the wall.

Turn headlights on and adjust headlights w/a T-15 torx (not one that takes different bits; a skinny, one-piece one...that way you can adjust through the gap between headlight & grill). Adj screws are at 10 o'clock on the passenger side, 2 o'clock on driver's side.

adjust until headlights are aimed just under the tape.

Done deal.
Awesome! Thanks! Very much appreciated!



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #28
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
Man, almost forgot. The biggest thing you can do to get optimum mileage outta your Jeep, other than driving style, is to be SURE your tires are properly inflated.

For some odd reason, dealerships and even veteran tire shops will almost certainly overinflate your new DuraTracs, regardless of what you tell em. I'd bet cash that your tires will come back with 37 PSI (as per the door placard), at MINIMUM.

For 33" tires of the type you're looking at, you'll want about 30 PSI.

To find the optimum PSI for any given tires on your Jeep, do the chalk test. It's very simple, and practically foolproof.

See post #54 in this link:

Highway speed drifting

If that's not clear enough, google it...it's pretty common knowledge.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Thread Starter
  #29
Jeeper
 
greenjeepgurl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone, and I ain't back yet
Posts: 39,143
I didn't know that thanks for the heads up. I would have never checked.



__________________
Keepin' on Jeepin' on!
greenjeepgurl87 is offline   Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #30
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
Glad to help.

You're green Jeep's gonna look sweet. The first night you get her back, before you go to bed, you'll peek out the window (or into the garage, idk) at her, and then have fun wheeling dreams.

We all do it. Some just won't admit it.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a Handgun burton160w Off-Topic 112 10-22-2011 07:40 PM
Pulling Trigger on Lift, Final Advice? Jon M TJ General Discussion Forum 18 08-01-2011 11:04 PM
pulling the trigger on rims.... jeepjake711 TJ General Discussion Forum 7 07-30-2011 02:59 PM
Thinking about pulling the trigger dadunkindude JK General Discussion Forum 27 01-17-2011 08:27 PM
? regarding my dodge pulling my jeep 97TJAC General Jeep Discussion 6 03-09-2009 06:38 PM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.