3.21 vs 3.73 gearing - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
Yes.

Currently have the stock 17" MT's on the HR, certainly a Factor.

I would add, I thought the Sahara was a little "Freaky Quick". We used to call that a "Factory Freak" sometimes a motor just hits all the Top marks on the specs and turns out that way.
I test drove a Sahara auto 3.73 before i bought mine with 3.21, if anything at all, i felt the 3.21 was spunkier at take off. Maybe it was just the tank color was making me happier than the one i test drove. Go figure.

__________________
2015 Sahara Unlimited 24G Tank Alpine JWS Evo J Auto AC Connectivity Grp Body Colored Hardtop
JTank is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #32
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTank View Post
I test drove a Sahara auto 3.73 before i bought mine with 3.21, if anything at all, i felt the 3.21 was spunkier at take off. Maybe it was just the tank color was making me happier than the one i test drove. Go figure.
Yes. Exactly, it may be a programming "trick" because of the taller gears which is why I mention "quicker not faster".
After that initial spunky launch - my HR would eat it up from 30 - 80mph.
The 4.10's Pull Harder.

__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
sneaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
Yes. Exactly, it may be a programming "trick" because of the taller gears which is why I mention "quicker not faster".
After that initial spunky launch - my HR would eat it up from 30 - 80mph.
The 4.10's Pull Harder.
sounds like 373 is the sweet spot then for stock performance .....with 373 and 34" mounted tires what is the equal stock gear ratio? would it be less or more than 321?
sneaton is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #34
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaton View Post
sounds like 373 is the sweet spot then for stock performance .....with 373 and 34" mounted tires what is the equal stock gear ratio? would it be less or more than 321?
There is math for that but failing the abacus test - I would put that at about a 3.43 and it is indeed a nice sweet spot much like 4.10's and 35's.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Smitty Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
Sure it is! In fact, it's not just remotely funny, it's locally funny as well.

Hitler himself may not be particularly funny, and his regime of terror certainly wasn't, but the fact that people will take the opposite side of any statement ever made on the internet, including the douchebaggery of Hitler, is certainly funny. If not in a "ha ha, comedy" sense at least in a "well, doesn't that just beat all" sense.
Yeah whatever. A few select people are best left un-referred to/compared to in a comical context. But it's still a free country and you are free to say whatever you want. I am the least politically correct person on earth but I draw the line with Hitler. The worst thing you want to do, is to marginalize through humor or otherwise the horror that mutation inflicted on millions. He is still the gold standard. But this is not a history or political forum so I'll back off from commenting further.

Back to the subject at hand, I am very impressed with my 3.73's ability to move off a green light. Here in DC, you also have to have merging power or the other drivers will literally push you out of the way.
Smitty Lee is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #36
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
NoGaBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATL, GA
Posts: 5,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty Lee View Post
The worst thing you want to do, is to marginalize through humor or otherwise the horror that mutation inflicted on millions. He is still the gold standard.
He's more like the bronze standard, behind clear winners Mao and Stalin. But like you, I'm still not a fan.

Hitler to Stalin: The most murderous regimes in the world | Daily Mail Online
__________________
NoGaBiker

Current: Anvil '14 Willys JK 6M, 4.56, G2 rear shafts; Eaton e-lockers, G2 D44 axle up front; 4:1 t-case; RE 2.5" long-arm, 35x10.5" Kenda for Street/37" Interco for Trail;
Previous: Hunter Green '92 XJ Cherokee Laredo 4.0; White 92 XJ Cherokee Limited 4.0; '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi-powered drone
NoGaBiker is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
Smitty Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
He's more like the bronze standard, behind clear winners Mao and Stalin. But like you, I'm still not a fan.

Hitler to Stalin: The most murderous regimes in the world | Daily Mail Online
Ok we get it, can we move on? This is not the History Channel. Make your point once and continue done the highway.
Smitty Lee is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #38
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
NoGaBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATL, GA
Posts: 5,635
Hey, if you need to have the last word on it, that's cool! No problem from me. But to really dig at me you could have just ignored me.

History is even more fun than gear ratios!

Cheers!
__________________
NoGaBiker

Current: Anvil '14 Willys JK 6M, 4.56, G2 rear shafts; Eaton e-lockers, G2 D44 axle up front; 4:1 t-case; RE 2.5" long-arm, 35x10.5" Kenda for Street/37" Interco for Trail;
Previous: Hunter Green '92 XJ Cherokee Laredo 4.0; White 92 XJ Cherokee Limited 4.0; '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi-powered drone
NoGaBiker is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
There are ample opinions, based on facts, mathematics, menstrual cycles, and tide tables to support each and every final drive ratio but the simple fact remains that none of them are perfect for everyone/every situation. Hence the choices offered by the factory (and I don't fully buy into the CAFE standards theory re: 3.21...the EPA etc. are wise enough to take that into account. They can add, subtract, multiply etc. just like most everyone else).

It's essentially a religious or political discussion in that it's circular and never seems to find an end.

Now, back to that oil thread....
It's only religious for some people who choose to ignore physics and adamantly insist their opinion is right for others.

As far as the CAFE thing, you should be able to see from the VW cheating scandal that the EPA has very clear and well defined tests and you can set up your vehicle to pass a test that has nothing at all to do with the real world.
__________________
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1991 MJ - 2.5/AX5/D35
1987 MJ - 4.0/BA10-5/D35
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
Xcrossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Metter, Ga recently moved from California, Md
Posts: 69
My 13 JKU came with the 3.21 and I have installed 35's and find that it still works fine for me. I usually do 2 trips a year back to Maryland from Georgia and my MPG is usually pretty acceptable. It's been since Jan since my last trip but I think I usually average between 17-18 but I've never corrected my speedo which I believe runs about 10% slow so I'm thinking my odometer is also "slow". My preference would have been a 3.73 but when I need a little more grunt I actually enjoy shifting the automatic to manual mode.
__________________
2013 Wrangler Unlimited
Auto, 3" BDS, 18"XD's, 35 Nittos

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then".
Seger - Against the Wind
Xcrossbow is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
Smitty Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
Hey, if you need to have the last word on it, that's cool! No problem from me. But to really dig at me you could have just ignored me.

History is even more fun than gear ratios!

Cheers!
You want to take all the fun out of my life?

A wise man taught me to make your point once and then walk away. Don't repeat yourself. Interpret it any way u want. Certain things I don't ignore. I have witnessed the best and the worst in my career.

Cheers. Have a good weekend.
Smitty Lee is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
DHart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 428
Like Xcrossbow, above, our 2013 JKU Sahara came with 3.21 and we immediately went with the AEV 2.5" lift and Nitto 35x12.5xR17 tires... and finding the combination works just fine for us.

As I've read so much about going with lower gearing I've wondered if I need that. But when driving the Jeep with 3.21, I find it plenty quick in getting around. The only time I've thought I might appreciate lower gearing is when wanting to go very slow crawl-speed in off-roading descents, which we don't do a LOT of. If we did that often, I might be more motivated to go with lower gearing.

I'd say whatever the gearing in the Jeep you buy, drive it with what it has for a while, to decide if you really NEED to change the gearing.

We're content with the 3.21 at present, as I'm sure we would have been if the Jeep had come with 3.73.

Down the road I might consider spending the money to change to 3.73, but for now, we felt that money was better spent on wheels, tires, lift, and tint. If the cost/money was no object, we *might* switch to 3.73, but we sure don't feel any strong motivation or need to do so.

