What is the widest tire 18" stock rim I can go? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-31-2011, 08:19 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Sahara33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
What is the widest tire 18" stock rim I can go?

Hello what is the widest tire I can put on a 18" stock rim? I believe the width is 7.5". I have 255 now. Can I go 265, 275, 295? Thanks for you help!

Sahara33 is offline   Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
what ever the metric equivalnt to a 10.5in wide tire is..

Tire size calculator
http://www.redrock4x4.com/tireconversioncalculator.html

__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
medichawk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingwood
Posts: 20
The numbers you listed is for height. 265/70/18 the 70 is width. And that size listed is what I have it rubs a little when turned to the max on either side.
__________________
911 is not a TAXI
medichawk1 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Sahara33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
I thought 265 was the width and 70 is the side wall profile? Maybe im wrong. What is the tire name you have in the 265/70? Im looking for a wider more aggressive tire to put on stock 255/70/18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medichawk1 View Post
The numbers you listed is for height. 265/70/18 the 70 is width. And that size listed is what I have it rubs a little when turned to the max on either side.
Sahara33 is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Newb
 
Thardin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
You are correct, the 265 is the width of the tire in mm, the 70 is the aspect ratio and determines the Sidewall height based on the width of the tire.
Thardin is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardin View Post
You are correct, the 265 is the width of the tire in mm, the 70 is the aspect ratio and determines the Sidewall height based on the width of the tire.
GREAT first post . WELCOME TO WF
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Sahara33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
So if my stock rim is 7.5, what is the max width I can go? 265, 275, 285? Without a lift. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardin View Post
You are correct, the 265 is the width of the tire in mm, the 70 is the aspect ratio and determines the Sidewall height based on the width of the tire.
Sahara33 is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Powertrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Maricopa, AZ
Posts: 569
Not sure what tire you're looking for, but here are the sizes available from BF Goodrich in the All Terrain T/A KO for an 18" rim:

265/65R18 = 31.6x10.4/18
275/65R18 = 32.1x10.8/18
275/70R18 = 33.2x10.8/18
285/65R18 = 32.6x11.2/18
305/65R18 = 33.6x12.0/18
325/65R18 = 34.6x12.8/18

I know people put 12.5" wide tires on 8" wide rims all the time, so I'm sure you'd be fine with anything 12" or less in width. I'd say go with the 305/65R18.
__________________
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Powertrip is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Grampie

WF Supporting Member
 
stans1stjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, Mi
Posts: 783
A good question! I have the same wheels and tires you do. The 255x70/18 = 32x10/18. Unless you want to do an speedometer recalibration (or don't care) stick as close to the 32" dia as possible. The width is another question. You may have to find a friendly tire shop willing to mount a tire and help you fit it. back in my racing days that's what we did for a quick answer. Taller tires will have more side wall deflection, thus clearance issues with body and chassis parts. Only experience will help answer that question. The 255x70/18's are an odd size and many of us (who want to use the stock wheels) will face this question in the future.
stans1stjeep is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertrip View Post
Not sure what tire you're looking for, but here are the sizes available from BF Goodrich in the All Terrain T/A KO for an 18" rim:

265/65R18 = 31.6x10.4/18
275/65R18 = 32.1x10.8/18
275/70R18 = 33.2x10.8/18
285/65R18 = 32.6x11.2/18
305/65R18 = 33.6x12.0/18
325/65R18 = 34.6x12.8/18

I know people put 12.5" wide tires on 8" wide rims all the time, so I'm sure you'd be fine with anything 12.5" or less in width. I'd say go with the 285/65R18.
Fixed as anything over 33" without lift is not a good idea IMO even if it's just a tiny bit. Also room for flex is good news
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by medichawk1 View Post
The numbers you listed is for height. 265/70/18 the 70 is width. And that size listed is what I have it rubs a little when turned to the max on either side.

to read a metric tire size... 265/70/18

265 = 265mm in width (265/25.4 = 10.43 inches in width)

70 = this is the distance from the wheel to the tread. It is 70% of the 265mm width (265*0.7= 185.5mm)(185.5/25.4=7.3 inches of sidewall) (7.3in sidewall times 2 plus the 18in wheel = 32.6 in tall)

18= wheel size
otnewt is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Mel143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western N.C. Blue Ridge Mountains
Posts: 233
Should my BS detector be going off?

