AEV Diff Cover - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Strokerswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,663
AEV Diff Cover

American Expedition Vehicles - Brute Kit, V8 HEMI, Aftermarket Jeep Conversions, Products, Wheels, Accessories and Highline Kits for Jeeps (TJ, JK, WK, XK).

Want.

Please, please AEV - make one for the D30 axle as well!

__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
'98 TJ SE - '99 TJ Sahara - '12 JK Arctic - '13 JK Sahara

'19 Ford F-150 RCSB 4X4
Strokerswild is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
CoreyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,254
They are nice... wish they were a little cheaper though

CoreyZ is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Strokerswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,663
Yeah, but you get what you pay for with them....
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
'98 TJ SE - '99 TJ Sahara - '12 JK Arctic - '13 JK Sahara

'19 Ford F-150 RCSB 4X4
Strokerswild is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,721
Unless you are doing some severe rock crawling, I would suggest purple cranium diff spyders.

Plus you don't have to dump your diff fluid all over the garage to install one.

Ran them for years and beat them up pretty good. Great product.
Bent jeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
armergedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Colorado/Afghanistan
Posts: 59
They are nice but the bombshells are half the price and do the job.
armergedon is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Raiderfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knob Noster, MO
Posts: 7,380
Yeah I was looking around at different diff covers that are available. Not sure why they're so damn expensive.
Raiderfan001 is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
2013 Moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sullivan Cnty, NY
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
Yeah I was looking around at different diff covers that are available. Not sure why they're so damn expensive.
Because us nut jobs will pay their price.
I love me some AEV products though, I have quite a bit of their stuff on my jeep and it's all top quality... It only hurts once.
2013 Moab is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
Yeah I was looking around at different diff covers that are available. Not sure why they're so damn expensive.
The nodular iron covers all seem to be in the same price range: MOPAR ($220), AEV ($200), Rancho ($170)
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 3,308
Another option is the MOPAR DMC1659744 - MOPAR® Differential Cover Skid Plate

It's a half shell so rocks won't sneak in there as easily as with a spider. $90.

Interestingly, Warn has one that looks to be exactly the same at a higher price.
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
CoreyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,254
I think the other benefit is that top port....
CoreyZ is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
Another option is the MOPAR DMC1659744 - MOPAR® Differential Cover Skid Plate

It's a half shell so rocks won't sneak in there as easily as with a spider. $90.

Interestingly, Warn has one that looks to be exactly the same at a higher price.
Yeah forgot about the skids. That's a good option and cheaper than both.
Bent jeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
CoreyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,254
Skids are nice... but a pain to deal with checking fluid levels etc. Just one more thing to undo when you gotta change the fluid too, even if it is the same bolts.
CoreyZ is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
Strokerswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyZ View Post
I think the other benefit is that top port....
That's a huge bonus to my eye.

Anyone who has laid under a vehicle trying to get gear lube from a bottle through a hose into the housing knows what I mean. Jeeps are quite a bit more accessible and easier than others, but still...

The top fill port would make it as easy as dumping oil in a valve cover.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
'98 TJ SE - '99 TJ Sahara - '12 JK Arctic - '13 JK Sahara

'19 Ford F-150 RCSB 4X4
Strokerswild is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokerswild View Post
That's a huge bonus to my eye.

Anyone who has laid under a vehicle trying to get gear lube from a bottle through a hose into the housing knows what I mean. Jeeps are quite a bit more accessible and easier than others, but still...

The top fill port would make it as easy as dumping oil in a valve cover.
Can u not just use a pump? That's what I've always done.
Bent jeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,721
I'll probably just get spyders for mine.