__________________
May God Continue to Bless the Great State of Arizona
~~~~~~~~~~~~
2016 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock ~ Tank
AEV 17" Argent Pintler Wheels
Nitto 35x12.5 R17 LT Trail Grappler Tires
AEV 2.5" Coil Kit Lift, Geometry Correction, & ProCal
DHart is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #43
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,428
FYI, the automatic does a lot of covering up for the inadequacy of the 3.21 gears with 35's.

Check your RPMs going down the freeway. If you're in the 2,000+ range, the transmission is not shifting into overdrive. And I guarantee that any time you hit even a mild hill, you're shifting out of overdrive (if you ever get the transmission to shift into it in the first place).

If you're not using overdrive, the torque converter will never lock up.

If the torque converter never locks up, you're giving away 1-2MPG at least.

Getting more appropriate gears (i.e. 4.10 to 4.88) will let your transmission shift into overdrive and lock up the torque converter, giving you better mileage.
__________________
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1991 MJ - 2.5/AX5/D35
1987 MJ - 4.0/BA10-5/D35
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Like Xcrossbow, above, our 2013 JKU Sahara came with 3.21 and we immediately went with the AEV 2.5" lift and Nitto 35x12.5xR17 tires... and finding the combination works just fine for us.

As I've read so much about going with lower gearing I've wondered if I need that. But when driving the Jeep with 3.21, I find it plenty quick in getting around. The only time I've thought I might appreciate lower gearing is when wanting to go very slow crawl-speed in off-roading descents, which we don't do a LOT of. If we did that often, I might be more motivated to go with lower gearing.

I'd say whatever the gearing in the Jeep you buy, drive it with what it has for a while, to decide if you really NEED to change the gearing.

We're content with the 3.21 at present, as I'm sure we would have been if the Jeep had come with 3.73.

Down the road I might consider spending the money to change to 3.73, but for now, we felt that money was better spent on wheels, tires, lift, and tint. If the cost/money was no object, we *might* switch to 3.73, but we sure don't feel any strong motivation or need to do so.

I would say money well spent. Very Very nice Jeep. Great color combo.
__________________
2015 Sahara Unlimited 24G Tank Alpine JWS Evo J Auto AC Connectivity Grp Body Colored Hardtop
JTank is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #45
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
NoGaBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATL, GA
Posts: 5,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty Lee View Post

A wise man taught me to make your point once and then walk away. Don't repeat yourself.
But you already said that in #37.

Quote:
Cheers. Have a good weekend.
Back atcha!
__________________
NoGaBiker

Current: Anvil '14 Willys JK 6M, 4.56, G2 rear shafts; Eaton e-lockers, G2 D44 axle up front; 4:1 t-case; RE 2.5" long-arm, 35x10.5" Kenda for Street/37" Interco for Trail;
Previous: Hunter Green '92 XJ Cherokee Laredo 4.0; White 92 XJ Cherokee Limited 4.0; '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi-powered drone
NoGaBiker is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #46
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Stitches1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post

History is even more fun than gear ratios!
I love history. My Time Life books.







Back on topic. 3.21 for slightly better MPG. 3.73 for will handle hills better, as well as being better if you plan on future mods like larger tires.
Stitches1974 is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #47
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
NoGaBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATL, GA
Posts: 5,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

Dang, that's a gorgeous Jeep, don't care if it IS two doors too long.

(And don't even think about regearing to 3.73. Not at all worth a couple grand for that small a difference. Go to 4.56 at least if you're going to do it.)
__________________
NoGaBiker

Current: Anvil '14 Willys JK 6M, 4.56, G2 rear shafts; Eaton e-lockers, G2 D44 axle up front; 4:1 t-case; RE 2.5" long-arm, 35x10.5" Kenda for Street/37" Interco for Trail;
Previous: Hunter Green '92 XJ Cherokee Laredo 4.0; White 92 XJ Cherokee Limited 4.0; '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi-powered drone
NoGaBiker is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
DHart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTank View Post
I would say money well spent. Very Very nice Jeep. Great color combo.
Thank you, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
Dang, that's a gorgeous Jeep, don't care if it IS two doors too long.

(And don't even think about regearing to 3.73. Not at all worth a couple grand for that small a difference. Go to 4.56 at least if you're going to do it.)
NoGaBiker.... thank you, sir, as well. And for the suggestion on gearing.

__________________
May God Continue to Bless the Great State of Arizona
~~~~~~~~~~~~
2016 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock ~ Tank
AEV 17" Argent Pintler Wheels
Nitto 35x12.5 R17 LT Trail Grappler Tires
AEV 2.5" Coil Kit Lift, Geometry Correction, & ProCal
DHart is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #49
Jeeper
 
Gogogordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Winchester, Ca
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
It's only religious for some people who choose to ignore physics and adamantly insist their opinion is right for others.
LOL- so ^^this, and your next post #43 then?
Gogogordy is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #50
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
LOL- so ^^this, and your next post #43 then?
Funny how that works......
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
LOL- so ^^this, and your next post #43 then?
I posted technical specifications and resulting behavior along with a way to optimize the setup.