I have a bone stock 2012 JK Unlimited Sahara. A local shop is telling me that you can do a one-inch leveling kit on the JKU, which picks up the front enough to fit 275 65 18 Goodyear Duratracs (33.1") tires all the way around with no binding or rubbing at full lock and max compression. Should my BS detector be going off?!
__________________
Most Dogs Are Better Than Most People.
Mel143 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
Sahara33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
IDK. Im getting 275/65/18 DuraTracs installed Saturday on stock 18" Sahara rim. No lift no spacers (yet, we'll see if they rub)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel143 View Post
I have a bone stock 2012 JK Unlimited Sahara. A local shop is telling me that you can do a one-inch leveling kit on the JKU, which picks up the front enough to fit 275 65 18 Goodyear Duratracs (33.1") tires all the way around with no binding or rubbing at full lock and max compression. Should my BS detector be going off?!
Sahara33 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel143 View Post
I have a bone stock 2012 JK Unlimited Sahara. A local shop is telling me that you can do a one-inch leveling kit on the JKU, which picks up the front enough to fit 275 65 18 Goodyear Duratracs (33.1") tires all the way around with no binding or rubbing at full lock and max compression. Should my BS detector be going off?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara33 View Post
IDK. Im getting 275/65/18 DuraTracs installed Saturday on stock 18" Sahara rim. No lift no spacers (yet, we'll see if they rub)
My calculator has 275/65/18 at 32x11/18. Those will rub with stock rims
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Mel143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western N.C. Blue Ridge Mountains
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight View Post
My calculator has 275/65/18 at 32x11/18. Those will rub with stock rims
XJ Knight -- Thanks, appreciate the knowledge. Would the 2-inch lift-level fix that? Or just a 1 1/2" Spidertrax? Trying to keep things economical, you know.

Sahara33 -- Would you please report back on the Duratrac install Saturday? Thanks.
__________________
Most Dogs Are Better Than Most People.
Mel143 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel143 View Post
XJ Knight -- Thanks, appreciate the knowledge. Would the 2-inch lift-level fix that? Or just a 1 1/2" Spidertrax? Trying to keep things economical, you know.

Sahara33 -- Would you please report back on the Duratrac install Saturday? Thanks.
as to the 2in lift that only will help with clearing tire height not width and the 275/65/18's being 32's you can clear at stock height with room to spare. The wheel spacers will push the wheels out and that is what will help you in this case cause the max width on the stock rims you can run without rubbing is 10.5in and that will be close. However on that note Im of the opinion that wheel spacers are bad news as they just add to the stress of wheel hubs and other steering components. Don't take short cuts get new wheels with the proper back spacing and be done with it.. Also most tire places won't touch a vehlicle with wheel spacers on them.

But I must also add so that those with wheel spacers don't come after me with angry posts, if maintained and torqued right checked regularly they will work just fine as if no one else "jimbox" here on WF has proven.. He does run them and Im not sure anyone uses there Jeep offroad more then he does.
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Mel143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western N.C. Blue Ridge Mountains
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight View Post
as to the 2in lift that only will help with clearing tire height not width and the 275/65/18's being 32's you can clear at stock height with room to spare. The wheel spacers will push the wheels out and that is what will help you in this case cause the max width on the stock rims you can run without rubbing is 10.5in and that will be close. However on that note Im of the opinion that wheel spacers are bad news as they just add to the stress of wheel hubs and other steering components. Don't take short cuts get new wheels with the proper back spacing and be done with it.. Also most tire places won't touch a vehlicle with wheel spacers on them.

