Tire and Wheel Recommendation - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By sammaz
  • 1 Post By ChemE
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-29-2018, 02:46 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Tire and Wheel Recommendation

Hey guys. First post.

Just got a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK 4-door in Metallic Black. Was looking for some help to get it looking good and out of "factory-mode".

First up, wheels and tires. I don't really want to do a lift kit but I could be convinced otherwise. I do mostly street driving. What are the biggest tires I should go with? Any other initial upgrade suggestions would be great too. Also, if anyone lives in Miami and knows of the best place to take it that would be great.

Thanks for your help!

CookieMatt is offline   Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 46
I installed 33’s on my JKUS before my lift kit arrived and the front tires rubbed the fenders on full lock into the driveway up the bump. Obviously no problem after a 2.5” lift. I do like the extra width and the offset of aftermarket.

Apart from size, wheels and tires is just about personal preference and budget.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncfitton is offline   Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:44 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: South Fla
Posts: 11
I'm in the same boat. Down here we have a whole lot of road driving since the only trails seem to be mud related or near the swamp and Okeechobee. Not really in a rush to put mine up for that type of off roading on a daily driver.
From what I've seen, the consensus seems to be Metalcloak, Rock Krawler, and Teraflex in that order. Throw in a few others here and there but those seem to be the favorites. They appear to be good daily drivers but I truly haven't seen many topics where a DD would be more important than trails. Personally, I have been eyeing the Jks jkontrol but when you start looking, at a few hundred below the ones listed, I'd rather save the extra couple of hundred to buy a proven lift such as the Metalcloak since the whole deathwoble thing terrifies me (I spend quite a bit of time on the highway).
Also, read once that if you are considering a size of tire and go with the smaller one, you'll be kicking yourself for not going with the larger size. So that left me with 3.5 inch lift and 35's. Now just need to pull the trigger but I'm one of those that takes forever in doing so.... hth

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sfla is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-30-2018, 12:55 AM   #4
THE MIGHTY GRIZZLY!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ. In the Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry..
Posts: 25,250
to the Forum..
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Grizzly is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....


Click here and become a WF supporting Member
Old Dogger is online now   Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:01 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 115
Here is a great list for you (I made sure every part fits your model, including tires\wheels\lift\and big brakes):

Mopar Stage I 2" Lift Kit with Fox Shocks - 77070088AD
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16170_1023_07.htm

Mopar Big Brake Kit - P5160051AC
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5160051

AEV Pintler II 17in wheels - 20402014AB
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92500_010X_PG.htm

BF Goodrich 35x12.50R17 Tire, All-Terrain T/A KO2 - 66539
https://www.4wd.com/p/bf-goodrich-35..._/R-BDKZ-66539

Synergy Manufacturing 8007-03 Hi-Mount Stabilizer Relocation Kit
https://www.quadratec.com/p/synergy-...ep-wrangler-jk

Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement System (Black) - 82215356AB
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/ta...-wrangler-jl-0

Mopar Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Mounting Bracket Kit - 82215355
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/ov...ep-wrangler-jl

AEV 30406007AG ProCal Module for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler
https://www.quadratec.com/products/17619_1002.htm

Gorilla Automotive 71481NB5 Gorilla High Security Wheel Lock Set in Chrome for Jeep Vehicles
https://www.quadratec.com/products/15007_03.htm


You can simply take this list to your local Miami store here :

https://www.4wheelparts.com/storeLoc...?storeItem=215

they will order everything and schedule your install and do it all for you. (I think about 5500.00$ in parts and the labor to install will be about 2000.00$)

The best way to save money is to keep searching the parts numbers online for the best deals.

When you finish with all this go get a re-gear of your front and rear axle to 4.56 ratio to put your powertrain back in the correct torque envelope.

Then rip it up!

DeadStang and sfla like this.
__________________
2013 JK with Mopar 2in lift on Pinter Silver wheels with BF KO2 35in
sammaz is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
to the Forum..
Thanks Dogger! And everyone else for their input.

