To 32 or not to 32 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Part-time Fayetteville, Arkansas; Part-time Houston, TX
Posts: 5,021
To 32 or not to 32

Hello, fellow Jeepers! I have the grand question of whether or not to downsize from my current 33" tires or stick with them. I know, like why right? My reasonings are simple and subject to opinion but I'm truly curious how capable are 32"s? I love my 33"s offroad however they are killing me in the MPG department and feel like 32"s leave me with the perfect balance between offroad capability and road forgiveness. However, I'm building an overland rig and I'm afraid that 32"s will leave me potentially underbuilt for long haul trails. Then again, I've heard that 32s can get you through some remarkably difficult trails. I'm just a little undecided in my decision and some guidance would be nice. Trails pics would be nice if yall have them! Vehicle: 2005 TJR

Note: This is a future decision in no less than a year to happen, I just want answers ASAP

__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
IITYWTMWYBMAB

::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 12,283
I would go with 35's.

but to answer this.. when you air down a 33 it gets close to a 32.. for me i would keep the 33. as for mpg.. i don't think you going to see much of a difference. As for how good or bad 32's are.. I took a CJ-7 up lower 2 in tellico with them.. if you have never heard of lower 2.. its not easy.. and is now closed.

__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94.15
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ. JK


JKU Build Inside: Party Girl
WranglerForum: Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHO...TLdAuMbTLs_bxw

JKUR 2" Rancho Sport - BlackForest Throwback Top - Milestar 315 Patagona Mt's - Outlaw Sheriff Rims - Bushwacker Flat Fenders -
Spicer Parts F/R Diff Covers, Front Drive Shaft - 4340 Alloy Shafts- Metal Cloak Overland Rock w/Flip Step -JCR Transmission Skid- Quadratec LED Headlights- Q9500i winch
4Jeepn is online now   Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
tarditi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 1,142
going from 33 to 32 using the same tire (make/model)?
Are you running a lift?

You'll lose ~ 1/2" in clearance, all things being equal - but if you're changing models you may be surprised how little difference there is... some 32s are closer to 31s, some are closer to 33s. Some 33s are closer to 32, and some closer to 34. That said, it may be possible that there is little-to-no difference or up to nearly 2" in diameter difference.

Overland builds have different needs as well as pros/cons from rockcrawler builds - the difference in tire diameter may not be huge, but if you can save 1-2mpg as a product of tire size, tread, and composition that may translate to another 40 miles in range per tank. Nothing to sneer at if you're going way off the beaten path.

My JKUR is more for overlanding and I'm going up in tire size from stock, but also going to an all-terrain (255x75r17 BFG MT loadC 32.1"diam to 285x70r17 Goodyear Duratrac loadD 32.8"diam) While not a huge difference in diameter, there will be some improvement in road handling (especially wet roads) and perhaps a slight bump in mpg from the tread design.

Good thread if you've not seen it
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/lar...er-142837.html
__________________
Dustin Tarditi
2015 Tank JKUR
Haddonfield, NJ

Jeep your own Jeep.
tarditi is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Part-time Fayetteville, Arkansas; Part-time Houston, TX
Posts: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
going from 33 to 32 using the same tire (make/model)?
Are you running a lift?

You'll lose ~ 1/2" in clearance, all things being equal - but if you're changing models you may be surprised how little difference there is... some 32s are closer to 31s, some are closer to 33s. Some 33s are closer to 32, and some closer to 34. That said, it may be possible that there is little-to-no difference or up to nearly 2" in diameter difference.

Overland builds have different needs as well as pros/cons from rockcrawler builds - the difference in tire diameter may not be huge, but if you can save 1-2mpg as a product of tire size, tread, and composition that may translate to another 40 miles in range per tank. Nothing to sneer at if you're going way off the beaten path.

My JKUR is more for overlanding and I'm going up in tire size from stock, but also going to an all-terrain (255x75r17 BFG MT loadC 32.1"diam to 285x70r17 Goodyear Duratrac loadD 32.8"diam) While not a huge difference in diameter, there will be some improvement in road handling (especially wet roads) and perhaps a slight bump in mpg from the tread design.

Good thread if you've not seen it
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/lar...er-142837.html
Yes, I expected a drop in clearance and intend to swap out my POS Pro Comp 4" lift with likely a HD OME 2.5" kit that is designed for both 32s and 33s. I've done some of the research on brands' true tire sizes, mainly with BFGs KO/KO2s although I may consider the swap to Cooper AT3s, again I'll have to do the research about true diameter. BFGs R16 285s are 32.8" and the 265s are a 31.6 or 31.8 which has me considering something right in between like a 275, however R16 sizes are a pain in the ass to calculate correctly. To my understanding though, 285s mounted are closer to a 32" tire. Something I also forgot to mention is that I'm swapping from 15"x8" rims to stock 16"x8" Moabs. Also, that thread is helpful, however, it doesn't help a whole lot since it's intended for JKs I'm a TJ
__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
tarditi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 1,142
Gotcha - my 2004 TJ Rubicon ran 32" tires on OME 2.5" lift.
I used a nth degree belly skid and 1" Body lift + 1" motor mount lift - my intent was to get a larger tire without cutting sheet metal and not have driveline vibes - it ran like stock - butter smooth, and had great breakover clearance over stock with the belly skid.

I did run 15x8 steelies for the wheels, you may have some backspacing issues with stock rims, but you can get good performance without needing an extreme suspension setup.
__________________
Dustin Tarditi
2015 Tank JKUR
Haddonfield, NJ

Jeep your own Jeep.
tarditi is offline   Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Part-time Fayetteville, Arkansas; Part-time Houston, TX
Posts: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
Gotcha - my 2004 TJ Rubicon ran 32" tires on OME 2.5" lift.
I used a nth degree belly skid and 1" Body lift + 1" motor mount lift - my intent was to get a larger tire without cutting sheet metal and not have driveline vibes - it ran like stock - butter smooth, and had great breakover clearance over stock with the belly skid.

I did run 15x8 steelies for the wheels, you may have some backspacing issues with stock rims, but you can get good performance without needing an extreme suspension setup.
Yeah I was think that I might have a few backspacing issues with stock rims, but I'm sure a few spacers will help. I may run a 1" BL just to be sure of clearance however I hate the gap they leave between the body/bumpers and frame. However, I need one if I ever intend to do a tummy tuck. In all honesty, I will likely do a frankenlift since I really just want the OME HD springs and don't want to spend the premium $1300 for the rest.
__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
tarditi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 1,142
I got a good condition OME 2.5" lift on Ebay for about $150

The belly skid was a PITA to install but it made a HUGE difference
__________________
Dustin Tarditi
2015 Tank JKUR
Haddonfield, NJ

Jeep your own Jeep.
tarditi is offline   Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Part-time Fayetteville, Arkansas; Part-time Houston, TX
Posts: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
I got a good condition OME 2.5" lift on Ebay for about $150

The belly skid was a PITA to install but it made a HUGE difference
Looks like I'll be doing a little searching before potentially buying new

__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
32s , 33s , tires

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.