But I must also add so that those with wheel spacers don't come after me with angry posts, if maintained and torqued right checked regularly they will work just fine as if no one else "jimbox" here on WF has proven.. He does run them and Im not sure anyone uses there Jeep offroad more then he does.
Thanks for that. I didn't know that 10.5" was the width limit. I'd rather not get into wheel spacers for the above reasons.

Okay, so how does this sound: 17" rims (Pintlers, maybe?), GY Duratrac 285/70/17s (33"), and a 1-2 inch lift-level? Followed by an OEM yard sale, and chased by lots of vodka on install day.

This is a DD, 10 percent fire trails, gravel in the woods.

Thanks, I really appreciate your opinion. There's too much money at play in this whole thing to do it more than once.
__________________
Most Dogs Are Better Than Most People.
Mel143 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel143 View Post
Thanks for that. I didn't know that 10.5" was the width limit. I'd rather not get into wheel spacers for the above reasons.

Okay, so how does this sound: 17" rims (Pintlers, maybe?), GY Duratrac 285/70/17s (33"), and a 1-2 inch lift-level? Followed by an OEM yard sale, and chased by lots of vodka on install day.

This is a DD, 10 percent fire trails, gravel in the woods.

Thanks, I really appreciate your opinion. There's too much money at play in this whole thing to do it more than once.
Love it! Especially the lots of vodka.. ideally you'll want a rim with 4.5in of backspacing but anything from 3.75-4.5 should work just fine
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #19
Jeeper
 
Sahara33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
Sure will do. I've read some say they dont rub and some say do rub. I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel143 View Post
XJ Knight -- Thanks, appreciate the knowledge. Would the 2-inch lift-level fix that? Or just a 1 1/2" Spidertrax? Trying to keep things economical, you know.

Sahara33 -- Would you please report back on the Duratrac install Saturday? Thanks.
Sahara33 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #20
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Mel143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western N.C. Blue Ridge Mountains
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara33 View Post
Sure will do. I've read some say they dont rub and some say do rub. I will let you know.
Thanks, S33. FYI, my local Discount Tire guy says he'll order whatever tire you want, fit the tire on one wheel, then remount it to each hub so they can eyeball it to make sure they don't rub. If they do rub, no harm no foul, they'll remount your old tire, put the other tires back on the car, and you're on your way. Might be the way to go, instead of mounting all 4 just to see if there's a problem.
__________________
Most Dogs Are Better Than Most People.
Mel143 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #21
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Mel143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western N.C. Blue Ridge Mountains
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight View Post
Love it! Especially the lots of vodka.. ideally you'll want a rim with 4.5in of backspacing but anything from 3.75-4.5 should work just fine
Thanks again. That backspacing info is critical to have. I'd like to find a way to keep the stock wheel, but the compounding additional costs of the backspacing issue, more expensive 18" rubber at replacement time and the cost of powdercoating the factory wheels make the Pintler or other 17" option more viable all along.

I ain't that smart, but I'm smart enough to know that I want to do it right, and forget it. On the other hand, I am dumb enough to seriously consider replacing 5 perfectly good, new wheels and tires for purely vanity purposes. But I'm smart enough to know that's stupid. My head hurts. Must be Jeep fever!
__________________
Most Dogs Are Better Than Most People.
Mel143 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel143 View Post
My head hurts. Must be Jeep fever!
It's a sickness most if not all of us have WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Thread Starter
  #23
Jeeper
 
Sahara33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
I am pushing my luck here but I am hoping that the 275/65 will not rub. You said 10.5 is the widest I can go. The 275 is 10.8 so I hoping that only .3 tenths wider will be ok. We'll see! If they rub I may do the spacers (heard they may not be good though) or back down to 265 which is 10.4.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight View Post
My calculator has 275/65/18 at 32x11/18. Those will rub with stock rims
Sahara33 is offline   Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #24
Jeeper
 
Sahara33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
Had the 275/65/18 Duratracs installed today. When turning full to left its perfect no rub at all. When turning full max to right I get minor rub. Only turning to right full max. I may get spacers but I think they will be fine. I would think I rearly turn full max anyway. We'll see how they do before I get spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel143 View Post
XJ Knight -- Thanks, appreciate the knowledge. Would the 2-inch lift-level fix that? Or just a 1 1/2" Spidertrax? Trying to keep things economical, you know.