I guess my question is what is the biggest size tire that will fit without a lift?
CookieMatt is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammaz View Post
Here is a great list for you (I made sure every part fits your model, including tires\wheels\lift\and big brakes):

Mopar Stage I 2" Lift Kit with Fox Shocks - 77070088AD
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16170_1023_07.htm

Mopar Big Brake Kit - P5160051AC
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5160051

AEV Pintler II 17in wheels - 20402014AB
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92500_010X_PG.htm

BF Goodrich 35x12.50R17 Tire, All-Terrain T/A KO2 - 66539
https://www.4wd.com/p/bf-goodrich-35..._/R-BDKZ-66539

Synergy Manufacturing 8007-03 Hi-Mount Stabilizer Relocation Kit
https://www.quadratec.com/p/synergy-...ep-wrangler-jk

Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement System (Black) - 82215356AB
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/ta...-wrangler-jl-0

Mopar Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Mounting Bracket Kit - 82215355
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/ov...ep-wrangler-jl

AEV 30406007AG ProCal Module for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler
https://www.quadratec.com/products/17619_1002.htm

Gorilla Automotive 71481NB5 Gorilla High Security Wheel Lock Set in Chrome for Jeep Vehicles
https://www.quadratec.com/products/15007_03.htm


You can simply take this list to your local Miami store here :

https://www.4wheelparts.com/storeLoc...?storeItem=215

they will order everything and schedule your install and do it all for you. (I think about 5500.00$ in parts and the labor to install will be about 2000.00$)

The best way to save money is to keep searching the parts numbers online for the best deals.

When you finish with all this go get a re-gear of your front and rear axle to 4.56 ratio to put your powertrain back in the correct torque envelope.

Then rip it up!

Wow, that's amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!
CookieMatt is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: South Fla
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammaz View Post
Here is a great list for you (I made sure every part fits your model, including tires\wheels\lift\and big brakes):

Mopar Stage I 2" Lift Kit with Fox Shocks - 77070088AD
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16170_1023_07.htm

Mopar Big Brake Kit - P5160051AC
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5160051

AEV Pintler II 17in wheels - 20402014AB
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92500_010X_PG.htm

BF Goodrich 35x12.50R17 Tire, All-Terrain T/A KO2 - 66539
https://www.4wd.com/p/bf-goodrich-35..._/R-BDKZ-66539

Synergy Manufacturing 8007-03 Hi-Mount Stabilizer Relocation Kit
https://www.quadratec.com/p/synergy-...ep-wrangler-jk

Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement System (Black) - 82215356AB
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/ta...-wrangler-jl-0

Mopar Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Mounting Bracket Kit - 82215355
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/ov...ep-wrangler-jl

AEV 30406007AG ProCal Module for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler
https://www.quadratec.com/products/17619_1002.htm

Gorilla Automotive 71481NB5 Gorilla High Security Wheel Lock Set in Chrome for Jeep Vehicles
https://www.quadratec.com/products/15007_03.htm


You can simply take this list to your local Miami store here :

https://www.4wheelparts.com/storeLoc...?storeItem=215

they will order everything and schedule your install and do it all for you. (I think about 5500.00$ in parts and the labor to install will be about 2000.00$)

The best way to save money is to keep searching the parts numbers online for the best deals.

When you finish with all this go get a re-gear of your front and rear axle to 4.56 ratio to put your powertrain back in the correct torque envelope.

Then rip it up!

What a great list!! Wow. That's so helpful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sfla is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMatt View Post
Thanks Dogger! And everyone else for their input.



I guess my question is what is the biggest size tire that will fit without a lift?


33’s for 95% of your “mostly street driving”.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ncfitton is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Awesome. Was thinking about getting:

33" Goodyear Wrangler SR-A Tire
255/75R/17

Good choice?

Moving on towards wheels, anything to stay clear of? What size would look best? Thanks again!
CookieMatt is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMatt View Post
Awesome. Was thinking about getting:

33" Goodyear Wrangler SR-A Tire
255/75R/17

Good choice?

Moving on towards wheels, anything to stay clear of? What size would look best? Thanks again!
Actually, not seeing that. So:

33" Goodyear Wrangler SR-A Tire
275/70R/18

That will fit on my Jeep without a lift, correct?
CookieMatt is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:52 PM   #12
Professional Nap Taker

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 14,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMatt View Post
Actually, not seeing that. So:

33" Goodyear Wrangler SR-A Tire
275/70R/18

That will fit on my Jeep without a lift, correct?
IMO you need to decide how you're going to use your Jeep (trail crawler, rock crawler, mall crawler, etc) and then build it to suit that need. Don't just throw money and parts at it all willy/nilly.

Once you've defined your usage we can make intelligent recommendations to suit your needs
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:01 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
That makes sense.

This is a fun vehicle to drive around town with my dog, go camping occasionally, not much if any off roading, mostly highway driving.
CookieMatt is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #14
Professional Nap Taker

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 14,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMatt View Post
That makes sense.

This is a fun vehicle to drive around town with my dog, go camping occasionally, not much if any off roading, mostly highway driving.
For that usage I think a 33" is perfect, you don't need a lift to fit it.

