4.75 Backspacing + 315 + Stock Tire Carrier? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Argent
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
biketsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 336
4.75 Backspacing + 315 + Stock Tire Carrier?

Planning on getting a new setup soon and I wanted to hear from you guys if anyone has this setup and if it bolted up to the stock carrier without modification (or if they needed modification) in order to fit snug. Will I need to cut or buy the Daystar nubs?

15' JKU
Stock Tire Carrier
Stock rear bumper
4.75"/0 backspacing (Method NV 305 17x8.5") wheels
315/70/17 Duratrac

I know some people with similar setups that have bolted up to the stock tire carrier without spacers or issues. Thanks in advance! Any pics would be appreciated too.

__________________
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara
Mopar 2" Lift, Fox Shocks, AEV brackets
315/70/17 Duratrac , 17x8.5 Method Race NV
biketsai is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:42 AM
Thread Starter
  #2
Jeeper
 
biketsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 336
bump

__________________
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara
Mopar 2" Lift, Fox Shocks, AEV brackets
315/70/17 Duratrac , 17x8.5 Method Race NV
biketsai is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
Nature Photog and Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Argent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in the 'Verse
Posts: 2,981
I don't have bigger tires - but I do have new rims and the stock bump stops don't reach the tire.....so I improvised

drrags likes this.
__________________
~Paul

-[O l l l l l l l O]- Serenity build thread (2014 Hydro Blue Freedom Edition JKU)

Wicked Jeeps Southeast Michigan Chapter
Argent is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
MacCTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 927
Should fit no problem, M5ivan ran that tire on AEV wheels with 5.2" backspacing and I am pretty sure it fit on the stock carrier without issue.
MacCTD is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,428
I ran the same tire on 17x9 wheels with 4.5" backspacing.

The bottom of the tire rested on the bumper so I didn't need to worry about the bump stops on the tailgate.

But it was a temporary thing because a tire that heavy will damage the hinges on your tailgate over time and you really need to install something to hold that extra weight.
__________________
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1991 MJ - 2.5/AX5/D35
1987 MJ - 4.0/BA10-5/D35
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
biketsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I ran the same tire on 17x9 wheels with 4.5" backspacing.

The bottom of the tire rested on the bumper so I didn't need to worry about the bump stops on the tailgate.

But it was a temporary thing because a tire that heavy will damage the hinges on your tailgate over time and you really need to install something to hold that extra weight.
The duratracs are only 15lbs more than the stock KM2. I think it will be fine with 15 more lbs.
__________________
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara
Mopar 2" Lift, Fox Shocks, AEV brackets
315/70/17 Duratrac , 17x8.5 Method Race NV
biketsai is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by biketsai View Post
The duratracs are only 15lbs more than the stock KM2. I think it will be fine with 15 more lbs.
Suit yourself.
__________________
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1991 MJ - 2.5/AX5/D35
1987 MJ - 4.0/BA10-5/D35
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #8
Wrangler Forum Crew

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 15,338
OM calls out 85lbs as max weight for the rear carrier, add it up and see where you are.
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
biketsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
OM calls out 85lbs as max weight for the rear carrier, add it up and see where you are.
60lbs for 315/70/17 Duratrac
Wheels around 25-30lbs.
__________________
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara
Mopar 2" Lift, Fox Shocks, AEV brackets
315/70/17 Duratrac , 17x8.5 Method Race NV
biketsai is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
Wrangler Forum Crew

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 15,338
I show 63.17 lbs for the tire and 28.1 for the wheel putting you at 91.27.
Plus 3 big heavy lugs and a HUGE third brake light. Probably 30 lbs between those two.

In all seriousness: Your Jeep, your call. IMO it will be just fine short term, but you should have a long term plan.
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
sneaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
I show 63.17 lbs for the tire and 28.1 for the wheel putting you at 91.27.
Plus 3 big heavy lugs and a HUGE third brake light. Probably 30 lbs between those two.

In all seriousness: Your Jeep, your call. IMO it will be just fine short term, but you should have a long term plan.
i see 60 for the duratrac and 17" alloys should be 25...what does the oem brake light and oem lugs have to do with it? if the tire wheel combo is 15lbs heavier than the stock rubi wheel is that really too much? it seems like they would over engineer it a little considering they could possibly have a 70+ pound tire bouncing down the highway
sneaton is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #12
Jeeper

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Moonrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,713
I had the same set up on my carrier for a year till i added Teraflex hinged carrier. There are lot of pictures that show damage to the tailgate, it is not a myth and can happen to anyone. If you decide to run factory carrier just make sure it does not rattle and is solid.
Moonrider is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
Wrangler Forum Crew

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 15,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaton View Post
what does the oem brake light and oem lugs have to do with it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMknMZP_zX4

Maybe because they're on the carrier too? It was intended as humor, <<usually denotes humor....

Quote:
it seems like they would over engineer it a little considering they could possibly have a 70+ pound tire bouncing down the highway
They did, they engineered it to 85 lbs.
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
NotARubicon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 2,708
Just put my new BFG 315 on my stock carrier today. My wheel offset is 5" so i had to get longer bumpstops.. i dont have the stock rear bumper and it worked out perfect because the tire just rests on it.. so i'm thinking the tailgate will survive.
NotARubicon! is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
JimmyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
Should fit no problem, M5ivan ran that tire on AEV wheels with 5.2" backspacing and I am pretty sure it fit on the stock carrier without issue.
I'm using the stock carrier for now with AEV Saltas. I had to add different bump stops, as the stocks don't reach.
JimmyW is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
biketsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW View Post
I'm using the stock carrier for now with AEV Saltas. I had to add different bump stops, as the stocks don't reach.
Did it rub your bumper? What Tire?

