Quick and Dirty . . .not Wordy! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 230
Quick and Dirty . . .not Wordy!

Guys,

2016 Willys 4-door

Comes with standard Rubi wheels and rubber . . .

Daily Driver, Tennessee, overland/trail type build rather than a crawler.


Going against the grain and want to do 33-34" tires with the 2.5" AEV lift.
  • Want to keep the wheels light! Great to know the weight versus oem Rubi(s)
  • Want flat black . . .
  • Want to not kill MPG or ride comfort/stability but still get it dirty!
  • No spacers if possible

What are some great suggestions from guys with this same type build?

15", 16" or 17" ?

Which flat black rims? Which rubber?

Read all the threads now I have a headache and hoping someone can hit the "Easy Button" for me!

Tbird911

tbird911 is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Wrangler Forum Crew

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 14,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post

What are some great suggestions from guys with this same type build?

15", 16" or 17" ?

Which flat black rims? Which rubber?

Read all the threads now I have a headache and hoping someone can hit the "Easy Button" for me!

Tbird911
Personally I would only consider a 17", reason is brake upgrades. Most all brake upgrade kits require 17" minimum wheel. If that's not in your future then I would go 15"

Tires I'd go with Duratracs.

Good luck and have fun!!

__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,474
As I recall, 33x15 are a bit cheaper than 17s. So keep that in mind. I ran 33x15 for a few years, no issues.

That being said, if you plan to hop to 35s at some point, goes 17 now to save money when you go to bigger tires as you can reuse the wheels.

Just my two cents.

Also, I run Duratracs (love them) and 33s are around 31.5 when mounted. 35s are around 34. That may help you decide on what size tire you want.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post
As I recall, 33x15 are a bit cheaper than 17s. So keep that in mind. I ran 33x15 for a few years, no issues.

That being said, if you plan to hop to 35s at some point, goes 17 now to save money when you go to bigger tires as you can reuse the wheels.

Just my two cents.

Also, I run Duratracs (love them) and 33s are around 31.5 when mounted. 35s are around 34. That may help you decide on what size tire you want.
Did you regear from the originals? I guess you did right? Auto or stick?

I'm concerned about going to 34" - 35" tires and 17 rims because of all the bad comments about what it does to performance , mpg etc. I have 3.73 gears, but with the expense of the new jeep, lift, seat covers-- you know the drill-- Im not sure how long it would be before I could gear up . . .

Its making my head hurt . . .lol

Tbird
tbird911 is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
Did you regear from the originals? I guess you did right? Auto or stick? I'm concerned about going to 34" - 35" tires and 17 rims because of all the bad comments about what it does to performance , mpg etc. I have 3.73 gears, but with the expense of the new jeep, lift, seat covers-- you know the drill-- Im not sure how long it would be before I could gear up . . . Its making my head hurt . . .lol Tbird
Ha! Welcome to the club.

Auto 3.6. I did regear to 4:56 when I went to 35s. I had 3:21 so it was pretty much a requirement.

Bigger tires do hurt mpg but you get a lot back with a regear. I get about 16 mpg and I drive it like a stole it. Could prob get 18+ if I was easier on the skinny pedal.

It's certainly and investment when going to 35s. I ran 33s for two years while planning for larger tires and saving some money.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:21 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post
Ha! Welcome to the club.

Auto 3.6. I did regear to 4:56 when I went to 35s. I had 3:21 so it was pretty much a requirement.

Bigger tires do hurt mpg but you get a lot back with a regear. I get about 16 mpg and I drive it like a stole it. Could prob get 18+ if I was easier on the skinny pedal.

It's certainly and investment when going to 35s. I ran 33s for two years while planning for larger tires and saving some money.
What does it typically cost to re-gear? from say 3.73 to 4.56. I think that I can keep my carriers without having to buy a new one for the D30 on the front.

I also dont know if I'm excited about the idea of giving up the top end mpg-- for me, this isnt a rock crawler. Its a Daily driver- and trail/overland . . .


Tbird
tbird911 is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
What does it typically cost to re-gear? from say 3.73 to 4.56. I think that I can keep my carriers without having to buy a new one for the D30 on the front. I also dont know if I'm excited about the idea of giving up the top end mpg-- for me, this isnt a rock crawler. Its a Daily driver- and trail/overland . . . Tbird
I hear ya. Mine is a DD as well.

I'd say the average cost of a regear is around $1K per axle.

__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.