Originally Posted by OldDogNewJeep
Can you elaborate? I like this kind of stuff.
I disassembled both compressors, and found some issues. The first was DOA, due to a missing wire nut. The second nut just pulled off. So I soldered and used heat shrink instead, for both compressors.
Second was where the cable goes through the motor back plate. It's sharp stamped steel hole. I added a nylon grommet to eliminate chaffing issues.
Next was the head. On both heads I deburred the ports for better reed valve sealing. On the OBA unit, I removed the stock fitting and re-tapped 1/4"NPT to run a standard one way valve.
The stock cables have a pretty good volt drop. On the OBA unit, the cables are cut about a foot long, and connected to the battery. The voltage drop on that one is within limits (about 0.2V if I remember correctly). For the stock one, I just run engine idle up, to increase available voltage. Would be better to just run good quality cable, and engine idle up.
The rest of the work was just about tweaking things, cleaning flashing, ect..
On the OBA unit, I changed the bolts that hold the end plates on. I don't remember why I did this. It was either to make future service easier, or to increase longevity. Maybe both. It's been a few years since I did this project.
On the stock unit, the insulation cracked down to bare wire at the grommet from pulling it in and out of the bag. I just shortened up the cables a bit, but it should have a strain relief added for durability. Otherwise a bit of care when putting it back in the bag, rather than just stuffing it back in, would be a good idea.
Originally Posted by Rockyriver
I remember your posts on the MF1050. What mods did you do ? Did you ever remove the red paint to make it run cooler ?
I still haven't removed the red paint from the head and barrel, but sincerely believe it would make a difference on temperature.
I will probably leave the stock kit as is, but will do the head and barrel for the OBA unit, when it all goes back together. Going to try bead blasting, to get a rough texture.
Hope this information is helpful. Here are some pictures of the compressor. I should have done a better job documenting this. My apologies.
Picture of missing wire nut, and wires disconnected. You can also see where the wires go through the end plate without a grommet.
Head as comes from factory. All I did was deburr the edge. Others have done some porting, but the reed is pretty cheesy, so didn't want to chance that.
Unit setup for OBA on my old Scout.