Where did I tell anyone to make the change, even if they're happy?
__________________
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1991 MJ - 2.5/AX5/D35
1987 MJ - 4.0/BA10-5/D35
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 723
That Jeep looks cool as Hell, just sayin'.

[/QUOTE]
Chitownpete is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty Lee View Post
The worst thing you want to do, is to marginalize through humor or otherwise the horror that mutation inflicted on millions.
You must have really, really hated Charlie Chaplin then.

Charlie Chaplin - the Great Dictator.
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-JK, 6 spd., 1995 Jeep Wrangler S, 2.5, 4 cyl., 2010 Chrysler 300 Touring/Signature Edition, 2003 2500 SLT, QC, LB, ETH, DEE, 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R (F53/V10/5spd TQShift) 2002 Nissan Xterra 4WD/V6
Other: 2010 Kubota MX4700 with FEL, 1977 Kubota L185.
DryCreek is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #54
Jeeper
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
If you're not using overdrive, the torque converter will never lock up.

If the torque converter never locks up, you're giving away 1-2MPG at least.
And you're adding a heckuva lot of heat to your radiator.
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-JK, 6 spd., 1995 Jeep Wrangler S, 2.5, 4 cyl., 2010 Chrysler 300 Touring/Signature Edition, 2003 2500 SLT, QC, LB, ETH, DEE, 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R (F53/V10/5spd TQShift) 2002 Nissan Xterra 4WD/V6
Other: 2010 Kubota MX4700 with FEL, 1977 Kubota L185.
DryCreek is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
Smitty Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
You must have really, really hated Charlie Chaplin then.

Charlie Chaplin - the Great Dictator.
Go sort your socks. "The Great Dictator" was made in 1940 long before the horrors perpetrated by Hitler were fully known. Now get that creek irrigated. This ain't no filmography forum. By the way, the 3 Stooges did the same in "You Nazty Spy" also made in 1940.
Smitty Lee is offline   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #56
THE GODFATHER

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ. In the Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry..
Posts: 27,444
O.K., let's get past the Hitler comments and stay on the OP's Title topic. 3.21 verses 3.73 gearing.
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Grizzly is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....


Click here and become a WF supporting Member
Old Dogger is online now   Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #57
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,620
My gears are just "perfect" just saying..... Just where I like them too.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:56 AM   #58
Jeeper
 
DHart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownpete View Post
That Jeep looks cool as Hell, just sayin'.

[/QUOTE]

ChitownPete.... thanks, buddy!
__________________
May God Continue to Bless the Great State of Arizona
~~~~~~~~~~~~
2016 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock ~ Tank
AEV 17" Argent Pintler Wheels
Nitto 35x12.5 R17 LT Trail Grappler Tires
AEV 2.5" Coil Kit Lift, Geometry Correction, & ProCal
DHart is offline   Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #59
Jeeper
 
sneaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcrossbow View Post
My 13 JKU came with the 3.21 and I have installed 35's and find that it still works fine for me. I usually do 2 trips a year back to Maryland from Georgia and my MPG is usually pretty acceptable. It's been since Jan since my last trip but I think I usually average between 17-18 but I've never corrected my speedo which I believe runs about 10% slow so I'm thinking my odometer is also "slow". My preference would have been a 3.73 but when I need a little more grunt I actually enjoy shifting the automatic to manual mode.
get a procal asap....it made a huge difference ,even with my 373s and 35s.....feels like a new car again
sneaton is offline   Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #60
Jeeper
 
sneaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 970
ChitownPete.... thanks, buddy! [/QUOTE]

stock tire carrier? if so, how long and hows it holding up?

sneaton is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.