Now personally I don't like the SRAs, I've had them on 2 Jeeps.

Maybe an all-terrain to give you a rugged look but still be civilized around town and on the highway.

Here's one option, the BFG KO2

Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	4097811
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:50 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 46
I am really happy with my Discount Tire Pathfinder AT’s and I bought my wheels from them also. You can buy their tire insurance which is also a great deal. You can see them on my build thread:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ncfitton is offline   Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Comanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: FIMA Camp #243
Posts: 484
If you want to stay closer to stock another option would be the BFG 34 10.5 17 tires. They will fit on a stock Jeep with no lift kit.
I'd run that setup with a set of the Rubicon shocks and rims with the Teraflex leveling springs.
__________________
Beer, meat, fire.
Comanche is offline   Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Thread Starter
  #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfitton View Post
I am really happy with my Discount Tire Pathfinder AT’s and I bought my wheels from them also. You can buy their tire insurance which is also a great deal. You can see them on my build thread:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love those! Can you link me by chance? I am having a tough time finding them online. I am a completely moron when it comes to any of this stuff but excited to learn.

Just to make sure, no lift needed for those, correct? And what size of wheels can you go with those? 17 and 18?

Thanks!
CookieMatt is offline   Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMatt View Post
Love those! Can you link me by chance? I am having a tough time finding them online. I am a completely moron when it comes to any of this stuff but excited to learn.



Just to make sure, no lift needed for those, correct? And what size of wheels can you go with those? 17 and 18?



Thanks!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...kaAkhYEALw_wcB


But you can order them from Discount Tire and they will mount the tires, swap your TPM’s, etc.

As I said above, the Pathfinder AT 285/70/17 (33) rubbed on full lock up a bump. You won’t need a lift for 99% of street driving.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ncfitton is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #19
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,975
Thanks for the referral, ncfitton - you're rig looks awesome! I too run the Pathfinder AT on my rig and I've been very pleased with the performance they deliver. I see very little dirt but still wanted a tire capable of light off-road duty but with more emphasis on on-road performance.

As for what's been mentioned regarding size, I agree, 33's are the max for stock applications and with the right wheel dimensions rubbing should be minimal

One other wheel option you may want to take a peek at, CookieMatt is the new Method MR701. It has similar styling when compared to the XD301 and it looks like our mail order division, Discount Tire Direct, has a set available in bronze as well as matte black.

Method Trail Series MR701 | Wrangler Forum
__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: discounttire.com
To Your Door: discounttiredirect.com

See WHEELS on Your Vehicle!!!
Discount Tire is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Thread Starter
  #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
Thanks for the referral, ncfitton - you're rig looks awesome! I too run the Pathfinder AT on my rig and I've been very pleased with the performance they deliver. I see very little dirt but still wanted a tire capable of light off-road duty but with more emphasis on on-road performance.

As for what's been mentioned regarding size, I agree, 33's are the max for stock applications and with the right wheel dimensions rubbing should be minimal

One other wheel option you may want to take a peek at, CookieMatt is the new Method MR701. It has similar styling when compared to the XD301 and it looks like our mail order division, Discount Tire Direct, has a set available in bronze as well as matte black.

Method Trail Series MR701 | Wrangler Forum
Alright, it's settled! Going with the Pathfinder AT 285/70/17 (33)! Thanks everyone.

You mentioned needing the correct sizing on my wheels to eliminate rubbing. Can you tell me what size that would be? 17x9? or 18x9?

Thanks in advance!
CookieMatt is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #21
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMatt View Post
Alright, it's settled! Going with the Pathfinder AT 285/70/17 (33)! Thanks everyone.

You mentioned needing the correct sizing on my wheels to eliminate rubbing. Can you tell me what size that would be? 17x9? or 18x9?

Thanks in advance!
You'll be pleased with the Pathfinder AT

As for the wheel dimensions, if you go 285/70R-17 I recommend a 17x8.5 with 4.75-inches of backspace (I.E 0 offset) or a 17x9 with 4.5-inches of backspace (I.E. -12mm offset). These are the two most common JK sizes for plus sized tires.
__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: discounttire.com
To Your Door: discounttiredirect.com

See WHEELS on Your Vehicle!!!
Discount Tire is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
ChemE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 395
When my factory tires wear out I am probably going with the 255/80r17 Nitto ridge Grapplers. Should be perfect with the Mopar 2 inch lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180929_141500_1538615449042.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	4098475  
DeadStang likes this.

ChemE is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC