AEV and Quadratec Wheels? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadowmaker
  • 2 Post By GuzziMoto
  • 2 Post By Wild Weasel
  • 4 Post By jadmt
  • 2 Post By Wild Weasel
  • 1 Post By USStrongman
  • 1 Post By don mega
  • 1 Post By Wild Weasel
  • 2 Post By sbsyncro
  • 2 Post By jadmt
  • 1 Post By Shadowmaker
  • 1 Post By sbsyncro
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-03-2019, 07:58 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Col. Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Wappingers Falls, N.Y.
Posts: 279
AEV and Quadratec Wheels?

I am looking to get a set of wheels to mount some 315s.... I don't have any actual experience with either AEV or Quadratec wheels.... I have a JK Recon and I do some off roading which includes playing in the rocks... Is there a quality difference in these wheels that justifies the price difference?

Col. Sanders is offline   Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Shadowmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,055
Personally, I enjoy the Quadratec wheels for the OEM look. Quality on the QT has been fantastic, with solid coatings, and the ability to lower the tire pressure to stupid low levels without damaging a tire.
sbsyncro likes this.

__________________
RedRover - 2017 JKUR
Shadowmaker is offline   Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
Moderator

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 4,155
Some aftermarket wheels are better than others. AEV and Quadratec are not at the high end of aftermarket wheels, but they are good enough for me. There are lower quality brands.
Besides quality, wheels are about weight, width, offset, and even things like where the valve stem is located and whether or not it is vulnerable to rocks.
We have AEV Savagre wheels. I like the look, but I also like the quality. And while the valve stem is not in the best location, I think it could be worse. We did add wheel spacers as the AEV wheels tend to run less offset than many other brands and that was causing a tire rub when turning all the way.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-03-2019, 11:33 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Shadowmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
Some aftermarket wheels are better than others. AEV and Quadratec are not at the high end of aftermarket wheels, but they are good enough for me. There are lower quality brands.
Besides quality, wheels are about weight, width, offset, and even things like where the valve stem is located and whether or not it is vulnerable to rocks.
We have AEV Savagre wheels. I like the look, but I also like the quality. And while the valve stem is not in the best location, I think it could be worse. We did add wheel spacers as the AEV wheels tend to run less offset than many other brands and that was causing a tire rub when turning all the way.
Are they a 5.2" backspacing Guzzi? That is what the Quadratecs are.

What size spacers did you choose?
__________________
RedRover - 2017 JKUR
Shadowmaker is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
Moderator

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 4,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmaker View Post
Are they a 5.2" backspacing Guzzi? That is what the Quadratecs are.

What size spacers did you choose?
Yes, the AEV wheels we have are 5.2" backspacing. Most AEV wheels are, but not all.
We have 1.5" spacers. I was going to go with 1.25" spacers from TF, but I ended up getting a good price on a set of 1.5" spacers from SpiderTrax.
I do recommend going with quality spacers, off brand spacers might be fine but something like that I would not trust to "might".
Shadowmaker and Tobymac27 like this.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Wild Weasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,835
I've always liked the AEV Pintlers and really wanted to get some.

I also wasn't thrilled about the price and I also ended up looking at the Quadratec wheels as an alternative, and very nearly pulled the trigger on them.

I love the wheels that came on the 75A and Winter Editions and probably others in various colours and would have bought the Quadratec ones that look just like them but have a better width and offset for bigger tires.

Thing is... in the end... I didn't want to pay all that money and have it look like I just put big tires on OEM wheels. I mean... the appeal is that they look OEM... but it's also a drawback.

So I bit the bullet and bought the AEV's.

I'm happy with what I got, but the idea that quality might be a concern never crossed my mind when it came to the Quadratecs. I generally get the impression that Quadratec values their reputation and when they put their name on things they're not selling crap.

Look at their headlights. They could have some Chinese shop produce something mediocre and slap their name on them but they don't. They have JW Speaker make them a premium product and then sell them at a very reasonable price.

So until I see any reason to change my mind, I generally expect good quality from Quadratec branded stuff and would expect the same from their wheels.
9Mike2 and sbsyncro like this.
__________________
.
Wild Weasel is online now   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,204
I am on my 4th set of AEV rims on 3 different jeeps that all have done a fair amount of offroading and never have I had an issue with rubbing. I personally would not want to run the equivalent of 3.7" BS unless I was running some really wide tires. I have run 35x12.5-17 toyos and 315/70-17 in coopers without issues on tight trails like the dusy ershim, moab and the rubicon along with tougher local trails. The worst that can happen is when really cranked you might rub on the sway bar but that would be in a situation where you were barely moving so it won't//shouldn't hurt anything. If you are running tougher trails you should have already removed your plastic air dam. I guess the other factor is if it is looks and you like the tires sticking out further you could run that low of bs. this is a straight on shot of 315's on 5.2 bs.


__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Wild Weasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I guess the other factor is if it is looks and you like the tires sticking out further you could run that low of bs. this is a straight on shot of 315's on 5.2 bs.
I was worried about exactly that when I ordered my wheels and tires. I DO NOT want my tires sticking out the sides. I hate when other people are chucking rocks at me on the road and don't want to be that guy to other people.

I am very happy with the results. I got the Pintlers and KO2's in 315/70r17 and only the bulge of the sidewalls sticks out a little from the sides. The tread lugs are fully under the fenders and in front of my AEV rear mudflaps.
9Mike2 and USStrongman like this.
__________________
.
Wild Weasel is online now   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
rgreen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S. Georgia
Posts: 6,174
Then there is also the great customer service at Quadratec. They are available and don't blow smoke up your rear. They are honest in their appraisal.

I was going to put a new top on my TJ last year. There is always Bestop. Then there are a myriad of others in various levels of pricing at less than the Bestop ticket. My question was about a Quadratec branded top and in comparison to a Bestop product. I kinda of expected the first response to be that their top was just as good as Bestop.

Instead, I got the observation that a budget priced top is not going to have the quality level of Bestop. Their product is priced at a lower level but won't stand up to the service life of a Bestop.

I bought a set of aftermarket hinges for my half doors and were not what I expected. I called to send them back and asked about the process. They explained what to do, and when I got notification that the shipment had arrived in their warehouse, the credit was in my account the next morning. Unlike some vendors where it takes weeks.

When I bought new wheels for my TJ, the only decision process I was going through was which Quadratec wheel and was I staying 16" or going 15". When my 16" wheels arrived and I opened the first box, I was very impressed with the quality of the wheel and packaging.
__________________
2003 Light Khaki TJ Rubicon, Manual, Soft Top
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara, Auto, Hard Top - Traded
2017 Chief JKU Chief, Auto, Hard Top
rgreen65 is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
Moderator

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 4,155
I only added the spacers to our AEV wheels because I got tired of the 37" KO2 rubbing when you try to turn all the way left or right. Plus, our flat fenders are kinda wide and actually the spacers bring the tires out the the edge of the flat fenders we are running. So even with the backspacing and spacers the tires are still covered by the fenders.
I wanted the 1.25" TF spacers, but I figured that 0.25" would not make much of a difference. Time will tell.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Quadratec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Sanders View Post
I am looking to get a set of wheels to mount some 315s.... I don't have any actual experience with either AEV or Quadratec wheels.... I have a JK Recon and I do some off roading which includes playing in the rocks... Is there a quality difference in these wheels that justifies the price difference?

Hey there,

Both the AEV and Quadratec wheels are great. I run Quadratec wheels on my JK and on my WK.

Some of the Quadratec wheels have backspacing of 5.2 and others have 4.75 inches. If you go with ones that have 5.2 and you are putting a larger tire on you may need to use wheel spacers. I would recommend the Spidertrax spacers.

I have the Quadratec 41s on my JK

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/41-wheel-satin-black-jeep-wrangler-jk-jl-and-grand-cherokee-wj-wk-wk2



The Xtreme Wheels are what I have on my WK

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/rubicon-xtreme-wheel-black-jeep-wrangler-jk-and-grand-cherokee-wj-wk-wk2



I also like the Hardrock wheels:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/hardrock-wheel-black-machined-accents-jeep-wrangler-jk-and-grand-cherokee-wj



With the Quadratec wheels we are able to offer a forum discount. On the AEV wheels we are unable to discount at all unfortunately.

The Pintler wheels are very popular

https://www.quadratec.com/p/aev/pintler-wheel-black-jeep-wrangler-jk-and-grand-cherokee-wj-wk-wk2



Here is a link to all of the Alloy wheels that we offer. You can choose the brand and the size on the left hand side of the page and your Jeep from the drop down menu.

https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_wheels/alloy_wheels

Have great day,
Hailey
__________________

We Price Match, PM us for a quote
Forum Member Discounts

Active Hours: 9am-5pm EST Monday - Friday
Wrangler PartsWrangler WheelsWrangler TiresWrangler Lift KitsWrangler BumpersWrangler Soft Tops
Quadratec is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
USStrongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: West Texas & Yellowstone
Posts: 2,403
I went with AEV Saltas because I was trying to get away from the OEM look and wanted the function of recessed valve stems and the craftsmanship that comes with AEV.
9Mike2 likes this.
__________________
2016 JKU Oscar Mike in Granite Crystal (RIP)
2017 JKU Winter Edition in Chief
USStrongman is online now   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
Thing is... in the end... I didn't want to pay all that money and have it look like I just put big tires on OEM wheels. I mean... the appeal is that they look OEM... but it's also a drawback.
They have a concave face though while the stock wheels have an almost flat face. A jeep guy would probably notice them right away in person but they do look the same in the catalog.
Wild Weasel likes this.
don mega is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Wild Weasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by don mega View Post
They have a concave face though while the stock wheels have an almost flat face. A jeep guy would probably notice them right away in person but they do look the same in the catalog.
Googling for pictures, I think I can see what you're talking about. The Quadratec wheel is shown above. This is the Winter Edition. It does look flatter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinterEdition.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	4155239  
9Mike2 likes this.
__________________
.
Wild Weasel is online now   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
sbsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 462
AEV and Quadratec Wheels?

I went through this process very recently and did a lot of research. I narrowed it down between the AEV Borah and the Q-tec Hardrock. I spoke with reps from both companies and both were great but I was REALLY impressed with Paul from AEV.

AEV
I really like the look of the AEV Borah and the flexibility of running it as beadlock or regular. However you really need to pick a configuration and then stay with it. Realizing that I would not want to run beadlocks on the street, this was much less of an advantage for me.

The thought and engineering that goes into AEV wheels sounds impressive - they are designed to maintain OEM “scrub radius” but on 35” or 37” tires. Weight of the Borah is about 40 lbs and cost was about $400 per wheel with trim rings. Weight was a big consideration for me, as I don’t want to spend on big brakes right now. (I’m still recovering from the check I wrote to acquire the Jeep).

Q-Tec Hardrock
Same backspace and overall dimension as the Borah, but 15 lbs lighter per wheel and about 1/3 the price. No beadlock option. There is a thread here with 24 pages of people’s pix and comments about these wheels. I didn’t see a single report of problems running 315/70R17 tires. I personally like the look of my factory Rubicon wheels, so I’m happy to find this “dished” version with more clearance for big tires and a lift.

I went with the Quadratrac Hardrock wheels. They arrive this week and I should have them in the Jeep with KO2 315s by this time next week.

Quadratec Hardrock thread:
Quadratec Hardrock Wheels: impressions, pics!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quadratec and Shadowmaker like this.
__________________
2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | Bilstein 5100s | MCE Flares | G2 4.88 Gears | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Synergy Steering & LCAs| Tom Woods F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | ARB CKMA12 | Q-tec Hardrock wheels w/ 315/70 BFG KO2s
sbsyncro is online now   Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
sbsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 462
Posted an update with the new Quadratec wheels and BFG 315s:

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/q...l#post34376073

__________________
2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | Bilstein 5100s | MCE Flares | G2 4.88 Gears | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Synergy Steering & LCAs| Tom Woods F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | ARB CKMA12 | Q-tec Hardrock wheels w/ 315/70 BFG KO2s
sbsyncro is online now   Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
sbsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 462
Posting back to this thread with a relevant update. Since my previous post I have been running the Q-tec Hardrock wheels mounted with BFG KO2s in 315/70. Love the look, but have issues with slight rubbing on my Rock Krawler LCAs (tolerable) but also interference with the factory fenders when off-road (I'm talking overland style, not extreme rock crawling).

I've replaced the OEM fenders with MCE wide fenders to address the clearance problems with the factory fenders.



After about 6,000 miles of driving this setup, I've decided I really don't like maintaining jam nuts that constantly come loose and cause problems, so I'm replacing all the adjustable RK parts with Synergy ones, and adding a complete steering kit (tie rod and drag link along with steering sector shaft brace).

And now the cascading effect of these mods leads to needing spacers on the Quadratec Hardrock wheels, which really bums me out. Apparently the Synergy (or any aftermarket) tie rod requires more backspace than the AEV or Q-Tec wheels. I wish I'd known this when I started. No one at AEV or Quadratec ever mentioned this problem, and I would imagine it is a relatively common one.

Now I have two choices - add spacers (probably the Terraflex 1.25" ones) or replace all 5 wheels and go through the hassle (and expense) of un-mounting, mounting, balancing, etc.

For $200 I'll be addding spacers for now, but I'm really not looking forward to the look of running 315/70's with 4" backspace. Oh well... I'm learning that owning a Jeep is a constant process of buying and swapping stuff. People joke about boats being expensive. I think I spend 4x as much on my Jeep as I do to maintain a 23' Parker that is slipped in saltwater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
I only added the spacers to our AEV wheels because I got tired of the 37" KO2 rubbing when you try to turn all the way left or right. Plus, our flat fenders are kinda wide and actually the spacers bring the tires out the the edge of the flat fenders we are running. So even with the backspacing and spacers the tires are still covered by the fenders.
I wanted the 1.25" TF spacers, but I figured that 0.25" would not make much of a difference. Time will tell.
Guzzi, I'm curious if you have any pictures with your setup (the 1.5" spacers on 5.2" BS AEV wheels) that show the stance with your 12.5" wide tires?
__________________
2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | Bilstein 5100s | MCE Flares | G2 4.88 Gears | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Synergy Steering & LCAs| Tom Woods F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | ARB CKMA12 | Q-tec Hardrock wheels w/ 315/70 BFG KO2s
sbsyncro is online now   Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
Posting back to this thread with a relevant update. Since my previous post I have been running the Q-tec Hardrock wheels mounted with BFG KO2s in 315/70. Love the look, but have issues with slight rubbing on my Rock Krawler LCAs (tolerable) but also interference with the factory fenders when off-road (I'm talking overland style, not extreme rock crawling).

I've replaced the OEM fenders with MCE wide fenders to address the clearance problems with the factory fenders.



After about 6,000 miles of driving this setup, I've decided I really don't like maintaining jam nuts that constantly come loose and cause problems, so I'm replacing all the adjustable RK parts with Synergy ones, and adding a complete steering kit (tie rod and drag link along with steering sector shaft brace).

And now the cascading effect of these mods leads to needing spacers on the Quadratec Hardrock wheels, which really bums me out. Apparently the Synergy (or any aftermarket) tie rod requires more backspace than the AEV or Q-Tec wheels. I wish I'd known this when I started. No one at AEV or Quadratec ever mentioned this problem, and I would imagine it is a relatively common one.

Now I have two choices - add spacers (probably the Terraflex 1.25" ones) or replace all 5 wheels and go through the hassle (and expense) of un-mounting, mounting, balancing, etc.

For $200 I'll be addding spacers for now, but I'm really not looking forward to the look of running 315/70's with 4" backspace. Oh well... I'm learning that owning a Jeep is a constant process of buying and swapping stuff. People joke about boats being expensive. I think I spend 4x as much on my Jeep as I do to maintain a 23' Parker that is slipped in saltwater!
I ran AEV rims with Toyo 35's and a Steersmart hd tie rod with no issues.
Lusus_Naturae and sbsyncro like this.
__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
sbsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I ran AEV rims with Toyo 35's and a Steersmart hd tie rod with no issues.
I see a lot of posts on the AEV forums from people saying that (and have not seen reports of people who did have problems), but things seem very tight, and the luck I've had so far with this RK lift is that it seems to cause more interference in various places than people report with other lifts.

I'm taking the Jeep to Polyperformance (I live about 90 minutes from them) for the install, and having the 1.25" spacers ready in a box will give me piece of mind in case I run into trouble..

If I end up not needing them, I'll have a set of 1.25" spacers for sale. ;-)
__________________
2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | Bilstein 5100s | MCE Flares | G2 4.88 Gears | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Synergy Steering & LCAs| Tom Woods F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | ARB CKMA12 | Q-tec Hardrock wheels w/ 315/70 BFG KO2s
sbsyncro is online now   Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #20
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
I see a lot of posts on the AEV forums from people saying that (and have not seen reports of people who did have problems), but things seem very tight, and the luck I've had so far with this RK lift is that it seems to cause more interference in various places than people report with other lifts.

I'm taking the Jeep to Polyperformance (I live about 90 minutes from them) for the install, and having the 1.25" spacers ready in a box will give me piece of mind in case I run into trouble..

If I end up not needing them, I'll have a set of 1.25" spacers for sale. ;-)
the above jeep is a with a RK lift I ran TF monster track bar, and Steersmart DL and TR. It did most of the tougher trails in Moab and the Dusy ershim with no issues. A little rubbing on the swaybar or frame when max turning going 2mph is not going to hurt anything.
__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
sbsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
the above jeep is a with a RK lift I ran TF monster track bar, and Steersmart DL and TR. It did most of the tougher trails in Moab and the Dusy ershim with no issues. A little rubbing on the swaybar or frame when max turning going 2mph is not going to hurt anything.
I'm hoping you're right and I end up with an unneeded set of spacers. For me $200 was worth the insurance of not having to worry about the "oops, things don't fit right" problem after driving 3 hours, spending two nights in a hotel with my wife for a "little get-away".

My wife's tolerance for that sort of thing ended about 20 years ago when we got stuck in Pomona, CA for three days (one was her birthday) while we waited for Tri County Gear to finish a transfer case rebuild, Warn OD install, and rebuild a blown rear end that happened to our CJ5 as we came off the freeway to their shop (it was supposed to be a one-day install)...
__________________
2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | Bilstein 5100s | MCE Flares | G2 4.88 Gears | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Synergy Steering & LCAs| Tom Woods F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | ARB CKMA12 | Q-tec Hardrock wheels w/ 315/70 BFG KO2s
sbsyncro is online now   Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thunder Bay ON Canada
Posts: 4,983
Check the wheel backspacing. Most AEV wheels are 5.2” backspace which is fine for most 35s (not 35” Pitbull Rockers) but definitely not for 37s. The Prefered backspace for the JKU/JK is 4.5 to 4.75”.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