Sahara33 -- Would you please report back on the Duratrac install Saturday? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6511 (Large).jpg
Views:	18553
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	88045  
Sahara33 is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Mel143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western N.C. Blue Ridge Mountains
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara33 View Post
Had the 275/65/18 Duratracs installed today. When turning full to left its perfect no rub at all. When turning full max to right I get minor rub. Only turning to right full max. I may get spacers but I think they will be fine. I would think I rearly turn full max anyway. We'll see how they do before I get spacers.
Thanks for the report, S33. The tires look great! That's cool about the clearance, too. I guess the full-lock-right rub is a personal preference thing. Might want to make sure you know what it's rubbing on, just to know.

Have you had them at highway speed yet? I'm wondering about noise. I'm going to go with DTs too, just not sure what size. Congrats!
__________________
Most Dogs Are Better Than Most People.
Mel143 is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #26
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Glad I found this thread!

This the thread I found when I googled the "identical question"
LEAD ME TO THIS GREAT GROUP!

I signed up immediately and hope to be a good contributor member!

So-I have the exact same rig--2012 stock Sahara on 255 r70 18 BFG tires and hope to increase height/width and yet still have the ridability of a daily driver.

It was suggested to me to go with the Goodyear Duratrac's as well and looks like it is confirmed by this thread.
Question--32's or 33's and what wheel size?

Question--I just installed a Warn Elite full width bumper and will add a winch
It was suggested that I add a leveling kit along with a 2" lift (old man EMU) was recommended (HD) as I intend to do some towing and or carry my KTM-450 side saddle on a hitch carrier (your thoughts/recommendations)

Thanks guys!
CFmaster is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #27
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
Sahara33, your wheels look outstanding! What did you have done????? Is that powder coat, plasti dip, paint???? My mom always said copying an idea is the highest form of flattery, so help me flatter you! I just picked up a black/black Sahara unlimited on Wednesday and I'm itching to replace the rubber and get some black wheels rolling.
Karl Hungus is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
Also, CFmaster, completely agree! Very glad I found this thread. For everyone that has replaced stock tires, what is your recommendation? I've always heard how great nittos were but now that I am in buy mode I'm trying to sift through reality and hype...
Karl Hungus is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Thread Starter
  #29
Jeeper
 
Sahara33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
They are stocks, I had them powder coated. $80 per.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Sahara33, your wheels look outstanding! What did you have done????? Is that powder coat, plasti dip, paint???? My mom always said copying an idea is the highest form of flattery, so help me flatter you! I just picked up a black/black Sahara unlimited on Wednesday and I'm itching to replace the rubber and get some black wheels rolling.
Sahara33 is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
mtu1293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 190
Glad I found this thread as well, I too have a stock 2012 JK and was planning on trying the DT in 275/65 r18. S33 so how you liking the tires after having a bit now? Did you ever verify what the rub at full turn to the right was?

__________________
SOLD>>>>>>>>>>>>
D60 f/r with 5.38 gears, locked f/r stretched f/r and riding on 39.5" IROKs
Now building my 07 Powerwagon and RZR S
New addition:2012 2dr JK Sahara
mtu1293 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock Bumper tire carrier retrofit 2002Apex Builders Corner 5 01-02-2011 03:45 PM
Maximum tire widths for stock 18" rims Kolb26 General Jeep Discussion 1 01-16-2010 02:23 AM
Tire rubbing? '95 YJ Sahara Stock Wheels DaveC YJ General Discussion Forum 7 06-29-2009 12:09 AM
Tire Alternative for Stock 18" Sahara Wheel Hilldweller JK General Discussion Forum 2 06-30-2008 02:55 AM
Stock Rubicon Wheel Size and Tire Increase PaulW TJ General Discussion Forum 7 04-02-2006 12:38 PM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.