U can get front and rear under 200.00
Bent jeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,120
I like the inspection hole for two reasons one is you can actually see your gear teeth and easier to fill. It is well made and looks and feels like it can take a hit but so do other aftermarket ones. The plastic AEV buffalo is cheesy and is going to be destroyed the first time it makes contact with a rock. Odd thing is I could only take 1.75 qts of gear oil after installing it.
vanhalo likes this.
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
Odd thing is I could only take 1.75 qts of gear oil after installing it.
Well that's concerning.....
vanhalo likes this.
Bent jeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Comanche Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,148
If you do get a new cover, might consider getting a Lube Locker gasket.
LubeLocker - The Ultimate Drivetrain Gaskets
It is so nice to just pull the cover, clean-inspect the carrier/gears, reinstall with the same gasket and refill.
Pretty spendy, but works excellent.
__________________
'14 JKUR-X Anvil, Auto w/4.10. Loaded like a baked potato
Mods: Everything needed to go anywhere in style. [FONT=Garamond][FONT=Garamond]
Comanche Scott is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche Scott View Post
If you do get a new cover, might consider getting a Lube Locker gasket.
LubeLocker - The Ultimate Drivetrain Gaskets
It is so nice to just pull the cover, clean-inspect the carrier/gears, reinstall with the same gasket and refill.
Pretty spendy, but works excellent.
The website says reuse is not recommended....
Bent jeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche Scott View Post
If you do get a new cover, might consider getting a Lube Locker gasket.
LubeLocker - The Ultimate Drivetrain Gaskets
It is so nice to just pull the cover, clean-inspect the carrier/gears, reinstall with the same gasket and refill.
Pretty spendy, but works excellent.
a $6 tube of RVT is hard to beat and fool proof. Been doing it that way for 40 years and never had a leak (other then from the factory)
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
a $6 tube of RVT is hard to beat and fool proof. Been doing it that way for 40 years and never had a leak (other then from the factory)
Yeah it's kind of hard justifying 20 bucks on a gasket when about 1/4 of that 6 dollar tube of rtv will work just fine.

If they were reusable I could see the point.
Bent jeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Thread Starter
  #22
Jeeper
 
Strokerswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent jeep View Post
Can u not just use a pump? That's what I've always done.

Hell no. I'm old school and stubborn.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
'98 TJ SE - '99 TJ Sahara - '12 JK Arctic - '13 JK Sahara

'19 Ford F-150 RCSB 4X4
Strokerswild is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokerswild View Post
Hell no. I'm old school and stubborn.
Lol I've got similar personality traits, but dang I guess I'm not THAT bad.

Plus I'm incredibly lazy, so that helps.
Bent jeep is offline   Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I like the inspection hole for two reasons one is you can actually see your gear teeth and easier to fill. It is well made and looks and feels like it can take a hit but so do other aftermarket ones. The plastic AEV buffalo is cheesy and is going to be destroyed the first time it makes contact with a rock. Odd thing is I could only take 1.75 qts of gear oil after installing it.
Think I'm gonna order a pair of these. Looks solid!!
bonedr is online now   Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
TerraSol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lanzarote, a small Spanish island
Posts: 333
Mine arrived Friday, they are solid! Now need to find the time to get em on... Anyone else install them yet? Question regarding them take 1.75 qts of oil after installing... that ok?
vanhalo likes this.
__________________
2017 JKR Gobi

2014 JKURX Anvil | Sold BUILD THREAD
TerraSol is offline   Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraSol View Post
Mine arrived Friday, they are solid! Now need to find the time to get em on... Anyone else install them yet? Question regarding them take 1.75 qts of oil after installing... that ok?
Post pics after install!!

Question: The 2 fluid level ports . . I'm guessing the bottom port is to check the fluid level for the front axle and the top for the rear??
bonedr is online now   Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #27
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraSol View Post
Mine arrived Friday, they are solid! Now need to find the time to get em on... Anyone else install them yet? Question regarding them take 1.75 qts of oil after installing... that ok?
AEV told me that is normal.
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #28
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedr View Post
Post pics after install!!

Question: The 2 fluid level ports . . I'm guessing the bottom port is to check the fluid level for the front axle and the top for the rear??
correct
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
correct
Thanks. After filled with oil, I assume the level will be at or just below the port.
bonedr is online now   Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #30
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,120
fill so it just starts to come out the hole. the holes are marked F and R.

jadmt is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.