2018 Rhino Rubicon 35s for now.

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited (GONE) My BRUTUS BUILD
JTPhoto JK is offline   Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
sbsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK View Post
Check the wheel backspacing. Most AEV wheels are 5.2” backspace which is fine for most 35s (not 35” Pitbull Rockers) but definitely not for 37s. The Prefered backspace for the JKU/JK is 4.5 to 4.75”.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. My Q-tec Hardrockl wheels are 5.2" just like the AEV Pintler, Salta, and Borah wheels. This provides a number of advantages, including re-capturing the factory designed scrub radius when running 35" or 37" tires. However, it is more likely to cause problems with interference, which I've seen first-hand with rubbing on the LCAs and OEM fenders, even with 3" of lift in the front.
__________________
2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | Bilstein 5100s | MCE Flares | G2 4.88 Gears | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Synergy Steering & LCAs| Tom Woods F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | ARB CKMA12 | Q-tec Hardrock wheels w/ 315/70 BFG KO2s
sbsyncro is online now   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
USStrongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: West Texas & Yellowstone
Posts: 2,403
All but Borahs are 5.2" with +10mm BS. All weights are 33lbs.

Borahs are 4.9" with +4mm BS. With or without beadlocks obviously. No weight listed for Borah in either flavor.
__________________
2016 JKU Oscar Mike in Granite Crystal (RIP)
2017 JKU Winter Edition in Chief
USStrongman is online now   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #25
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by USStrongman View Post
All but Borahs are 5.2" with +10mm BS. All weights are 33lbs.

Borahs are 4.9" with +4mm BS. With or without beadlocks obviously. No weight listed for Borah in either flavor.
actual weights are different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4CFFB468-C3F7-49FB-9305-5A442BA32CA6.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	4190559   Click image for larger version

Name:	AABF9DFA-3688-4441-83B8-FF6EEBD9BDA4.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	4190561  

__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
USStrongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: West Texas & Yellowstone
Posts: 2,403
Kind of figured they might. Their website shows them all to be 33lbs. A lot less material in the Pintler than the Salta or Savegre. Never weighed my Saltas.
__________________
2016 JKU Oscar Mike in Granite Crystal (RIP)
2017 JKU Winter Edition in Chief
USStrongman is online now   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Shadowmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,055
Wish QT had those Hard Rocks with 4.75"+ backspacing. I went to a larger tire size so I swapped over to another wheel. Loved them whilst they were mounted.
sbsyncro likes this.
__________________
RedRover - 2017 JKUR
Shadowmaker is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:02 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
sbsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmaker View Post
Wish QT had those Hard Rocks with 4.75"+ backspacing. I went to a larger tire size so I swapped over to another wheel. Loved them whilst they were mounted.
The thing that sold me on the 5.2" backspace was an hour long conversation with one of the engineers at AEV. He educated me on the concept of "scrub radius" and its importance to handling/steering.

Supposedly the AEV wheels are designed to have the same scrub radius as the stock setup was engineered for, but is lost when you move to larger (35" or 37" ) tires.

The idea was that 5.2" was enough BS for *most* applications and would not compromise handling the way that less BS will do. (like 4 or 4.5 or 4.75). My plan was to get a set of Borahs, but then I learned that (a) they used a different BS so didn't have the same advantage (b) were pretty heavy with the bead locks and (c) were terrifyingly expensive for a set of 5.

Since the hardrock wheels seem to be essentially copying the hub-centric, 5.2" backspace design of the AEV wheels, I figured they would also benefit from this engineering and design thinking, so I guiltily went that way after my AEV-provided education.

But... The 5.2"backspace is too much for some situations... (like running big tie rod ends or really wide tires on wide wheels)
Shadowmaker likes this.

__________________
2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | Bilstein 5100s | MCE Flares | G2 4.88 Gears | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Synergy Steering & LCAs| Tom Woods F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | ARB CKMA12 | Q-tec Hardrock wheels w/ 315/70 BFG KO2s
sbsyncro is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.