Does anyone have additional commentary on this setup with stock bumper? Sounds like I need those Daystar bumpstops.
__________________
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara
Mopar 2" Lift, Fox Shocks, AEV brackets
315/70/17 Duratrac , 17x8.5 Method Race NV
biketsai is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
MacCTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 927
I ran 315/70/17 BFG Radial All Terrains on AEV Pintlers, fit on the stock carrier fine, just cleared the bumper. I bought the Daystar bump stops, I did not care for them, they were super soft and provided very little support, one of them tore in half when I installed it as the "threads" where it goes into the tailgate are not the correct size. I would make my own bump stop extensions as others have done with a piece of hose that fits over or in the current bump stop.
MacCTD is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
JimmyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by biketsai View Post
Did it rub your bumper? What Tire?

Does anyone have additional commentary on this setup with stock bumper? Sounds like I need those Daystar bumpstops.
No, I have about 1" to spare with the Hard Rock bumper. Plus the rear brake light clears the tire. The tires are 285x75x17 Toyo AT2s, which are just under 34". I used the Daystars, and I agree with MacCTD. They are soft. I'd be careful when you cut them to allow a little extra length. Schwab actually cut them too short, but bought me a new set. I'm leaning toward getting the Teraflex mount, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150625_175131063.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	2446137  
JimmyW is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #19
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 23,119
Get a proper tire carrier. It's part of the cost of 35's along with a ProCal or similar programmer.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
JimmyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Get a proper tire carrier. It's part of the cost of 35's along with a ProCal or similar programmer.
Agree. True 35"s would be close. I think weight also may be an issue. My tires weigh 3#s more that the 315 Duratracs and 16# more than stock. I don't know the what the stock or my AEV Salta rims weigh. The reduction in backspace also adds a leverage factor.
JimmyW is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #21
Wrangler Forum Crew

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 15,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Get a proper tire carrier. It's part of the cost of 35's along with a ProCal or similar programmer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW View Post
Agree. True 35"s would be close. I think weight also may be an issue. My tires weigh 3#s more that the 315 Duratracs and 16# more than stock. I don't know the what the stock or my AEV Salta rims weigh. The reduction in backspace also adds a leverage factor.
Agree, not sure why OP seems hesitant. ??
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Thread Starter
  #22
Jeeper
 
biketsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
Agree, not sure why OP seems hesitant. ??
Procal-Check
Tire Carrier- From my research I do not think the 315 Duratrac will cause that much added stress compared to a Trail Grapper or most tires out there. I am a little hesitant at the moment just because of funds. If it were absolutely necessary I would get it sooner but I personally do not think it is.
__________________
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara
Mopar 2" Lift, Fox Shocks, AEV brackets
315/70/17 Duratrac , 17x8.5 Method Race NV
biketsai is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
Agree, not sure why OP seems hesitant. ??
Solutions for properly hanging a tire are not cheap. The 35's are expensive as it is.

It was not worth the long term risk for me but I saved up to buy my tire carrier and finally got it installed about 6 months after getting my 35's. In that 6 months I probably didn't do too much damage.
__________________
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1991 MJ - 2.5/AX5/D35
1987 MJ - 4.0/BA10-5/D35
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #24
Wrangler Forum Crew

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 15,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by biketsai View Post
Procal-Check
Tire Carrier- From my research I do not think the 315 Duratrac will cause that much added stress compared to a Trail Grapper or most tires out there. I am a little hesitant at the moment just because of funds. If it were absolutely necessary I would get it sooner but I personally do not think it is.

Like I said earlier, I think short term it's OK
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
MacCTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by biketsai View Post
Procal-Check
Tire Carrier- From my research I do not think the 315 Duratrac will cause that much added stress compared to a Trail Grapper or most tires out there. I am a little hesitant at the moment just because of funds. If it were absolutely necessary I would get it sooner but I personally do not think it is.
I agree with you on the spare carrier, I ran a 315/70/17 on an AEV Pintler on my spare for well over a year and 12k miles with no issues on my '12. On my '14 I have a Toyo 285/75/17 on the stock wheel, stock carrier, this is roughly the same weight and size as the BFG. I do not have any concerns.
IMO, the spare tire carrier weakness on newer JKs is way overplayed on WF.
MacCTD is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
JimmyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
I agree with you on the spare carrier, I ran a 315/70/17 on an AEV Pintler on my spare for well over a year and 12k miles with no issues on my '12. On my '14 I have a Toyo 285/75/17 on the stock wheel, stock carrier, this is roughly the same weight and size as the BFG. I do not have any concerns.
Sorry for going off-topic a little, but were you running spacers with those tires/wheels? I would think you'd have to, but I'm a little new to building up a JK.
JimmyW is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
MacCTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW View Post
Sorry for going off-topic a little, but were you running spacers with those tires/wheels? I would think you'd have to, but I'm a little new to building up a JK.
No, no spacers. They do not rub, that being said I have not done any serious off roading and heavily flexed the suspension so it is possible they could but for my use they work great without spacers.

MacCTD is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.